White Oaks Cinema House and Theater Build - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 822Likes

post #1591 of 1745 Old 12-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sorry if it was already talked about but how many dedicated 20amp outlets did you run? Whats plugged into them and whats plugged into the power conditioners? Did you bridge your projector back to conditioner?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Old Theater Build

New House Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1745 Old 12-14-2015, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wow what a great theater. I would love to have our project come out as good as this! Great Job!
auburnu008 likes this.
post #1593 of 1745 Old 12-16-2015, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 69
How did you guys attach the fabric in the corners of the room? I'm about to start putting up the frames for my sound panels, and just ordered my GoM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 1745 Old 12-16-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 386
This is one BAD ASS THEATER! I can only imagine how it must sound with all those subs! Rumble Rumble!
auburnu008 likes this.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #1595 of 1745 Old 12-16-2015, 04:26 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mry110 View Post
How did you guys attach the fabric in the corners of the room? I'm about to start putting up the frames for my sound panels, and just ordered my GoM.
The secret is to put up one side wall. Then staple fabric to a furring strip and then take it to the wall twist it so the staples will be hidden and screw the furring to the wall.
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #1596 of 1745 Old 12-17-2015, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Go big or go home! I agree.... I could only fit 120" in my room due to my soffits being low Im short by 1" to do a 130" screen but if I had a wider room I would of went with 150". Auburnu have you had a chance to turn it up pretty loud in yet. Wonder how the bass was in there. My screen shakes like crazy when it's +2 on the avr.
To my ears I have turned the subs up but in reality I probably haven't really come close to their limits. Once I get it up to a certain volume it is kinda scary. It is hard to explain but I just feel like if it goes any louder than it might cause problems with the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post
Sorry if it was already talked about but how many dedicated 20amp outlets did you run? Whats plugged into them and whats plugged into the power conditioners? Did you bridge your projector back to conditioner?
I have 9 20 am circuits in the equipment room. 5 are dedicated for the amps and the other 3 are for all of the other stuff. There is another separate circuit that just the projector is on. It runs down to the equipment room and into a battery backup. I have 2 Belkin PureAV's that all of the non-amps are plugged into.
eng-399 likes this.
post #1597 of 1745 Old 12-30-2015, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can you explain whats all going on in your structure wiring enclosures? Equipment list?

Looking like first enclosure may be router, modem, extender, then rg6 for house in the 2nd one then cat6 for house for last 2?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Old Theater Build

New House Build
post #1598 of 1745 Old 12-30-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 21986
Did you go to B'ham for the bowl game or did you enjoy it in your theater (which is certainly 1000x more comfortable than Legion Field).

Glad they ended on a good note. Hope Kevin Steele kicks up the defense a notch. And I was hoping for some resolution on QB for next year, but it's still clear as mud. WDE!
post #1599 of 1745 Old 01-03-2016, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post
Can you explain whats all going on in your structure wiring enclosures? Equipment list?

Looking like first enclosure may be router, modem, extender, then rg6 for house in the 2nd one then cat6 for house for last 2?
That is correct. The last one on the right is also Cat6 but it is just for the basement. The 3rd one from the right is also Cat6 but it is the main level and upstairs.
post #1600 of 1745 Old 01-03-2016, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
Did you go to B'ham for the bowl game or did you enjoy it in your theater (which is certainly 1000x more comfortable than Legion Field).

Glad they ended on a good note. Hope Kevin Steele kicks up the defense a notch. And I was hoping for some resolution on QB for next year, but it's still clear as mud. WDE!
I didn't go to Birmingham. I did actually watch it in the theater. I told myself years ago I would never step foot in Legion Field again haha. I was surprised they played as good as they did. I wasn't expecting that after the horrible season we had.

I agree about the QB situation. Maybe the Junior College transfer will work out. The schedule next year is going to be brutal. Hopefully they will turn things around.
post #1601 of 1745 Old 01-06-2016, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome theater ! Not sure if anyone asked this, how did you guys attach the furring strips for both the acoustic panels and the mdf to the wall. Did you use GG to between the furring strip and the wall? Thanks
post #1602 of 1745 Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

liquid nails and construction staples, On the MDF the fasteners are hidden by the chair rail and base boards
post #1603 of 1745 Old 01-07-2016, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi there! congrats for making your dream come true! nice job!
One question, when there is a lot of bass, the screen does not wave?? which is the distance you have the subs from the screen?

