The Beast, Unleashed - Page 219 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2596Likes

post #6541 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 06:52 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Thanks! Washed out colors? Sounds like your color space settings are off. Try changing to BT2020 with the largest bit your system can handle (8-bit, 12-bit, etc.).I don't think so.... but as hard as it is for me to admit this, I dont know for sure.
It was sort of a dumb question on my part. Who buy and rips 4k content for display on their 4k system and then compresses the content to save media server space. But I was posting from the beach in Dewey after a margarita so ...

Jeff
DougUSMC likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked: 3229
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Transcoding = Compression, basically, in this context. I was wondering why the content was washed out. But a 1:1 rip indicates your output file is bit for bit identical to the source. Must be some other reason for being washed out. Display, would be my guess.
Or playback hardware/software. I think Mike has a bunch tied up in his current server hardware/software and isn't inclined to look elsewhere. But as the previous poster said, something like the new Dune ($199) would get him there very inexpensively and could use his existing ripped collection.
pepar likes this.
post #6543 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was posting from the beach in Dewey after a margarita so ...

Jeff
Based upon your Avatar, when aren't you posting on the beach ..... after a margarita?
BrolicBeast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6544 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Why don't get a media player that already support 4k media playback?
Because I thought it would. When I listed the components my machine was going to have, a few people said that it was a
nice machine and should be good to go for 4k. And I wouldn't know what to get or how to connect it so I can watch
my ripped movies through anything new.

I guess I will try to figure out the video card 2020 stuff. Even though I don't know where to start. We can end my
issue here Matt. I don't want to take up your thread with my problems

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #6545 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Transcoding = Compression, basically, in this context. I was wondering why the content was washed out. But a 1:1 rip indicates your output file is bit for bit identical to the source. Must be some other reason for being washed out. Display, would be my guess.
Thanks for the explanation. I believe I have had my TV calibrated d to Rec 2020 standard.

My System
post #6546 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Or playback hardware/software. I think Mike has a bunch tied up in his current server hardware/software and isn't inclined to look elsewhere. But as the previous poster said, something like the new Dune ($199) would get him there very inexpensively and could use his existing ripped collection.
Hey Chuck. I don't know how the Dune works. That can't rip right? So how would I connect something like that to my system.
OK. That's it. No more mucking up Matt's thread with my problems.

My System
post #6547 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Hey Chuck. I don't know how the Dune works. That can't rip right? So how would I connect something like that to my system.
OK. That's it. No more mucking up Matt's thread with my problems.
You would continue to rip with MKV if that is what you are uinsg or whatever other ripper you may be using. The Dune is wired via ethernet to your network as is your NAS. That is how they communicate.
post #6548 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 07:26 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Based upon your Avatar, when aren't you posting on the beach ..... after a margarita?
Good point. Most of the year margaritas are an aspirational transportation device.

My feet, as shown in my avatar, are on the beach in Cancun, en el estado Mexicano de Quintana Roo. The marg on the beach in Dewey is to convince my head that it and my body are in Cancun as well.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #6549 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You already lost me. I am not using ethernet, or a network. I am using two Raid drives connected via USB to my server. I should say that 4k played from my OPPO to my TV looks incredible so it's not the TV. I think the guy who set up my server may be doing something similar to what you described but he felt doing that with me would me to complex. He is probably right.
If that is the only way to do it then I guess I won't be doing it.

My System
post #6550 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
You already lost me. I am not using ethernet, or a network. I am using two Raid drives connected via USB to my server. I should say that 4k played from my OPPO to my TV looks incredible so it's not the TV. I think the guy who set up my server may be doing something similar to what you described but he felt doing that with me would me to complex. He is probably right.
If that is the only way to do it then I guess I won't be doing it.
One of the first things I was taught when I started in IT: Start with the physical layer.

Have you considered the "stupid things": Different HDMI cable from the Oppo vs. the server? Different HDMI ports on the processor/receiver? Quality of the video card on the server? Settings on the video card? Those would be my first things.
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6551 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can try and figure out how to get to the settings of the video card. As I said, regular BR rips look awesome from the server and I am pretty sure we got a HDMI cable that is can handle the higher bit rate for 4k. And I can't change cables on my own, let alone see what brand they are. I think the HDMI cable to the server is a cable I bought from Best Buy, but I don't remember the brand. I agree that the card may be the issue. the card itself has 2GB of ram not 4. Who knows. I will try and talk to my guy and see what he thinks.
But thanks for the reply Doug.
DougUSMC likes this.

