Forum Jump: 
 219Likes

post #1081 of 1524 Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I'll post more tomorrow but I had a great time at the GTG. Was great to meet new ppl and hang out with many of you I already know from past gtgs. Hope some of you can make it up to the MN gtg next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1524 Old 06-30-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 684 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
More than happy to help with any questions Tim and I had the same opinion of JRiver until I had some runtime with it. Now I love it and haven't had any issues with it since I got it rolling. We did have some issues at the GTG but those were related to the zones getting crossed with the 215's upstairs. I've never encounters that with my separate zone for the Salks so who knows. When DD hooks up his computer on my network there are about 20 zones available.
I use JRiver to play music, I have my PC connected to my avr and use it that way. I'm about 70/30 jriver and spotify.

I love the visuals with JRiver while the music is playing.

So, I'm using about .5% of it's capability I'm sure.
post #1083 of 1524 Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Life on the Plains ...

Besides your second hearing of the 215's this would be the second HT meet that you orchestrated the AV (in a fashion) with JRiver. Your contributions to my little GTG were significant and I'm sure David feels the same.

Thanks Michael

+1

Michael is also one of the most helpful guys you will find through PM. I'm sure I've worn him out and then some with my remedial questions but he still puts up with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 1524 Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
What David said is pretty much correct. The front three MBM's have active crossovers and are only getting the signal copied from their respective main speaker. For movies, they cross over to the S2's at 25 Hz. For music they are run full range. They do not get the LFE channel.

There were a lot of questions about the routing for the side and rear surrounds at the Open House so I'll explain it here. The Savoy has a second set of side surrounds. How the content is routed to these surrounds is done many different ways. If both side surrounds are playing the full side surround signal, then you are no longer energy neutral and the side channels are louder than the rear surrounds or fronts for either row of seats. In order to get a more consistent surround field I tried to make it more energy neutral. The front side surrounds get .9 of the side surround signal and the rear side surrounds get .25 of the rear surround signal and .6 of the side surround signal. The rear side surrounds are also delayed a little more than the front side surrounds. The combination of varied content and delay result in decorrelated signals for the front vs rear side surround speakers.

Several trials with different combinations of mixing were used to arrive at the final numbers. You just play the side surround test tone and measure its SPL and then play the rear surround test tone and measure its SPL. The numbers were varied until there was a good balance between side and rear surround at both rows of seats. The final signal for the side surrounds is 1.5 and for the rear surrounds is 1.25. This might seem off at first, but it has to do with how the seats get more direct sound from the rear speakers vs off axis sound from the side surrounds. The final test of whether it was working was to play the Bouncing Balls from the beginning of The Art of Flight. If the sound panned smoothly around the room - especially the "All Around You part," then I thought we had nailed the balance.

We also tried to be energy neutral with the bass from the surrounds. The rear subwoofer only received the combined original side surround and rear surround info. It did not get the bass from the rear pair of side surrounds. This would have added extra bass energy. The rear side surrounds did have an 80 Hz high pass filter and rolled off the same as the front. The rear surrounds were crossed over higher at 150Hz. Due to the cutout for the rear subwoofer, these didn't get the same bass boost caused by the proximity to the wall/ceiling. The exact same thing happens in my room with my side surrounds. My room bumps out four feet on both sides with a 90 degree wall turn and my side surrounds are at that bump out. Since the rear surrounds are located right next to the subwoofer, this isn't an issue and gave a better measurement. Also some of the rear content was routed to the rear side surrounds which were crossed over at 80 Hz. Also, due to the way the crossover is used for the rear surrounds, the rear surrounds keep their natural output/rolloff with the rear sub just providing the extra SPL to make the frequency response flat. It isn't like an analog crossover where the sound is already 6 dB down at the crossover frequency.
dgage and RMK! like this.

Last edited by desertdome; 07-01-2014 at 01:18 PM.
post #1085 of 1524 Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
There were a lot of questions about the routing for the side and rear surrounds at the Open House so I'll explain it here. The Savoy has a second set of side surrounds. How the content is routed to these surrounds is done many different ways. If both side surrounds are playing the full side surround signal, then you are no longer energy neutral and the side channels are louder than the rear surrounds or fronts for either row of seats. In order to get a more consistent surround field I tried to make it more energy neutral. The front side surrounds get .9 of the side surround signal and the rear side surrounds get .25 of the rear surround signal and .6 of the side surround signal. The rear side surrounds are also delayed a little more than the front side surrounds. The combination of varied content and delay result in decorrelated signals for the front vs rear side surround speakers.

