The Beast, Unleashed - Page 210 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2596Likes

post #6271 of 6894 Old 07-05-2018, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Interesting. So you are apparently OK then with diminished audio on non 3D audio movies since that is all Apple delivers? I will have to do some listening and see what I am giving up.

On a similar note, the new Dune 4K/HDR device ($199) is shipping and it does do HDR and bitstream and will read my MKV files ----- and mine should be here in a week or so. It will replace the ATV/Infuse for watching my ripped movies. I have too much invested in audio equipment to give up ANY audio quality and I'm tired of having to find and load my Atmos discs when I want to watch to them.
Yup, now dont get me wrong--movies for which Atmos truly matters (Ready Player One, for instance--im def waiting for disc) get the supreme Oppo treatment...but a film like Braveheart....I just click play on the GUI and let DSU do its thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
simple man likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 6894 Old 07-05-2018, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. So you are apparently OK then with diminished audio on non 3D audio movies since that is all Apple delivers? I will have to do some listening and see what I am giving up.

On a similar note, the new Dune 4K/HDR device ($199) is shipping and it does do HDR and bitstream and will read my MKV files ----- and mine should be here in a week or so. It will replace the ATV/Infuse for watching my ripped movies. I have too much invested in audio equipment to give up ANY audio quality and I'm tired of having to find and load my Atmos discs when I want to watch to them.
Also, we've invested in an experience. Audio and video--while the largest contributors--are two of many. Part of that investment includes sitting down, scrolling through a list of expensively priced movies, and hitting play. Its insufficient as the only a/v source, but it's definitely a great option for the non-whiz-bang movies. BTW...Apple is getting Atmos this fall (I lost my mind when I read the article).

post #6273 of 6894 Old 07-05-2018, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Guys, I'm having trouble discerning Apple TV 4k from my 4k discs. Its reached the point where if I know a film doesnt have an active atmos track, I'll just redeem the digital copy from the disc and play from the Apple TV.

Video-wise, I think we are at a point where streaming has caught up, which is no small matter since--due to the size of my screen-- bad video quality sticks out like a sore thumb. I do have GB up/down speeds, which may (or may not) play a role.

I will start planning the next G2G soon...i'll be sure to include this disc/streaming AB comparison on the agenda.

That is the million dollar question right now Matt. With ATV doing 4K (probably Lossy audio) ATMOS in the fall from their servers, the question then becomes one of whether or not the difference in audio is noticeable to those with a high resolution (audio wise) system. The video quality is there and the convenience and interface is fantastic no question. Only time will tell, but I think we are much closer than you think. BTW, the GB speeds helps but not necessary as the compression rate is tuned to the lowest common denominator.

Quote:

This is what I went through a year ago and hence settled on a NVidia Shield that will do HDR and ATMOS bitstreamed. I just sideloaded KODI and have never looked back. Recently got the bug to experiment and have been testing a HTPC option with MadVR and KODI. Picture looks better and can be configured to function as a shell.
Movie78 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6274 of 6894 Old 07-06-2018, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
That is the million dollar question right now Matt. With ATV doing 4K (probably Lossy audio) ATMOS in the fall from their servers, the question then becomes one of whether or not the difference in audio is noticeable to those with a high resolution (audio wise) system.
There are actually two questions: (1) Will Apple even provide bitstream capability from a local NAS and (2) will it be lossy or lossless. I just don't see any reason for them to provide lossless (not their target market) so went ahead a bought the Dune. If I am wrong, I will sell the Dune and take a bit of a small hit and move on --- and be happy about it.