My System
post #6552 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
One of the first things I was taught when I started in IT: Start with the physical layer.

Have you considered the "stupid things": Different HDMI cable from the Oppo vs. the server? Different HDMI ports on the processor/receiver? Quality of the video card on the server? Settings on the video card? Those would be my first things.
Yup! 80% of the time, this solves issues within minutes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #6553 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup! 80% of the time, this solves issues within minutes.

I really don't want to sound like a broken record, but I can't physically work on my system myself. I don't even know if I know
what to look for when I find the video card .

My System
post #6554 of 6894 Old 08-20-2018, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Assembling excellence! :-) it's coming together nicely.

pepar, DigiWega, MIkeDuke and 1 others like this.
post #6555 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Assembling excellence! :-) it's coming together nicely.
As if I weren't already excited enough about this weekend's G2G?!?!?

As I posted in the HD BD ripping thread: I just ordered a couple of new drives. I also ordered a new micro PC, to replace the HTPC in the movie room, now that Shield is doing movie duty and I just need something to keep the MP app running. The plan is to take the guts out of the HTPC (which is a LITTLE overbuilt - i7, 32gig ram, 256g SSD, 1080Ti), and replace the guts of my main gaming/home PC, and add the new drives to it.

Why do you care: If I can get that done soon enough, I'll hopefully be bringing another HDD down with me with the 20ish 4k movies I have in mkv this Sat...
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6556 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As if I weren't already excited enough about this weekend's G2G?!?!?

As I posted in the HD BD ripping thread: I just ordered a couple of new drives. I also ordered a new micro PC, to replace the HTPC in the movie room, now that Shield is doing movie duty and I just need something to keep the MP app running. The plan is to take the guts out of the HTPC (which is a LITTLE overbuilt - i7, 32gig ram, 256g SSD, 1080Ti), and replace the guts of my main gaming/home PC, and add the new drives to it.

Why do you care: If I can get that done soon enough, I'll hopefully be bringing another HDD down with me with the 20ish 4k movies I have in mkv this Sat...

Nice Nice! Now something interesting I’d like to ask you to try with your overbuilt HTPC before you replace the parts. Do you have a copy of Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk on 4k? If so...are you able to play it in full 4k60 12-bit BT.2020 through Plex? I ask because when I play it via Plex on the shield, I get an error message saying my Plex server is not powerful enough to process the video.....HOWEVER, when I access the Plex server through my Oppo, it plays flawlessly...

Keep in mind Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk is a VERY tough 4k blu ray—a torture test for video chains across the globe. My Oppo UDP-203 couldn’t play it properly for a few months until a firmware update was released. The 120fps forces the video chain to really get to work.

But the result—the hands down best picture quality I’ve ever seen on a screen, ever.

I’m interested if the Oppo is doing what my computer isn’t (or can’t?), which would surprise me since my computer is a fairly capable i7-equipped gaming laptop.

Now here’s the question....

You have some empty space at the bottom of your equipment rack.....what are ya gonna fill it with?? Heh heh MOAR GEAR!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #6557 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice Nice! Now something interesting I’d like to ask you to try with your overbuilt HTPC before you replace the parts. Do you have a copy of Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk on 4k? If so...are you able to play it in full 4k60 12-bit BT.2020 through Plex? I ask because when I play it via Plex on the shield, I get an error message saying my Plex server is not powerful enough to process the video.....HOWEVER, when I access the Plex server through my Oppo, it plays flawlessly...

Keep in mind Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk is a VERY tough 4k blu ray—a torture test for video chains across the globe. My Oppo UDP-203 couldn’t play it properly for a few months until a firmware update was released. The 120fps forces the video chain to really get to work.

But the result—the hands down best picture quality I’ve ever seen on a screen, ever.

I’m interested if the Oppo is doing what my computer isn’t (or can’t?), which would surprise me since my computer is a fairly capable i7-equipped gaming laptop.
I don't have it, sorry. I don't think I understand what you're saying? Do you mean that the disc is in your laptop, streamed real time to the shield, and presenting from there to the processor, and out your A/V chain that way? I currently rip them to the hard drive on the PC in my office, then move them to the NAS, which my shield is mapped to, and play from Plex that way. Prior to this weekend it was from the NAS, to the HTPC, and playing thru Kodi.

IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the laptop's speed binding you up. Software processing on a PC will never keep up to hardware on something like an Oppo. If you want, I can swipe your disc and try after this weekend? I'll still have the old guts, and can reasonably replicate the old PC.

