The Beast, Unleashed - Page 127 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2651Likes

post #3781 of 6949 Old 11-26-2015, 10:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5629 Post(s)
Liked: 5200
Instead of a masking system, he pushes a button and two guys with a ladder switch out the screen format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 6949 Old 11-27-2015, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Put hardwood flooring in the equipment room and in what will be my office/casual media area. What a difference it makes to be able to walk down in the basement without workshoes on:

Now I can set up some amps and watch a movie on my massive.....vagabond 32" tv. Heh heh.
post #3783 of 6949 Old 11-27-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Looks great Matt. Please hurry up and finish the room so I can feel good about one of us including TcMG getting their rooms complete!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3784 of 6949 Old 11-27-2015, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
You put the hardwood down yourself? Prefinished?
post #3785 of 6949 Old 11-29-2015, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Floors came out good!
post #3786 of 6949 Old 11-29-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
post #3787 of 6949 Old 11-30-2015, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Looks great Matt. Please hurry up and finish the room so I can feel good about one of us including TcMG getting their rooms complete!

lol--man, I'm hosting a superbowl party....so the room WILL be functional to some capacity by then...even if I need to scoop up a business projector of the light-cannon variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Great work on the floors Brolic!

Would that I had the skill to do such a thing. I did not put the hardwood myself..no way. I had a company do it. I had no plans to do it so soon, but I got a quote for the work in September...and I called them last Monday to ask them how long the quote was good for. They said it expires on Wednesday....I told them "oh...well, that's short notice"...they said "Sir, if you schedule it for Wednesday or earlier, we will offer a $450 discount off the quoted price." I said "I'll see you on Wednesday." What a blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post
Floors came out good!
Thanks broham...means a lot coming from someone whose full basement has more square footage than my previous house lolol. We did the floated hardwood and plan on getting a humidifier and a dehumidifier to keep the moisture levels consistent throughout the seasons (between 35% and 75% is the "safe" range).
post #3788 of 6949 Old 11-30-2015, 05:30 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5629 Post(s)
Liked: 5200
post #3789 of 6949 Old 11-30-2015, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

VERY TRUE......Will pick this up after work today! It'll be in place by Wed. for sure.
post #3790 of 6949 Old 11-30-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Thanks broham...means a lot coming from someone whose full basement has more square footage than my previous house lolol. We did the floated hardwood and plan on getting a humidifier and a dehumidifier to keep the moisture levels consistent throughout the seasons (between 35% and 75% is the "safe" range).
Yea, and your equipment room is as big if not bigger then my entire theater room . Regardless, the whole project looks great and I can't wait to see some more pics of a completed room with carpet, seats, etc...

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3791 of 6949 Old 11-30-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Cmon Brolic...state a deadline and wrap this baby up! Need to put pressure on TMcG to get his a** moving on his theater
Quote:
@TMcG is quietly building the best theater known to mankind. He's probably installing a Kipniss array as we speak.
If by 'installing a Kipniss array' you mean 'renovating the master suite' as per the wife's mandate, then yes....I am installing a Kipniss array. It has sucked every minute of my limited free time. Fortunately I am 18 square feet of hearth tile away from checking off that huge project. Don't worry...I've taken plenty of photos along the way and have updates for both the master suite side project and theater re-build for all the construction junkies.

Here's a pic of the new master bedroom ceiling.... tray ceiling with cantilevered base and crown molding added to create a pocket for rope light. Ralph Lauren metallic paint in 'Oyster' added to the tray ceiling for a nicer shimmer from the light. Completely new ceiling fan location added with new fan. All new recessed lighting with Grafik Eye control. We also added insulation to the interior walls for soundproofing, a new gas fireplace with hearth, crown molding and all the stealth AV goodies you expect, including a new 55" 4K flat panel for above the fireplace mantle. Complete project pics to follow in a single post when I have the time to devote to it...probably over Christmas break.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1559.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1089554  
lovingdvd, dgage and BrolicBeast like this.
post #3792 of 6949 Old 11-30-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
..Would that I had the skill to do such a thing. I did not put the hardwood myself..no way. I had a company do it. I had no plans to do it so soon, but I got a quote for the work in September...and I called them last Monday to ask them how long the quote was good for. They said it expires on Wednesday....I told them "oh...well, that's short notice"...they said "Sir, if you schedule it for Wednesday or earlier, we will offer a $450 discount off the quoted price." I said "I'll see you on Wednesday." What a blessing...
Wow what a great break, congrats. How well does this type of flooring hold up against scratches, like if used in a utility room?
post #3793 of 6949 Old 12-04-2015, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Yea, and your equipment room is as big if not bigger then my entire theater room . Regardless, the whole project looks great and I can't wait to see some more pics of a completed room with carpet, seats, etc...

LOL, thanks Mike! We're about a day's work away from fabric panels. Grooveyyy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
If by 'installing a Kipniss array' you mean 'renovating the master suite' as per the wife's mandate, then yes....I am installing a Kipniss array. It has sucked every minute of my limited free time. Fortunately I am 18 square feet of hearth tile away from checking off that huge project. Don't worry...I've taken plenty of photos along the way and have updates for both the master suite side project and theater re-build for all the construction junkies.

Here's a pic of the new master bedroom ceiling.... tray ceiling with cantilevered base and crown molding added to create a pocket for rope light. Ralph Lauren metallic paint in 'Oyster' added to the tray ceiling for a nicer shimmer from the light. Completely new ceiling fan location added with new fan. All new recessed lighting with Grafik Eye control. We also added insulation to the interior walls for soundproofing, a new gas fireplace with hearth, crown molding and all the stealth AV goodies you expect, including a new 55" 4K flat panel for above the fireplace mantle. Complete project pics to follow in a single post when I have the time to devote to it...probably over Christmas break.