Several trials with different combinations of mixing were used to arrive at the final numbers. You just play the side surround test tone and measure its SPL and then play the rear surround test tone and measure its SPL. The numbers were varied until there was a good balance between side and rear surround at both rows of seats. The final signal for the side surrounds is 1.5 and for the rear surrounds is 1.25. This might seem off at first, but it has to do with how the side surrounds get more direct sound from the rear speakers vs off axis sound from the side surrounds. The final test of whether it was working was to play the Bouncing Balls from the beginning of The Art of Flight. If the sound panned smoothly around the room - especially the "All Around You part," then I though we had nailed the balance.

We also tried to be energy neutral with the bass from the surrounds. It only received the combined side surround and rear surround info. It did not get the bass from the rear pair of side surrounds. This would have added extra bass energy. The rear side surrounds did have an 80 Hz high pass filter and rolled off the same as the front. The rear surrounds were crossed over higher at 150Hz. Due to the cutout for the rear subwoofer, these didn't get the same bass boost caused by the proximity to the wall/ceiling. The exact same thing happens in my room with my side surrounds. My room bumps out four feet on both sides with a 90 degree wall turn and my side surrounds are at that bump out. Since the rear surrounds are located right next to the subwoofer, this isn't an issue and gave a better measurement. Also some of the rear content was routed to the rear side surrounds which were crossed over at 80 Hz. Also, due to the way the crossover is used for the rear surrounds, the rear surrounds keep their natural output/rolloff with the rear sub just providing the extra SPL to make the frequency response flat. It isn't like an analog crossover where the sound is already 6 dB down at the crossover frequency.

Wow. Well, no wonder the surround effect in that room is un-freaking-believable. That ALL AROUND YOU demo sound like I'm in our local Atmos theater, maybe even better. Great job man.
post #1086 of 1524 Old 06-30-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Life on the Plains ...

Besides your second hearing of the 215's this would be the second HT meet that you orchestrated the AV (in a fashion) with JRiver. Your contributions to my little GTG were significant and I'm sure David feels the same.

Thanks Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
+1

Michael is also one of the most helpful guys you will find through PM. I'm sure I've worn him out and then some with my remedial questions but he still puts up with me.
No problem. Let me know if you need any more help.

Funny story. One of our employees was having trouble with a certain online construction plan viewing software. I told him I called customer service and they should get back with him. I then called him and pretended to be customer service from the software company. I had him do all kinds of stupid unrelated stuff like measure his monitor. He actually pulled out a tape measure and tried to give me the diagonal measurement. I'd say stuff like, "No, the other diagonal." He kept right on plugging through my "troubleshooting" instructions. Some of the other employees were watching from another office and laughing. I finally had to hang up the phone because I couldn't contain my laughter any more. He never did know it was a fake call. You never know when I might be messing with you.
post #1087 of 1524 Old 06-30-2014, 09:06 PM

Haha the other diagonal - that's awesome.

That's up there with car guy telling non car guy he needs some blinker fluid or a johnson rod.
post #1088 of 1524 Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked: 1712
Quote:
What David said is pretty much correct. The front three MBM's have active crossovers and are only getting the signal copied from their respective main speaker. For movies, they cross over to the S2's at 25 Hz. For music they are run full range. They do not get the LFE channel.

Several trials with different combinations of mixing were used to arrive at the final numbers. You just play the side surround test tone and measure its SPL and then play the rear surround test tone and measure its SPL. The numbers were varied until there was a good balance between side and rear surround at both rows of seats. The final signal for the side surrounds is 1.5 and for the rear surrounds is 1.25. This might seem off at first, but it has to do with how the seats get more direct sound from the rear speakers vs off axis sound from the side surrounds. The final test of whether it was working was to play the Bouncing Balls from the beginning of The Art of Flight. If the sound panned smoothly around the room - especially the "All Around You part," then I though we had nailed the balance.

