post #31 of 487 Old 02-23-2014, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post

Subscribed! looking awesome! What are the dimensions of the theatre space? Didn't see any specifics...Thx

JMEANS, hello! I just ran down and took some quick measurements.

The screen wall of the theater is 135" wide drywall to drywall.
The entire length of the theater room front to back is 29 feet. The soon to be built screen wall will eat up one foot of that length.
First row seat backs to 12.4" from the screen wall.
2nd row seat back is 18.4" from the screen wall.
3rd row seat back is about 20.4" from screen
4th row is at the wet bar
The rear 3rd of the theater has a 4 foot bump out which houses the AV Rack and wet bar and brings the width back there out to about 15 feet.
The AV Rack closet is approx 4 feet long by 2 feet wide. The AV Rack opening is 4 feet tall by 19 inches wide. I'm hoping that I will have enough space for all the electronic goodness I might need.

Hope this all makes sense! Let me know if you need me to attach any diagrams to the thread. I'm on my work laptop and still have all my sketchups and notes on my other personal laptop.

My First Build Ever in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 487 Old 02-23-2014, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervepf View Post

Looking great! Keep up the good work!

Hey SWERVEPF, thanks for the encouragment. I'm still waiting for you to start putting up some walls!

post #33 of 487 Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

I am simply thrilled to see your build. It reminds me of the fun of my own process. Congrats on the work so far. You have strong passion. Everything looks really good.

Zuluwalker, thanks! I silently oogled your build last year as I was putting mine together. I wanted to go with an Oriental Courtyard theme like you would see in a kung fu movie and it seemed you might've had a similar idea. Your Samurai swords are a great touch! I originally was going to go with the grey walls like you did. My wife convinced me to go with a dark purple wall. I'm in the process of trying to find 5 16 inch wide solid/non fingered columns 3/4 inch thick that I will round off the edges and stain a mahogany color.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 487 Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post

Zuluwalker, thanks! I silently oogled your build last year as I was putting mine together. I wanted to go with an Oriental Courtyard theme like you would see in a kung fu movie and it seemed you might've had a similar idea. Your Samurai swords are a great touch! I originally was going to go with the grey walls like you did. My wife convinced me to go with a dark purple wall. I'm in the process of trying to find 5 16 inch wide solid/non fingered columns 3/4 inch thick that I will round off the edges and stain a mahogany color.

I do love the theme the Samurai sword adds, and thanks for the comments. The dark purple sounds like it may have been a good choice in the end. You will really enjoy having those columns and the beauty of wood in the room.
post #35 of 487 Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks so much for taking the time to measure the space! Wild how identical mine is to yours, even the 4ft bump out at the back. Mine is on the opposite side however still making your plan a great guide for what's possible! Look forward to your progress!!

"The Man Cave is the Warmest Place to Hide..."
post #36 of 487 Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 34
What program did you utilize for your reflections tool?
Thanks
RG

Klipsch Rocks!
post #37 of 487 Old 02-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Quamosa,

Love the build so far.  Looking very good and jealous of the progress.  I started my build about 6 months ago, but everything got put on hold due to other projects (mainly gutting a bathroom).  Your dimensions seem very, very close to mine.  How tall are your ceilings?  You mention on dimensions that the back of the seats for the 2nd row is at 18'4'' and the back of the 3rd row is at 20'4''.  Am I reading that correctly?  If so, are the chairs going to fit and have enough leg room?  I was struggling to fit 2 rows with enough room in the back so I wasn't backed right into the wall.  

Keep up the great work and keep posting!!

post #38 of 487 Old 02-27-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickinAces View Post

Quamosa,
Love the build so far.  Looking very good and jealous of the progress.  I started my build about 6 months ago, but everything got put on hold due to other projects (mainly gutting a bathroom).  Your dimensions seem very, very close to mine.  How tall are your ceilings?  You mention on dimensions that the back of the seats for the 2nd row is at 18'4'' and the back of the 3rd row is at 20'4''.  Am I reading that correctly?  If so, are the chairs going to fit and have enough leg room?  I was struggling to fit 2 rows with enough room in the back so I wasn't backed right into the wall.  

