The Beast, Unleashed - Page 213 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2596Likes

post #6361 of 6894 Old 07-26-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
It's the reason I love pro gear in general. They've been doing it for years without all the shiny bells and whistles that people are chasing in the consumer market.

BTW, your "old school" emoji before QSC looks like a dunce cap and boobs I'm assuming that means love (suppose to be a wink).
Yup, definitely. I just made a similar recommendation in someone's build thread about the difference b/w QSC and Marantz gear.

Lol, yup. I definitely tend to type things out and assume that the forum will correct my emoji!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6894 Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

AMPLIFICATION BY CHANNEL
Left, Center, Right: QSC DCA 1622 (3)--1600wpc each in monoblock configurations
Wides: QSC DCA 1644
Side Surrounds (Front Row): QSC DCA 1644
Side Surrounds (Rear Row): QSC DCA 1644
Rear Surrounds: QSC DCA 1644
Atmos: QSC DCA 1644+1222
Subwoofers: Seaton Sound 8000w RackAmp
Bass Shakers: Behringer iNuke 3000DSP
This may be a n00b question but how do you connect your AVR and speakers to DCA 1644? Bare wire or are there specialty connectors for those amps. I couldn't tell from the picture.

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #6363 of 6894 Old 07-27-2018, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
This may be a n00b question but how do you connect your AVR and speakers to DCA 1644? Bare wire or are there specialty connectors for those amps. I couldn't tell from the picture.
Greetings! So audio processor connects to dsp via Phoenix connectors, and the dsp connects to the amps via Phoenix. The speakers are bare wires connected to screw terminals (no spade I could find was small enough).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
nonstopdoc1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6364 of 6894 Old 07-27-2018, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Greetings! So audio processor connects to dsp via Phoenix connectors, and the dsp connects to the amps via Phoenix. The speakers are bare wires connected to screw terminals (no spade I could find was small enough).

Thanks!

What is the need or advantage of external DSP like Q-SYS over just using the AVR -> AMP -> Speakers. Doesn't AVR also does the processing of digital signal and yours (Anthem AVM60) has a pretty good ARC already built in?

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #6365 of 6894 Old 07-27-2018, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Thanks!

What is the need or advantage of external DSP like Q-SYS over just using the AVR -> AMP -> Speakers. Doesn't AVR also does the processing of digital signal and yours (Anthem AVM60) has a pretty good ARC already built in?
No problem! Watch this video I posted a while ago....it answers your question with everything you'd need to know!

post #6366 of 6894 Old 07-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Looks really good!

I saw your video and can see that you're duplicating the side surround signal in the three sides. Have you thought about mixing instead of duplicating?

Example: Your left side surround for row 3 could be a mix of left back and left side surround 2 so a "matrix" channel would be extracted instead. This is very simple matrixing but it might actually make panning of sounds better.

I'm using a BSS Soundweb processor in my theater (basically the same as the QSC's) and have setup my design like this but I started out with only one pair of sides, so have not experimented yet.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #6367 of 6894 Old 07-27-2018, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
Looks really good!

I saw your video and can see that you're duplicating the side surround signal in the three sides. Have you thought about mixing instead of duplicating?

Example: Your left side surround for row 3 could be a mix of left back and left side surround 2 so a "matrix" channel would be extracted instead. This is very simple matrixing but it might actually make panning of sounds better.

I'm using a BSS Soundweb processor in my theater (basically the same as the QSC's) and have setup my design like this but I started out with only one pair of sides, so have not experimented yet.

Thank you! Well, I’ve considered that in the past, but I forget why I haven’t pursued. Either the Q-Sys didn’t have that capability, or it did have the capability but I never bothered to pursue. I’m so happy with the current surround performance, it would take the promise of a significantly upgraded experience to get me to change anything. The front surrounds are also technically “wide,” but to leverage them as wides would require me to lose my rear Atmos channels (a limitation inherent to most AVPs except Trinnov. Even the Datasat RS20i falls within this constraint.

One day, when procuring a Trinnov processor becomes a financially sound decision that would not result in my wife pushing me off the second story foyer, I will leverage them as discrete wides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
DougUSMC and kingwiggi like this.
post #6368 of 6894 Old 07-28-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4452 Post(s)
Liked: 3230
Matt: Having now lived in your "completed" theater for a while, are you still considering adding "balancing subs"?

