Throne Room Theater - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #361 of 487 Old 08-06-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
Its definitely a pain. I figured the grouting would be the fun(easy) part!.......
Hehehe

I've never used an epoxy grout, so hopefully it will be easy to use. Getting the grout haze off the tile can be time consuming!
quamosa likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 487 Old 08-07-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Hehehe

I've never used an epoxy grout, so hopefully it will be easy to use. Getting the grout haze off the tile can be time consuming!
Hopefully I can get started this afternoon and have some pics to post. I ordered some $$$ glow in the dark grout additive then realized it may not work well with midnight black grout. Doh!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My First Build Ever in progress
post #363 of 487 Old 08-08-2015, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The epoxy grout was very easy to use. Mixing it was the hardest part as it got closer to the correct consistency.

I didn't have any grout haze issues. It seemed to wipe right off. The kit I bought came with an additive to clean the haze. All in all it went pretty well. If I ever tile again I don't see any reason not to just use the same kit.

Hard to take pics of it since the grout is as black as the tile but here's a pic. It looks pretty swanky to me. =)

Next up will be painting the bathroom with a dark gray and then installing the vanity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 487 Old 08-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
I received both the Old Masters penetrating stain and the gel stain today and was able to get a 1st coat down on some scrap plywood and oak board. I can say that I really like the color of this stain. I think it just may work with the color scheme of the theater.
Can you post some pics of the cans of stain that you used? Or links to the product?

Looks Great!
post #365 of 487 Old 08-10-2015, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post
Can you post some pics of the cans of stain that you used? Or links to the product?

Looks Great!
Thanks! Here is what I used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old masters.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1260777  

Last edited by quamosa; 02-17-2016 at 02:31 PM.
post #366 of 487 Old 08-17-2015, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Didn't have much time to start painting the bathroom so I decided to trim out one window to see if I could do it.

I like how it turned out. Not sure what the standard is for basement windows but I went with a 1/8th inch reveal.

hltr likes this.

post #367 of 487 Old 08-18-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice work....I can't wait to see the final product.
post #368 of 487 Old 08-18-2015, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLife View Post
Nice work....I can't wait to see the final product.
Thanks! Staying on course is hard this summer. My completion target is in perpetual motion. Gotta muscle through a little on the weeknights to make up for lost time. This evening I finished the window trim.

I had a half inch gap above the theater rear door so I stuffed it with Roxul scraps I had left over from the acoustic panels. Since I left the brick mold on the front theater doors I decided to install brick mold on the rear door as well to match the look.

post #369 of 487 Old 08-20-2015, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When you are done, you got to consider hosting an opening party. The DMV AVS community needs to be more active than other cities I've been reading about.
post #370 of 487 Old 08-21-2015, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes I'm definitely considering hosting an opening party or being part of a theater crawl. But first I've gotta finish hiding all of my mistakes.

post #371 of 487 Old 09-04-2015, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Haven't got much done in the past month as I've been helping my mother renovate her rental kitchen. Im taking off a few days so I can get back on track.

Yesterday I painted the linen closet, bathroom, and under stair closet with a dark gray.

I installed the vanity today but still need to connect the drain.

post #372 of 487 Old 09-07-2015, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Shower head and handle installed and functional.

The plumbing had been done over 8 years ago. Wow time flies. It looks like they ran the shower lines too close to the shower wall. The installed handle protrudes an inch and a half too far out from the wall. Maybe I can get a longer replacement handle to cover the gap??

Faucet handles spout and drain installed. Toilet valve installed. Standard fare.

post #373 of 487 Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Figured out how to move the door handle up a few inches and out of the way of the acoustic panels. Popping out and swapping the plastic pieces on top and below the strike plate gave me just enough space to clear the acoustic panel which will go on the door. Yessss.

I cut out a 2" circle of wood, stuffed and glued it inside the existing door hole. I centered it in the door so I would have a valley to fill with the filler on both sides of the door.

Then I filled the theater door hole with a few coats of bondo and painted it in a satin version of the wall color.

I also painted the rear door and installed a satin door knob.

post #374 of 487 Old 09-29-2015, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Haven't had time to post. Just finished the rental kitchen remodel. Looks great. Back to our regularly scheduled program..

Panels up on the doors finally.

I painted a contractors pack of base trim for the media room area outside the theater yet to install.

I bought 500ft of zoned audio control wire which is a combo wire with 4 speaker wires and Ethernet in one. I also bought 3 Dayton audio 6" sealed back ceiling speakers with port holes. They sound nice. I'll be running the wires and installing these for the media room very soon.

I also bought more GOM to wrap the door which will hide the av rack. I'm hoping the IR blaster will still see through to the Grafik eye on the opposite side of the theater.

post #375 of 487 Old 10-06-2015, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ran ethernet and audio cables and installed 2 of the speaker zones and a Bluetooth receiver for streaming music from mobile devices.

post #376 of 487 Old 10-06-2015, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Drilled holes for the toilet flange and used tapcons to secure it. Installing the tapcons in the concrete was so much harder than drilling the holes through the granite.

Thinking I may buy some doors this weekend... Hmmm

post #377 of 487 Old 10-08-2015, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Toilet flange.. ughh - you just gave me some seriously bad memories of a bathroom re-do that I did a couple years ago.. ever try to remove an oldschool lead poured flange??... needless to say, not fun..

Great looking theater..

post #378 of 487 Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRwOOD73 View Post
Toilet flange.. ughh - you just gave me some seriously bad memories of a bathroom re-do that I did a couple years ago.. ever try to remove an oldschool lead poured flange??... needless to say, not fun..

