Throne Room Theater - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #421 of 487 Old 03-10-2016, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post
Carpet looks great. Well done.
It has an interesting sheen which I wasn't able to see in the sample. Makes it hard to take accurate pics of it. It is darker than the walls even though it doesn't appear so. Needs a thorough vacuuming but very comfortable on the feet.

My First Build Ever in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 487 Old 03-10-2016, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today I pulled the trigger on a budget 4 pak of Russound rs63 ceiling speakers. They angle 15 degrees and have a Kevlar cone. I think they will match well with my current kevlar base. I'll be installing them in the front and mid soffits for Atmos. They will be about 9 feet behind the front row and 9 feet in front of it. This should keep me within Dolby specs at around 45 degrees from MLP. I'll power them with a Marantz 7009 so as not to break the budget because I still need to furnish the rest of the basement.

post #423 of 487 Old 03-14-2016, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I installed the rsa-63 speakers and angled them all towards the center of the room. I think they sound very good in the highs crisp bur not harsh at all and midrange loud and clear and seem to timbre match my existing speakers. I haven't really checked for the low end performance. I don't have an Atmos receiver yet so I installed the front pair in series with the front left and right channels and the rear pair in series with my rear surrounds. This gives me a whole lot of sound envelopment. I cant wait to run these with Atmos! My pre Atmos set up:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 487 Old 03-14-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Really like the strip lighting around the riser. Quick question if you don't mind; how are you hiding the plugin that the strip uses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #425 of 487 Old 03-14-2016, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post
Really like the strip lighting around the riser. Quick question if you don't mind; how are you hiding the plugin that the strip uses?

The plugins sit in a shelf in my AV Rack. I ran the wiring under the raised floor and inside the walls and ceiling. The wires enter the rack through my conduit control panel.

post #426 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 534
does your back row have any blockage? the bottom of that screen seems really low to me - maybe it's just the stage.
post #427 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
The plugins sit in a shelf in my AV Rack. I ran the wiring under the raised floor and inside the walls and ceiling. The wires enter the rack through my conduit control panel.

Thanks for that, I'm assuming you went with low voltage lighting?

post #428 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for that, I'm assuming you went with low voltage lighting?

Yes I am using low voltage RGB strip lighting in the riser and soffit and blue strips under the bars. I will eventually replace those with RGB.

post #429 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
does your back row have any blockage? the bottom of that screen seems really low to me - maybe it's just the stage.
According to my wife when I sit straight up in the front row and her in the back, the top of my head slightly covers the bottom of the screen but it wasn't a problem for her. According to the calcs, I still need about 2.5-4" of additional height to the rear row for total clearance. The bottom of the screen is about 19" from the floor.

post #430 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
According to my wife when I sit straight up in the front row and her in the back, the top of my head slightly covers the bottom of the screen but it wasn't a problem for her. According to the calcs, I still need about 2.5-4" of additional height to the rear row for total clearance. The bottom of the screen is about 19" from the floor.
I think I'll be in the same boat. Thinking about doing another 2" mini riser (I already have an 8 inch riser and a 4 inch mini riser) but I'll wait until it's all done to see what we're dealing with. I also don't have chairs for my front row yet so that helps in "solving" the problem.
post #431 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 96

I hate being the turd in the punch bowl, after all most of your build has been great especially considering you are not a professional.

but....

I do not have enough words to describe how radically insane this is. It appears you have up to 12 unprotected 12-2 runs of romex jammed into a single box; no clamps, pairs running through the same knockout.

I also have other concerns for other wiring things I have seen in this build.

I am all about the DIY but I am seriously concerned for you and your families safety at this point. I suggest you carefully walk to the panel, switch it off, open the wall up and take care of this mess.

Good luck.

~JH
post #432 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Johnny Hotnuts,
The clamps came preinstalled with those boxes, they are inside the box and to the rear of it. I don't remember much of what I did but I'll take a look this evening.