FWIW, and IMO, I would make that update after buying and installing a Trinnov. The Trinnov will improve the experience for all listeners while I would think balancing subs would primarily improve the experience for the select few (depending on where they are sitting).

I am so taken by the improvement of a high end processor (Datasat or Trinnov) over the traditional ones, that my recommendation would be for anyone interested in and able to afford such a box, make it the highest priority.

I have a friend who purchased my RS20i for his home near me and then he found a super deal on a used Datasat LS10 for a home he has in the mountains with another theater. He has experienced in both those very different rooms (completely different speakers, completely different passive treatment, completely different subwoofers and completely different sizes) the same kind of incredible improvement that I have. Far superior envelopment; and far better integrated bass and far better overall sonics.

You seriously have a "world class theater" both cosmetically and the audio/video system. And while I certainly recognize that the Trinnov you need for your room is very expensive but I am more than willing to bet that once you get a Trinnov installed, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. It really makes that much difference. I have owned fully fleshed out projector-based theaters since 1991. And this is the first time I have ever been in the situation when either listening to music or watching a movie/concert video that I don't think of what I can do to make it better - including adding more speakers.

Post Script: That does not apply to doing things like making access to my sources and media more convenient and "wife operable". And I am hoping my Dune gets me closer.
sdrucker and kingwiggi like this.
post #6369 of 6894 Old 07-28-2018, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Audioguy: Sorry to jump in, but the whole purpose of balancing subs is to improve the bass response for all listeners by manipulating room modes. Not just a selected few.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #6370 of 6894 Old 07-28-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Audioguy: Sorry to jump in, but the whole purpose of balancing subs is to improve the bass response for all listeners by manipulating room modes. Not just a selected few.
I see that differently. Balancing subs may improve bass response for places other than the MLP since I can only assume that is the spot for which it is already optimized.

So then let me state it differently. I will assume that Matt and his bride are, at the moment, the primary users of the theater. They already sit in the "sweet spots" for optimized bass response. So adding balancing subs will do little to nothing for them (I am quite aware the benefits of more subs placed strategically around the room). The Trinnov, on the other hand, will benefit Matt and his wife immediately AND when they give up the best seats for guests.

I don't post these observations lightly. I have almost the identical speaker configuration and brand as Matt as well as the same number of subs and same brand/model. At his MLP, he needs ZERO balancing subs to get all of the even, impactful bass he needs as I know he can reach 125dB across the entire bass spectrum. Having also owned lesser processors and then switching to the highest level was a real eye opener for me as well as for anyone else who has gone down this road.

I am not the audio police. Just someone who has an opinion and has chosen to express it.

Clearly, YMMV!!

Last edited by audioguy; 07-28-2018 at 11:00 AM.
post #6371 of 6894 Old 07-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Looks really good!

Quote:
Thank you! Well, I’ve considered that in the past, but I forget why I haven’t pursued. Either the Q-Sys didn’t have that capability, or it did have the capability but I never bothered to pursue. I’m so happy with the current surround performance, it would take the promise of a significantly upgraded experience to get me to change anything. The front surrounds are also technically “wide,” but to leverage them as wides would require me to lose my rear Atmos channels (a limitation inherent to most AVPs except Trinnov. Even the Datasat RS20i falls within this constraint.

One day, when procuring a Trinnov processor becomes a financially sound decision that would not result in my wife pushing me off the second story foyer, I will leverage them as discrete wides.

Matt

Don't know how many people actually know about this yet since the 110c was only recently released but there is an extra command line switch in Q-SYS designer 7.0.1 onwards that gives you access to a new cinema widget under audio components. In there are a number of new control blocks one of which is an Active Matrix Surround decoder, aka 'Pro Logic' block, you'll want to give this a try instead of simply duplicating those channels as JonasHansen mentioned.

To enable the new Cinema mode, add "/cinema" without quotes to the end of the designer 7.0.1 > shortcut. This works with the core 110f as well as the 'c', no reason to believe that it wont work with your core.