Quote:
Now here’s the question....

You have some empty space at the bottom of your equipment rack.....what are ya gonna fill it with?? Heh heh MOAR GEAR!!!
Lol, I was already thinking that. Since the HTPC is so beefy, I have a BIG CPU fan, which required a BIG case (lying sideways it's probably about 4U). When I remove that, and replace it with something < 1U, I'm already thinking I can add my Marantz 7055 back into the rack, which gives me 5 more channels. I *might* be considering a couple of different plans right now:
1) Adding 2 more wides + 2 more surrounds, so the front row matches the back
2) Maybe reconfigure my 4 atmos (all for back row, 2 behind, 2 in front). I was thinking about leaving 4 for the back row, adding 2 more for the front row, and 2 surrounds for the front row

Of course, that's all assuming the boss has no problem w/me adding ~ $600 worth of speakers (4x Volt 6) that we'll leave behind if/when we sell.
post #6558 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@DougUSMC naw, both the Shield and Oppo are accessing the same Billy Lynn file from the NAS through the Plex server. In the Oppo, I go to network and select Plex Server and drill down into the folder structure until I find Billy Lynn. Plays flawlessly when I do this (but it’s still using the Plex server unless accessing “Plex Server” in the Oppo’s Network menu is a hollow reference now actually connected to the Plex server on the computer, and is just placed there in the Oppo manu for folder navigation purposes.

BTW, I need to add you as a friend on Plex so you can access my library—it’s one of the coolest features. I have a Gig connection, so I could access your 4k files straight from your Plex server and play them bit for bit. I’ve done it with another buddy of mine who’s been using Plex for eons.

post #6559 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@DougUSMC naw, both the Shield and Oppo are accessing the same Billy Lynn file from the NAS through the Plex server. In the Oppo, I go to network and select Plex Server and drill down into the folder structure until I find Billy Lynn. Plays flawlessly when I do this (but it’s still using the Plex server unless accessing “Plex Server” in the Oppo’s Network menu is a hollow reference now actually connected to the Plex server on the computer, and is just placed there in the Oppo manu for folder navigation purposes.

BTW, I need to add you as a friend on Plex so you can access my library—it’s one of the coolest features. I have a Gig connection, so I could access your 4k files straight from your Plex server and play them bit for bit. I’ve done it with another buddy of mine who’s been using Plex for eons.
Ah, ok, thanks. I guess I don't understand why you wanted me to try that before I rebuilt my ripping PC then? I'd still argue that the Plex isn't going to be as efficient as the Oppo, b/c it's multi purpose, while the Oppo is really dedicated to high-end A/V processing.

Heck yeah, great idea! I think we're "only" 100 meg upload, but it'll be interesting to see how it works.
post #6560 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah, ok, thanks. I guess I don't understand why you wanted me to try that before I rebuilt my ripping PC then? I'd still argue that the Plex isn't going to be as efficient as the Oppo, b/c it's multi purpose, while the Oppo is really dedicated to high-end A/V processing.

Heck yeah, great idea! I think we're "only" 100 meg upload, but it'll be interesting to see how it works.
Wanted to try it to see if the hang up was based on computer specs. If your HTPC as a plex server operating as middle man between NAS and Shield can handle it, then the finger gets pointed at my shield (or the settings therein).

Btw, have you heard about the new Samsung that's expected to dethrone the Oppo 203?

post #6561 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wanted to try it to see if the hang up was based on computer specs. If your HTPC as a plex server operating as middle man between NAS and Shield can handle it, then the finger gets pointed at my shield (or the settings therein).

Btw, have you heard about the new Samsung that's expected to dethrone the Oppo 203?
Ah, ok. I don't currently use the PC for Plex. If I borrow the disc I could do that, but currently I'm running Plex on the NAS, and presenting thru the Shield. I could rip the disc, put it on my NAS, and play it thru the Shield?

No, I didn't know that? Then again, if I can really get my 4k discs ripped, on the NAS, and thru the Shield, I could potentially pull both the HTPC *and* the Oppo from my rack...
post #6562 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah, ok. I don't currently use the PC for Plex. If I borrow the disc I could do that, but currently I'm running Plex on the NAS, and presenting thru the Shield. I could rip the disc, put it on my NAS, and play it thru the Shield?