thanks
auburnu008 likes this.
post #1604 of 1745 Old 01-09-2016, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
My inspiration theater!!! Thanks for such magnificent build!!!!
auburnu008 likes this.
post #1605 of 1745 Old 01-09-2016, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Truly amazing theater. You should be very proud of what you've done. Bye for now.
auburnu008 likes this.
post #1606 of 1745 Old 01-09-2016, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rggomez View Post
Hi there! congrats for making your dream come true! nice job!
One question, when there is a lot of bass, the screen does not wave?? which is the distance you have the subs from the screen?

thanks
Thanks! I have only noticed the screen move once. I was surprised just how loud I can push it without any movement. Distance from the subs behind the screen are roughly 18".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumarapol View Post
My inspiration theater!!! Thanks for such magnificent build!!!!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
Truly amazing theater. You should be very proud of what you've done. Bye for now.
Thanks! It was a lot of work but it has been worth it.
post #1607 of 1745 Old 01-16-2016, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Auburn - I gotta hand it to you, you really nailed it with this one. I've seen multiple HT builds, ranging from the simple to the grandiose, and I genuinely feel like you did both. To the eye, it all looks incredibly seamless and therefore simple. But the guts (as well as labor) of the build truly show how grandiose it is - at least according to my perspective.

Being able to nail both of those simultaneously is exactly my speed. The attention to detail, going big, and keeping it all tasteful, while having a huge hand in doing what you can yourself all shows a sophisticated, well polished system.

Now I've read every single post of this thread in my spare time during my winter break. I'm a college student and daydream about having some fun toys to work for after college. I'm a complete homebody who has the biggest level of satisfaction from just getting to watch great movies on a nice screen, and I am an audiophile, or least an elementary audiophile as well. So having my own HT one day is right up my alley.

So what I'm saying, if I'm saying anything at all, is that I sort of consider myself a young version of yourself. You mentioned being in college in a small condo (mine is only slightly larger than yours) with a reference picture printed and mounted so you could stay motivated. Now I haven't printed a picture of your HT, but I've made it my wallpaper on my MacBook lol. I've obsessively talked about it to my fianc?, who's lowkey excited, but doesn't want me to break the future house (she knows I'm a bass fiend).

All that being said, if you had to put yourself in my shoes and go back 15 or so years, what advice would you give your past self? I really want to make the most effective use of my time and money in the future, and that requires thinking now. Would you rent a home until you could build your dream home? Would you buy a small home and sell it once you could build your current home? I could only understand half of the things you and others were talking about, but I really want to know where to look to learn and understand so I can do as much of my future HT as you were able to do in yours one day. I mean if I lived on the east coast, I would have loved to been able to be at your beck-and-call for the whole experience so I could learn from you and the others who were there to assist you. But I live in California, so that's not possible for a poor college student lol.

And if anyone else has taken the time to read through this and has any advice, I would LOVE anything. I'm a sponge lol.

Thanks for your time, and once again, fantastic build! Until there's an exact replica of your HT but with a cinema grade popcorn machine installed in the lobby, this will remain my favorite DIY HT build for the longest time
auburnu008 and jhughy2010 like this.
post #1608 of 1745 Old 01-17-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
@Timbaroo

Very thoughtful post. I too dream to one day have a "White Oaks Cinema Theater" but know that it takes a lot of time, patience and hard work to save up the amount of money it takes to attain such a beautiful possession.

I'm a bit younger than auburn008 (31) but have been able to make quite a bit of use with my space and income. What I would recommend is just keeping the hobby "alive" but keeping it reasonable and in perspective. What I mean by that is understand that this hobby shouldn't be your "life". It is easy to see how much of an energy drain (both time, money and mental/physical energy) that this hobby can cost. My wife wouldn't tolerate me spending every penny on this hobby. In fact, a few times when I have, I was in hot water for it.

Perhaps start with investing a little bit of money in a nice flat screen TV. Heck, you can get a nice 60" 4k television for less than $2,000 these days. Then get yourself a nice receiver that'll last a few years if not longer. Maybe budget $500 for the receiver. Then the speaker purchase... start reasonably affordable but focus on quality and not size. If you can pull of floor standing speakers for the fronts than do it. Otherwise a 5.0 bookshelf set-up might be nice. Then get yourself one nice sub.... I'm partial to PSA but there are many others to choose from. BAM! Now you have a theater for under $5,000 and if you sit close enough to that TV then you'll have an immersive experience just like with a projector.