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
Kaleidescape Strato, Zapitti 4K HDR Duo, Xbox One X, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro,
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, BDP-105, Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, QNAP TVS-871
post #6372 of 6894 Old 07-29-2018, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
Matt

Don't know how many people actually know about this yet since the 110c was only recently released but there is an extra command line switch in Q-SYS designer 7.0.1 onwards that gives you access to a new cinema widget under audio components. In there are a number of new control blocks one of which is an Active Matrix Surround decoder, aka 'Pro Logic' block, you'll want to give this a try instead of simply duplicating those channels as JonasHansen mentioned.

To enable the new Cinema mode, add "/cinema" without quotes to the end of the designer 7.0.1 > shortcut. This works with the core 110f as well as the 'c', no reason to believe that it wont work with your core.
You sure you can use it that way, because when I had a look at it it had 4 channels: left, centre, right and surround.

For extracting a third channel from 2 channels you'd just want the LCR of that matrix mixer but there's no way to disable the surround channel, so I assume you'd lose whatever content is sent to that channel.

Of course I'm making the assumption you lose something from the original 2 channels into this surround channel. If it just adds some ambient and/or delayed content it wouldn't matter.

There isn't any real info about what it does online so it's hard to say.
post #6373 of 6894 Old 07-29-2018, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
You sure you can use it that way, because when I had a look at it it had 4 channels: left, centre, right and surround.

For extracting a third channel from 2 channels you'd just want the LCR of that matrix mixer but there's no way to disable the surround channel, so I assume you'd lose whatever content is sent to that channel.

Of course I'm making the assumption you lose something from the original 2 channels into this surround channel. If it just adds some ambient and/or delayed content it wouldn't matter.

Not being one of those guys who experimented with multiple PLII pre-pros to produce matrixed wides and heights I wouldn't say that I'm sure but it appears that it is doing the exact thing.

This is from the PL wikipedia page.

A Pro Logic decoder/processor "unfolds" the sound into the original 4.0 surround—left and right, center, and a single limited frequency-range (7 kHz low-pass filtered[1]) mono rear channel—while systems lacking the decoder play back the audio as standard stereo.

Designer 7.0.1 was the initial minor release with the cinema mode. I haven't tried 7.1.0 yet so there may be some documentation in there as that version looks like a major release.

It wasn't my intention to hijack Matts thread, just passing on some info, so perhaps we should move this to the QSC thread.

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
Kaleidescape Strato, Zapitti 4K HDR Duo, Xbox One X, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro,
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, BDP-105, Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, QNAP TVS-871

Last edited by kingwiggi; 07-29-2018 at 07:03 AM.
post #6374 of 6894 Old 07-29-2018, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Not being one of those guys who experimented with multiple PLII pre-pros to produce matrixed wides and heights I wouldn't say that I'm sure but it appears that it is doing the exact thing.

This is from the PL wikipedia page.

A Pro Logic decoder/processor "unfolds" the sound into the original 4.0 surround—left and right, center, and a single limited frequency-range (7 kHz low-pass filtered[1]) mono rear channel—while systems lacking the decoder play back the audio as standard stereo.

Designer 7.0.1 was the initial minor release with the cinema mode. I haven't tried 7.1.0 yet so there may be some documentation in there as that version looks like a major release.

It wasn't my intention to hijack Matts thread, just passing on some info, so perhaps we should move this to the QSC thread.
No worries. I'll reply in the other thread.
post #6375 of 6894 Old 07-30-2018, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Matt

Hey, I’m actually already running in Cinema Mode (called QSC to figure out how to activate it and they told me exactly what you did regarding the /cinema). I will definitely try this out, as I’d love to hear what improvements a pro-logic style tool for the surrounds could bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I see that differently. Balancing subs may improve bass response for places other than the MLP since I can only assume that is the spot for which it is already optimized.

So then let me state it differently. I will assume that Matt and his bride are, at the moment, the primary users of the theater. They already sit in the "sweet spots" for optimized bass response. So adding balancing subs will do little to nothing for them (I am quite aware the benefits of more subs placed strategically around the room). The Trinnov, on the other hand, will benefit Matt and his wife immediately AND when they give up the best seats for guests.

I don't post these observations lightly. I have almost the identical speaker configuration and brand as Matt as well as the same number of subs and same brand/model. At his MLP, he needs ZERO balancing subs to get all of the even, impactful bass he needs as I know he can reach 125dB across the entire bass spectrum. Having also owned lesser processors and then switching to the highest level was a real eye opener for me as well as for anyone else who has gone down this road.

