The Beast, Unleashed - Page 220 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2596Likes

post #6571 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
I only understand what this means in the loosest sense, can you please dumb it down? I read this as "sorry if you just figured out how to rip 4k, but the manufacturers are changing encoding versions and your solution won't work soon", is that correct?
Your understanding is correct, as of a few weeks ago. Check the link I shared a few minutes ago - the hackers have found a way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 309
This is getting crazy. I mean, soon it won't be worth the effort to try and rip 4k disks. I already have two programs to try and rip. Getting and learning a 3rd is not that appealing to me. And what if they come out with something else soon after. I may have to stick with disks for 4k. I guess my only hope is that the one program that I have now that can rip 4k disks gets upgraded to do be able to do this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #6573 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Your understanding is correct, as of a few weeks ago. Check the link I shared a few minutes ago - the hackers have found a way.
Thanks, I'll check out the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
This is getting crazy. I mean, soon it won't be worth the effort to try and rip 4k disks. I already have two programs to try and rip. Getting and learning a 3rd is not that appealing to me. And what if they come out with something else soon after. I may have to stick with disks for 4k. I guess my only hope is that the one program that I have now that can rip 4k disks gets upgraded to do be able to do this.
Don't say that, I just bought two drives! #SMDH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6574 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got you Doug I got you. I am just can't do as much as many of you other people can do that's all.

My System
post #6575 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Aarrgghh, the Russians. In between spearphishing, no doubt. Somebody with a white hat better comb the code for backdoors.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

Last edited by pepar; 08-21-2018 at 02:43 PM.
post #6576 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I got you Doug I got you. I am just can't do as much as many of you other people can do that's all.
I dig it, we all have different capabilities. I have to admit tho, I'm trying not to pry, while not really being sure of your own personal situation.
MIkeDuke likes this.
post #6577 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I dig it, we all have different capabilities. I have to admit tho, I'm trying not to pry, while not really being sure of your own personal situation.
look for a PM later.

My System
post #6578 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 2078
I sometimes envy those who just learned about HD last year, and think the term "4k" is simply missing the "0" and "1" before the K.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
kingwiggi likes this.
post #6579 of 6894 Old 08-21-2018, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Aarrgghh, the Russians. In between spearphishing, no doubt. Somebody with a white hat better comb the code for backdoors.
Wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

post #6580 of 6894 Old 08-22-2018, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I don't know which, but I think one of us is overcomplicating "categories". I just have multiple folders on my NAS "pictures, movies, demo, TV_Shows, music, music_videos, etc". Various things around the house map drives, per usage. For example, my PC has everything mapped, but the Shield only has "movies, demo, TV_shows, music" right now. I rip a movie on my PC, then move it over to the "movies" directory on the NAS. I downloaded those Atmos demos from the site you found, and put them in demo. I rip TV_shows, put them... When I set up the Shield, I have one "library" for each "folder" on my NAS. When pull up the Shield on the PJ, it just shows me a library per folder, and I go to what I'm looking to do.

Is there another level to "categories" than I'm thinking?

I think you and I are at the same but different levels. Your description is basically how I rip and use my stuff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6581 of 6894 Old 08-22-2018, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 2086
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
I hear someone mention ripping a 4K disk of the tracks/demo clips being auditioned?!?!

What's it going to take to hook a brotha up!
post #6582 of 6894 Old 08-22-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
I think you and I are at the same but different levels. Your description is basically how I rip and use my stuff too.
Yeah, it used to be about absently changing discs on the PC, while doing other things. Lately I've been noticing that the increasing size of the discs is making it take longer and longer, so I've been looking to upgrade the ~4 y/o PC. I just spent a bunch on the HTPC tho, to get everything up to speed for an i9 processor, and wasn't looking forward to doing it again. That's why I was so excited by Matt's Shield experiment and the cool stuff they're doing in the UHD ripping thread. Now there's a new plan...

As of last week, I had a ~4 y/o PC upstairs in my office, that I rip everything on, and send it down to the NAS. In the HT I have the HTPC which is a pretty monster Windows 10 PC, with drives mapped to the NAS. From it I ran my MoviePoster app TV and Kodi for presenting movies on the NAS, and occasionally iTunes for music. I also kept an Oppo in the rack for the 4k stuff since I couldn't rip it, an Apple TV for iTunes and legacy iTunes movies, and a FiOS cable box.