Once you get just a 5.1 system set-up with a nice television then you can waist many many hours calibrating it and perfecting it. This is where you really learn the hobby... interaction with us here on the forum and figuring out how your equipment works. You might be satisfied for a few months or a year just by tinkering with what you got.

Then comes the real fun in my opinion... when you tweak your space to your liking to find the best possible solutions for what you have to work with. Moving furniture, treating walls, switching out a speaker here or there. Purchasing another sub, etc.

Once you get the A/V stuff pretty much under wraps (have a good grasp and understanding with it) you might consider media streaming. Auburn has a sick set-up! Personally I have built many many computers and am working right now on the sickest media streaming server. You can keep this simple and clean or you can make it crazy cool and "grandiose" like Auburn did. Auburn did a great job and in fact my network infrastructure ideas came specifically from this thread. Unfortunately for myself I am doing my whole house post build... so I'm dealing with crawling around in an attic filled with insulation. Still though, it isn't bad and I'm having a lot of fun doing it. Since I cannot afford to do it all in one sitting I'm having to do a little bit at a time. But that is the fun of it in my opinion. Finding the balance and building what you can.
auburnu008 likes this.
post #1609 of 1745 Old 01-18-2016, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbaroo View Post
Auburn - I gotta hand it to you, you really nailed it with this one. I've seen multiple HT builds, ranging from the simple to the grandiose, and I genuinely feel like you did both. To the eye, it all looks incredibly seamless and therefore simple. But the guts (as well as labor) of the build truly show how grandiose it is - at least according to my perspective.

Being able to nail both of those simultaneously is exactly my speed. The attention to detail, going big, and keeping it all tasteful, while having a huge hand in doing what you can yourself all shows a sophisticated, well polished system.

Now I've read every single post of this thread in my spare time during my winter break. I'm a college student and daydream about having some fun toys to work for after college. I'm a complete homebody who has the biggest level of satisfaction from just getting to watch great movies on a nice screen, and I am an audiophile, or least an elementary audiophile as well. So having my own HT one day is right up my alley.

So what I'm saying, if I'm saying anything at all, is that I sort of consider myself a young version of yourself. You mentioned being in college in a small condo (mine is only slightly larger than yours) with a reference picture printed and mounted so you could stay motivated. Now I haven't printed a picture of your HT, but I've made it my wallpaper on my MacBook lol. I've obsessively talked about it to my fianc?, who's lowkey excited, but doesn't want me to break the future house (she knows I'm a bass fiend).

All that being said, if you had to put yourself in my shoes and go back 15 or so years, what advice would you give your past self? I really want to make the most effective use of my time and money in the future, and that requires thinking now. Would you rent a home until you could build your dream home? Would you buy a small home and sell it once you could build your current home? I could only understand half of the things you and others were talking about, but I really want to know where to look to learn and understand so I can do as much of my future HT as you were able to do in yours one day. I mean if I lived on the east coast, I would have loved to been able to be at your beck-and-call for the whole experience so I could learn from you and the others who were there to assist you. But I live in California, so that's not possible for a poor college student lol.

And if anyone else has taken the time to read through this and has any advice, I would LOVE anything. I'm a sponge lol.

Thanks for your time, and once again, fantastic build! Until there's an exact replica of your HT but with a cinema grade popcorn machine installed in the lobby, this will remain my favorite DIY HT build for the longest time
Thank you so much for taking time to post that. You are off to a great start here on AVS! @jhughy2010 pretty much nailed it. Rome wasn't built in a day. My first theater experience was just a big screen TV. When I was in college I moved to to a projector and some PSB speakers. Then I bought my first house and got theater chairs to go along with it. I have been planning and dreaming of this theater for about 20 years.

One piece of advice I can give you and research, research, research! I have spent more time on this website reading about equipment and theater build over the years than any other site on the web. I still don't know half of most of the guys around here. There are so many knowledgeable posters on everything theater related. Take advantage of that. Looking back on things, the upgrades and tweaking were almost as fun as being "finished" and enjoyed the theater. Enjoy the ride and take it slow.