Quote:
This is what I went through a year ago and hence settled on a NVidia Shield that will do HDR and ATMOS bitstreamed. I just sideloaded KODI and have never looked back. Recently got the bug to experiment and have been testing a HTPC option with MadVR and KODI. Picture looks better and can be configured to function as a shell.
Questions: For the Shield, was does Kodi provide that the Nvidia doesn't? Prior to ordering the Dune, I was considering going the PC route and maybe running JRiver or something. I'm hoping the Dune will get me the video (and video "tunability") I need so I don't have to do that. My knowledge of configuring PCs on a scale of 1 to 10 MAYBE approaches 3 (ish) but I may be no more successful on the Dune !! That is the beauty of the ATV. Even a dunce like me could make it work.
post #6275 of 6894 Old 07-06-2018, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 564
This conversation is exactly my main source of angst while designing the new HT. I figured I'd be trying to rationalize the "Need" for either a 100TB RAID or a Kscape system. Who would have ever guessed that I was trying to figure out where to put the shelving needed for 1000 4k disks in 2018???

I hate to say it fellas, but I'm leaning towards building a huge shelving system, b/c I don't trust the future of streamed Atmos. The good news is that my OCD actually makes it enjoyable to alphabetize the 500+ cases I have, while the comp sci geek enjoys building the 16TB NAS we have now. The biggest PITA is waiting for one tech or the other to reign supreme, so I can plan the automation/control portion of the system.

Wasn't it just yesterday that we were waiting for the HDDVD battle to resolve?
BrolicBeast and Pradeep2 like this.
post #6276 of 6894 Old 07-06-2018, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 1799
Quote:
Do you have a link to the specific device you bought? I've been following these products for a while and feel a Dune device *might* be my 'go-to' streaming player when I actually go to buy at the end of this year. In fact, I'm considering getting two so I can run two simultaneous streams to two different zones through my multi-zone HDMI Matrix.

You and I are cut from the same cloth when it comes to our HiFi gear and approach, so I'm very interested to hear your impressions.
post #6277 of 6894 Old 07-06-2018, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
There are actually two questions: (1) Will Apple even provide bitstream capability from a local NAS and (2) will it be lossy or lossless. I just don't see any reason for them to provide lossless (not their target market) so went ahead a bought the Dune. If I am wrong, I will sell the Dune and take a bit of a small hit and move on --- and be happy about it.

Questions: For the Shield, was does Kodi provide that the Nvidia doesn't? Prior to ordering the Dune, I was considering going the PC route and maybe running JRiver or something. I'm hoping the Dune will get me the video (and video "tunability") I need so I don't have to do that. My knowledge of configuring PCs on a scale of 1 to 10 MAYBE approaches 3 (ish) but I may be no more successful on the Dune !! That is the beauty of the ATV. Even a dunce like me could make it work.
The Shield employs Plex which looks the same as Kodi, but with one major difference. In Plex the video and subtitles sometimes have to be transcoded during playback which equals slowdown for me. Kodi offers a more robust configuration (including home automation, addons, etc), but mainly no transcoding needed. With Kodi + PC, one can use things like MadVR to essentially act like a Lumagen with custom 3D LUT, gamma calibration, and various tone mapping/processing features to provide probably the best picture I have seen on a projector. This however comes at a cost of being computer savvy enough to fix problems that arise with Windows. The new Dune UHD 4K is more robust than any other media player I have seen and can also run Kodi, etc. This was not an option when I was in the market otherwise I too would have gone this way.
post #6278 of 6894 Old 07-06-2018, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If Apple's Atmos announcement turns out "to good to be true, I'll stick with shiny discs. I restarted making disc backups earlier this year, but just never had time to keep it going. Jricer us still used fir audio (lossless FLAC files are the only way). @DougUSMC I did the alphabetization of blu Ray's in the bast, BUT....it becomes super tedious because once you add a title, the need to shift discs at the end if that shelf to the beginning of the shelf below becomes uber tedious when you have a lot of shelves. Drove me crazy! @audioguy , you've had Kscape....if your Dune comes close, I might grab one and pay some college kid from church $50 to rip and catalog the rest of my films.

