White Oaks Cinema House and Theater Build - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 824Likes

post #151 of 1745 Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
This is a REALLY nice rack space! perfectly integrated. Your garage is amazing too. I'd be afraid to cut an apple, let alone wood in that garage, lest I dirty the floor. This is going to be a great theater.
Thanks so much Brolic. It has been a fun journey so far. It is really neat to see all of the years of planning start to take shape.

I had the garage pretty messy this past weekend. I have been working on the frames for the TV's and the floors are covered in saw dust. I have to get down there and clean up this week! haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1745 Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 185
post #153 of 1745 Old 01-12-2015, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 485
How do you like the Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Power Console PF60, after I saw yours, read up on it and was able to find one at a screaming deal and its on its way, Im looking forward to checking it out and trying it out.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 1745 Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
How do you like the Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Power Console PF60, after I saw yours, read up on it and was able to find one at a screaming deal and its on its way, Im looking forward to checking it out and trying it out.
It is a good piece of equipment for the money. I have one set up for the first rack and the other for the second rack.
Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #155 of 1745 Old 01-13-2015, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I finished up staining the frames for the digital movie posters in the lobby. I am using a IRLinc Transmitter that will be mounted behind both TV's that will allow me to turn the TV's on with a programmed Insteon wall switch. I still have to mount the IR and program the switch. I am also going to run an LED ltrip light behind each frame that will also be programmed to the wall switch and light up when you turn the TV's on. Here are some pics of the progress.

Djoel, cmryan821, J_P_A and 5 others like this.

Last edited by auburnu008; 01-13-2015 at 04:48 PM.
post #156 of 1745 Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Time for a update. I just placed an order for 3 JBL 4722N's, 5 inuke 6000DSP's and 3 Crown XLS 1500's. Jeff (BIGmounthinDC) is scheduled to come to town next Tuesday. Things will really start to move then!
post #157 of 1745 Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
Time for a update. I just placed an order for 3 JBL 4722N's, 5 inuke 6000DSP's and 3 Crown XLS 1500's. Jeff (BIGmounthinDC) is scheduled to come to town next Tuesday. Things will really start to move then!
Nice--what's the channel distribution of those amps? Crowns for the LCR and iNukes for the rest + sub? i've been looking at Crown amps myself--can't decide though.
post #158 of 1745 Old 02-10-2015, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice--what's the channel distribution of those amps? Crowns for the LCR and iNukes for the rest + sub? i've been looking at Crown amps myself--can't decide though.
Exactly. The Crown's will power the front stage and 4 of the inukes will power the 16 18" subwoofers. The other inuke is for the Crowson's. I already have 2 Emotiva XPA-5's to power the 10 surrounds / Atmos speakers.
post #159 of 1745 Old 02-10-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Did you already order your SI subs? Do you know which ones to get? If you don't know, get the D4's. Wire each driver's voice coils in series so that they are 8ohms. Then two subs per channel in parallel would yield a 4ohm load. This will get you about 900watts per driver, and with 16, you will be rockin!

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #160 of 1745 Old 02-10-2015, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Did you already order your SI subs? Do you know which ones to get? If you don't know, get the D4's. Wire each driver's voice coils in series so that they are 8ohms. Then two subs per channel in parallel would yield a 4ohm load. This will get you about 900watts per driver, and with 16, you will be rockin!
I have not ordered the subs yet. I am going to go with the HT-18's. I would like to use the HTS's or the UXL's but the bang for the buck on the HT's are just too good to pass up.

I plan to build 8 cabinets with 2 subs in each. They will be around 10 cubic feet per box. I am going to do 8 behind the front stage and another 8 behind the back row. I will wire each box to accept a 4 ohm load and run the amp in 4 ohm stereo. Each box will be run off of a channel of the amp with each amp powering 4 18's. I can't wait to get this thing going!
post #161 of 1745 Old 02-10-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exactly. The inuke 6000 is perfect for four HT18's. You will love 16 subs! Seems like it is very ordinary now days to run massive amounts of subs.

Just a thought....You may not need as many subs in the back since they are nearfield and could possibly move more up front. Just depends on how much you want to shake people's organs. The eight subs in the back will over power the subs up front unless you level match them.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #162 of 1745 Old 02-10-2015, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exactly. The inuke 6000 is perfect for four HT18's. You will love 16 subs! Seems like it is very ordinary now days to run massive amounts of subs.