Keep up the great work and keep posting!!

KickinAces, thanks for the encouragement. I had a few setbacks myself but now finally getting back into the project. My ceilings are a meager 8 feet. I wish I had an extra foot to play with but it is what it is. I've made peace with a few limitations and that is one of them. ha Yes you read correctly, my "third row" is actually just a half wall bar which the 2nd row backs onto. These pics show the unfinished half wall from the front and back... I plan to wrap it in plywood.

post #39 of 487 Old 02-27-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I'll trade you!  I am going to be forced to deal with half the room at 7'3'' and the other half (screen side) at 6'9''.  Not happy at all, but as you said: it is what it is.  Does your second row recline at all?  I like the concept of a bar behind the second row.  I was looking at having a counter at the back of the room with a mini fridge.  Maybe will look into the third row as bar stools!

post #40 of 487 Old 02-27-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob View Post

What program did you utilize for your reflections tool?
Thanks
RG

Bigbadbob, its been a while but I believe found the reflections utility here:
https://www.avsforum.com/t/822273/free-software-to-help-determine-your-first-reflection-points

I don't think the first few links worked for me but a working link may be buried somewhere in the many pages of that thread.

post #41 of 487 Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post

Thanks so much for taking the time to measure the space! Wild how identical mine is to yours, even the 4ft bump out at the back. Mine is on the opposite side however still making your plan a great guide for what's possible! Look forward to your progress!!

Nice! I cant wait to see what you end up with. I wish I had found other builds with similar spaces when I started! I mulled over a few different configurations and finally decided on what I got because it had the least amount of compromises and incorporated all of the different ideas I had in mind.
JMEANS likes this.

post #42 of 487 Old 02-27-2014, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks. Appreciate it.
RG

Klipsch Rocks!
post #43 of 487 Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll trade you!  I am going to be forced to deal with half the room at 7'3'' and the other half (screen side) at 6'9''.  Not happy at all, but as you said: it is what it is.  Does your second row recline at all?  I like the concept of a bar behind the second row.  I was looking at having a counter at the back of the room with a mini fridge.  Maybe will look into the third row as bar stools!

You know, my soffits are triple duty. One they are aesthetic, two they house the projector and light tray, three they hide an I beam that spans over my wet bar bump out. I raised the rear of my room 6 inches so I wouldn't end up with a 1 foot "island" riser in the middle of it. The island is now only 6 inches.. cool. However when combined with the soffits, head room is only about 6'6" underneath them! So you beat me there.
My second row at first will not recline but I plan to buy reclining theater seats eventually. Yeah I will definitely be looking at bar stools for the 3rd row as well. Would be nice to find a fusion between a theater seat and bar stool. Let me know if you come across any seating like that.

post #44 of 487 Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mini fridge is a must! I've also been considering these bar tap things I've seen on this site where you have a keg housed in the cabinet. eek.gif My space for the wet bar is limited though. The length of the wet bar is 6 feet exactly. I'll probably only fit a lazy susan, mini fridge and drawers.
zuluwalker likes this.

post #45 of 487 Old 03-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Just add water and stir

post #46 of 487 Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was able to finish up my remaining 2 window boxes this weekend and fixed the goof on the first one I did. Still need to sand the sides before primer and then shim and nail them.

I also decided to finally tighten up my in wall subs. They had an awful resonance on some bass frequencies. I was able to get rid of it by attaching 3/4 inch insulated tape behind the speaker frame then screwing them down tight. Bass sounds MUCH better now. I also played with the soundstage sweet spot. I angled the left and right speaker boxes up and toward center of the room and stood on the riser. Sounded sweet! cool.gif

Thankful for the blizzard last night. I was able to work from home today... on the stage! I was able to start the arch. My plan is to fill only the rear half of the stage with sand. The front half and arch I will use my left over R-19 pink stuff. I left out 4 intermediate studs just in case I was going to run out of wood. I hope to get a few thin 1/8??? inch plywood panels tomorrow to cover the face of the arch.