post #6279 of 6894 Old 07-06-2018, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is the million dollar question right now Matt. With ATV doing 4K (probably Lossy audio) ATMOS in the fall from their servers, the question then becomes one of whether or not the difference in audio is noticeable to those with a high resolution (audio wise) system. The video quality is there and the convenience and interface is fantastic no question.
If Apple only provide a lossy Atmos package, then I'll keep on using shiny discs for bigger movies as the audio difference is def noticeable on those tracks. But for movies like RomComs and Dramas....nah man! I recall when lossless bluray audio was first released....I had the onkyo tx-sr764--the first receiver to accept master audio/tru hd. I used to vehemently refuse to buy any blu ray if it didnt have a lossless audio track on it. Now, I see things in shades of gray when I dont expect much from the soundtrack. Just screened MI: Rogue Nation on 4k blu ray with some neighbors over last weekend, and what an experience that was! Would never relegate such a gloriously mixed film to Apple TV audio constraints....but "3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri"....dont need to hear Frances McDormand's numerous f-bombs in all their high resolution. Lol.

capricorn kid likes this.
post #6280 of 6894 Old 07-06-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Do you have a link to the specific device you bought? I've been following these products for a while and feel a Dune device *might* be my 'go-to' streaming player when I actually go to buy at the end of this year. In fact, I'm considering getting two so I can run two simultaneous streams to two different zones through my multi-zone HDMI Matrix.

You and I are cut from the same cloth when it comes to our HiFi gear and approach, so I'm very interested to hear your impressions.
Click HERE for the web site

And the product is the Dune HD Pro 4K

I am assuming that this product is a few firmware updates to being completely "ready for prime time". But the company has a great reputation and another AVSer, in whom I trust, just got one (he, too, was a Kaleidescape user) and while he has yet to do long term viewing and listening, was very pleased with both the audio and video. And while I am not suggesting that $200 is pocket change, given what I have invested in the room and equipment, I have no concerns if it does not end up being the long term solution and I have to scrap it, though I am comfortable that it eventually will be. I also think that once it has reached "ready for prime time" status, Kaleidescape will lose a few more customers.
post #6281 of 6894 Old 07-07-2018, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did the alphabetization of blu Ray's in the bast, BUT....it becomes super tedious because once you add a title, the need to shift discs at the end if that shelf to the beginning of the shelf below becomes uber tedious when you have a lot of shelves.
I've been there, done that. What I finally did was leave space for 5-10 more on each shelf, across the 10 or so shelves. That way, I don't have to do the shift until I've gotten 50-100 new ones. Once a year or so.

Quote:
If Apple only provide a lossy Atmos package, then I'll keep on using shiny discs for bigger movies as the audio difference is def noticeable on those tracks.
I hate to admit it, but for movies like those I just Rent it from a streaming source, until I decide if it's worth a purchase. Most of the time, I don't feel the need.

Quote:
And the product is the Dune HD Pro 4K
Gonna' have to go check that out.
post #6282 of 6894 Old 07-07-2018, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=DougUSMC;56453874]I've been there, done that. What I finally did was leave space for 5-10 more on each shelf, across the 10 or so shelves. That way, I don't have to do the shift until I've gotten 50-100 new ones. Once a year or so. [quote]

I do the same. I have enough shelf space that I can continue to do this for at least another 4 or 5 more years. Maybe by that time, maybe there will be streaming services that have figured out how to deliver audio and video that look and sound as good as shiny discs then I won't need to buy them any longer.

Quote:
I hate to admit it, but for movies like those I just Rent it from a streaming source, until I decide if it's worth a purchase. Most of the time, I don't feel the need.
I tend to either use Redbox or stream any movie I have little potential interest in owning. 90% of all of our owned movies are sci-fi, mystery, action, adventure, concert videos, etc --- which my wife occasionally points out to me .
DougUSMC likes this.
post #6283 of 6894 Old 07-09-2018, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Beast, Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
I've been there, done that. What I finally did was leave space for 5-10 more on each shelf, across the 10 or so shelves. That way, I don't have to do the shift until I've gotten 50-100 new ones. Once a year or so.