Just a thought....You may not need as many subs in the back since they are nearfield and could possibly move more up front. Just depends on how much you want to shake people's organs. The eight subs in the back will over power the subs up front unless you level match them.
Ideally I didn't want to stack them under my mains and was planning on running 4 dual boxes between the mains for 8 up front. Since I am also not on a slab (I have a basement below the theater) I thought the 8 front 8 back configuration would be best for the weight distribution. What would be the advantage of nearfield vs. level matching 8/8?

Last edited by auburnu008; 02-10-2015 at 06:10 PM.
post #163 of 1745 Old 02-10-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably one of those options because they will be closer but it really depends on your room and your preference. If you like crazy amounts of impact and bass, go with 8 in the back. However you decide, tuning will be key to make a seamless bass response.
bigcoupe2003 likes this.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #164 of 1745 Old 02-10-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

By the way, nearfield subs are freakin awesome, but they are not for everybody. I personally love them and it took a couple of movies for my wife to enjoy them. At first it was too much for her.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #165 of 1745 Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
By the way, nearfield subs are freakin awesome, but they are not for everybody. I personally love them and it took a couple of movies for my wife to enjoy them. At first it was too much for her.
Have you had any experience with Crowson's? From all of the things I have read most people that have them love them. I plan to use 4 of them for the front row and nothing on the back row. If I do 8 subs behind the back row they probably won't need Crowsons.
post #166 of 1745 Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't have any experience with them.

Don't let me change your mind about nearfield subs. I would do it the way you are doing it. Just letting you know that with the same power, they will be significantly louder. Like I said before, tuning is key and you will be able to integrate to your preference.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #167 of 1745 Old 02-11-2015, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2252
Quote:
Have you had any experience with Crowson's? From all of the things I have read most people that have them love them. I plan to use 4 of them for the front row and nothing on the back row. If I do 8 subs behind the back row they probably won't need Crowsons.
I use Crowsons and absolutely love them. I've also had nearfield Subs in my previous theater; however, the impact was never bone-jarring because I tuned them very, very carefully to the point where their sole purpose was for evening out the bass response in the room (better response across all seats), as opposed to giving a near-tactile experience. I couldn't even tell that a nearfield sub was near. I might be in the minority, but I'd suggest taking this route, as it led to quite the well-balanced (and well-measured) expereince. Not knocking others' implementation, but it worked for me.

You know, you can take the four Crowsons and use one crowson to shake two chairs by placing it at the point where the corners of two chairs join. So you'd only need two for each row. This doens't particularly work for me(it all depends on seating) but it works well for AVS user Craig John, who introduced me to Crowsons, which caused me to immediately purchase mine.

Also, try to avoid connecting the Crowsons directly to your pre-amp. Take advantage of the Behringer DSP and use a splitter from your blu ray's output, and plug BOTH plugs into the Behringer. This is the only way it gets enough voltage from a consumer media device to give the impact that it should. I learned this the hard way, after MUCH experimenting. IT's much better, as the Crowsons is not subject to either the master volume, or any room correction utilized by your Pre/Pro.

I look forward to seeing your build come together!
post #168 of 1745 Old 02-11-2015, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 1857
I'd have to disagree and would recommend coming out of the preamp and not just the bluray. There are a number of devices, including MiniDSP and non-DSP devices like THIS which can convert voltages, translate between balanced and unbalanced and adjust gains very easily.

Last edited by TMcG; 02-11-2015 at 06:58 AM.
post #169 of 1745 Old 02-11-2015, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
looking good Auburn. Really good. Those frames turned out great.
post #170 of 1745 Old 02-11-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use Crowsons and absolutely love them. I've also had nearfield Subs in my previous theater; however, the impact was never bone-jarring because I tuned them very, very carefully to the point where their sole purpose was for evening out the bass response in the room (better response across all seats), as opposed to giving a near-tactile experience. I couldn't even tell that a nearfield sub was near. I might be in the minority, but I'd suggest taking this route, as it led to quite the well-balanced (and well-measured) expereince. Not knocking others' implementation, but it worked for me.
What Brolic Beast is saying right here is exactly why I was saying that you might consider less subs nearfield. Turning them way down would not be the best way to use 8 subs. Take a few away and either put them up front or somewhere else in the room. That being said, I would also experiment with all scenarios and see what you like best.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #171 of 1745 Old 02-11-2015, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
looking good Auburn. Really good. Those frames turned out great.
Thank you very much. I am pretty happy with how they turned out.
post #172 of 1745 Old 02-11-2015, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You know, you can take the four Crowsons and use one crowson to shake two chairs by placing it at the point where the corners of two chairs join. So you'd only need two for each row. This doens't particularly work for me(it all depends on seating) but it works well for AVS user Craig John, who introduced me to Crowsons, which caused me to immediately purchase mine.