We also tried to be energy neutral with the bass from the surrounds. The rear subwoofer only received the combined original side surround and rear surround info. It did not get the bass from the rear pair of side surrounds. This would have added extra bass energy. The rear side surrounds did have an 80 Hz high pass filter and rolled off the same as the front. The rear surrounds were crossed over higher at 150Hz. Due to the cutout for the rear subwoofer, these didn't get the same bass boost caused by the proximity to the wall/ceiling. The exact same thing happens in my room with my side surrounds. My room bumps out four feet on both sides with a 90 degree wall turn and my side surrounds are at that bump out. Since the rear surrounds are located right next to the subwoofer, this isn't an issue and gave a better measurement. Also some of the rear content was routed to the rear side surrounds which were crossed over at 80 Hz. Also, due to the way the crossover is used for the rear surrounds, the rear surrounds keep their natural output/rolloff with the rear sub just providing the extra SPL to make the frequency response flat. It isn't like an analog crossover where the sound is already 6 dB down at the crossover frequency.
Wow DD! You've got me thinking of ditching my MiniDSP NanoAVR and going with JRiver. What sound card(s) are you using to output the large number of channels? Does this mean you are bypassing a receiver/preamp? I think you've posted your JRiver configuration before but I can't find it at the moment.

And I really like your thoughts on spreading the different rear/surround channels. I was watching Gravity a few weeks ago and felt something was missing...damned if that movie was 5.1 only so my surrounds weren't coming into play. I had to go into the NanoAVR and send the rear signals to the sides as well.
post #1089 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Wow DD! You've got me thinking of ditching my MiniDSP NanoAVR and going with JRiver. What sound card(s) are you using to output the large number of channels? Does this mean you are bypassing a receiver/preamp? I think you've posted your JRiver configuration before but I can't find it at the moment.
There is no receiver/preamp in the system. David is using a Solid State Logic Alpha Link MX 4-16 which gets the signal over fiber optic from a MADI card in the HTPC. I have a 16 channel Lynx Aurora 16 that I use for playback in my system. I'll be getting the new Thunderbolt version in a couple of weeks. With Thunderbolt, you can daisy chain up to 6 devices. If you connect 6 Lynx Aurora 16's to one computer, then you have 96 output channels!

Quote:
I was watching Gravity a few weeks ago and felt something was missing...damned if that movie was 5.1 only so my surrounds weren't coming into play. I had to go into the NanoAVR and send the rear signals to the sides as well.
You will get better results upmixing to 7.1 using Dolby Prologic IIx or JRiver's JRSS than just copying channels. In The Savoy, all 5.1 channel source material is upmixed to 7.1 first using JRSS.
post #1090 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
No problem. Let me know if you need any more help.

Funny story. One of our employees was having trouble with a certain online construction plan viewing software. I told him I called customer service and they should get back with him. I then called him and pretended to be customer service from the software company. I had him do all kinds of stupid unrelated stuff like measure his monitor. He actually pulled out a tape measure and tried to give me the diagonal measurement. I'd say stuff like, "No, the other diagonal." He kept right on plugging through my "troubleshooting" instructions. Some of the other employees were watching from another office and laughing. I finally had to hang up the phone because I couldn't contain my laughter any more. He never did know it was a fake call. You never know when I might be messing with you.
That's for sure ... lurking inside of that unassuming ultra-nerd exterior , is a rapier like wit and keen sense of humor. Nebraska's Rick Gervais ...

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
post #1091 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2254
This sounds like the G2G to end all G2G's. I am very interested in the use of JRiver in this theater, as I am currently an avid JRiver fan and user. I'm giving serious consideration to using my HTPC PC powered by JRiver as a full-blown processor, much like it's used here. My only issue is, I need to use other sources in the theater (i.e. streaming devices, game consoles, etc. Does anyone know of a device that will allow for HDMI inputs into a PC (audio-only is just fine)? More importantly, if such a device exists, will JRiver recognize the device? I'd gladly setup Jriver zones for each source, but I don't know if there's something to get the sources to run through the PC. Any thoughts? (BTW--asking here instead of the HTPC forum since dlbeck is utilizing the exact same JRiver-focused config that I'd be using, with two rows of side-surround channels. Would an HDMI-to-HD-SDI adapter--> HD-SDI-to-XLR adapter series work?

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 07-01-2014 at 08:45 AM.
post #1092 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In the movie "Now You See Me," FBI agent Dylan Rhodes is handed a flyer for the second performance of the The Four Horseman.

David used this design for the tickets he handed out. Here is a picture of the tickets showing the Act, Group, and seat assignment. Pretty cool!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Savoy Theater Ticket.png
Views:	1120
Size:	842.5 KB
ID:	143626   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Savoy Ticket2.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	143634  
post #1093 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally got some downtime at work so I can post some thoughts.