Gonna' have to go check that out.

That’s a good idea—what do you use to fill the space to keep the discs upright? i might take this approach because all my discs are sitting in plastic storage bins behind the theater (except for my 4k discs—they’re being stored in the equipment room.

Quote:
Quote:

I do the same. I have enough shelf space that I can continue to do this for at least another 4 or 5 more years. Maybe by that time, maybe there will be streaming services that have figured out how to deliver audio and video that look and sound as good as shiny discs then I won't need to buy them any longer.

I tend to either use Redbox or stream any movie I have little potential interest in owning. 90% of all of our owned movies are sci-fi, mystery, action, adventure, concert videos, etc --- which my wife occasionally points out to me .

Something interesting happened over the weekend that me reconsider my 3-month old habit of settling for the Apple TV for convenience. My wife had the inexplicable urge to watch Finding Nemo (pregnancy movie craving—she’s awesome!)....and the movie is backed up to my NAS, but not owned digitally (the blu ray is, after all, older than any of these digital redemption services). So, I used web access to connect to my JRiver library and “cast” the playback to our smart TV in the family room. As I was doing all of this, I was marveling at the fact that I have so many movies backed up to my NAS that just don’t exist in digital, and the newer movies that do exist in digital also have their immersive track. I then started pondering your comment getting the most out of the system every time, given the amount of $ invested, and I started to see where you were coming from. I have $ invested in storage space, an HTPC computer for playback in addition to what’s invested in the rest of the system. I stopped making 4k back ups back in April, so I don’t have too many discs to catch up on...but It is beneficial for me to somehow find the time to back my 4k blu rays up so I can use JRiver (the interface of which has far more options than AppleTV does).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #6284 of 6894 Old 07-09-2018, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I stopped making 4k back ups back in April, so I don’t have too many discs to catch up on...but It is beneficial for me to somehow find the time to back my 4k blu rays up so I can use JRiver (the interface of which has far more options than AppleTV does).
Matt: A couple of questions.

(1) So you are watching your 4K discs from the Oppo since you are not making "back ups"?

(2) Does JRiver play 4K/UHD discs as well as Atmos?
post #6285 of 6894 Old 07-09-2018, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With Kodi + PC, one can use things like MadVR to essentially act like a Lumagen with custom 3D LUT, gamma calibration, and various tone mapping/processing features to provide probably the best picture I have seen on a projector.

Just want to add that MadVR maxed out is really something to behold. There are some 1080p blu ray files played through MadVR that look significantly better (resolution-wise) than their 4k counterparts played through an Oppo BDP-203.

post #6286 of 6894 Old 07-09-2018, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just want to add that MadVR maxed out is really something to behold. There are some 1080p blu ray files played through MadVR that look significantly better (resolution-wise) than their 4k counterparts played through an Oppo BDP-203.
That is interesting.
post #6287 of 6894 Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Matt: A couple of questions.

(1) So you are watching your 4K discs from the Oppo since you are not making "back ups"?

(2) Does JRiver play 4K/UHD discs as well as Atmos?

Answers:

1) Yes sir—watching 4k discs solely through the Oppo.

2) Yes sir, well I’ve only done it once...been using shiny discs as I haven’t been able to backup recently. They’re also playing around with allowing access to the menus as well (in my old age, I’m starting to like disc extras). I haven’t looked at it in a while—they may have already finalized this.

If I can finish archiving and reach the point where backups only need occur as discs are purchased (I accomplished in the past with a four BD_Rom Drive overclocked super computer backing up four discs at a time), then I’ll be a happy camper. As i went through my catalog in JRiver yesterday (not to mention the copious demo material, painstakingly meta-tagged and categorized), JRiver will once again be at the center of the theater.

post #6288 of 6894 Old 07-09-2018, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is interesting.