Also, try to avoid connecting the Crowsons directly to your pre-amp. Take advantage of the Behringer DSP and use a splitter from your blu ray's output, and plug BOTH plugs into the Behringer. This is the only way it gets enough voltage from a consumer media device to give the impact that it should. I learned this the hard way, after MUCH experimenting. IT's much better, as the Crowsons is not subject to either the master volume, or any room correction utilized by your Pre/Pro.

I look forward to seeing your build come together!
Thanks for the reply Brolic. Having 8 in the front and 8 in the back to balance out response along with the even weight distribution on my floor was the main reasons for running them that way. I think I am leaning that route. 99% of the time it will just be me in the theater so I don't think I am going to run Crowson's back there for the back row.
post #173 of 1745 Old 02-12-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
I think you will really like the Crown XLS 1500's on your L/C/R speakers. I just added on for my mains (will eventually run three like you are planning) and after getting the gain set I can't hear any hiss from my compression driver from more than a few inches (I run 97 dB efficient speakers so should work excellent with your JBL's).

Looking at your avatar about kills me, my KSU Wildcats (graduate school, class of '97) gave you guys a heck of a game in Manhappiness, just came up short in the end. I will always be pulling for Auburn to roll the tide!!!!!

Oh yeah, really nice theater build. Can't wait to see it finished. Freakin awesome garage.

post #174 of 1745 Old 02-12-2015, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I think you will really like the Crown XLS 1500's on your L/C/R speakers. I just added on for my mains (will eventually run three like you are planning) and after getting the gain set I can't hear any hiss from my compression driver from more than a few inches (I run 97 dB efficient speakers so should work excellent with your JBL's).

Looking at your avatar about kills me, my KSU Wildcats (graduate school, class of '97) gave you guys a heck of a game in Manhappiness, just came up short in the end. I will always be pulling for Auburn to roll the tide!!!!!

Oh yeah, really nice theater build. Can't wait to see it finished. Freakin awesome garage.
I have read a lot of positive things on the XLS 1500's. I originally was thinking of using the Crown DSI's but they were 3 times the price and reviews of people that have used both couldn't tell any difference. The built-in presents for the JBL's on the DSI's would have been nice but I went with the JBL's with built-in crossovers so I don't need them.

K-State was a great game. I respect the hell out of Bill Snyder. All of the fans were very nice and respectful. Auburn fell apart after that game though. There is always next year!

Thanks for the the compliment on the theater and garage. It is going to finally start to see some heavy use real soon!
post #175 of 1745 Old 02-12-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They don't seem to make them like Bill Snyder anymore. He is a master at maximizing an athlete's ability if they are willing to work their butts off on all aspects of life.

I met BIG over at my friend Popalocks last year. BIG seems like a great guy who is a tremendous asset, thankfully he retired from being an engineer and turned to the DIY home theater crowd. I am betting yiur space will be pretty awesome.

post #176 of 1745 Old 02-13-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
I finished up staining the frames for the digital movie posters in the lobby. I am using a IRLinc Transmitter that will be mounted behind both TV's that will allow me to turn the TV's on with a programmed Insteon wall switch. I still have to mount the IR and program the switch. I am also going to run an LED ltrip light behind each frame that will also be programmed to the wall switch and light up when you turn the TV's on. Here are some pics of the progress.

Those frames are amazing looking, art gallery grade...The color is nice and robust as well, awesome job. I'm looking for that style of shadow box for my acoustic panels, that I've been trying to make for the last few years now

DJoel
post #177 of 1745 Old 02-13-2015, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks DJoel. I still need to run the switch for the led lighting behind the frames but I am happy with how the frames turned out. It looks much better than just the TV's hanging on the wall.
Djoel likes this.
post #178 of 1745 Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #179 of 1745 Old 02-17-2015, 05:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5739 Post(s)
Liked: 5300
Yes, arrived last night, got the tour and unloaded the truck. Today we gotta get some work on this theater done!
post #180 of 1745 Old 02-17-2015, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Man BIG you look bad in the picture posted by @auburnu008 , must have been on heck of drive down from DC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page