Now that I am done with the theater I am scrambling to find other things to do with my free time (besides watching movies of course). I just built a new PC for work and updated my business partner's computer. Ok, that upgrade is done now when are the next DTS:X processor's coming out? haha It never ends.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #1610 of 1745 Old 01-18-2016, 06:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post

Absolutely stunning build Auburn! Any chance you took another pic like this once the carpet was installed? I need a new desktop wallpaper for motivation !
auburnu008 likes this.
post #1611 of 1745 Old 01-18-2016, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I apologize if this has been covered but what an amazing build, the attention to care to just the conduits alone is awe inspiring. Truly something amazing you've crafted.

There's something I wanted to ask, did you do anything to address to sound proofing the conduits running from the room to where your rack is?
auburnu008 likes this.
post #1612 of 1745 Old 01-18-2016, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tdr1v3r View Post
Absolutely stunning build Auburn! Any chance you took another pic like this once the carpet was installed? I need a new desktop wallpaper for motivation !
Thanks! Unfortunately I didn't get a picture with the screen off and the carpet in. I wish I had. I took the screen off once before and ended up screwing it up (bent the "L" brackets in the corners). Luckily Rich at Falcon Screens sent some new ones overnight. I thought I was strong enough to get the screen off by myself and maneuver it around the room. The thing was bigger than I anticipated once I got it off the brackets. Anyway, I told myself I would never take it off again after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
I apologize if this has been covered but what an amazing build, the attention to care to just the conduits alone is awe inspiring. Truly something amazing you've crafted.

There's something I wanted to ask, did you do anything to address to sound proofing the conduits running from the room to where your rack is?
Good question. The PVC's to the attic in the equipment room are 4" pipes so it they are pretty large. My attic is spray foam so it stays roughly the same temperature as the rest of the house. Just to be on the safe side I put down putty pads over each pipe in the attic to seal them off. It worked out pretty well. Here is the link to them.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...es/putty-pads/
post #1613 of 1745 Old 01-18-2016, 08:13 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

On one project that had conduits run from the theater to the equipment room for each speaker and the projector I was wondering why I heard so much sound in the equipment room. After I stuffed the ends of the conduit with tightly packed insulation it got quiet. Seal conduits with something easily removed. Putty pads is good.
post #1614 of 1745 Old 01-18-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
@Timbaroo

Very thoughtful post. I too dream to one day have a "White Oaks Cinema Theater" but know that it takes a lot of time, patience and hard work to save up the amount of money it takes to attain such a beautiful possession.

I'm a bit younger than auburn008 (31) but have been able to make quite a bit of use with my space and income. What I would recommend is just keeping the hobby "alive" but keeping it reasonable and in perspective. What I mean by that is understand that this hobby shouldn't be your "life". It is easy to see how much of an energy drain (both time, money and mental/physical energy) that this hobby can cost. My wife wouldn't tolerate me spending every penny on this hobby. In fact, a few times when I have, I was in hot water for it.

Perhaps start with investing a little bit of money in a nice flat screen TV. Heck, you can get a nice 60" 4k television for less than $2,000 these days. Then get yourself a nice receiver that'll last a few years if not longer. Maybe budget $500 for the receiver. Then the speaker purchase... start reasonably affordable but focus on quality and not size. If you can pull of floor standing speakers for the fronts than do it. Otherwise a 5.0 bookshelf set-up might be nice. Then get yourself one nice sub.... I'm partial to PSA but there are many others to choose from. BAM! Now you have a theater for under $5,000 and if you sit close enough to that TV then you'll have an immersive experience just like with a projector.

Once you get just a 5.1 system set-up with a nice television then you can waist many many hours calibrating it and perfecting it. This is where you really learn the hobby... interaction with us here on the forum and figuring out how your equipment works. You might be satisfied for a few months or a year just by tinkering with what you got.

Then comes the real fun in my opinion... when you tweak your space to your liking to find the best possible solutions for what you have to work with. Moving furniture, treating walls, switching out a speaker here or there. Purchasing another sub, etc.

Once you get the A/V stuff pretty much under wraps (have a good grasp and understanding with it) you might consider media streaming. Auburn has a sick set-up! Personally I have built many many computers and am working right now on the sickest media streaming server. You can keep this simple and clean or you can make it crazy cool and "grandiose" like Auburn did. Auburn did a great job and in fact my network infrastructure ideas came specifically from this thread. Unfortunately for myself I am doing my whole house post build... so I'm dealing with crawling around in an attic filled with insulation. Still though, it isn't bad and I'm having a lot of fun doing it. Since I cannot afford to do it all in one sitting I'm having to do a little bit at a time. But that is the fun of it in my opinion. Finding the balance and building what you can.
Thank you so much for your comment and the time you took to write it, every word really helps when you're sort of grasping for straws!