Yup—if you think you might revisit an HTPC, let me know and I’ll try to take some A/B screenshots the next time I’m in the theater. But I’m definitely looking forward to your Dune impressions. I”ll always use JRiver for music (it powers my entire household music—leveraging the various Sonos modules through the house), as well as my headphones in the basement gym via JRemote)....but for video, I’m at the “I want plug and play” stage of life right now, but so few things are plug and play in this hobby.

post #6289 of 6894 Old 07-09-2018, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

Tested a few of these media player and the most reliable and easy to use is the Nvidia Sheild w/Kodi 18 beta, plays any format you throw at it, the second best player that I also like is the EGREAT A5/A10 because they support BD/UHD Menu playback.
post #6290 of 6894 Old 07-09-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 470
There's been a couple people, including me, who've not been very impressed with the video quality of the Shield. I don't know if that's improved recently or not, but it wasn't acceptable for my theater. My HTPC using either JRiver or Kodi was superior on the video as was just using the disc. Functionally the Shield worked fine and the video was fine for my family room for kids shows and television.

I'll also be awaiting the reviews of the new Dune. Hoping these will be good enough for most viewing.

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
post #6291 of 6894 Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now we have people saying the Nvidia is great and others say no. Same is true for the Dune: Some say better video than the shiny disc and others say no.

I guess that only opinion that counts is mine. Each environment is different: different viewing device with many variables .... TV, projector, screen light in the room, etc.

I guess I will know in a few weeks assuming my Dune gets here by then!!
post #6292 of 6894 Old 07-10-2018, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s a good idea—what do you use to fill the space to keep the discs upright? i might take this approach because all my discs are sitting in plastic storage bins behind the theater (except for my 4k discs—they’re being stored in the equipment room.
To be clear: our current room doesn't have shelving, all of our discs are in storage bins as well, since I made the decision to jump to the HTPC in the current theater. Our previous home had shelving for all of the movies, and that's where I figured out the process. To answer your question tho: With a space for 5-10 movies (at 0.5" per case), we're only talking 5ish inches or so. I'd usually have some kind of movie-related-stuff in there, or any geek toys. Think: a Rubiks cube we have, original transformers, LEGO sets, Disney swag, Universal Studios Harry Potter stuff, etc.

Quote:
2) Yes sir, well I’ve only done it once...been using shiny discs as I haven’t been able to backup recently. They’re also playing around with allowing access to the menus as well (in my old age, I’m starting to like disc extras). I haven’t looked at it in a while—they may have already finalized this.
What did you use to backup the 4k? I don't have anything capable of doing that?

Quote:
Yup—if you think you might revisit an HTPC, let me know and I’ll try to take some A/B screenshots the next time I’m in the theater. But I’m definitely looking forward to your Dune impressions. I”ll always use JRiver for music (it powers my entire household music—leveraging the various Sonos modules through the house), as well as my headphones in the basement gym via JRemote)....but for video, I’m at the “I want plug and play” stage of life right now, but so few things are plug and play in this hobby.
I'm interested in this as well. The more I try to consolidate the digital content, considering the fact that the volume and sources of it are expanding too quickly, the more I fall behind. I built the NAS to hold everything we have, and it's got plenty of room, but I can't find anything that I like to serve as The One Ring to control it. I'm using Kodi for movies (or technically, not, considering it's only 7.1, 1080), iTunes for music, etc. At this point I think I have ~ 450 movies (up to and including BluRay), 5000+ songs, etc. on the NAS. All of the systems in the house have networked receivers, but I'd kill for something that lets met have a single source.

Quote:
Now we have people saying the Nvidia is great and others say no. Same is true for the Dune: Some say better video than the shiny disc and others say no.

I guess that only opinion that counts is mine. Each environment is different: different viewing device with many variables .... TV, projector, screen light in the room, etc.

I guess I will know in a few weeks assuming my Dune gets here by then!!
Agreed! All that really matters is what works best for you! Looking forward to seeing how you incorporate it into your solution, and what you think about its pros/cons.
post #6293 of 6894 Old 07-10-2018, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm interested in this as well. The more I try to consolidate the digital content, considering the fact that the volume and sources of it are expanding too quickly, the more I fall behind. I built the NAS to hold everything we have, and it's got plenty of room, but I can't find anything that I like to serve as The One Ring to control it. I'm using Kodi for movies (or technically, not, considering it's only 7.1, 1080), iTunes for music, etc. At this point I think I have ~ 450 movies (up to and including BluRay), 5000+ songs, etc. on the NAS. All of the systems in the house have networked receivers, but I'd kill for something that lets met have a single source.

Hey man, anytime you want a video quality demo of Red October full-settings, let me know. It does a really good job of video processing.

If you’re looking for a single-source, then JRiver might be for you because you’d get the functionality you enjoy with Kodi (PLUS Atmos playback [yay!]) and DNLA music streaming separately or simultaneously to anywhere you have a capable device. Add a couple Sonos speakers in the bedrooms/kitchen and you’re literally controlling audio/video throughout your entire house with a video/audio feed using the really slick JRemote app. You’re welcome to swing by and play around with it anytime. the latest JRemote app is so super slick. Scenario: When I’m going to work out, I select “headphones” as my playback device—-if Jaimie and the baby come downstairs, I select the “Cinema” for playback and in 0.5 seconds the audio goes from my headphones to the booming system. They like what we’re listening to and go back upstairs, I add the Kitchen and Living Room Sonos Play 5s upstairs to the group and now the whole house is filled. All pulling from the same NAS that my movie files are stored on.

I can def see this being a benefit to you, since you have a theater build in your near-future which means lots of moving around (workshop to theater), family shuffling in and out of space while you build, depending on potential danger, etc. Keeps everyone happy!

DougUSMC likes this.
post #6294 of 6894 Old 07-11-2018, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

THE BEAST, UNLEASHED: GET-TOGETHER PLANNING

So, when I had my previous low-key G2G, it was for a very specific crowd: local enthusiasts who had helped me with the theater build, either physically or through encouragement.

This summer, we will be having an open G2G. Any and all are invited to experience The Beast, Unleashed!

Working High-Level Agenda:

1) Audio
—Music Demos (Bass, vocal texture, soundstage, ambiance, etc.)
—QSC Qsys Real-Time Mode Cycling

2) Video
—4k Demos
—Immersive Audio Demos
—QSC Qsys Channel Cycling (5.1/7.1/Atmos) in Real-Time
—Lumagen HDR Intensity Mapping

3) Requests from Attendees
—Include any content requests and conditions in G2G PM (referenced below). A sample request would be: Please play the first dogfight scene from Dunkirk, and do an A/B comparison between DTS Neural X and lossless DTS HD-MA 5.1.

Also, I will be implementing Lessons Learned from the first G2G:

1) Beast Mode is the only mode to use. Enthusiasts don’t require *cautious* listening (with the last G2G i started with a more cautious setting and later switched to Beast Mode).

2) Include Music demos. In the last G2G, I failed to demo any of the hundreds of high-resolution audio tracks. Certain system capabilities that I regularly enjoy (i.e. reproduction of soundstage, detail in voice textures, etc.) were not presented to the group.

3) Display more 4K content. Most of the demos I played at the enthusiast G2G were clips from various demo discs, which are all at 1080p. I didn’t get around to popping in a 4k disc (Dunkirk and a few others) until much later in the G2G. I will have a healthy array of what I call “Ultimate Reference” content: scenes that fulfill the promises of both UHD and Immersive Audio. Scenes that combine pristine video and immersive audio.

I’m on a time-table: We have a baby due in mid-to-late September, so I’m thinking sometime in August. If you think you’d be interested in attending, shoot me a PM with G2G in the title and I’ll add you to the list.