zuluwalker likes this.

post #47 of 487 Old 03-06-2014, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I was able to finish up the framing for the stage. I also cut, test fit, and marked up the flooring for the stage.
I drew an outline offset 2 inches to allow for a 2 inch lip on the stage. I'm only doing 1 layer of OSB. I'll likely use up my last remaining 28 oz cartridge of Liquid Nails. I love it when I have just enough left of something I need. The less trips to the big orange depot the better.

post #48 of 487 Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Now about screens... I've drooled over every black screen thats come out over the past few years.. from DNP to Black Diamond to High Performance. My drooling turns to eek.gif when I check the prices. The next best thing for me is a gray screen. There are a few out there but I want one with higher gain so I focused in on the High Contrast High Power fixed frame. That is now discontinued so as an alternative I decided to go with the Draper Contrast Radiant on a Luma 2. The price is too good and I think this screen would do well in my space and with the Panny 8000. The screen will mostly cover the screen wall so I shouldn't have a very wide viewing angle. The projector is mounted overhead but less than 3 feet over my head in the 2nd row. I hope the use of the roller doesn't introduce visible wrinkles. It will mostly stay down unless I need to service the speakers or reach my fuse panel. I think I may someday build my own fancy velvet covered, led laden frame with the Draper CR material but for now I cant beat the cost and convenience of a pull down. My screen wall plans from 2008 are now rendered obsolete... no pun intended rolleyes.gif

post #49 of 487 Old 03-06-2014, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Filled the stage with insulation and sand in the left and right corners. Will try to use my jigsaw to cut out the curves on the stage flooring and should have the stage completed this Saturday if all goes well.

post #50 of 487 Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update on the screen... after measuring my screen wall a few times I've realized that the manual pulldown will take up far too much vertical space for a 119" screen. I want my center channel and subs to clear the bottom of the screen. As a result I am going back to my original plan of using a fixed frame. The only difference is that I will cut out the screen from the roller and build the frame myself. Wish me luck on this one...

post #51 of 487 Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just love my fridge!!!

I dont quite remember seeing any finished pics of your wet bar other than the sketches you did. I did notice how you have your highs placed above your wides. Are you still running the same set up? I ran extra romex to add 4 heights. Two over the half wall behind the 2nd row and two over the screen wall.

I wasnt able to find a suitable location for wides in such a way that I could hide them and still aim them at the seating locations. I like how you hinged yours to the wall. Do the wides make as much of an impact as the heights? Are they essential?

post #52 of 487 Old 03-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:

I dont quite remember seeing any finished pics of your wet bar other than the sketches you did. I did notice how you have your highs placed above your wides. Are you still running the same set up? I ran extra romex to add 4 heights. Two over the half wall behind the 2nd row and two over the screen wall.

I wasnt able to find a suitable location for wides in such a way that I could hide them and still aim them at the seating locations. I like how you hinged yours to the wall. Do the wides make as much of an impact as the heights? Are they essential?

I sorta blew the budget for my bar on a Two Channel rig. smile.gif

I enjoy wides and find them very effective. Not necessary but oh so much fun. Go for it.

I found that when my heights were on the front screen wall, the effect was much less significant than when i brought them closer to me over the wides. Well not quite. They are a foot and a half into the room from the side walls. Same area as wides though.

If you can, try it all! So much fun.
post #53 of 487 Old 03-08-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My first plywood curve cut ever... I can do this! Bring on the next sheet...

Final test fit, making last minute adjustments before the liquid nails and screws...

Viola... 30 minutes later.. stage finito.. celebrated this milestone with a few slices of pizza and an ice cold Berry Weiss. cool.gif

post #54 of 487 Old 03-08-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In process of getting a second estimate on painting the theater, the rest of the basement, and the master bedroom, and master bath all together.
I picked up a few color swatches for the theater yesterday. The bottom color Deep Orchid is speaking to me. The color above it, Palace purple is nice too. The orchid is pretty dark and might not contrast well enough with a black ceiling. The colors are MUCH darker looking in person.

