The Beast, Unleashed - Page 222 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2624Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6631 of 6921 Old 08-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 26,907
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Don't think for a *second* that we all didn't notice in the background that you're in the hospital room when you took that pic!
Really? We don't all have biohazard waste disposal receptacles in our HTs?
DougUSMC likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
pepar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6632 of 6921 Old 08-28-2018, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Really? We don't all have biohazard waste disposal receptacles in our HTs?
I used to... they were called Bose!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
DougUSMC and Ladeback like this.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #6633 of 6921 Old 08-28-2018, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
Two girls, that means your almost guaranteed to to shoot for a 3rd hoping next time its going to be a boy.

Just promise us that you'll wait until after the G2G this time before you get your groove on.
Lolololol.....man the day before the Mrs. went into labor, the OBGYN said there was no indication of early birth despite contractions. This made sense, as she had contractions for 3 weeks around the clock with our last baby. The next evening....BOOM...super severe, head to hospital....doc says baby is coming!

Not shooting for boy at all--not putting my wife through another pregnancy. Were noooot in our 20's and this stuff really really hurts...especially with her case (misery and pain nearly the entire pregnancy, both times).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6634 of 6921 Old 08-28-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Lolololol.....man the day before the Mrs. went into labor, the OBGYN said there was no indication of early birth despite contractions. This made sense, as she had contractions for 3 weeks around the clock with our last baby. The next evening....BOOM...super severe, head to hospital....doc says baby is coming!

Not shooting for boy at all--not putting my wife through another pregnancy. Were noooot in our 20's and this stuff really really hurts...especially with her case (misery and pain nearly the entire pregnancy, both times).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Congrats on the new addition to the family Matt.

I know what you mean about not shooting for another one. Wife and I got married late in life and wanted kids, but found out it involved drugs and other things so we adopted. That wasn't cheap, but we have a great kid and we are to old to go through with a second. Enjoy them at this age, because when they start talking and getting around better, life really gets busy and expensive. Good thing you have your theater done now.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #6635 of 6921 Old 08-29-2018, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I was reviewing my libraries deciding which HD files were worth re-ripping in 4k.
What do you mean re-ripping in 4k? Do you mean "buy the 4k version to rip it" or is there some magic trick that I don't know about?

For the record: Finished my last 4k disc last night, Deadpool 2 (which we still haven't watched). I officially went 28/28 - every single one worked!
DougUSMC is offline  
post #6636 of 6921 Old 08-29-2018, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
What do you mean re-ripping in 4k? Do you mean "buy the 4k version to rip it" or is there some magic trick that I don't know about?

For the record: Finished my last 4k disc last night, Deadpool 2 (which we still haven't watched). I officially went 28/28 - every single one worked!
Ah--so I have no problem double dipping on 4k versions of movies that I already own on blu ray. But films that I own on blu ray AND already have backed up to the NAS....and then double dipped on the 4k disc ..do I really need to rip the 4k version, resulting in having 4 copies of one movie? Some criteria such as a newly added Atmos track will qualify instantly....others, say HDR added to a 20 yr old movie...not so clear cut.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #6637 of 6921 Old 08-29-2018, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Ah--so I have no problem double dipping on 4k versions of movies that I already own on blu ray. But films that I own on blu ray AND already have backed up to the NAS....and then double dipped on the 4k disc ..do I really need to rip the 4k version, resulting in having 4 copies of one movie? Some criteria such as a newly added Atmos track will qualify instantly....others, say HDR added to a 20 yr old movie...not so clear cut.
Yeah, I hear you. My own barometer is: do I love it enough to plan a night to watch it again, or is it a classic that they just added Atmos to or something.
jeffreynmandy and BrolicBeast like this.
DougUSMC is offline  
post #6638 of 6921 Old 08-30-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,722
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post



Did you try to host a GTG on your baby's due date???? Hahah... Wow. I feel like my ex-wife would have scheduled me a vasectomy if I remotely even hinted at having a GTG anywhere near my baby's due date...
Why would she have to schedule something she was likely planning on doing herself?



Quote:
Unless you unknowingly induced labor early by finding the resonant frequency of the birth canal (varies from person to person). In that case, totally acceptable.

Also depends on if there's been previous occupants. Likely resonance at higher frequencies if the abode is 'new old stock' and lower if there's evidence of previous squatters. Think playing a piccolo vs playing a milk jug.