I'm very jealous of your "do everything' skills. You, good sir, belong in a Ford F150 advertisement with a sledgehammer in one hand, and a Savant remote in the other, with the caption "Two Worlds Collide" at the bottom. lol

That ceiling looks outstanding though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Wow what a great break, congrats. How well does this type of flooring hold up against scratches, like if used in a utility room?

I would not use this in a utility room, only because it would be expensive to replace in the event of a water heater leak (they all leak at some point). This is literally on the other side of the basement from the utilities, and if water makes it all the way out there, I'll be too busy crying about my theater carpet to remember the wood. lol. It's floated, so I hope that counts for something as a first line of defense against water. The equipment room is pretty close to the utilities room, but nobody will see it but me. I guarantee if that ever gets wet and warps, it's going to stay that way for a decade or two.
post #3794 of 6949 Old 12-04-2015, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
It appears to be engineered pre-finished oak flooring or a laminate with a pad. It is 3/8 or 1/2" thick.
post #3795 of 6949 Old 12-05-2015, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
It appears to be engineered pre-finished oak flooring or a laminate with a pad. It is 3/8 or 1/2" thick.
First guess was right. Its engineered oak. 1/2".
post #3796 of 6949 Old 12-06-2015, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
First guess was right. Its engineered oak. 1/2".
That's what I thought but was not sure from pics. Laminate is really popular on the East coast lately. If you need more engineerd or 3/4" solid wood flooring give me a shout. I own a wood flooring distribution company. I can't do your labor but can sell you wholesale material. I live in TX but lots of my manufactures operate up north closer to you.

Thanks again for the great deal on the Sony 4K PJ! I love it
AirBenji likes this.
post #3797 of 6949 Old 12-13-2015, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
That's what I thought but was not sure from pics. Laminate is really popular on the East coast lately. If you need more engineerd or 3/4" solid wood flooring give me a shout. I own a wood flooring distribution company. I can't do your labor but can sell you wholesale material. I live in TX but lots of my manufactures operate up north closer to you.

Thanks again for the great deal on the Sony 4K PJ! I love it
I appreciate it! We will definitely be in touch. Glad you're enjoying that Sony 4k
post #3798 of 6949 Old 12-13-2015, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sitting in the airport at Denver...just left a great vacation at The Arabelle up in Vail. I haven't been here since CEDIA 2014. What a beautiful state. The last time I was here, I was foaming at the mouth at the Trinnov Altitude. My wallet has disagreed with me since then, but the sense of nostalgia is inescapable.
post #3799 of 6949 Old 12-13-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

nice tim!
post #3800 of 6949 Old 12-13-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Quote:
Put hardwood flooring in the equipment room and in what will be my office/casual media area. What a difference it makes to be able to walk down in the basement without workshoes on:

Now I can set up some amps and watch a movie on my massive.....vagabond 32" tv. Heh heh.
very cool! cover it all with paper. wall to wall. take no chances! don't take a chance with dropping something. i put 3 layers of foam under my stairs coverings cause they got traveled on so much. i'm glad i did cause someone dropped a screwdriver and it went through my cardboard and 2 layers of the foam but the extra 2 layers saved me. i think the time and effort to cover all is well worth it. 12 for a roll of tape and the dollars for the roll of paper is way worth it!
post #3801 of 6949 Old 12-13-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Sitting in the airport at Denver...just left a great vacation at The Arabelle up in Vail. I haven't been here since CEDIA 2014. What a beautiful state. The last time I was here, I was foaming at the mouth at the Trinnov Altitude. My wallet has disagreed with me since then, but the sense of nostalgia is inescapable.
So this means what exactly . No Trinnov or Datasat? If not them, then what. What else is out there that can accommodate the amount of speakers, and complexity of your system. Not The Marantz I bought or even the 8802A could do that. Maybe you will just have to not use all of your speakers for the time being and get something else until a more affordable solution presents itself. I hope do hope that the rest of the install goes smoothly though.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3802 of 6949 Old 12-14-2015, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
cool build
post #3803 of 6949 Old 12-14-2015, 09:31 PM

What's the latest Matt? My build is starting to pick up a little momentum. Don't let me beat you to the finish line. (Actually no worries, you are way way far ahead, just trying to keep ya motivated ).
post #3804 of 6949 Old 12-15-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Might want to check out that 32" sub coming out.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #3805 of 6949 Old 12-15-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4725 Post(s)
Liked: 3514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Why not do 16 of the 24's and be done with it (and probably his home as well)?
post #3806 of 6949 Old 12-15-2015, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
I think I prefer more numerous smaller subs versus fewer larger ones. (assuming cost is the same)
Djoel likes this.
post #3807 of 6949 Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Why not do 16 of the 24's and be done with it (and probably his home as well)?
Quote:
I think I prefer more numerous smaller subs versus fewer larger ones. (assuming cost is the same)
Yea, I agree with both of you. Just wanted to show Matt the new driver coming out.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #3808 of 6949 Old 12-15-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea, I agree with both of you. Just wanted to show Matt the new driver coming out.
There really is a 32 inch driver?
post #3809 of 6949 Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
There really is a 32 inch driver?
Yes!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ub-thread.html

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #3810 of 6949 Old 12-15-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WOW! I'd still prefer more smaller drivers for a whole bunch of reasons. But WOW anyway!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page