I am not the audio police. Just someone who has an opinion and has chosen to express it.

Clearly, YMMV!!

Yup, certainly agree. I question the need for the balancing subs at the moment, as bass is strong and even throughout the room. It was one of the first things @DougUSMC noticed the first time he heard the room last year. Even distribution of bass was a big deal for me. I want everyone to be wowed.

BTW—we had our physician and her family over Sat. Night for a movie—we ended up screening a movie called “A Matter of Faith.” It was my wife’s suggestion, and disagreed initially because I selfishly wanted to put on a blockbuster to show off the prowess of the theater, but I thought about it and agreed we should show that movie. I would strongly urge you to check it out—it’s on Netflix. It’s an absolutely superb movie that touches on a topic very near and dear to my heart: Evolution vs. Intelligent Design.

Her family loved it, and she actually shed a tear at one point during the movie. One of my commitments to God was that if He provided the time and means for me to finish the theater, I would share movies that uplift Him in the theater as well.

Note to Mods: this is NOT a religious post—simply discussing a movie genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post

Great point...I’m going to call QSC whenever I have time to find out. I have very little free time, and I want to make sure this is viable before pursuing.

Quote:
Matt: Having now lived in your "completed" theater for a while, are you still considering adding "balancing subs"?

FWIW, and IMO, I would make that update after buying and installing a Trinnov. The Trinnov will improve the experience for all listeners while I would think balancing subs would primarily improve the experience for the select few (depending on where they are sitting).

I am so taken by the improvement of a high end processor (Datasat or Trinnov) over the traditional ones, that my recommendation would be for anyone interested in and able to afford such a box, make it the highest priority.

I have a friend who purchased my RS20i for his home near me and then he found a super deal on a used Datasat LS10 for a home he has in the mountains with another theater. He has experienced in both those very different rooms (completely different speakers, completely different passive treatment, completely different subwoofers and completely different sizes) the same kind of incredible improvement that I have. Far superior envelopment; and far better integrated bass and far better overall sonics.

You seriously have a "world class theater" both cosmetically and the audio/video system. And while I certainly recognize that the Trinnov you need for your room is very expensive but I am more than willing to bet that once you get a Trinnov installed, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. It really makes that much difference. I have owned fully fleshed out projector-based theaters since 1991. And this is the first time I have ever been in the situation when either listening to music or watching a movie/concert video that I don't think of what I can do to make it better - including adding more speakers.

Post Script: That does not apply to doing things like making access to my sources and media more convenient and "wife operable". And I am hoping my Dune gets me closer.
Chuck...the balancing subs. They are an interesting thing. As you mentioned a couple post below (which I actually responded to above due to the wacky order that Tapatalk arranged my multi-quote responses), we get the full bass envelopment at the MLP. The interesting thing is, we get full bass envelopment in every single seat! My audio plan was based on subs only in the corners of the room. Now that they currently reside against the rear wall, I think that changed the original bass modeling that Nyal did where there was a dip of a few DB right around the front row, potentially rendering the balancing subs moot. Judging from my own experience, as well as those who have experienced our theater in full force, no such dip exists! Lol.

The Trinnov is soooooo far from being a consideration right now. While I was building the theater, I also tried to get into real estate investing. Didn’t work out too well, had multiple contracts fall through, and took quite a financial hit paying multiple mortgages for a prolonged period of time.....ended up selling the portfolio at a net loss so nothing was recouped. So, my days of spending tens of thousands on leisure equipment are behind me..at least until mid-to-late 2019 when, based on our revised saving/investment rhythm, I expect to be back where I was before the failed venture. Then, I can start looking at the Trinnov 32 or its latest competitors.

Not all risks work out, but you never know until you try.

rkeeney and DougUSMC like this.
post #6376 of 6894 Old 07-30-2018, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
BTW—we had our physician and her family over Sat. Night for a movie—we ended up screening a movie called “A Matter of Faith.” It was my wife’s suggestion, and disagreed initially because I selfishly wanted to put on a blockbuster to show off the prowess of the theater, but I thought about it and agreed we should show that movie. I would strongly urge you to check it out—it’s on Netflix. It’s an absolutely superb movie that touches on a topic very near and dear to my heart: Evolution vs. Intelligent Design.
Excellent. We will watch it soon. Having a mini-split installed today (finally) in my equipment room.

