Throne Room Theater - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #451 of 487 Old 04-24-2016, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Made this routing jig then realized I could just freehand the cuts in less time

Hanging the door made easy by using this level piece of wood to sit the door on while securing the drawer slider exactly where I want the door

Hanging the door was a pain as the door Sat too flush with the wall making it tough to slide. I had to add wooden spacers to the sliders to add a slight gap between the door and wall.

Its really cool how the door slowly slides to a close when you try to quickly slide it shut.

Will wrap the door and wall panel in GOM next.
kjlewie and Shadowed like this.

My First Build Ever in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 487 Old 04-27-2016, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Panels all wrapped up with somewhere to go...

Not perfectly symmetrical.. just a couple inches off due to the Grafik eye.. WAF thought it would still work so...

I may forgo the symmetry altogether and shrink down the non door absorption panel to line up vertically with the square panels. We'll see how I feel after a few weeks of OCD

The room feels even more warm and comfortable with the rack covered. I like it. I can still see the lights from the components so I may line the inside of the door with my left over absoprtion pieces at some point in the distant future but next up is really finishing the wet bar for real.

post #453 of 487 Old 04-27-2016, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
Panels all wrapped up with somewhere to go...

Not perfectly symmetrical.. just a couple inches off due to the Grafik eye.. WAF thought it would still work so...

I may forgo the symmetry altogether and shrink down the non door absorption panel to line up vertically with the square panels. We'll see how I feel after a few weeks of OCD

The room feels even more warm and comfortable with the rack covered. I like it. I can still see the lights from the components so I may line the inside of the door with my left over absoprtion pieces at some point in the distant future but next up is really finishing the wet bar for real.
Nice job, room is really turning out great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 487 Old 04-27-2016, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksqurd View Post
Nice job, room is really turning out great!
Thanks!

post #455 of 487 Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Between multiple birthdays and mothers days and soccer games and everything else I've been squeezing in some finishing items here and there.

I've finally secured the wet bar countertop. I flipped the mini fridge door so it would swing open to the left and recessed it into place. A bit concerning is that the instructions say it shouldn't be recessed or built in and needs 5 inches all around it for proper cooling..
... oops. It did a good job of chilling a few beers last night before GoT. Ah well it was a gift.

I picked up some red oak crown for the built in behind the wet bar. Hopefully will stain it this week and mount them this weekend.

I've just about finished putting in recessed trim and lights in the entire basement, theater included. I plan to paint all ceiling registers, wall plates, and atmos speaker covers to match the wall they are on. I plan to order paint matched spray paint for the registers.

I've gotten a semi green light to get the theater seating and denon atmos receiver but I'm stalling as I will need to build a 4" tall mini platform for the rear row.

post #456 of 487 Old 05-24-2016, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
I've gotten a semi green light ...

What does a semi green light look/sound like?
post #457 of 487 Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
What does a semi green light look/sound like?
It looks like the WAF giving me the go ahead without making clear eye contact.

Either way I just got slapped with some major car repairs so now the WAF can sleep soundly tonight as my new toys will have to wait a bit longer... my older toy (the car) got jealous.
JRock3x8 likes this.

post #458 of 487 Old 06-05-2016, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Squeezed in a little time this weekend to start the wet bar crown.

I made a crap load of these little crown backers cut 35 degree angles out of 2x4s and screwed them into wood or studs.

I also finished spray painting and installing the theater return grille and airtight recessed light trim to match the black ceiling.

post #459 of 487 Old 06-13-2016, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got the crown molding up over the wet bar finally. Luckily was able to recover from a few bad cuts.

WAF wants me to finish up the base trim in the rec room bathroom next... once that's done then back to the wet bar again. Wet bar items remaining:
Touch ups on crown molding
Stone Mosaic
Caulking
Wooden outlet covers
False doors over drain in built in
Secure bar top

post #460 of 487 Old 06-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Got the crown molding up over the wet bar finally. Luckily was able to recover from a few bad cuts.

WAF wants me to finish up the base trim in the rec room bathroom next... once that's done then back to the wet bar again. Wet bar items remaining:
Touch ups on crown molding
Stone Mosaic
Caulking
Wooden outlet covers
False doors over drain in built in
Secure bar top
Lists of things to do are the key as you are doing perfectly! The WAF is the most important part of the build as I learned. Remember the balance the weight of her needs and how her needs fit into the big picture and you will accomplish whatever part of the theater you like.

