Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #61 of 487 Old 04-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 94
You've built a dedicated HT and have room for 2.35. Go for the 2.35. You won't regret it
NewtownTheater likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 487 Old 04-06-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

You've built a dedicated HT and have room for 2.35. Go for the 2.35. You won't regret it

Jonny5nz, thanks for the advice. It appears nobody regrets going 2.35 sooo... I'm going 2.35 as well now! cool.gif

I think I'll shoot for 136" diagonal. I'll have to contact draper and see how much I can get a custom size in material only. I plan to build a small frame for this one myself. Those primed finger joined pine referred to by BigMouthInDC are sturdy.

So, I have the goal posts set up. Well not actually goal posts, more like a load bearing entryway. rolleyes.gif
I modified the minimal screen wall design slightly for 2 reasons:

1) I want my screen to be as high up on the wall as possible so that I can maximize the height of the screen while keeping it visible for folks in the 2nd row.
2) I actually have perpendicular soffit studs to anchor to and give more holding power for the screen I end up hanging on the wall. It may be overkill but might as well take advantage.

Here are some pics:

My First Build Ever in progress
post #63 of 487 Old 04-06-2014, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 487 Old 04-07-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccoleach View Post

2.35... I regret it and I haven't even used it yet (the price that is). Lol

hah yes I have price concerns as well. Which screen and size did you get? I'm looking for a Grey High Gain screen for viewing sports with some lights on. My original options were:
1) HCHP (discontinued)
2) Draper Contrast Radiant (discontinued)

Due to the discontinuations I've added a few more options to the list...
3) BD Slate
4) Elite Cinegray 5D (I want 135" 2:35 but it doesnt seem to come in 2:35... maybe they will cut down a 150" 16:9 inch for me?)

Depending on the situation, #3 might be my best option at this point.
Are there any others out there I may be missing?

post #65 of 487 Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Take a look at Falcon Screens. I don't have mine yet but will be ordering one shortly. Got my sample and it's very nice. AT and quality material. Awesome price too.smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
RG

Klipsch Rocks!
post #66 of 487 Old 04-07-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob View Post

Take a look at Falcon Screens. I don't have mine yet but will be ordering one shortly. Got my sample and it's very nice. AT and quality material. Awesome price too.smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
RG

big 2nd. Mine should be here this week.

JJ
post #67 of 487 Old 04-07-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
post #68 of 487 Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob View Post

RG

These look interesting. I'd love to see some pics once you guys get it set up. AT is very tempting. I designed the placement of my speakers initially for an opaque screen. I think for my first screen I'm going to go with something with high gain due to sometime use of 3d and some lights on use. I have also designed the rear wall behind my screen wall using plywood boxes to make it easy for me to switch over to AT in the future.

post #69 of 487 Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccoleach View Post

i went with a 160" Horiz curved screen from http://seymourav.com/

but then there's the anamophic lens i still have to buy, and it's not looking cheap.

160" curved! eek.gif

Anamorphic lens! eek.gif

These are items I probably wont even consider until my third or fourth theater build! biggrin.gif

That set up should kick arse. I am going to use the lens memory feature on the Panny to handle the 2:35. I dont think I'll lose much PQ. I projected on the wall zoomed out and it looked great. Might need to run that test again soon though to make sure I didnt have goo goo ga ga eyes. eek.gif

post #70 of 487 Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Contact the boys from Falcon for a sample!
quamosa likes this.

Klipsch Rocks!
post #71 of 487 Old 04-08-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm adding 2 screens to my screen options:
1) Elite Cinegray 5D
I would need to get a custom size, but I do like that the ezFrame is only 2.36 inches wide and wrapped in velvet.

2) Da-Lite 3D Virtual Grey
I can order the material (big plus) and build my own frame. Hopefully the screen would work well for 2d

BD Slate is too pricey.

3) Falcon AT

4) SeymourAV

post #72 of 487 Old 04-11-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, so I went with the CineGrey 5D 16:9 120" as a starter screen.
I wasn't able to get the 5D in a Cinemascope for another 6 months due to it being a custom size, they only come in 16:9 for now.rolleyes.gif

This should get me as close to BD or DNP ambient viewing as I can for a good, budget friendly price.