Congrats Matt! Two is way easier than one, no need to worry.



Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
ambesolman is online now  
post #6639 of 6921 Old 08-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 26,907
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Why would she have to schedule something she was likely planning on doing herself?
ooooh, that's low.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
pepar is offline  
post #6640 of 6921 Old 08-30-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 5,353
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Why would she have to schedule something she was likely planning on doing herself?


Also depends on if there's been previous occupants. Likely resonance at higher frequencies if the abode is 'new old stock' and lower if there's evidence of previous squatters. Think playing a piccolo vs playing a milk jug.


Congrats Matt! Two is way easier than one, no need to worry.



Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still
I miss you...
popalock is offline  
post #6641 of 6921 Old 08-30-2018, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Two is NOT easier than one. In the fuzzy math of parenthood, I'm pretty sure two is harder than five. I'm tired deep in my bone marrow! But....my toddler took a keen interest in 4k ripping today (she even cancelled a rip while trying to setup a rip herself as I involuntarily nodded off, slouched over the sofa armrest.

Just put toddler to sleep.

Grabbed a four-bay Western Digital PR4100...its replacing an 8TB WD My Cloud Home, which replaced a Windows-based NAS a few months ago. Love it! I'd say it's on par with the 4 bay Synology I set up for a buddy not too long ago. Works grrrreat as a Plex server!

Looking to reschedule the G2G to Sunday, Sept 30 (with one session the previous evening of Sat, Sept 29th). Emails going out shortly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #6642 of 6921 Old 08-31-2018, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Two is NOT easier than one.
Lol, 1+ 1 = 4x as hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Grabbed a four-bay Western Digital PR4100...its replacing an 8TB WD My Cloud Home, which replaced a Windows-based NAS a few months ago. Love it! I'd say it's on par with the 4 bay Synology I set up for a buddy not too long ago. Works grrrreat as a Plex server!
Glad you dig it, what drives did you put in it and how did you configure it? I hope you're finding it reads & writes a lot faster too?
BrolicBeast likes this.
DougUSMC is offline  
post #6643 of 6921 Old 08-31-2018, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
impreza276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,237
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Lol, 1+ 1 = 4x as hard


Glad you dig it, what drives did you put in it and how did you configure it? I hope you're finding it reads & writes a lot faster too?
1 +1 = 4 for extremely large values of 1
audioguy and BrolicBeast like this.
impreza276 is offline  
post #6644 of 6921 Old 09-03-2018, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Lol, 1+ 1 = 4x as hard





Glad you dig it, what drives did you put in it and how did you configure it? I hope you're finding it reads & writes a lot faster too?

Behold! Thou speakest absolute truth!!! Parent-math is different from math-math. Lol.

I’m definitely digging it, and read and write speeds are noticeably faster. I’m a cheapskate these days, so I dug up the computer I was using as a media server earlier this year, ripped the drives out of that and stuffed them in the NAS. 4 drives—perfect....until one of them failed. Lol. Thankfully, I planned on running as Span until I have some time to research WD Red v. Seagate IronWolf—I’m going to be putting four 12TB drives in it, and at $300+ a pop, I really am trying to choose wisely. I do plan to do the AWS backups that you do—I love the idea, and I actually may run the 48TB server as Span instead of Raid since I can download backups from AWS in any case....although it might take a month to download that amount of data. Lol. so may do Span.....

...although my heart is telling me to run Raid5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
1 +1 = 4 for extremely large values of 1

Man, we should teach a college-level parental math class. We’d get tenured within seconds.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
impreza276 likes this.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #6645 of 6921 Old 09-03-2018, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
So all—for who were not following the G2G prep saga, I started backing up my 4k discs around the Monday before the G2G was supposed to occur. I spent that entire week executing rips and Plex configurations, and then that weekend, wife went into surprise labor and we had our second child. This past week was spent in zombie land with the new baby plus existing toddler. So.....

I say all of that to say this: will all of the ripping and configurations, I had not yet watched a single full 4K movie via the new diskless system......

Until last night.

Watched Deadpool 2–I really, really liked it. More than the first one. The AV was awesome—I started watching the movie in standard “Movie Night” mode, and then I realized that my lungs were not physically gasping for air after the first explosion. I immediately switched to “The Brolic Experience: (the mode that is a cut above Beast Mode) and found complete satisfaction! Satisfaction isn’t the word.....elation...