Quote:
The Trinnov is soooooo far from being a consideration right now. While I was building the theater, I also tried to get into real estate investing. Didn’t work out too well, had multiple contracts fall through, and took quite a financial hit paying multiple mortgages for a prolonged period of time.....ended up selling the portfolio at a net loss so nothing was recouped. So, my days of spending tens of thousands on leisure equipment are behind me..at least until mid-to-late 2019 when, based on our revised saving/investment rhythm, I expect to be back where I was before the failed venture. Then, I can start looking at the Trinnov 32 or its latest competitors.

Not all risks work out, but you never know until you try.
Been down that road --- unfortunately. In the 70's the tax laws were a bit different so investing in rental property was OK even with a small loss in income vs cost. Turns out the "builder" who built my duplexes (if one was good, two were better) was a huge crook /fraud and had no idea what he was doing -- did things like put studs twice as far apart as code allowed - so walls fell down, decks fell off the houses, etc.

Short version: I sold after loosing about $70,000 in cash flow over the 10 years I owned them (I could not sell them each time I tried lowering the price significantly each time). Then I lost about another $130,000 when I was finally able to (basically) give them away. That period almost completely sunk me financially given the kind money I was earning during that time period.

I did recover but it took a REALLY long time.

The Trinnov can wait. No telling what kind of options you might have mid to late 2019!!

Thanks again for the movie recommendation.

Last edited by audioguy; 07-30-2018 at 05:09 AM.
post #6377 of 6894 Old 07-30-2018, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 58
@BrolicBeast I’m watching RPO right now. Thinking of you guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6378 of 6894 Old 07-30-2018, 06:33 PM

Just finished. When the cataclyst goes off, after the movie my wife commented she thought the room was falling apart! Awesome bass!!

post #6379 of 6894 Old 07-31-2018, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
@BrolicBeast I’m watching RPO right now. Thinking of you guys

Quote:
Just finished. When the cataclyst goes off, after the movie my wife commented she thought the room was falling apart! Awesome bass!!

Sighhhh.....RPO...we started watching the 3D version on Sunday, but had to stop a few minutes in [lonnngggg story].

IMAGINE...IMAGINE THE HORROR OF BEING JUST MINUTES INTO RPO—RIGHT AFTER THE FIRST INTRODUCTION TO OASIS, IN PURE BEAUTIFUL 3D.....AND THEN HAVING TO STOP.

I nearly cried. Well, not really....but virtually. Lol.

I hope to try to catch it again this weekend. But goodness, the 3D that I did see was absolutely incredible....it reminded me why I love 3D so much. I also have the 4k version with the Atmos track, but I’m watching the 3D version first.

Quote:
Excellent. We will watch it soon. Having a mini-split installed today (finally) in my equipment room.

Been down that road --- unfortunately. In the 70's the tax laws were a bit different so investing in rental property was OK even with a small loss in income vs cost. Turns out the "builder" who built my duplexes (if one was good, two were better) was a huge crook /fraud and had no idea what he was doing -- did things like put studs twice as far apart as code allowed - so walls fell down, decks fell off the houses, etc.

Short version: I sold after loosing about $70,000 in cash flow over the 10 years I owned them (I could not sell them each time I tried lowering the price significantly each time). Then I lost about another $130,000 when I was finally able to (basically) give them away. That period almost completely sunk me financially given the kind money I was earning during that time period.

I did recover but it took a REALLY long time.

The Trinnov can wait. No telling what kind of options you might have mid to late 2019!!

Thanks again for the movie recommendation.

Leaping lizards—I thought my situation was bad. Yours sounds like a nightmare. Glad you recovered, man—these things ruin some folks. I know I’ll never dabble in real estate investing again until I’ve reached a point in my life where I invent an actual Faster Than Light (FTL) drive. Then, cash would flow like Niagra Falls and real estate would, at that point, be a hobby.

A mini-split for equipment!?!? That’s a huge investment man....but an understandable one. If I recall, there’s a window in your equipment room? If that’s the case, the greenhouse effect would make that area quite hot.

mercracing likes this.
post #6380 of 6894 Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 AM

Hopefully you can get back to it soon buddy. I was reminded how much I love that movie.

BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6381 of 6894 Old 07-31-2018, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully you can get back to it soon buddy. I was reminded how much I love that movie.

I hope so too man! But, on the bright side.....

My wife has not yet experienced 3D on the massive Beast screen...

So once the intro scene transitioned into the first Oasis scene, she released a large gasp, then giggled and turned to me and gave me a huuuuge, super-tight hug while saying in my ear “this is amazing.” She was very genuinely excited at having this type of experience in our home.

She’s used to 4k and Atmos by now, but 3D blew her away. I loved the look on her face. She was grinning from the moment she hugged me, until the moment we had to stop watching.

swarm87, femi, simple man and 1 others like this.
post #6382 of 6894 Old 07-31-2018, 09:39 AM

congrats buddy. The big wife smile is one of the things that makes it all worth it.

BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6383 of 6894 Old 08-01-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sighhhh.....RPO...we started watching the 3D version on Sunday, but had to stop a few minutes in [lonnngggg story].
This last week we watched RPO (largely due to you guys talking about it here) and Pacific Rim 2.

Let's just say that RPO is definitely worth going back to, PR2, not so much...
BrolicBeast and mercracing like this.
post #6384 of 6894 Old 08-04-2018, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

G2G is going down at the end of this month. Details tomorrow!

Cutler likes this.
post #6385 of 6894 Old 08-06-2018, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Beast, Unleashed

THIS G2G IS ON!!!!

Date: August 26, 2018

Location: “The Beast, Unleashed” in the DC/Maryland/VA Metro Area

Focal Points: Immersive Audio, Bass, 3D technology, Advanced EQ using QSC Qsys (I’ve created a “G2G” file so attendees can play around with Qsys EQ in the room in real-time)

Open to: Public Almost everyone. (Exclusion list: Martians, Sociopaths, and people who like Jar Jar Binks)

If you’re interested in attending, please shoot me a PM and I’ll add you to the list. Oh I’ve got quite the demo list in mind. Ready Player One, Fury, A Quiet Place, Dunkirk....oh the list goes on.
mikela, impreza276 and mercracing like this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 08-06-2018 at 04:13 AM.
post #6386 of 6894 Old 08-06-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

PM incoming! Don't forget that wall o' water from Interstellar, I want to see everyone lose their lunch when the room is in Beast Mode!

Quote:
Open to: Public Almost everyone. (Exclusion list: Martians, Sociopaths, and people who like Jar Jar Binks)
I read this as "Exclusion List: Marines", and my first thought was "smart move".
dgage, BrolicBeast and TMcG like this.
post #6387 of 6894 Old 08-06-2018, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
PM incoming! Don't forget that wall o' water from Interstellar, I want to see everyone lose their lunch when the room is in Beast Mode!

I read this as "Exclusion List: Marines", and my first thought was "smart move".

Oh yessss, that interstellar wall of water is GREAT in Beast Mode!!! Definitely adding that to the lineup! :-)

Lol, nope—I’d never exclude a Marine from anything. Insurance premiums automatically decrease by 80% and property value increases two-fold when you guys walk through a door. Everything is automatically safer. Lolol. :-)

simple man and DougUSMC like this.
post #6388 of 6894 Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK—this is exciting. We’re up to 11 confirmed and quite a few maybes for the G2G.

Will likely be starting an attendee list somewhere on the first page of this thread, or in the Area HT Meets forum for my area.

post #6389 of 6894 Old 08-07-2018, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Beast, Unleashed

Here is the G2G guest list so far. I’m not capping how many can come—if attendee volume surpasses standing-room availability, then we can rotate groups. I doubt that will be necessary though.

ATTENDEE LIST:

CONFIRMED AVS MEMBERS: 9 @NYGIANTSFAN23 @DougUSMC @DMark1 @impreza276 @NWCgrad @Cutler @wkingincharge @MIkeDuke @kingwiggi

CONFIRMED NON-AVS MEMBERS: 4
Jay (Aspiring Theater Owner)
Tim (Aspiring Theater Owner)
Kayvil (Aspiring Theater Owner)
Victor (Aspiring Theater Owner)

MAYBES: 7

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 08-08-2018 at 03:09 AM.
post #6390 of 6894 Old 08-07-2018, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Hey Matt. Please check your PM. I have some extra questions and info.
Thanks
Mike

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 08-07-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr