The Beast, Unleashed - Page 205 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2701Likes

post #6121 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Wow Beast! You really unleashed it! Looks great!
lol I LOVE THIS POST! thanks man.....lol...yup, it has indeed been unleashed!
ereed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I know man! Amazing content....just happened to be viewing YouTube while feeding the baby, and it was a channel I had never seen before. The guy mentioned it (and I was like--no way, these things are exclusive to trade show attendees and those skilled in the art of ebay)....glad I checked it out.

My favorite is the Horizon demo, with the "Baseball Through Window" demo coming in at close second.
That "Audiosphere" tho! I'd never seen that one before, and the way it really works all of the surrounds and ceilings is incredible! I mean, super energetic, lots of clear high and low, and the signal just bouncing around the room!!! I don't know of anything that's made me happier about all of the time I spend EQing.
post #6123 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 5130 Post(s)
Liked: 3992
Quote:
4k....laser.....projector <--my wallet can't take those words used in the same sentence. It starts to convulse while foaming at the stitching. lol.
Not to worry. The first 42" flat panel was $20,000. Now, less than $200. The original 4K projector from Sony was $25,000 (1100ES). Now you get one for less than $5000 (285ES). My first computer hard drive was $180/megabyte. Now, less than $.0001/megabyte.

You catch my drift. By the time you go through a bulb or two on your JVC, you will be able to acquire a most outstanding laser projector for a very reasonable price from either Sony or JVC or who knows who else. I would put it on your 2021 Christmas list!!

Also:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Messy.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	2380620  
Mark Seaton and BrolicBeast like this.

Last edited by audioguy; 03-26-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6124 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
That "Audiosphere" tho! I'd never seen that one before, and the way it really works all of the surrounds and ceilings is incredible! I mean, super energetic, lots of clear high and low, and the signal just bouncing around the room!!! I don't know of anything that's made me happier about all of the time I spend EQing.
Oh I LOVE that one too! We have to do an EQ Crawl one of these Sundays and do a visit to both our theaters. I'd love to hear how your room sounds now that you're an EQ wizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Not to worry. The first 42" flat panel was $20,000. Now, less than $200. The original 4K projector from Sony was $25,000 (1100ES). Now you get one for less than $5000 (285ES). My first computer hard drive was $180/megabyte. Now, less than $.0001/megabyte.

You catch my drift. By the time you go through a bulb or two on your JVC, you will be able to acquire a most outstanding laser projector for a very reasonable price from either Sony or JVC or who knows who else. I would put it on your 2021 Christmas list!!

Also:

Hahahahahahahaha....that mess! the extension cord is for air fresheners, and the speaker wire is for the left Crowson. lol...good eye!

That's true about the trickle-down technology, because that's the ONLY way I could ever afford 4k laser technology at this stage in the game.
post #6125 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

For those new to the thread, I'm providing some details on the room below:

CONSTRUCTION DETALS

Noise isolated using the following criteria:
  • 1" gap between studs and concrete.
  • Double stud-wall wherever another room exists on the other side
  • IB-1 clips installed to studs in special pattern prescribed by The Soundproofing Company
  • Three layers of 5/8" drywall on hat channel for all walls and ceiling, with green-glue between each layer
  • Front Wall and Rear Wall have three layers of 5/8" drywall on both sides of double-stud wall
  • Dual airlock solid-core door systems for entryway, as well as for accessing storage area behind theater.
  • Standard solid core door between theater and equipment room, as the equipment room is also soundproofed with three layers of drywall and green-glue
Top Realized Benefits of Noise Isolation in The Beast, Unleashed:
  • Washing Machine, Dryer, and Dishwasher--all located at various positions directly above the theater's seating area--can be running at the same time (and often do all run at night while we are watching a movie), and absolutely no sound enters the theater directly beneath them
  • HVAC and hot water heater are both within 3 feet of the theater's rear wall, and the operation of the mechanicals is 100% inaudible within the theater, thanks to 6 layers of drywall/green glue and a double stud wall between the theater and mechanicals, as well as the double-airlock door with zero international door seals/door bottoms.
  • The room keeps nearly all sound in. At normal volumes, it keeps everything in....as I approach reference, some bass gets out, but not a whole lot. As an example, I watched Hacksaw Ridge at 2am at -5 volume, and neither my infant baby or light-sleeper wife had any idea I was watching. Reference volume is inaudible on the bedroom level upstairs. On the main level, these eight subwoofer output some SERIOUS bass, and it does vibrate certain things--the picture above the fireplace, for instance. However, it takes an extreme scene played at extremely loud volumes in order to make that happen. The best part is this: We usually watch movies with the door cracked, and even with the communicating doors (airlock) not engaged, the audio is not enough to wake the sleeping baby whose room overlooks an entry foyer, which--in turn--is right above the unfinished home gym directly outside of the theater. I only ever close the doors if I plan on really playing loudly, and everyone is sleeping (i.e. Hacksaw Ridge at 2am)..this is rare because....
  • The room is so quiet, and therefore, I get a lot more enjoyment from movies at much lower volumes than I expected. It's great to hear the well-balanced audio as it dances around the room at low volumes
DISPLAY
JVC DLA-RS520 4K Projector with seven (7) 3D glasses

SCREEN
Seymour AV Centerstage XD Curved Screen: 144" wide, 16:9 aspect ratio

SPEAKERS
Left, Center, Right: Triad CinemaPlus Platinum LCR (3)
Wides: Triad Gold InWall LCR (2)
Side Surrounds (Front Row): Triad Gold InWall LCR (2)
Side Surrounds (Rear Row): Triad Gold InWall LCR (2)
Rear Surrounds: Triad Gold InWall LCR (2)
Atmos: RSL C34E Edgeless (6)
Subwoofers: Seaton Sound F18 Subwoofers (8)
Bass Shakers: Crowson Tactile Transducers (7)

AMPLIFICATION BY CHANNEL
Left, Center, Right: QSC DCA 1622 (3)--1600wpc each in monoblock configuration
Wides: QSC DCA 1644
Side Surrounds (Front Row): QSC DCA 1644
Side Surrounds (Rear Row): QSC DCA 1644
Rear Surrounds: QSC DCA 1644
Atmos: QSC DCA 1644+1222
Subwoofers: Seaton Sound 8000w RackAmp
Bass Shakers: Behringer iNuke 3000DSP

PROCESSORS
Video: Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 w/ 18Ghz in/out cards (8 input, 4 output)
Audio: Anthem AVM60 Home Cinema Processor
Digital Signal: QSC Q-Sys Core 250i and QSC Q=Sys I/O Extender

SOURCES
4K Disc Playback: Oppo UDP-203
4K Media Streamer: Roku Ultra
Media Server: HTPC running JRiver Media Center
High Resolution Audio: Oppo Sonica DAC
Gaming: Microsoft Xbox One S
Gaming: Sony PlayStation 4

SEATING
Rear Row: Fusion Seating: Tributes (3) with motorized reclining and aluminum cup holders
Front Row: Fusion Seating: Tributes (4) with motorized reclining and aluminum cup holders
MIkeDuke, TMcG, rfbrang and 1 others like this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 03-26-2018 at 09:38 AM.
post #6126 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hahahahahahahaha....that mess! the extension cord is for air fresheners,
Do you still not have active HVAC in your theater yet?
post #6127 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you still not have active HVAC in your theater yet?

Nope--but the air fresheners are for a scent we love--Cashmere Woods. The entire theater smells like it. So relaxing.
post #6128 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

On the cost of the room, here's the big kicker: This is the MSRP value of the room, which I'd say is in line with the high performance room I originally envisioned (but didn't appropriately budget for). If I didn't have great relationships with so many awesome dealers, it's what I would have had to pay...but thankfully, I paid significantly less:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
damelon, ambesolman, TMcG and 1 others like this.
post #6129 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Because this is an actual sickness....

I have two spare Insteon switches wired up, each connected to 20A romex currently run into the theater and taped off at the ends. The switches are always kept to off to avoid power delivery, even though the romex is taped off.

Question: I've been having trouble figuring out how to utilize them. So far, I can only come up with one idea: using one feed for screen-wash lights. That has its challenges....how would I do this for a curved screen where the lights would need to be installed, presumably, right in front of the top of the screen frame? It would need to be removeable, which would mean I'd need an inlet in whichever "box' holds the light pucks.

I don't even know what to use the other lighting romex for.

Just fishing for thoughts....not lifting a finger or spending a cent anytime soon.....

...unless it's a simple solution (rubs hands together and grins).
post #6130 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Don’t worry buddy, I got this.
1. Install lights on the ground pointed up at the screen and speakers.
2. Install flat can LED lights on the sides pointed in.

I don’t remember how much room you have back there, I don’t think you had the screen up when we were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6131 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh I LOVE that one too! We have to do an EQ Crawl one of these Sundays and do a visit to both our theaters. I'd love to hear how your room sounds now that you're an EQ wizard.
Heck yeah, I'm down! It might (hopefully) have to be soon tho, since the house goes back up on the market in ~ 1.5 weeks!

For the record tho, IDK if I'm an EQ wizard. I think I'm better than I was, and at least now have a slightly better understanding of what I DON'T know.

And OMG at that itemized expense list! I've seen first hand your awesome rack and setup, but never mentally summed up the bill!
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6132 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I added in the cost of the physical room (and treatments), I would be within a few dollars of your number. But I didn't pay MSRP either. But go add the real numbers to see what you really invested. Pretty mind boggling !!
BrolicBeast likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 03-26-2018 at 06:38 PM.
post #6133 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 347
BTW Brolic - Kudos for posting cost breakdown. I was really nervous when I did this but I think it's very helpful information for people to have.
ambesolman, BrolicBeast and TMcG like this.
post #6134 of 6988 Old 03-26-2018, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I added in the cost of the physical room (and treatments), I would be within a few dollars of your number. But I didn't pay MSRP either. But go add the real numbers to see what you really invested. Pretty mind boggling !!
Oh I believe that whole heartedly....our rooms are quite similar, in more ways than not. Oh yeah, I have another version of this list that includes actual prices paid, but don't want to post it out of respect for my dealers--some of which gave me additional discounts just because they knew I was trying to realize a dream. All in all, my total actual spending is at around $110k over 4 years (including 2015, which saw very little accomplished). Not all great dreams come true, but this one did, by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
Don’t worry buddy, I got this.
1. Install lights on the ground pointed up at the screen and speakers.
2. Install flat can LED lights on the sides pointed in.

I don’t remember how much room you have back there, I don’t think you had the screen up when we were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good ideas....I'm going to do some digging on some lighting i can grab to fit these ideas. I like the idea of screen wash from below and sides. Could create a smooth, ethereal glow.
Quote:
Heck yeah, I'm down! It might (hopefully) have to be soon tho, since the house goes back up on the market in ~ 1.5 weeks!

For the record tho, IDK if I'm an EQ wizard. I think I'm better than I was, and at least now have a slightly better understanding of what I DON'T know.

And OMG at that itemized expense list! I've seen first hand your awesome rack and setup, but never mentally summed up the bill!
Oh that's right....its springtime! Ok cool, I'll check with the Mrs. Oh yeah man, this is the single most expensive undertaking I've ever done in my life (not counting higher education or real estate) ..it's a once in a lifetime effort for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
BTW Brolic - Kudos for posting cost breakdown. I was really nervous when I did this but I think it's very helpful information for people to have.
It's funny you say that....I posted this because I remember you posting yours. Your granular account of theater cost actually helped me realize I might be able to afford to do it too....I remember you had details down to the dollars and cents from your Home Depot receipts.

DougUSMC likes this.
post #6135 of 6988 Old 03-27-2018, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Matt:I did find one small error in your pricing list. I believe you have 6 RSLs and list them at $250 each. They are, however, $125 each ... for everyone!!!
post #6136 of 6988 Old 03-27-2018, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Matt:I did find one small error in your pricing list. I believe you have 6 RSLs and list them at $250 each. They are, however, $125 each ... for everyone!!!
Ohhhh good catch!

post #6137 of 6988 Old 03-27-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Ohhhh good catch!
Did you pay $150 or $250 yourself though? Should be what you paid not what they currently cost.

Quote:
It's funny you say that....I posted this because I remember you posting yours. Your granular account of theater cost actually helped me realize I might be able to afford to do it too....I remember you had details down to the dollars and cents from your Home Depot receipts.
Heh yeah, I'm sure I missed some but tried to keep them all together in a folder. Even have some of BIG's initial measurements and sketches in there. Still makes me jealous... I miss working on it. You are going to have that feeling now that you are finishing too. Even though it has taken so long and so much work, it sort of becomes part of the fun. I want to make some changes but it is so much work afterwords to so such small things.
post #6138 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Did you pay $150 or $250 yourself though? Should be what you paid not what they currently cost.

Heh yeah, I'm sure I missed some but tried to keep them all together in a folder. Even have some of BIG's initial measurements and sketches in there. Still makes me jealous... I miss working on it. You are going to have that feeling now that you are finishing too. Even though it has taken so long and so much work, it sort of becomes part of the fun. I want to make some changes but it is so much work afterwords to so such small things.

Well, the above list is all based on MSRP...I want to avoid placing actual prices paid because some of my dealers sold me gear for prices they could get in trouble for, and i don’t want to mess with their business. But Audioguy is totally right...they are $250 a pair, not $250 each. Gosh, the value is just ridiculous.

Oh I won’t miss working on the theater at all.....why? Because I have a new project in the works: the Dolby Atmos Home Gym: https://www.instagram.com/brolic.strength/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #6139 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@DougUSMC bro, I watched Star Wars: The Last Jedi on Tuesday night....this is the first "blockbuster" flick I've seen since getting the chairs. Started in the front row, center seat......

But you see, I've been watching movies in the rear row with the Mrs......so I've grown accustomed to the awesome *room* experience back there.....

So I settle in for a blockbuster in the front row MLP.......and 45 minutes into the movie, I pause, get up, calmly walk up to the back of the room, sit down in the rear row, and hit play.

Both rows sound GREAT......but when in the rear row, I also get to take in the "scale" of the room, and I really get the "I'm at the commercial cinema" feel.

So....

1) Front Row: 100% satisfied with audio/visual experience.
2) Rear Row: 100% satisfied with audio/visual experience AND the overall experience is improved by perceived room scale

In other words: I totally see what you mean regarding loving the second row!
post #6140 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@DougUSMC bro, I watched Star Wars: The Last Jedi on Tuesday night....this is the first "blockbuster" flick I've seen since getting the chairs. Started in the front row, center seat......

But you see, I've been watching movies in the rear row with the Mrs......so I've grown accustomed to the awesome *room* experience back there.....

So I settle in for a blockbuster in the front row MLP.......and 45 minutes into the movie, I pause, get up, calmly walk up to the back of the room, sit down in the rear row, and hit play.

Both rows sound GREAT......but when in the rear row, I also get to take in the "scale" of the room, and I really get the "I'm at the commercial cinema" feel.

So....

1) Front Row: 100% satisfied with audio/visual experience.
2) Rear Row: 100% satisfied with audio/visual experience AND the overall experience is improved by perceived room scale

In other words: I totally see what you mean regarding loving the second row!
Yuuuuusss!!! Vindicated!!!
(Though I would concede that my front row definitely gets the short end of the audio stick, so for me it's not as fair of a comparison as it is for you.)
I'm seriously considering following in the footsteps of a far more impressive theater around here, and putting in a faux 1st row in the next theater...

We're doing our screening of TLJ on Saturday night, w/some folks coming over. We've already seen it in the theater, so I'm interested in seeing how it compares at home. I already know my popcorn is better tho.
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6141 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yuuuuusss!!! Vindicated!!!
(Though I would concede that my front row definitely gets the short end of the audio stick, so for me it's not as fair of a comparison as it is for you.)
I'm seriously considering following in the footsteps of a far more impressive theater around here, and putting in a faux 1st row in the next theater...

We're doing our screening of TLJ on Saturday night, w/some folks coming over. We've already seen it in the theater, so I'm interested in seeing how it compares at home. I already know my popcorn is better tho.

The craziest part of that theater is the fact that his front row is an actual (and quite expensive) useable front row.....although it's relegated to providing the "experience" of not being in the front row when he's in the second row (which, functionally is the front row). lol.

I'm getting ready to write my impressions of TLJ on Ralph Potts' review thread later today. There was one particular event I was looking for that didn't *really* happen....and I'm ticked off about it.
post #6142 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The craziest part of that theater is the fact that his front row is an actual (and quite expensive) useable front row.....although it's relegated to providing the "experience" of not being in the front row when he's in the second row (which, functionally is the front row). lol.
Yuuuup. I'm thinking about a 14-16' screen, so I want my MLP about 18'ish. That means I can put a front @ 11', which really is unusable unless you're squeezing. A third row at 26ish is good and probably not too bad.