I guess I'll be saving CinemaScope and AT for a future upgrade... to be continued. cool.gif

Should get it in a few weeks. mad.gif
Maybe I should request them to deliver it to my doorstep via drone, or maybe not.
Any slight miscalculation or bug in the flight code and it might end up dropping it off through the roof! eek.gif

Buying a bucket of grey primer this evening for the theater walls. Lets see how far I can get tomorrow...
zuluwalker likes this.

post #73 of 487 Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Been too busy to post updates, but so far I have completely primered the entire theater in gray. I have also received my 20 samples of GOM colors for the wall panels. I think I'm going with the red GOM for the panels.
I will likely start painting the theater this Sunday and likely finish by mid week. By then I should have the screen finally delivered... crossing my fingers on that. It should be a nice birthday gift for myself! cool.gif After the painting I will probably start to focus on the in wall shelving in the rear of the theater. I need to build 5 in wall shelving cabinets, two of which will have doors. One of those doored cabinets will be a false cabinet to cover up the waste pipe I have over by the wet bar sink area.

I dont have a table saw but I am going to go at it with my circular saw and self made jig for all the straight cuts. Will post pics of the painting status as soon as they are completed.

post #74 of 487 Old 04-27-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Test driving my seating locations and riser height with some leather couches my sister gave me. The riser height calculator was spot on. I need another 2.5 inches to get a clear view of the bottom of the screen. I tied a pink string across the bottom of the screen and had my wife sit in front as well as myself. I'm about 5 inches taller than her so I would need another 1 inch for a total of 3.5 if I sat in the front. I dont want to bring the 2nd row up 3.5 inches... so basically the rule is no one over 5'7" can sit in the front row! This would all be a mute point if I was able to acquire my screen of choice in a cinemascope. mad.gif

Update on the screen: I cancelled my screen order and re-ordered with another online vendor who had an even better price on the screen. Lets see if this screen gets shipped finally. rolleyes.gif

post #75 of 487 Old 04-27-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I also tested the paint and GOM colors that I want to use for the theater. I like the darker purple at the bottom and either of the 2 lighter red GOMs on the left. Its funny when I was designing all of this... I was met with lots of silence... now that I have put some paint on the walls... WAF has kicked in at full effect. WAF says the darker purple doesnt look manly enough. Says I should look for a more gray or brownish purple. tongue.gif Basically I told her to go pick up the swatches herself... I don't like hanging out in the paint section and I don't want to be a repeat visitor of it either. Lets see what she can come up with because I'm ready to get this show on the road!

post #76 of 487 Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Color coat time. That is exciting! For someone who claims limited construction experience you are making good progress.
Those leather sofas look good. A matched set; one love seat and one triple seater? Doesn't look like they recline but a couple foot stools and you are set.
Interested to see how your 11+ foot wide room turns out, as the room I'm contemplating for Theater 2.0 is exactly the same. Maintaining some semblance of symmetry while finding enough room to navigate past furniture isn't easy.

I feel your pain with wanting a screen that handles a bit of ambient light. Ultimately AT won out in my case so I use tight control of light patterns and inky black everything to limit screen wash out.
My wife likes to craft while we watch movies so the amount of light varies from a gentle glow to blazing spot lights. smile.gif
post #77 of 487 Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Color coat time. That is exciting! For someone who claims limited construction experience you are making good progress.
Those leather sofas look good. A matched set; one love seat and one triple seater? Doesn't look like they recline but a couple foot stools and you are set.
Interested to see how your 11+ foot wide room turns out, as the room I'm contemplating for Theater 2.0 is exactly the same. Maintaining some semblance of symmetry while finding enough room to navigate past furniture isn't easy.

I feel your pain with wanting a screen that handles a bit of ambient light. Ultimately AT won out in my case so I use tight control of light patterns and inky black everything to limit screen wash out.
My wife likes to craft while we watch movies so the amount of light varies from a gentle glow to blazing spot lights. smile.gif

Thanks! Yes I am ready to paint this thing. WAF has slowed me down on that for a second though! I'm hoping to someday acquire some extra funds for real theater seats but for now a few foot stools would work nicely. In the end I went with both symmetry and space to navigate past furniture. I recently found a 3 across theater seating that I could fit while only shortening my aisles by 3-4 inches bringing them down from 30 inches to 26 inches. I think a 26 inch aisle is wide enough to walk through somewhat comfortably. I wish I found this set when I originally designed my space. It shouldnt be hard to cut open the plywood in the front and add plywood to the riser to add 4 inches of width..