Also, can you point out other issues you may have seen that I can add to my list for review?

Last edited by quamosa; 03-15-2016 at 12:01 PM.
post #433 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The main concern with with the install is the sheer number of potential circuits you have running into a single gang of boxes. I don't have the code book in front of me and it is likely different from the requirements in your area but there is a definite limit to the number of separate circuits per box. There will also be a limit to the number of junctions per circuit per box. It is interesting the things you find in the code book, stuff you wouldn't have necessarily thought of otherwise. One thing that the inspector has nailed me on in the past is all terminations must have a staple within 12" of the box. Did you have your work inspected?

Do note that I am not an electrician.

post #434 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did you have your work inspected?
Not by an electrician by trade. We have a family friend who is a home builder and has built homes for 30+ years in our area. I had him come over and take a look at our entire basement before the walls were up. He seemed pretty knowledgable of the various codes so I didnt move forward with an actual inspection.

post #435 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Johnny Hotnuts,
The clamps came preinstalled with those boxes, they are inside the box and to the rear of it. I don't remember much of what I did but I'll take a look this evening.

Also, can you point out other issues you may have seen that I can add to my list for review?

-That is a device box, not a junction box. Should be using a junction.

-Can not mix HV and LV in the same box without a partition. <and then I wouldnt recommend it.

-Boxes with NMSC clamping with a box have holes barely large enough for one 12-2 line per hole and are rowed/spaced evenly along the back of the box. This box appears to have 2 NMSC cables joined through one hole. A compression point will cause wire damage/fire risk. I know you said this box had built in clamps ....but I am not seeing it; the holes look WAY too big- It is not the best picture however.

-No idea what is going on with the blue split loom but there appears to have no sort of protection on the knockout. HV or LV this isnt good.

-Overall wiring looks sloppy. Didnt remove excess sheathing, wires mismatched in length.

As far as other things....

Gouie 'may' be correct with the number of circuits in a single box. I dont know, I cant really see much of what is going on.

He is also correct about a physical connector within 'X' inches (*I know Ore/Wash but your area may be different in recommended distance). This was also a concern in other pics.

-It also looked as if you were running THHN wire outside of conduit on the riser. The plastic wire track is not acceptable.

I am not an electrician by license but I assist and inspect the work of those who are. As far as DIY is concerned I fully support those who do their own electrical but it is imperative to do better work than actual electricians.

All joking aside.....THIS should be the goal for the home guy:

~JH
bpassman, quamosa and OJ Bartley like this.
post #436 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is good info Jonny. I just had a quick look at the code for my area, number of conductors as follows:

3"x2"x2.5" box with #14 conductor, max conductors is 5
3"x2"x3" box with #14 conductor, max conductors is 7

One conductor is defined as a wire that carries electricity. A single 14/2 is 3 conductors. In a box with 2 14/2 the 2 bare or ground count as one conductor. So, for a 3"x2"x2.5" box the maximum number of 14/2 is 2. In your case (picture isn't quite clear) you might be okay on this point as your boxes look deeper than standard. If they are 3" deep you are okay with 3 14/2. I would agree with Jonny on the other counts however; this is an odd looking box to me with very large knock outs and is functioning as a junction box with no actual switches. There is a mixture of low and high voltage and the wiring is a little on the messy side.
quamosa likes this.
post #437 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Should add, the one thing that I am uncertain of is whether or not a pigtail counts as a conductor for those situations where you have two switches on the same circuit.
post #438 of 487 Old 03-15-2016, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thats a heck of a list you got there! Thanks for taking the time. Where were you when I was still on page 1 of my build?

About the device box, the Grafik eye is one great big 4 gang device so I figure a device box should be fine? And I'm not really using it so much as a junction but really to run the circuits to the Grafik Eye.