Quote:
I'm getting ready to write my impressions of TLJ on Ralph Potts' review thread later today. There was one particular event I was looking for that didn't *really* happen....and I'm ticked off about it.
Ah, cool, I'll have to check that out. I have some beefs w/the movie too, but I'm alll about the SW canon. I've been watching/reading them for 40+ yrs, including over a hundred of the books. I can cut them slack based on a lot of things, but some of the physics bothers me more than anything...
post #6143 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
[QUOTE=DougUSMC;55940970]Yuuuup. I'm thinking about a 14-16' screen, so I want my MLP about 18'ish. That means I can put a front @ 11', which really is unusable unless you're squeezing. A third row at 26ish is good and probably not too bad.

WOW! A 14-16' wide screen? That would be nice. I think you you would be good at 18' for the 14' screen, but 20' may be better for the 16' one. You would also need 10' ceilings for the 16' screen where you could probably be ok with 9' ceilings for the 14' one.

Matt, has got me rethinking going with a scope screen. If I go with two rows of seats in mine and stay at 14' wide room I could go with a 14' wide 16:9 screen, but could also maybe go with a 165.6"x70.48" scope screen which would be nice as well. Either I think would be nice to have, but I probably which more 16:9 content so it is something I would have to look into when I get there.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #6144 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Ladeback;55941414]
Quote:
Yuuuup. I'm thinking about a 14-16' screen, so I want my MLP about 18'ish. That means I can put a front @ 11', which really is unusable unless you're squeezing. A third row at 26ish is good and probably not too bad.

WOW! A 14-16' wide screen? That would be nice. I think you you would be good at 18' for the 14' screen, but 20' may be better for the 16' one. You would also need 10' ceilings for the 16' screen where you could probably be ok with 9' ceilings for the 14' one.

Matt, has got me rethinking going with a scope screen. If I go with two rows of seats in mine and stay at 14' wide room I could go with a 14' wide 16:9 screen, but could also maybe go with a 165.6"x70.48" scope screen which would be nice as well. Either I think would be nice to have, but I probably which more 16:9 content so it is something I would have to look into when I get there.
Do the 16:9! You can always get the magnetic masking panels for when you want the 2:35 feel, but you can pull them off when you don't. My masking panels are still in their bubble wrap though, as I use my Lumagen to fill the 16:9 screen with 2:35 images (minor cropping, worth the tradeoff for the immersion factor....I don't need to see those extra two leaves swaying on the far right of the screen).
post #6145 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post

Yup, he messed up my math too. I put 10' 2.35 in the current one, and was happy with the wide screen. After seeing his scope and 12', I have no doubt I need bigger than my 10' for the next one. 12' just doesn't seem like enough of a bump, so I'm trying to start at 14'. I also want to have the faux GOM walls like he has, and take the audio to the next level on the Atmos front too. My "goal" for the next room is 25' wide, 35' long, 14' ceilings. That's mostly due to the fact that I want really deep faux walls and to go from my 16' wide room to at least 19', to accommodate another seat and wider aisles; plus a projector room in the back. I'm hoping to make it at least 20' wide and 35' long, with 12' ceilings to pull off the vision. In that room, a 14-16' is great, but not really "crazy".
Let's be honest tho: I'm really hoping to get the best possible blank slate, for Nyal to work his magic.

These local builders are killing me though, and anything wider than 16' gives them conniptions. Not to mention anything higher than a 10' ceiling...
Ladeback likes this.
post #6146 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do the 16:9! You can always get the magnetic masking panels for when you want the 2:35 feel, but you can pull them off when you don't. My masking panels are still in their bubble wrap though, as I use my Lumagen to fill the 16:9 screen with 2:35 images (minor cropping, worth the tradeoff for the immersion factor....I don't need to see those extra two leaves swaying on the far right of the screen).
Oh, bro, your screen totally sold us. Even if we weren't moving, I bet Mrs Doug would support changing out the screen b/c she loved yours so much!

The only thing I want is more room height, so I can keep a stage. Our little ones constantly get up there and sing along / act out scenes, and I don't want to lose that.
post #6147 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
I watched your video of you using the Lumagen when you had your 2:35 screen.