Definitely, the hobby wouldn't become my life, nor is it a situation of me finding just the next big thing. I genuinely love A/V things, exceedingly enough to the point where I'd like to create a genuine cinema experience in my own future home.

This would be, by far, the largest undertaking I could imagine for myself. In the sense of a DYI perspective. I've built my own gaming computer and took months and months of researching and scouring the web for the best components I could, while also trying to understand what pieces wouldn't really be giving me back what I'm spending (diminishing returns). But a HT would be years and years of research, and saving! I don't exactly need to have Auburn's same exact build, but I definitely will aim for it. If I can never afford it (time/space/money), at least I'll have something I can still be proud of, because if I have even half of what he has, I'm pretty sure I'll be more than okay :joy:

Black Friday of 2014 I bought a 65" Vizio M series television. I also bought the biggest 5.1 Vizio soundbar system they offered (they stopped making it after, and the successor is less powerful and smaller, so I got lucky). I am incredibly happy with what I have, especially after calibration. If I had to live with just a great flatscreen and 5.1 system for the rest of my life, I'd be content. But I'm going to work very hard to be beyond content and strive for great things that I and my family and friends can enjoy immensely.

The next step, I think, would be to try my hand at getting a projector and graduating to a full on receiver and official 5.1 system. But I have no idea what sort of projector would give me the best bang for buck, what kind of receiver to get, or if I should find a decent home theater in a box, or buy separate components.

But like you said, part of the fun of it is in doing these things yourself and taking time. In my experience, like with building my computer, you learn all the ins and outs, and if ever there's a problem, you know all the parts to the thing and can diagnose it easier. The pride of knowing you did it yourself is great, but pride is impractical compared to the knowledge of the specifics and placement of your components - at least to me.

Ultimately, my goal (if my fianc? and I can get where we want to with our careers in the future) is to have my own house built with a few bedrooms - one being specifically for a theatre. I absolutely love the size of Auburn's... perhaps I'd make mine a little larger to support a larger screen. And that's why I want to start planning these things now, so I can save all I can and be where I want to be by the time I'm 40 or 45. Thankfully my wonderful fianc? is completely on board and we share a lot of the same aspirations.

I'm sorry for this being so long winded, but this is the biggest goal I have that's on the back burner until I can bring it up and start cooking one day. Again, I really appreciate the suggestions!
auburnu008 and jhughy2010 like this.
post #1615 of 1745 Old 01-18-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbaroo View Post

Thank you so much for taking time to post that. You are off to a great start here on AVS! @jhughy2010 pretty much nailed it. Rome wasn't built in a day. My first theater experience was just a big screen TV. When I was in college I moved to to a projector and some PSB speakers. Then I bought my first house and got theater chairs to go along with it. I have been planning and dreaming of this theater for about 20 years.

One piece of advice I can give you and research, research, research! I have spent more time on this website reading about equipment and theater build over the years than any other site on the web. I still don't know half of most of the guys around here. There are so many knowledgeable posters on everything theater related. Take advantage of that. Looking back on things, the upgrades and tweaking were almost as fun as being "finished" and enjoyed the theater. Enjoy the ride and take it slow.

Now that I am done with the theater I am scrambling to find other things to do with my free time (besides watching movies of course). I just built a new PC for work and updated my business partner's computer. Ok, that upgrade is done now when are the next DTS:X processor's coming out? haha It never ends.
Thank you so very much for replying to me! I know you're a super busy guy, so to read my long post and reply really made my day. I have a lot of respect for what you did and how you kept your dream strong for so many years. I hope to be able to measure up to your level!

That being said, my first personal theatre experience is in my own room. I have a pretty decent sized flatscreen in it and a 5.1 soundbar system in it. I've had it for a year and still am so thankful to have it. Everyone who has been in my room just to see it for five minutes ends up watching an entire movie, so it's nice to see that my modest setup has gotten approval from most everyone.

