"Stairway to Heaven" Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-20-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Wife can't think of a name for the theater yet so that is TBD.(wife liked big's verbage, name chosen) But hey, she's at least onboard with a dedicated theater build finally!

Basics:

Room is 288" (24')(L) x 182" (15'2")(W) x 96" (8')(H)

This is a walk-out basement in a 5 level home in the Kansas City area. There is 3 levels above this area (kitchen/pantry, BR #3 are directly above this area), and 1 solid concrete basement below and away from this area. This level shares walls with a mud room (lawn equip and a/v rack), a bathroom, a bar/office and BR #4.

Currently the area is fully finished and somewhat equipped electronically.

ADW 44u enclosed rack with 1 20amp dedicated feed

Epson 5010e (PJ has a dedicated romex run to the a/v rack to the Panamax, hdmi and 2 cat6)
120" 16x9 Elite Screens

Yamaha RXA-1030 (being used as a PRE only
Outlaw 7500 (5channel amp)
Panamax 1500 (ups/conditioner)
Sony 3d BR
HTPC (1:1 bluray MKVs)
24bay Bluray Server
Cable Box
Phillips HUE bridge
Harmony Ultimate (with remote)

Klipsch 5800c in ceiling speakers (x5)
MK 12" sub directly under screen

I also have 2 RF7's and and RC-35 to toss into the finished theater.

I would like to build a full front stage, a rear riser with a 2nd row of seating and most likely soffits around the whole room.

Clearly the windows and sliding door have to go. Front window will be replaced with a standard sized door and the slider and back window will be 100% removed and studded.
My BIGGEST issues are currently the half-belled staircase leading into the room and the back hallway to the bathroom, bar/office, and BR #4. I'm at a total loss in how to deal with those set-backs.

These pictures speak for themselves. I will be ripping out the current drywall and decoupling a false wall and double drywalling + gg. But, before I can even start this project, I need some off y'alls ingenious ideas to overcome the stairs, hallway and mud room/basement door issues.
I'm all ears for suggestions and design cues.

Regards,
Jon

PS: Is this odd room worth consulting Erksign or another contractor to deal with these issues I have? I sent Big a PM but didn't get a response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-20-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My first idea for the stairs is as follows.

The yellow box indicates an area that would go from ceiling to stair step.

two 2x4 "framed boxes (still double leaf)" of that size, hinged to the wall, and reverse hinged to each other can cover from left wall to right wall of the stair case. when closed they'd take up roughly 11" of depth off the wall but that bell shape makes that side of the stairs rather useless as it is.

Built out of 2x4 and sheetrocked front and rear and then filled with insulation could still provide sound and light insulation.

The back wall could have a sliding door (pocket door but double leafed) falsed into it to block the little hallway ceiling to floor?

And the other two doors leading to the sub basement and mud room, those 2 doors can be removed and the doorways widened. frame that whole triangular space in with one door leading to both doorless doorways now. that soffit extrusion above the doorways is a 8" steel I-beam from that jutted corner, past both doors and continues to the outside wall.

post #3 of 12 Old 10-20-2013, 07:47 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked: 5858
Sorry I didn't get back to you, I'm not contemplating any additional road trips that far out of town until 2015. The basic design service of the Erskine group may be a good idea, I think a total rebuilding of the bottom leg of the stairway ending with a conventional door needs to be considered if you really want to isolate the theater from the rest of the house. I suspect a massive bi-fold door would be pretty cumbersome and ineffective at blocking anything other than the light. You could accomplish the same with some black out curtains on a track.

As for the name of the theater I think it should be "Stairway to Heaven"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-20-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, How `bout this:

Box in the last four steps on the bell side of the stairs and to the wall, then frame back across the last step to the straight(right side) wall, as this correlates with the opening up into the space above and would make it symmetrical. This would also alleviate the need to widen the staircase above this room to kill dead space.

Frame the hallway opening in and put in a 30 or 36" door.

post #5 of 12 Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

new layout chosen. union carpenter has been chosen and employed. soundproofing company has also been employed and a proven to be worth the investment already. actual demo and room build will start in roughly 2 months. until then, i've been collecting more equipment, including an rc 64-II and a couple rs 62-IIs. I will be 9.2 with some danley dts-10s when it's all said and done.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #7 of 12 Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got my 2 danley dts 10s and amp last night.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked: 5858
I see some rattling dishes and books falling off of shelves tonight! Be careful of your windows, and I'm not kidding. I was at a house for a dual sonotube bass demo and as it progressed in an open family room I looked out the window and good see some bedroom windows up on the second floor. They were flexing in a fairly violent manner. When the owner of his new house looked he permanently re-calibrated his thinking on acceptable volume levels
post #9 of 12 Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I see what you mean now... Ran another dedicated circuit to the rack just for this 4,000watt amp, started tuning the para eq and only got my gains to 50% before I called it quits. Holy sheet
post #10 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

didn't need another rack, but for $100 for an identical rack to my current adw, sure, why not!
post #11 of 12 Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Sorry I did not see this thread until now. Have been hammering away on my own.

Big you just nailed the name. That's a keeper.

It looks like you are making all the right moves. Dedicated space. Erskine group. Sound proofing company. Too bad big is booked up till 2015.

I replied in another thread as well but you are welcome to check out my space before it is 100 percent. But since it is 99 percent now I don't know how helpful it will be. I can still give you the rundown on how everything was done and give you all the advice I have to give.

Those dts 10's look mean! The rack was a steal and it even matches.

Pm'd
post #12 of 12 Old 08-09-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 647 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4045 Post(s)
Liked: 3846
New PICS?

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | (8) Ultimax UM18-22 sealed subwoofers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted directly to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Denon x7200wa AVR | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144", 2.35:1 AT screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page