I love those fabric panels with what I would call GIANT bevel edges. How did you make such awesome and huge "bevel" edges for the fabric panels! I'm jealous! I love this build of yours!!! A+ A+ A+!!!!!!
post #461 of 487 Old 06-14-2016, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLCMT View Post
How did you make such awesome and huge "bevel" edges for the fabric panels!
With lots of patience. The "bevel" edges are just strips of 1/8 plywood ripped 2 inches wide then nailed and glued to the inside of a frame of studs ripped 1" wide. Wrapping them tightly gives the beveled look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLCMT View Post
I love this build of yours!!! A+ A+ A+!!!!!!
Thanks for the compliment! This build doesn't want to end!

post #462 of 487 Old 06-15-2016, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
This build doesn't want to end!
Your wife has patience. Mine like's watching movies almost as much as I do and was pushing me to finishing after just a couple months.

Your theater is really turning out well.
post #463 of 487 Old 07-15-2016, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Weekend after weekend of obligations and stuff and now the beach. However this is the best kind of theater distraction. The good news is that when I get back I am going to make 2 big advancements. One for seating and the other for Atmos! Until then it's fun in the sand!

post #464 of 487 Old 07-25-2016, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Weekend after weekend of obligations and stuff and now the beach. However this is the best kind of theater distraction. The good news is that when I get back I am going to make 2 big advancements. One for seating and the other for Atmos! Until then it's fun in the sand!
For the furniture upgrade, I'm working on getting 2 rows of 3 Fusion Jives in black leather.
For the AVR, I'm looking at a Denon 6200 and will use my existing AVR to power the soffit speakers for ATMOS.

post #465 of 487 Old 08-04-2016, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New toy just came today! I just love the new electronic smell. Can't wait to crack it open tonight!

post #466 of 487 Old 08-05-2016, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The seats came in today. Delivery guy moved the boxes into the garage for me. Nice. WAF came home from work and helped me move the boxes around to the back door and into the basement. I spent probably an hour setting them all up. It was pretty easy.

The chairs are very comfortable. The fit and measurements were spot on. We watched a movie tonight and the visibility for the back row actually increased from the couches I had. I'm now doubting I will ever even need a mini riser to see the bottom of the screen. Yes!

The fam loves the chairs. We are not missing the couches for one second. The chairs are so much more comfortable and recline all the way to completely vertical. I felt myself starting to doze off while watching a movie.

The only issue I have is one of the usb ports does not work and all but one of the usb port sliders actually stay in place to cover the usb port. I took pics and sent the info out for resolution. Other than that the electric recline works swell and these chairs are very supportive for my back. Hopefully overtime they still hold up.. my back that is

Some pics to prove it happened:

kjlewie likes this.

post #467 of 487 Old 08-09-2016, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since I started running the new Denon amp, the theater room can get pretty muggy on humid days. After putting in the seats I figured it would be a good time to finally finish up the return vent.

Yup, the return is working well.

I was on the fence as to whether I would even need one. I'm so glad I put it in. The comfort level improvement was night and day. The air flows much better and the room stays pretty chilly all day now. Not to mention the air is always fresh. I was concerned I would bring sound into the rest of the house through the return... not so at all.

post #468 of 487 Old 08-09-2016, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I blew my 200 watt Jung plate amp which runs the front 3 subs. I think it was due to the humidity and heat over the weekend. I am replacing it with an iNuke 1000. This should give me alot more power and hopefully more reliability. Hopefully the fan in the unit isn't too overly loud.

I plan to replace the jung amp with another lower power plate amp to run my puck bass shakers.

post #469 of 487 Old 08-09-2016, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As each day passes I realize how much of a bust buy the Xbox one was. No more Verizon FiOS app, Kinect unreliable at long distance, and I can't even get Atmos out of it.. SMH. No way in hell at this point can it be the center of my entertainment system. Highly laughable. I'll probably keep it for the kids and use their PS3 to play Atmos Blu rays until I get whatever 4k PlayStation comes out.