No, I didn't know that? Then again, if I can really get my 4k discs ripped, on the NAS, and thru the Shield, I could potentially pull both the HTPC *and* the Oppo from my rack...
This might be my issue....my plex server runs on the laptop and only files are on the WD My Cloud NAS. I hope I don't need to redo my categories if I run it on the NAS. I'll find out tonight!

post #6563 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
This might be my issue....my plex server runs on the laptop and only files are on the WD My Cloud NAS. I hope I don't need to redo my categories if I run it on the NAS. I'll find out tonight!

Matt, just make sure you are not transcoding anything before sending it to the shield. The shield is powerful enough to handle it.
post #6564 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That’s the DREAM. You know how I have a hinged wall panel providing access to the equipment room? The plan has always ALWAYS been to replace that hinged panel with a complete non-hinged panel, requiring the rare removal of the full panel to access the equipment room (a camera would go in there so I can monitor things visibly and audible). I’ve been waiting for the capability to go discless with 4k before implementing the above plan, and it looks like that day has finally arrived. Not only might I sell the Oppo 203 (for a gazillion dollars), but I’ll probably sell the Xbox One and PS4 as I haven’t used either of them in a year and a half, and both play discs—the former playing 4k discs. Later this year, after newborn zombie mode eases up a bit, I’m going to go ahead and build that full panel!

post #6565 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
Matt, just make sure you are not transcoding anything before sending it to the shield. The shield is powerful enough to handle it.

Thanks! How can I check that? I could probably find the option in a minute or two, but I’m at work so figured I’d ask how so I can dive right in when I get home.

post #6566 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
That’s the DREAM. You know how I have a hinged wall panel providing access to the equipment room? The plan has always ALWAYS been to replace that hinged panel with a complete non-hinged panel, requiring the rare removal of the full panel to access the equipment room (a camera would go in there so I can monitor things visibly and audible). I’ve been waiting for the capability to go discless with 4k before implementing the above plan, and it looks like that day has finally arrived. Not only might I sell the Oppo 203 (for a gazillion dollars), but I’ll probably sell the Xbox One and PS4 as I haven’t used either of them in a year and a half, and both play discs—the former playing 4k discs. Later this year, after newborn zombie mode eases up a bit, I’m going to go ahead and build that full panel!

You may want to hold up on that idea of a diskless future for a bit Matt as discs are coming out with AACS 2.1 which cannot be backed up like those with version 2.0. Aside from the legal issues of backing up what you already own, the industry seems hell bent on playing cat and mouse with AACS instead of providing a viable alternative to discs.
post #6567 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks! How can I check that? I could probably find the option in a minute or two, but I’m at work so figured I’d ask how so I can dive right in when I get home.

Set Plex in direct play original quality. Make sure the file is in H.265 or H.264 format. Make sure your data bit rate matches that of the video being passed through.
post #6568 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You may want to hold up on that idea of a diskless future for a bit Matt as discs are coming out with AACS 2.1 which cannot be backed up like those with version 2.0. Aside from the legal issues of backing up what you already own, the industry seems hell bent on playing cat and mouse with AACS instead of providing a viable alternative to discs.

Wait WHAT? Hmmmmmm......this is actually....heartbreaking.

Edit: Fury and The Patriot so far. Sony seems to like it. Hoping it stays with just those two titles for a long time.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 08-21-2018 at 11:26 AM.
post #6569 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 527
post #6570 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know which, but I think one of us is overcomplicating "categories". I just have multiple folders on my NAS "pictures, movies, demo, TV_Shows, music, music_videos, etc". Various things around the house map drives, per usage. For example, my PC has everything mapped, but the Shield only has "movies, demo, TV_shows, music" right now. I rip a movie on my PC, then move it over to the "movies" directory on the NAS. I downloaded those Atmos demos from the site you found, and put them in demo. I rip TV_shows, put them... When I set up the Shield, I have one "library" for each "folder" on my NAS. When pull up the Shield on the PJ, it just shows me a library per folder, and I go to what I'm looking to do.

Is there another level to "categories" than I'm thinking?

Quote:
Yeah, exactly! As it stands today, I usually have 2-3 4k discs in the rack, waiting to be watched. I have to power things up, get the disc in the Oppo, take the remote for that and anything else I'm doing...
The hope for the 2.0 theater is to have a repeater under the screen, and never have to go back to the rack again. It's almost like a Kscape, w/o the $30k.

Quote:
I only understand what this means in the loosest sense, can you please dumb it down? I read this as "sorry if you just figured out how to rip 4k, but the manufacturers are changing encoding versions and your solution won't work soon", is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page