Research - that's one of the funnest parts for me! Although much like an essay, the introduction is always the hardest in my case. I never know where to start. I have the book (in this case, a wonderful forum) but I have no clue what page to exactly flip to. So do you have any pointers to the types of equipment or brands that are reliable and give the best bang for buck? I realize that for a while, I'll only be able to deal with, hopefully, the best of the low end equipment. But I also the realize the benefits of that - I can appreciate a finer system in the future, but also it helps me to get a lot of hands on learning before tackling larger projects like you have. However it's so hard to find the best of the low end, because sites and people typically talk about the high end equipment (whether it's low or high of the best equipment) or the cheapest stuff. That's why I ask for direction.

I can't imagine you have much free time, with like hundreds of movies to watch in your theatre, not to mention albums you might want to listen to or video games you want to play :joy: As far as building your computer, that must've felt like an incredibly easy task compared to your theatre. I mean even I've built one, and it didn't take a couple decades to learn and experiment with haha. And for sure, it never ends. I have to rebuild my computer soon, these things always get outdated. Eventually, Dolby Atmos will become outdated and we'll have a new system with speakers underneath on the floor :joy:

But again, thank you so much for your reply. I made a big enough grin that my girlfriend had to ask what happened lol!
auburnu008 likes this.
post #1616 of 1745 Old 01-24-2016, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Beautiful theater. I am in the process of putting mine together and coming to this thread is inspirational. I have a question about the volt 10s and the side surround placement in general.

Do you find the Volts to be pretty neutral and easily blending with your fronts speakers?

Lastly, my theater is roughly the same size as yours with 9 ft. ceilings. I am planning two rows of seats and a small bar in back. I was thinking 3 columns per side so side speakers would be in the two rear columsns directly adjacent to seated rows and the front column would be a dummy. I like the aesthetics of two columns but then the speakers are not directly to the sides of the seats. It looks like your front column is in front of front row, and the rear is between the two rows. Can you discuss this set up and how it is working for you? Thanks.

Again, beautiful work all around.
post #1617 of 1745 Old 01-24-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymenudo View Post
I am planning two rows of seats and a small bar in back. I was thinking 3 columns per side so side speakers would be in the two rear columsns directly adjacent to seated rows and the front column would be a dummy.

Again, beautiful work all around.
I'll start with a full agreement, this is a beautiful theater....

My theater, I have the set up you are considering... Two rows and then a bar row. I have three side columns, with the front not having speakers... but I did wire them for potential Wides (also wired for potential balancing subs). My second and third columns are just to the side of the two main rows. I have a pair of speakers in each of those two rows of columns for the side surrounds. I really like the set up, but can't say I have been in other theaters for comparison.

I do have two more rear columns as well for my back surround speakers.

For the way I did my theater, the 3 side columns work great, but that depends a lot on the design choices.
post #1618 of 1745 Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I'll start with a full agreement, this is a beautiful theater....

My theater, I have the set up you are considering... Two rows and then a bar row. I have three side columns, with the front not having speakers... but I did wire them for potential Wides (also wired for potential balancing subs). My second and third columns are just to the side of the two main rows. I have a pair of speakers in each of those two rows of columns for the side surrounds. I really like the set up, but can't say I have been in other theaters for comparison.

I do have two more rear columns as well for my back surround speakers.

For the way I did my theater, the 3 side columns work great, but that depends a lot on the design choices.
Thanks for the input. Do you have a pic of your theater? Would be curious as to column size, depth, placement, etc.
post #1619 of 1745 Old 01-25-2016, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymenudo View Post
Thanks for the input. Do you have a pic of your theater? Would be curious as to column size, depth, placement, etc.
Here is one photo...

The first post of my thread has several images...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html

The columns are about 18" wide, and about 5" deep (containing in-wall speakers), first column is 3 or 3 1/2 feet from front wall, and then other columns are ~ 60" apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side of Room.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1208490  
post #1620 of 1745 Old 01-25-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Here is one photo...

The first post of my thread has several images...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html

The columns are about 18" wide, and about 5" deep (containing in-wall speakers), first column is 3 or 3 1/2 feet from front wall, and then other columns are ~ 60" apart.
Very nice. I like the color scheme.

I was thinking 16" wide, 7" deep (volt coaxial sides) for the columns, around 6 ft apart. I am in the ballpark.

I notice that you did not take your soffit around front or back. I will need mine for some HVAC but also wanted to do some recessed lights. Otherwise, our rooms are likely going to be pretty similar. I think yours is a little wider and mine is a bit longer. Thanks for the inspiration - this project is taking a long time so any light at the end of the tunnel is helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page