Now, I don't know if any of you go through home theater crises like me where nothing seems to be working right and you wonder why you care so much or spend the obscene amounts of money on this hobby that we do. But every so often a moment comes along that makes you realize exactly what got you into this crazy pursuit and makes you wonder how you could have ever questioned it. Spending time in The Savoy brought out that cinematic elation more acutely than anything I've encountered yet. Watching the aforementioned Cream drum solo was an experience that I will do anything to replicate in my own home.

I am close to starting a complete overhaul of my theater and, while I've looked forward to the final result, I was dreading the work it will take to get me there. Now after being reminded what hard work and planning can get you, I can hardly keep myself from calling in sick to work and getting started right away. (DD: considering how big a part you seemed to play in David's theater and how well it turned out, I might try to enlist you to help with mine by offering food and alcohol or whatever other vice that will convince you).

Impressions:
The 215's were intimidating in the best of ways. I would love to hear them in a treated room like the 212's because I was astounded by how much I liked the 212's for music and I believe Jeff said that the 215's are the better choice if music is a priority.

Nyal's presentation was fascinating and the information about not fully absorbing first reflections is something I'm going to be experimenting with. It certainly worked for David so I wonder if the same is true in my much smaller space.

Throughout the first demo I thought that my seat had a buttkicker or something similar because my chair was rumbling so much. It was so awesome. There were a lot of discussions about bass and sub placement in the theater, but for my tastes I doubt the bass could be much improved upon. Admittedly, my subwoofer setup is practically a tweeter compared to what the Kansas City folk seem to have.

I loved the combination of the calibrated Sony projector and the Darbee Darblet--before I was convinced that the next projector I buy will be a JVC but now I'm not so sure. I was interested in how Sony's reality creation compared to the darblet, but unfortunately there wouldn't have been time to play around with that. Either way, I'm going to see if I can pick up a used darblet in the near future.

The GTG itself could not have been better organized. David has a knack for cracking the whip to get people moving and organized while still making things really fun and relaxed. The food was great and it was very kind of his wife and kids to help out. The movie tickets were charming and helpful, ensuring that there was an even mix of people getting seats and standing (and thus preventing jerks like me from hogging the good seats all day). You can consider me preemptively RSVP'd for any future GTG's.
carp and RMK! like this.
post #1094 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Haha the other diagonal - that's awesome.

That's up there with car guy telling non car guy he needs some blinker fluid or a johnson rod.
They always tell me its the loose nut behind the steering wheel.

post #1095 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Here are the overview slides that I went through to kick-off the GTG. Not sure of a good way to upload them so we'll go this route....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SavoySlide1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	144074   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	144082   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	144090   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide4.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	144098   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide5.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	144106  

Name:	SavoySlide6.jpg
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	144114   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide7.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	144130   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide8.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	144138   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide9.jpg
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	144146   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide10.jpg
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	144154  

Name:	SavoySlide11.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	144162   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide12.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	144170   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide13.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	144178   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide14.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	144186   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide15.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	144194  

Name:	SavoySlide16.jpg
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	144202   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide17.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	144210   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide18.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	144218   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide19.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	144226   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide20.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	144234  

Name:	SavoySlide21.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	144242   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide22.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	144250   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide23.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	144258   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide24.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	144266   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide25.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	144274  

Name:	SavoySlide26.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	144282   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide27.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	144290   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide28.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	144298   Click image for larger version

Name:	SavoySlide29.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	144306  
post #1096 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Here are the overview slides that I went through to kick-off the GTG. Not sure of a good way to upload them so we'll go this route....
Dave...I'm missing the soundtrack...the slides by themselves are missing something. Thanks for sharing! Wish I would have been there. Great job on the GTG and theater.
post #1097 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dave...I'm missing the soundtrack...the slides by themselves are missing something. Thanks for sharing! Wish I would have been there. Great job on the GTG and theater.
You have to attend the GTG to get the soundtrack
post #1098 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 620 Post(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 3635
David,

I'd like to come over to watch a movie tonight and never leave.
carp likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #1099 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdburton07 View Post
Finally got some downtime at work so I can post some thoughts.

Now, I don't know if any of you go through home theater crises like me where nothing seems to be working right and you wonder why you care so much or spend the obscene amounts of money on this hobby that we do. But every so often a moment comes along that makes you realize exactly what got you into this crazy pursuit and makes you wonder how you could have ever questioned it. Spending time in The Savoy brought out that cinematic elation more acutely than anything I've encountered yet. Watching the aforementioned Cream drum solo was an experience that I will do anything to replicate in my own home.