All wood in the theater which includes half wall, bar, columns, recessed shelves, and soffit trim, I plan to stain in this Cabernet.

The AV Rack I will finish in wood also but I will just paint it a glossy black.
I think my next carpentry related task will be the half wall and bar, but I'll first need to pick up an electric brad nailer, a router, and maybe a table saw. Oh and also plywood, birch maybe? Its pretty, but pricey so don't want to make too many mistakes. We shall see..

post #55 of 487 Old 03-08-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I sorta blew the budget for my bar on a Two Channel rig. smile.gif

I enjoy wides and find them very effective. Not necessary but oh so much fun. Go for it.

I found that when my heights were on the front screen wall, the effect was much less significant than when i brought them closer to me over the wides. Well not quite. They are a foot and a half into the room from the side walls. Same area as wides though.

If you can, try it all! So much fun.

Fun is what its all about. I happened to stumble onto a thread where someone used the AIM in wall speakers with the angle as their wides. I think I can definitely pull that off cleanly while hiding them... hmmm....
zuluwalker likes this.

post #56 of 487 Old 03-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:

Fun is what its all about. I happened to stumble onto a thread where someone used the AIM in wall speakers with the angle as their wides. I think I can definitely pull that off cleanly while hiding them... hmmm....

That could be a great solution. And very discrete by design too.

With more clarity, I mean to say that you could place them easily in your room with the speaker taking up space with a large footprint.
post #57 of 487 Old 03-16-2014, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This weekend I started wrapping the half wall and bar in oak veneered plywood. I started working and realized I had no clue what I was doing. I looked for hours on whether I needed to support a countertop 10-12 inches deep. I found a mix of answers. Either way a substitute teacher I had in elementary school always said "when in doubt.. DO MORE!" So I planned to have supports for both bars. It didnt really end up with me modifying my design like I thought it would. AVSer deewan was gracious enough to give me some good info related to his half wall design last year. My design is based off his. Here is what I have done so far.. cant wait to trim and stain them up.

I cut the front outlet of the half wall a little too wide using my cutout tool and there are gaps when the plate is installed. I should have just used my jigsaw as I had planned. mad.gif Lucky for me, I bought an extra plywood panel. I'll just wrap another layer of ply while correcting the outlet cut out.

Here is the wet bar in the back..

post #58 of 487 Old 03-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

You must be posting the pictures with AVS mobile from your phone ??

The pictures are much smaller when you do it that way then when you do it from the PC.

Example:

This is from my desktop (I emailed the picture from my iphone to myself)

You can always go back and adjust the size of any picture you post, by using the edit feature. Mobile app seems to like to add them as 200 x 400, just jump on Edit, and crank em up to 350 x 700 wink.gif
post #59 of 487 Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can always go back and adjust the size of any picture you post, by using the edit feature. Mobile app seems to like to add them as 200 x 400, just jump on Edit, and crank em up to 350 x 700 wink.gif

This is true. I typically dial in the size I want when I enter the post. I downsize images that I think are extraneous or not too interesting. biggrin.gif However, I'll edit and upsize any pics via request. Let me know.

post #60 of 487 Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rain or shine, in sickness or in health, I will at least build the screen wall goal posts this weekend!

I still keep going back and forth on whether to go with 120" 16:9 or 136" 2:35. confused.gif

136" 2:35 with CIH 16:9 marked off

120" 16:9 over the 136" CIH 2:35/16:9

With the 120" 16:9 I'll have to raise my rear row seating approx 2.5" which is not a deal breaker but should be noted.
It also gives me a 16:9 image that is about 6 inches wider and 6 inches taller. Not sure if 2:35 is worth it considering I will be using the screen for sports as well as just regular TV. Movies will only be on the weekends. hmmmm.....

Decisions... decisions...! argh.. I think I'm gonna go 16:9 120" since that appears to be a standard size and just plain fits the wall better. I dunno... I'll probably be saying 2:35 next week! mad.gif
zuluwalker likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page