I agree no LV with HV without a divider as I am using this configuration in 4 other outlets in the build. However, using a divider is not really possible with a Grafik Eye since the LV and HV both must be run to the connectors on the back of the Grafik Eye. The instructions do mention to try keeping the LV away from the HV. I don't have the LV hooked up... yet... muhuhaha

In the end I decided against using the unterminated smurf tube. Its there just for decoration.

The wires in the riser are all low voltage, basically in wall rated speaker wires. Those wires out of conduit you mentioned are 4 conductor wires (RGB) arrayed flat. I chose them for the low profile. The plastic covering you see is just the sheathing.

Sloppy wiring? Guilty as charged!

Hmmm... I'm surprised you didn't mention my rack wall box... now that thurr is some shoddy work.. *slips away to delete all images of rack wall box*

post #439 of 487 Old 03-21-2016, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No pics but some stuff happened. I hung a mirror and vanity light in the bathroom. I installed all the vent registers in the rec room and theater. I installed the return grill in the rear theater ceiling. I installed almost all remaining switch and outlet plates in the rec room and theater. Finally I painted and nailed in base molding behind the mini fridge. Put together the pool table and air hockey table in the rec room. Boring stuff so no pics for now.

Remaining theater items,
1) stain and install quarter round on wet bar floor
2) Stain and install crown molding in wet bar built in and cabinets.
3) Build two more panels for the theater wall and rack door. The rack door will slide sideways using an auto open drawer rail system.
4) run the air return to the air conditioning system
5) wet bar back splash
6) run aux wiring to all keystone outlets
7) possible nightskymural painting
8) ...

post #440 of 487 Old 03-21-2016, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In other news, my father in law, a theater buff brought over Captain America: Winter Soldier to watch in the theater for the first time. He had me crank it up higher than I ever have. He was ecstatic! The speakers can really crank in my room and I couldn't hear any distortion or vibrations. He was impressed with the screen, projector, subs, and voice clarity at high volume. He couldn't tell where all my subs were which was great. He has a decent setup but he now wants his own dedicated theater now. Ha I warned him years in advance.

He preferred the front row which was surprising to my wife and myself. We prefer the second row. He is about 6'2" and sitting in the front, the top of his head is in line with the top of the bottom bar of 2.35 content so there was no blockage at all. This would not be the case with 16:9.. for that I would definitely need the extra 3 or 4 inches of height in the second row. Hopefully whatever seating I go with I could just install 4 inch feet as opposed to building and carpeting another riser box.

I've found I actually like having a couch in there where I can lay sideways but we shall see. I still have my sights set on 6 Fusion jives... preferably fully separated by full cup holder not the insert cup holder.
JRock3x8 likes this.

Last edited by quamosa; 03-21-2016 at 08:04 PM.
post #441 of 487 Old 03-21-2016, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
In other news, my father in law, a theater buff brought over Captain America: Winter Soldier to watch in the theater for the first time. He had me crank it up higher than I ever have. He was ecstatic! The speakers can really crank in my room and I couldn't hear any distortion or vibrations. He was impressed with the screen, projector, subs, and voice clarity at high volume. He couldn't tell where all my subs were which was great. He has a decent setup but he now wants his own dedicated theater now. Ha I warned him years in advance.

He preferred the front row which was surprising to my wife and myself. We prefer the second row. He is about 6'2" and sitting in the front, the top of his head is in line with the top of the bottom bar of 2.35 content so there was no blockage at all. This would not be the case with 16:9.. for that I would definitely need the extra 3 or 4 inches of height in the second row. Hopefully whatever seating I go with I could just install 4 inch feet as opposed to building and carpeting another riser box.

I've found I actually like having a couch in there where I can lay sideways but we shall see. I still have my sights set on 6 Fusion jives... preferably fully separated by full cup holder not the insert cup holder.
Good to have a thumbs up from a fellow theater guy, even better when it's your father-in-law. My brother-in-law has over $20,000 worth of audio gear sitting in an untreated room in his basement collecting dust. Brings a tear to my eye. No one else I know has anything more than a flat screen TV.