I am close to starting a complete overhaul of my theater and, while I've looked forward to the final result, I was dreading the work it will take to get me there. Now after being reminded what hard work and planning can get you, I can hardly keep myself from calling in sick to work and getting started right away. (DD: considering how big a part you seemed to play in David's theater and how well it turned out, I might try to enlist you to help with mine by offering food and alcohol or whatever other vice that will convince you).

Impressions:
The 215's were intimidating in the best of ways. I would love to hear them in a treated room like the 212's because I was astounded by how much I liked the 212's for music and I believe Jeff said that the 215's are the better choice if music is a priority.

Nyal's presentation was fascinating and the information about not fully absorbing first reflections is something I'm going to be experimenting with. It certainly worked for David so I wonder if the same is true in my much smaller space.

Throughout the first demo I thought that my seat had a buttkicker or something similar because my chair was rumbling so much. It was so awesome. There were a lot of discussions about bass and sub placement in the theater, but for my tastes I doubt the bass could be much improved upon. Admittedly, my subwoofer setup is practically a tweeter compared to what the Kansas City folk seem to have.

I loved the combination of the calibrated Sony projector and the Darbee Darblet--before I was convinced that the next projector I buy will be a JVC but now I'm not so sure. I was interested in how Sony's reality creation compared to the darblet, but unfortunately there wouldn't have been time to play around with that. Either way, I'm going to see if I can pick up a used darblet in the near future.

The GTG itself could not have been better organized. David has a knack for cracking the whip to get people moving and organized while still making things really fun and relaxed. The food was great and it was very kind of his wife and kids to help out. The movie tickets were charming and helpful, ensuring that there was an even mix of people getting seats and standing (and thus preventing jerks like me from hogging the good seats all day). You can consider me preemptively RSVP'd for any future GTG's.
After more time to think about things, I think that the first scene where the sound rumbled the seats was due to the large 18" in the back that probably (David could confirm) is sitting right on the riser effectively. So you were getting the vibration of the monster 18" transferring through the riser and into the seats. I say this because to feel it THAT much in the seat, would mean that you would have felt it even more in your chest via air movement, and that wasn't the case. It was definitely more in the seat than the air. Don't get me wrong, it was an AWESOME thing, and I am not knocking it, and we know darn well that there was a lot of air movement from all of the 18s in the room. I am just thinking about it because I am thinking about adding an extension behind my riser and putting a 3rd sub back there. My front row won't "feel" it since it is not on a riser, but the back row would love it... And yes, I already have bass shakers attached to each of my 8 seats.

Secondly, projector calibration is very nice. The Sony really did really well in the demo space. I have my JVC RS45 calibrated and the image seemed about the same, maybe even slightly favoring my JVC, but then again, that is what I am used to. I too have the Darblet and was one of the biggest skeptics on AVS before I got it. I was offered one heck of a deal on it because I was SOOO skeptical, and now I am a firm believer in what it can do. Having such inky blacks with nice detail enhancements from the Darblet is great. So don't take JVC out of the running just yet. If you need 3D, then sure, look elsewhere. If you don't have full lighting control, then you won't benefit from the JVC black levels either and would benefit more from something like the Sony. There are so many variables with projectors.

So yes, the GTG really got me thinking... Thinking about how awesome The Savoy is... Thinking about what my space does well, and what I want to try to improve (without my wife totally freaking out).

I also have a game plan should I make it to V5.0 of my theater, which would be in a whole different home at this point, and I really don't want to think about that.
post #1100 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
David,

I'd like to come over to watch a movie tonight and never leave.
You are welcome here anytime...
post #1101 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
That was a nice PowerPoint presentation. ..looks to be an absolutely first rate job. Would have been worth the drive from Maryland to attend.