Actually, do folks normally start dedicated G2G threads? If that’s the norm, I’ll go ahead and start one.

femi likes this.
post #6295 of 6894 Old 07-11-2018, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Woo hoo!!!

Don't forget:
4) With momma beast being due in Sept, and you having the G2G in Aug, you'd better send her and baby-girl-beast to a half day spa day or something else that will get them out of the house. She's an awesome lady, but you KNOW having all of us in the house can get old quick, even more quickly when you're counting down the days...
post #6296 of 6894 Old 07-11-2018, 05:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5489 Post(s)
Liked: 5075
Over the years I've been to various regional GTGs either in homes or a drinking hole and I've been occasionally surprised by some random dudes that show up. One was a 19 year old living in an apartment with roommates who had never seen a home theater so he decided to show up. You might try making the announcement in your thread for those that have been following your progress and see from the RSVPs if you've reached enough attendees. Unless you want the general public at your doorstep.
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #6297 of 6894 Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Woo hoo!!!

Don't forget:
4) With momma beast being due in Sept, and you having the G2G in Aug, you'd better send her and baby-girl-beast to a half day spa day or something else that will get them out of the house. She's an awesome lady, but you KNOW having all of us in the house can get old quick, even more quickly when you're counting down the days...
You, sir, are a very wise (and considerate) man.
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6298 of 6894 Old 07-11-2018, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Over the years I've been to various regional GTGs either in homes or a drinking hole and I've been occasionally surprised by some random dudes that show up. One was a 19 year old living in an apartment with roommates who had never seen a home theater so he decided to show up. You might try making the announcement in your thread for those that have been following your progress and see from the RSVPs if you've reached enough attendees. Unless you want the general public at your doorstep.

Good idea! I’ll keep it in the thread. Definitely don’t to be the victim of “hey bros, what are we doing today? Nothing? Well, some guy is having a theater party at his crib—let’s crash...maybe he has Xbox!”

Quote:
Woo hoo!!!

Don't forget:

Thou speakest truth, my good sir! I’ll send the Mrs. to the Spa, and out current toddler to my mother in law’s house. That third trimester has hit like a ton of bricks....the poor Mrs. won’t be able to take a house full of theater-bros in August.

post #6299 of 6894 Old 07-11-2018, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Matt: I would normally put in for an invite to your G2G, but I will be unavailable most of August. Secondly, the only way to appreciate all of the sonic abilities in a theater as fine tuned as yours, I would want to be able to sit in the sweet spot for a good part of the demos. With the 472 (or even 15) folks that might show up at your home, that could prove to be problematic.

That said, I am sure all of those that do show up will be mightily impressed. Enjoy!!
post #6300 of 6894 Old 07-11-2018, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Matt: I would normally put in for an invite to your G2G, but I will be unavailable most of August. Secondly, the only way to appreciate all of the sonic abilities in a theater as fine tuned as yours, I would want to be able to sit in the sweet spot for a good part of the demos. With the 472 (or even 15) folks that might show up at your home, that could prove to be problematic.

That said, I am sure all of those that do show up will be mightily impressed. Enjoy!!

Gotcha! Yeah, I know the summer time can be tough to schedule these things because summer time is really family vacation time. If it happens to take place on a free weekend in August, it would still be great to have you. The sweet spot would probably be available....at the last G2G, noooobody sat in the sweet spot. One of my more interesting observations. I don’t know if it was because everyone was so used to sitting in the sweet spots in their own theaters so they wanted a different perspective.....or if the shiny spot on the headrest of the sweet spot chair (left there by a copious application of lotion on my bald head earlier in the day) scared folks away from the seat.

On a separate note, the room is getting tons of use now, which is a huge plus. We are hosting my company’s Vice Presidents & their families next weekend, and our physician along with her husband and kids the following weekend. So many people have gained awareness of the theater build over the last few years, and now that it’s complete—once someone asks “how’s the theater coming along,” they are eager to experience it once I show them pictures and say “it’s finally finished!!”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page