I have waffled back and forth about upgrading my triple seater reclining sofa for proper theater seats. I tend to crash in front of a movie whenever I'm sick so if I had the luxury of two rows one would definitely remain a sofa.

Last edited by DavidK442; 03-21-2016 at 10:19 PM.
post #442 of 487 Old 03-22-2016, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
over $20,000 worth of audio gear sitting in an untreated room in his basement collecting dust.
Thats well over the cost of my entire basement build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I have waffled back and forth about upgrading my triple seater reclining sofa for proper theater seats. I tend to crash in front of a movie whenever I'm sick so if I had the luxury of two rows one would definitely remain a sofa.
There's been quite a few nights so far that I've woken up in the middle of the night realizing I'm still in the theater. So comfortable. I'm going waffle on this decision down to the very last minute.

post #443 of 487 Old 04-08-2016, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Updates are slow since hurting my back again recently. I did get the quarter rounds stained and dry fit in the wet bar area. Still need to get and stain some more oak ply paneling and crown molding... Pics soooon...

post #444 of 487 Old 04-14-2016, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A little all over the place but trying to get the build moving again. I made the following purchases recently:

the remaining oak ply pieces to finish the wet bar all cut, with my direction, to surprising precision by the aloof yet polite millennial working the blue box wood cutter, thumbs up to him

two soft closing 18" drawer slides for the rack door. Waffled on whether to do soft closing or self opening.. A slide that did both wouldn't work.. and self opening is just plain lazy Can't wait to start this mini project...

Some screws and a stubby drill bit and a very cool flexible right angle drill attachment for screwing down the wet bar's upper bar top above the wet bar countertop... I only have 4 1/4 space there...

This weekend I hope to have all wet bar oak pieces cut nailed and stained and hopefully finish up the remaining wall panel and rack door.... Then chill on Sunday in preparation for the return of the Thrones

Last edited by quamosa; 04-14-2016 at 08:27 AM.
post #445 of 487 Old 04-14-2016, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Hotnuts View Post

All joking aside.....THIS should be the goal for the home guy:

~JH
Haha... I sent that to @TMcG once. That picture brings the lulz. He liked it. That would drive me nuts. I think I am the total opposite of OCD, I need a little chaos. haha. Whoever did that needs medication. lol.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #446 of 487 Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finish line is still a moving target but is in sight! Gotta stay focused

post #447 of 487 Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Haha... I sent that to @TMcG once. That picture brings the lulz. He liked it. That would drive me nuts. I think I am the total opposite of OCD, I need a little chaos. haha. Whoever did that needs medication. lol.
As nice as this looks there is a real grey area if this would fly as an inspector would cite that the exposed NMC would need some form of protection/covering.

Also....the two single gang boxes, on the outside bridged by unsecured romex? Even within 6" this woudnt fly (*I may be wrong about that but I have never seen it or would do it!). Seems odd that with all the time put into routing the wires that this would be overlooked.

~JH
post #448 of 487 Old 04-14-2016, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Hotnuts View Post
As nice as this looks there is a real grey area if this would fly as an inspector would cite that the exposed NMC would need some form of protection/covering.
~JH
I wondered about that as I could see a 4 year old poking or pulling at the wires with a fork! I suppose metallic sheathing would make for a far less interesting picture.

post #449 of 487 Old 04-17-2016, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Showed the wet bar some love this weekend. Its been feeling neglected.

Before

Before After

After
Cksqurd likes this.

post #450 of 487 Old 04-23-2016, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Started on the hopefully final 2 wall panels. One will be used as a sliding door for the AV rack and the other for absorption and approximate symmetry with the AV rack door.

Rack door

Rack door drawer slide dry fit... the slide will be recessed flush with the door to keep the door close to the wall to make it blend in with the rest of the wall panels.

Somewhat symmetric absorption panel...

If all goes well and time and energy permits, I will wrap and mount these panels tomorrow and be done in time for Game of Thrones

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page