The new plan which is currently in progress is the Shield (already in place) mapped to the NAS, running Plex. It's already doing double duty, replacing Kodi and iTunes from the HTPC, as well as YouTube. I also upgraded the Apple TV to 4k, since sometimes you just want to rent the movie. I bought a miniPC to take over the MoviePoster app duties, and I'm pulling the HTPC from the rack. I'll take everything out of the HTPC and move all the parts upstairs into my current PC, upgrading it to 2066 and i9 processor compliant, and add the 2 new drives that I just bought so I can start ripping 4k movies. I originally ordered 2 so I wouldn't have to worry about "the one" I ordered not working, but now I'm actually starting to hope that I can rip two at the same time. With any luck I can clear out the 4-5U HTPC from the rack, potentially the Oppo, and put an amp or two back in. That would not only get me back to discless (where I was before UHD came out), but also allow me to fit another amp in the rack and potentially add more speakers to the room.
post #6583 of 6894 Old 08-22-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it used to be about absently changing discs on the PC, while doing other things. Lately I've been noticing that the increasing size of the discs is making it take longer and longer, so I've been looking to upgrade the ~4 y/o PC. I just spent a bunch on the HTPC tho, to get everything up to speed for an i9 processor, and wasn't looking forward to doing it again. That's why I was so excited by Matt's Shield experiment and the cool stuff they're doing in the UHD ripping thread. Now there's a new plan...

As of last week, I had a ~4 y/o PC upstairs in my office, that I rip everything on, and send it down to the NAS. In the HT I have the HTPC which is a pretty monster Windows 10 PC, with drives mapped to the NAS. From it I ran my MoviePoster app TV and Kodi for presenting movies on the NAS, and occasionally iTunes for music. I also kept an Oppo in the rack for the 4k stuff since I couldn't rip it, an Apple TV for iTunes and legacy iTunes movies, and a FiOS cable box.

The new plan which is currently in progress is the Shield (already in place) mapped to the NAS, running Plex. It's already doing double duty, replacing Kodi and iTunes from the HTPC, as well as YouTube. I also upgraded the Apple TV to 4k, since sometimes you just want to rent the movie. I bought a miniPC to take over the MoviePoster app duties, and I'm pulling the HTPC from the rack. I'll take everything out of the HTPC and move all the parts upstairs into my current PC, upgrading it to 2066 and i9 processor compliant, and add the 2 new drives that I just bought so I can start ripping 4k movies. I originally ordered 2 so I wouldn't have to worry about "the one" I ordered not working, but now I'm actually starting to hope that I can rip two at the same time. With any luck I can clear out the 4-5U HTPC from the rack, potentially the Oppo, and put an amp or two back in. That would not only get me back to discless (where I was before UHD came out), but also allow me to fit another amp in the rack and potentially add more speakers to the room.

That’s where you get to be a couple levels above me. Currently I have an old laptop on a pull out shelf in the rack and I’ll hook that to an external drive I can burn Blu-ray from. Burn to laptop, move folder to the NAS, delete folder from laptop. I recently got an older desktop(newer then the laptop) and upgraded the video card so I could watch Blu-ray through Plex on the desktop. In my eventual perfect world I will get an internal drive for the desktop and can take the laptop out of the rack. Desktop is used for Plex playback, internet browsing, and streaming shows from the internet. Physical discs are watched on a regular Blu-ray player. Other streaming is done through Netflix and Prime using either the Blu-ray players app or the apps on the Xbox 360. No 4K or Atmos yet so I don’t need to be too fancy.

post #6584 of 6894 Old 08-22-2018, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@DougUSMC you can def rip 2 simultaneously...I used to rip 4 blu rays simultaneousl. I just ran 4 instances of makemkv arranged in quadrants onscreen. As long as your processor is up to the task (i9 clearly is), then you're good to go if you run 2 instances of makemkv!