Great looking theater..
Lead? Sheesh. There are a few things I don't want to do again after I finish this build. Plumbing is one of them. After the toilet goes in.. I'm done for a long while. Ha

dRwOOD73 likes this.

post #379 of 487 Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Bluetooth gets a little dodgy when I'm in the bathroom which will be a no go for the bathroom zone. I'm going to look into some kind of low budget NAS (raspberry pi?) or WiFi audio component to replace the Bluetooth...

post #380 of 487 Old 10-13-2015, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Damn I hate toilets and can't wait to get back to the theater room. Last night I installed the toilet with a waxless ring but it didn't fit in the 2.5" hole I have in the floor after fitting the 3" hole with a repair flange.

The toilet wobbled a bit much. So I removed the ring and installed the reinforced wax ring which came with the toilet. The wax ring was basically smushed beyond recognition and the reinforced funnel partly cracked. It would not fit either. I felt the toilet was too loose so to test I pulled gently on the toilet and was able to lift the toilet and flange with 4 tapcons right out of the concrete. No bueno pardone me.

So I went out today and bought the next size up Tapcon and drill bit as well as some masonry spax screws of the same size as the tapcons that pulled out. Well I screwed in the spax and it went in tight.. nice but one more turn and the head of the spax snapped right off. GRRR. So I got my new drill bit and drilled the sucker out and drilled the other 3 holes. Finally I screwed in the thicker tapcons and got a very tight fit.

I also bought a regular wax only ring and a neoprene ring because I hated getting wax on everything and it was hard to wash off. I put in the neoprene and it works well. The only issue is there is a slight wobble from front to back that I'll need to shim out. I pondered getting shims today but decided I probably wouldn't need them. GRRR. Anyhow the toilet works and no leaks so far.

Moral of the story is to know your final floor height before letting a handyman put in a permanent flange -- or break up the floor to fix it as needed -- or cut your tiles around the entire flange not just the hole -- or just pay a professional to do it.

post #381 of 487 Old 10-14-2015, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Man, I feel your pain.. I'm surprised those Tapcoms pulled right out like that - I was fortunate enough to have put down new 2x6 reinforcement "studs" under the flange mounting are ( there was some rot when I got in there that needed adressed ), that gave the screws plenty to bite on.. glad you got it sorted out - now go finish that HT

post #382 of 487 Old 10-22-2015, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Doors.. more doors.. more doors galore.

2 down 4 to go. These little door mounting clips save time. But I think the time savings get balanced out when I remove the pre hung door trim pieces to install the clips.

post #383 of 487 Old 10-22-2015, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4 down 2 to go...

I still need 2 louvered doors. One for the AV rack and another for the utility room.
I need a 22 inch door for the AV rack. I don't want to custom order at twice the cost so I wonder if I could trim 1.5 inches off the hinge side or even 1 inch on both hinge and knob sides...

I'm seeing in my crystal ball ... a day of trim and base molding in my near future.

post #384 of 487 Old 10-29-2015, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Base trim is mostly done on the outside of the theater. I just need to add trim to the bathroom, bottom of the inside of the linen closet, the inside of the linen closet, and the 50 inches or so of hallway on the side where the utility room louvered door will go.

Moving back on to the theater build:

Last night I ripped 8 2.25" inch strips of primed MDF for the theater door trims. I'm going to route them with a 45 degree router bit to get a similar look I used for the av rack and rear bar trim. I'll probably start with trimming out the two theater entrance doors.
JRock3x8 likes this.

post #385 of 487 Old 10-31-2015, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Here is what I use for shimming, they work great:

http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Shim-JS500B...6301890&sr=8-1

After you get them in place you can do a nice bead of caulk to finish it off.
quamosa likes this.

post #386 of 487 Old 11-02-2015, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hltr, I had some composite shims left over from framing the basement entry door. I only needed a small slither of the shims.. maybe 1/16th of an inch to steady the toilet. I added two slithers one on each diagonal side of the rear of the toilet. I can't even tell its shimmed by looking at it so I didn't even caulk it.

post #387 of 487 Old 11-02-2015, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Had some family stuff come up this weekend so I didn't get to the theater trim work but I did spend some time last night turning these slabs into doors.

I bought a routing jig kit to flush mount all the hinges latches and strikes. Worked well.

I'll probably hang one or both of these doors into place tonight while having the game going.

I've decided to play it safe and just make room in the AV rack for the full 24 inch door instead of ripping it thinner 2 inches. I can take out one stud on the left where the rack is and then replace the right stud with a few 3/4 plywood strips I have lying around. This will make the trim.on this door about 1.5 inches instead of 2.25 that I'm using for the other theater doors.

Painting/priming these doors is going to be fun. Might have to crack open up the paint sprayer air tool..

post #388 of 487 Old 11-06-2015, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ended up replacing each stud on the AV rack entry with 3/4 inch pine boards. This gave me perfect space to fit the door and I didn't have to destroy the drywall inside the rack doing so.

I routered the mdf trim for the theater doors and installed. I had to improvise the cuts on both the rear door and AV rack door as I couldn't find my never used scribe. It turned out pretty well.

I'll need to buy an oil based primer and sand a little before I paint these mdf trim pieces. I'll also buy more trim for the theater base moulding and router the same 45 degree angle to it.

Both louvered doors are finished and fully functional with stops and hardware. Also all visible areas have been trimmed in the outside rec room.

post #389 of 487 Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Nice work. Keep the updates coming.
quamosa likes this.

My in progress build thread: The Salt Mine
post #390 of 487 Old 11-13-2015, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looking really good. I have a bathroom to finish off as well. Just need to set the toilet, sink and shower. Fun fun!

James

My theater build 2015 (Circle N theater)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page