So now you are using it to take a 2.35:1 to 16:9? That would be cool. The Lumagen looks cool, but not sure the wife would like the price on it. I could live with the black bars on the bottom and top if the screen is wider though. I think I can maybe sell her on a bigger screen once the room is built. I would just set up my seating for it.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #6148 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup, he messed up my math too. I put 10' 2.35 in the current one, and was happy with the wide screen. After seeing his scope and 12', I have no doubt I need bigger than my 10' for the next one. 12' just doesn't seem like enough of a bump, so I'm trying to start at 14'. I also want to have the faux GOM walls like he has, and take the audio to the next level on the Atmos front too. My "goal" for the next room is 25' wide, 35' long, 14' ceilings. That's mostly due to the fact that I want really deep faux walls and to go from my 16' wide room to at least 19', to accommodate another seat and wider aisles; plus a projector room in the back. I'm hoping to make it at least 20' wide and 35' long, with 12' ceilings to pull off the vision. In that room, a 14-16' is great, but not really "crazy".
Let's be honest tho: I'm really hoping to get the best possible blank slate, for Nyal to work his magic.

These local builders are killing me though, and anything wider than 16' gives them conniptions. Not to mention anything higher than a 10' ceiling...

If you build your theater between I-beams, you might be in luck. My original space is 18' wide--stud wall under I-Beam to the left, and foundation wall under I-Beam to the right. 20 would likely be a really tough sell unless it doens't need to support anything. Maybe focus on property with more land, and then have the builder lay the foundation of an addition, and then get a contractor to build it up from there to your exact specs?

Quote:
Oh, bro, your screen totally sold us. Even if we weren't moving, I bet Mrs Doug would support changing out the screen b/c she loved yours so much!

The only thing I want is more room height, so I can keep a stage. Our little ones constantly get up there and sing along / act out scenes, and I don't want to lose that.
Yeah, doing a stage and 16:9 screen really requires some serious height. It could def be done with 10' ceiling though. You could also build a stage with a notch built in to cradle the bottom of your screen frame...would net you an additional ~4" or so. or....go frameless (I know Seymour has this option)...this will net your 8 additional inches, and would look pretty cool. Nothing but screen surrounded by wall.

I'm eventually going to sell this screen to get a 4-way motorized masking screen at the same size...not because I need the masking, but because I can change the screen size to be anything. War of the Worlds looks horrible on any screen, but I could enjoy it a little more on an 8 foot wide screen. Oh that must be adorable...watching the kids performing up on stage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I watched your video of you using the Lumagen when you had your 2:35 screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwF7nYe-YzM

So now you are using it to take a 2.35:1 to 16:9? That would be cool. The Lumagen looks cool, but not sure the wife would like the price on it. I could live with the black bars on the bottom and top if the screen is wider though. I think I can maybe sell her on a bigger screen once the room is built. I would just set up my seating for it.

Yes indeed! check out this video...the movie scenes at the opening and closing shots of the intro segment are 2:35 expanded to 16:9. Just a great sense of immersion:

xpostal and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #6149 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you build your theater between I-beams, you might be in luck. My original space is 18' wide--stud wall under I-Beam to the left, and foundation wall under I-Beam to the right. 20 would likely be a really tough sell unless it doens't need to support anything. Maybe focus on property with more land, and then have the builder lay the foundation of an addition, and then get a contractor to build it up from there to your exact specs?
Yeah, that's definitely it. I'm starting to think that my basement theater won't happen to my specs. The slab under garage is just proving to be CRAZY expensive w/any builders in our area. Finding the space w/o specifically doing it isn't happening. I'm really starting to lean towards a separate building, dedicated to lobby, HT, and "Dad's Loft above".

Quote:
Yeah, doing a stage and 16:9 screen really requires some serious height. It could def be done with 10' ceiling though. You could also build a stage with a notch built in to cradle the bottom of your screen frame...would net you an additional ~4" or so. or....go frameless (I know Seymour has this option)...this will net your 8 additional inches, and would look pretty cool. Nothing but screen surrounded by wall.
Well, I want the height for that 16:9 AND for the lighting & audio. I really want the feel that the tall ceilings lends, as well as the ability for the Atmos sound field to really form. Then add a couple of feet behind an AT false ceiling to really knock out the speakers, acoustic treatments, and lighting solutions, and I "need" at least 12'. Lastly, 3 rows takes some riser height, plus I want the "floor" to actually be raised too, so the 1st row has SOME of the feel that the others get. That's why the wish-height is 14'.
BrolicBeast and Ladeback like this.
post #6150 of 6988 Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Duuuuuuuuuuuude!!! I finally got a chance to check out that downloads site you threw out, and it's pretty much da bomb!!

Not only are there a TON of demos there, plus everything from the Atmos disc, but there's a new Atmos one there that's my current fav!!
Link please.
flynfish and rkeeney like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page