post #470 of 487 Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Minor update: finally got a Blu Ray burner and made the 2014 Atmos demo disc. It works in the PS3 in bitstream mode. I gotta say.. ATMOS is pretty amazing. :0

post #471 of 487 Old 09-06-2016, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No pics to prove it but I ended up getting a refurb GTX 730 graphics card for $44. I installed it and my Blu ray player burner into my old PC. I installed 64 bit Windows 10 on it and a few games and decided to make it an HTPC. I placed it on the floor of the av rack behind the sub. I then bought an IOMega Mini keyboard with trackball and an Xbox one wireless controller adapter. So far it looks like it will replace my Xbox one. The few games I have look and perform just as well or better than similar Xbox games. I ran a USB cable from the PC in the rack closet to the rear bar control panel and plugged the 2.4 GHz IOmega keyboard receiver into it and it gives me full coverage from anywhere in the theater. I ran the Xbox wireless adapter to a shelf in the av rack which also gives me full coverage. We played a few games with the Xbox controllers with no issues at all. I did find however that a 32 bit windows 10 install will constantly BSOD when using an Xbox one controller.

Needless to say the rack closet can get pretty warm at times so I'm planning on getting an ACInfinity cabinet fan with thermostat and install it to the door in the back of the av rack to blow cool air to the back of my components.

post #472 of 487 Old 09-09-2016, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The AC infinity fan came tonight. I quickly installed it this evening.The fans blow good air. They are rated at 150+ cfm. So far I've seen the temperature in there drop from 89 to 81 degrees in a few minutes. The fans are pretty quiet and I can't quite make them out when the rack door is closed and I'm about 6 feet away. I may eventually add another set of fans but I want to see how far this one set gets me under normal use.

post #473 of 487 Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thinking out loud... with the kids playing Xbox on zone 2, and myself watching TV in the theater, and 90+ degree humid days I've seen the temps go up to near 100 in the av rack. This while running the fans with the rack door closed. I guess I need to pull the hot air out as the louvers in the side door and the GOM in the front door do not allow the warm air to escape fast enough.

I'm doubting another set of fans will help so I'm thinking I should just save up for a mini split. I could get one of those ceiling units that blow air down and then figure out a way to bring cold air into the projector box and return that air back into the av rack for more cooling and repeat. That way I can close up the rack and the projector box to bring the noise floor down. It would be a win win situation. Hopefully the HOA wouldn't mind me running a small mini split compressor unit "hidden" inside the bushes at the front of my house!

With the temps going down and not much noise coming from the projector or av rack I can wait on the mini split. It would be a pretty cool upgrade. No pun intended.

post #474 of 487 Old 11-03-2016, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We changed our FIOS from business to residential Quantum 150/150. It's been a long time so our ONT box had to changed. I dreaded this because I had the carpet on the stage padded and it was going to be a pain to take apart the side panels so the Verizon tech could reach the ONT.

As I removed the panels they got wedged to the ceiling. One side got a small knick easily covered by touch up paint.. the other side a nice little gash that will need to be filled. No problem. Whatever.

So instead of wedging the panels back in and putting everything back together I decided to fix it.

I pulled up the carpet on the first step. Carefully pulled out each and every staple in the padding and carpet, removed the padding, removed all of the tack strips, vacuumed, and then bagged the mess.

I don't really have any carpet installation tools so I used my air stapler and some good old elbow grease. I was able to lay the carpet back down without it being obvious that there was padding under it before. Now my panels smoothly glide open for access. Yay..

post #475 of 487 Old 01-07-2017, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Look at what Santa dropped off on his way back to the South Pole!

They are playing together nicely. So much for the Kinect...

post #476 of 487 Old 01-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have tried Alexa with the remote as well. It works, but it imports so many iterations of the activities and such...kind of a mess.

post #477 of 487 Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hltr View Post
I have tried Alexa with the remote as well. It works, but it imports so many iterations of the activities and such...kind of a mess.
Yeah the Alexa device discovery for the Logitech is indeed messy. I'm impressed by how well it hears your commands even when you have a movie or show playing. I thought I would have to mute the sound for it to hear me.

post #478 of 487 Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally swapped out the round speaker plates for the square ones. I originally intended on the square plates for a more uniform and somewhat stealthy look. I will also be spray painting them to match the wall color but in a satin finish.

Before

After

Before

After

post #479 of 487 Old 02-23-2017, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally got a few, very comfy, yet affordable counter height chairs for the rear bar. Hopefully they stay comfortable through a 2 to 3 hour movie duration.

post #480 of 487 Old 04-03-2017, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I removed everything on the walls that was white or ivory to spray paint them in a low lustre color matched spray paint.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page