Also, we are the same on the folders...one folder per library. I just didnt want to create new libraries.

post #6585 of 6894 Old 08-22-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
@DougUSMC you can def rip 2 simultaneously...I used to rip 4 blu rays simultaneousl. I just ran 4 instances of makemkv arranged in quadrants onscreen. As long as your processor is up to the task (i9 clearly is), then you're good to go if you run 2 instances of makemkv!
Very cool, I was more concerned that MakeMKV wouldn't let me run 2 instances on the same machine. I think I have about 20x 4ks that I want to get ripped before your shindig, and there's no way I make it if I have to do it serially...

Quote:
Also, we are the same on the folders...one folder per library. I just didnt want to create new libraries.
I'm a simple-OCD kinda' guy. I just organize it in a way that makes sense, and leave it until I see a reason otherwise. I will say tho - the "Demos" folder is new, since I didn't like the way they showed up under the movie folder in Plex. It think it's much cleaner this way.
post #6586 of 6894 Old 08-22-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Doug, check your PM.

My System
post #6587 of 6894 Old 08-22-2018, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@mercracing THE FOAM STRIPS WORKED!!!! THANK YOU!

mercracing likes this.
post #6588 of 6894 Old 08-22-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
@mercracing THE FOAM STRIPS WORKED!!!! THANK YOU!

Glad it worked for you buddy!

BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6589 of 6894 Old 08-24-2018, 05:17 AM

Is it Sunday yet?

pepar, BrolicBeast and DougUSMC like this.
post #6590 of 6894 Old 08-24-2018, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
is it sunday yet?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
i wish!!!!! It's going to be a blast!!!!!
post #6591 of 6894 Old 08-25-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just finished figuring out how to make 4k backups using MakeMKV.

As is always my way, I think I did it the hardest, most convoluted way possible. The good news is, that generally helps me to learn a lot about how to get 'r done, and I've whipped through another in almost 1/2 the time.

I have what I think is a fool-proof set of steps for helping others - Any desire for a quick run-through of the steps @ the G2G tomorrow?
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6592 of 6894 Old 08-25-2018, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

G2G day will be interesting.

Wife is currently in labor. I'm typing this from a hospital's Labor & Delivery ward.

G2G is not cancelled--attendees, please check email for details. It will be happening later in the day.

Need sleep.

Bye.

audioguy, dgage and DougUSMC like this.
post #6593 of 6894 Old 08-26-2018, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Good luck Matt & Wifey

Just do what you gotta do.

Quote:
G2G day will be interesting.

Wife is currently in labor. I'm typing this from a hospital's Labor & Delivery ward.

G2G is not cancelled--attendees, please check email for details. It will be happening later in the day.

Need sleep.

Bye.

BrolicBeast likes this.

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
Kaleidescape Strato, Zapitti 4K HDR Duo, Xbox One X, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro,
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, BDP-105, Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, QNAP TVS-871
post #6594 of 6894 Old 08-26-2018, 04:01 AM
Wireless member

Hope all goes well! And congratulations!!
BrolicBeast likes this.

post #6595 of 6894 Old 08-26-2018, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
Good luck Matt & Wifey

Just do what you gotta do.
Thanks, Leslie! Btw check your email por favor.

post #6596 of 6894 Old 08-26-2018, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Hope all goes well! And congratulations!!
GRACIASSSSS!!!!

post #6597 of 6894 Old 08-26-2018, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked: 3208
A new audio/videophile soon to be born!! Hope all goes well in the delivery room. If your wife allows you to go on with this G2G, she needs to be crowned The Queen of Understanding (or equivalent) and most certainly should get some kind of reward.

Her timiing, by the way, is impeccable !!
pepar, flynfish and kingwiggi like this.
post #6598 of 6894 Old 08-26-2018, 07:31 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5497 Post(s)
Liked: 5081
I’d suggest a postponement otherwise this will be a story your grandchildren will laugh about for decades.
post #6599 of 6894 Old 08-26-2018, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The G2G has been rescheduled...

2:30...still in labor. All are healthy... baby is just taking her time.

post #6600 of 6894 Old 08-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Wireless member

You're getting this in 4k and Atmos, right?
BrolicBeast and BllDo like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page