You can still use your AT with lights on? What gain do you get on your AT? I received my Cinegrey5D screen today. I hope to set it up and get some pictures.

post #78 of 487 Old 04-29-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry to be a pain but do you mind measuring the width of your two sofas for me; outside of the arm rests please.
I scanned back quickly but couldn't find your theater width again. 11' 4" was it?

To answer your question about the AT screen, I am using white spandex over black. In direct comparison to Seymour Centerstage XD and UF samples I would estimate the gain at 0.8ish. The key to making it work with the lights on is light control and a bright projector (BenQ W1070).

Here is a sad little hand drawn cross section of my room.

post #79 of 487 Old 05-01-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Sorry to be a pain but do you mind measuring the width of your two sofas for me; outside of the arm rests please.
I scanned back quickly but couldn't find your theater width again. 11' 4" was it?

No pain at all... I'm measuring stuff all the time... the rear sofa is 78" wide to the armrests and the loveseat is 68" to the armrests.
Yes the width of the room is 11'4."

I can tell your bulkhead is blocking a good deal of that light just above. I have a similar soffit above the screen as well as in the back which not only holds the projector but also blocks the lights from the rear. I put up my new screen a few nights ago and I just love it. I can easily watch with lights on as long as they are controlled as you said. Here are some pics:

post #80 of 487 Old 05-01-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice. Glad you are happy with the screen.
Thanks for taking the measurements. It looks like you have plenty of room for the aisleways.
I am encouraged, because the room I am considering is exactly the same width as yours, and my 3-seat reclining sofa is very similar.
post #81 of 487 Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Nice! Whats ur screen size?
post #82 of 487 Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

Nice! Whats ur screen size?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post

Ok, so I went with the CineGrey 5D 16:9 120" as a starter screen.
post #83 of 487 Old 05-02-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Why is that scene from 5th Element so curved ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post

post #84 of 487 Old 05-02-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolkerH. View Post

Why is that scene from 5th Element so curved ?

Its maybe an optical illusion. My cellphone camera is not the greatest.

post #85 of 487 Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When I put up the screen's goal posts I decided to move it forward 6 inches so I could have more room for a separate front sub in the future. I ended up with a total of 18 inches behind the screen. I measured everything and was convinced it was the way to go. What I did not know at the time was that I would end up getting a totally different screen than previously planned. So what I have now is a screen that sits within a quarter of an inch of my screen wash lights! eek.gif I angled the lights as far forward that I could so that the light wouldnt bear down on the screen. I ran the lights for an hour or so periodically placing the back of my hand on the frame and the screen and both didn't seem to get hot at all. They both felt cold to the touch even after over an hour so I am not worried about any damage., but what I do have now are some screen wash lights that don't give the look I was going for but I'm okay with them. If anyone thinks I should move the screen back at all, even only a few inches, please let me know.

post #86 of 487 Old 05-04-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And God said, let there be BLACK!

post #87 of 487 Old 05-04-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Picked up 3 more sample colors for the theater room. The WAF picked the bottom 3. I picked the top 2. My favorite is the 2nd from the top. WAF says 2nd from the top isnt manly enough and prefers #3 and #4. I dont like any of them except for #2. HAF overruled! lol I am going with #2. What do you guys think?

post #88 of 487 Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 56
2nd from top lookers a little purple in picture, if that esthetic cause I will have to say no. Lol:)
post #89 of 487 Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I like #3 the best. Is it like a chocolate brown or something? Hard to tell with the lighting etc.
post #90 of 487 Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksqurd View Post

2nd from top lookers a little purple in picture, if that esthetic cause I will have to say no. Lol:)

I might have to take a better pic of these colors with the flash on or something. The colors are all tinted yellow in that picture.
Here is a better picture of #2.. its more of a blue-ish purple. Its called Deep Orchid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page