post #1102 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
After more time to think about things, I think that the first scene where the sound rumbled the seats was due to the large 18" in the back that probably (David could confirm) is sitting right on the riser effectively. So you were getting the vibration of the monster 18" transferring through the riser and into the seats. I say this because to feel it THAT much in the seat, would mean that you would have felt it even more in your chest via air movement, and that wasn't the case. It was definitely more in the seat than the air. Don't get me wrong, it was an AWESOME thing, and I am not knocking it, and we know darn well that there was a lot of air movement from all of the 18s in the room. I am just thinking about it because I am thinking about adding an extension behind my riser and putting a 3rd sub back there. My front row won't "feel" it since it is not on a riser, but the back row would love it... And yes, I already have bass shakers attached to each of my 8 seats.
Nick - thanks for the great comments. The rear 18" MBM is sitting on a platform that is filled with 1500lbs of sand and also completely decoupled from the riser - at least 1/2" all around the sub platform. It is also sitting on an Auralex Subdude HT - http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/S...T-22-x-18.html

David
post #1103 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
There is no receiver/preamp in the system. David is using a Solid State Logic Alpha Link MX 4-16 which gets the signal over fiber optic from a MADI card in the HTPC. I have a 16 channel Lynx Aurora 16 that I use for playback in my system. I'll be getting the new Thunderbolt version in a couple of weeks. With Thunderbolt, you can daisy chain up to 6 devices. If you connect 6 Lynx Aurora 16's to one computer, then you have 96 output channels!

You will get better results upmixing to 7.1 using Dolby Prologic IIx or JRiver's JRSS than just copying channels. In The Savoy, all 5.1 channel source material is upmixed to 7.1 first using JRSS.
Are you actually getting source 16 channels or repeating 8(x2) channels? I am trying to get my brain around 16 channels for a 8(7.1) channel source file.
post #1104 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Are you actually getting source 16 channels or repeating 8(x2) channels? I am trying to get my brain around 16 channels for a 8(7.1) channel source file.
Yes, I'm getting 16 channels and in the future can daisy chain SSL DAC's together to get up to 64 channels (yes....crazy talk)
post #1105 of 1524 Old 07-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Deep Sea Sound

CinemaAndy - take a look at this post where DD gives some detailed info.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post24503676

And that goes along with some of the screenshots on the presentation that show how he is splitting the front right, left, and center into pairs of mains and midbasses. The 4th midbass gets midbass from the rear and surround channels.
post #1106 of 1524 Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Liked: 943
WOW... with tickets and all..

I am shaking just following this thread... so professional...

Congrats!!!
post #1107 of 1524 Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
WOW... with tickets and all..

I am shaking just following this thread... so professional...

Congrats!!!
After attending this, it was as much of a "how to throw a GTG the right way" tutorial as it was a GTG in general.
post #1108 of 1524 Old 07-03-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Did I miss Archaea's comments?

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
post #1109 of 1524 Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Just had a great time at the gtg. One of the best I have attended. Organization makes a huge difference in getting things done in a timely manner since these gtg's are notorious for running late.

There are a few things that really stuck out in my mind. Possibly because now I feel that at least a few of them are weaknesses in my own room.

The surround field was fantastic. Just like carp said the "all around you" clip was astounding and I knew right away that my own surround field was lacking. I remember that Luke Kamp said "more please" after the clip and I felt the same way. The S8's were dynamic and kept up with the 212's. It seems that desertdome did a great job with the delays and the treatments may have helped with the diffusion. Placement appeared to work too. At any rate the end result was great and it left me thinking about changing my own room. I could install direct radiators instead of dipoles or maybe change treatments or placement of speakers.

The size of the room was just amazing. It is huge. I can't help but think that most of us are stuck trying to make a small room sound big but there is no substitute for having a big room to begin with. It sounds big which is a great thing.

The sony 55 did a great job lighting up that giant screen. The darbee was interesting. Maybe something I will play around with in the future. I don't think I universally liked what it did but when it worked it provided a big wow factor for enhancing detail.

The treatments were well done and it looks like Nyal spent quite a bit of time prescribing treatments instead of using generic applications.

The hvac was a high point. I will be installing a mini split before winter if funds permit. If you have he money then do it right he first time and expect you will need cooling in the dead of winter. I did anticipate this but was already over budget.

I think the 212's are some of the best cinema speakers out there in its price range. They shined in pretty much every clip. I expected no less and they sound similar in my own room even though the dimensions, calibration, and treatments are different.

Overall it was a well planned room and I think the budget was balanced for fantastic results.
post #1110 of 1524 Old 07-07-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
The more feedback I read about the Savoy grand-opening GTG; the more depressed I become at having missed it (had a relative's graduation - schedule conflict)
My belated congratulations to David and his team for a great theater (and GTG) !!!

My "Hawkeye afflicted" brother lives within 20 miles of this location - maybe someday, on my way to/from ISU

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page