Yes....elation is the word. Also, I sprung for the lifetime membership of Plex—so I get access to all the extras for every movie in the library, even though I only backed up the primary disc. I am at a point that I believe to be the pinnacle of my enjoyment of the room! Can this experience get any better for me?

I’m afraid to answer that question, because it could be a very expensive answer.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #6646 of 6921 Old 09-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 26,907
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Yes....elation is the word. Also, I sprung for the lifetime membership of Plex—so I get access to all the extras for every movie in the library, even though I only backed up the primary disc. I am at a point that I believe to be the pinnacle of my enjoyment of the room! Can this experience get any better for me?

I’m afraid to answer that question, because it could be a very expensive answer.
Ha! The pace of technology is such that the cutting edge will be 8k by your fourth - or maybe third child. 🙂
BrolicBeast likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
pepar is offline  
post #6647 of 6921 Old 09-03-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,070
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4571 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Can this experience get any better for me?

I’m afraid to answer that question, because it could be a very expensive answer.
I asked that question and it just cost me a new projector and anamorphic lens. But at least the audio and video will be of the same caliber.
BrolicBeast likes this.
audioguy is offline  
post #6648 of 6921 Old 09-03-2018, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Ha! The pace of technology is such that the cutting edge will be 8k by your fourth - or maybe third child. 🙂
Lol, wife says no more kids (I dont blame her--epidural didnt take so she had this one 100% naturally with the anesthesiologist sorrowfully apologizing), so i'll have to correlate technology milestones like 8K to current-kids' maturity milestones rather than future birth events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I asked that question and it just cost me a new projector and anamorphic lens. But at least the audio and video will be of the same caliber.
Hahaha...man, your answer to that question typically results in MAJOR updates. Catalysts to Platinums, Rs500 to Rs4500, Datasat to Trinnov. You should NEVER ask that question to yourself ever again! Lolol.....but I secretly hope you keep asking it so I can keep watching and living vicariously through all 3000 lumens at your disposal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #6649 of 6921 Old 09-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
capricorn kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
So all—for who were not following the G2G prep saga, I started backing up my 4k discs around the Monday before the G2G was supposed to occur. I spent that entire week executing rips and Plex configurations, and then that weekend, wife went into surprise labor and we had our second child. This past week was spent in zombie land with the new baby plus existing toddler. So.....

I say all of that to say this: will all of the ripping and configurations, I had not yet watched a single full 4K movie via the new diskless system......

Until last night.

Watched Deadpool 2–I really, really liked it. More than the first one. The AV was awesome—I started watching the movie in standard “Movie Night” mode, and then I realized that my lungs were not physically gasping for air after the first explosion. I immediately switched to “The Brolic Experience: (the mode that is a cut above Beast Mode) and found complete satisfaction! Satisfaction isn’t the word.....elation...

Yes....elation is the word. Also, I sprung for the lifetime membership of Plex—so I get access to all the extras for every movie in the library, even though I only backed up the primary disc. I am at a point that I believe to be the pinnacle of my enjoyment of the room! Can this experience get any better for me?

I’m afraid to answer that question, because it could be a very expensive answer.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
If you don't mind me asking.....with "The Brolic Experience" what are your sub levels set to? How many dbs are they over your mains? ( how hot )
popalock likes this.

Klipsch towers RF-62 / RC-62 center
Dual Rythmik FVX15 subs
Denon AVR-X3400H
128" 2:35.1 screen
Panasonic PT-AE 8000u projector
capricorn kid is offline  
post #6650 of 6921 Old 09-03-2018, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post
If you don't mind me asking.....with "The Brolic Experience" what are your sub levels set to? How many dbs are they over your mains? ( how hot )
Well, it's a hard question to answer...its definitely quite a few DB over the standard level for the baseline, but the curve is finely tweaked with a very special shelf I created that ensures the midbass is not overpowering, but the LFE has extreme gravitas below 35Hz, with levels slowly increasing as the Hz decreases. 15Hz will pressurize your body to intense levels if played above reference. I never play this move above reference....ever.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
capricorn kid likes this.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #6651 of 6921 Old 09-03-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,070
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4571 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Hahaha...man, your answer to that question typically results in MAJOR updates. Catalysts to Platinums, Rs500 to Rs4500, Datasat to Trinnov. You should NEVER ask that question to yourself ever again! Lolol.....but I secretly hope you keep asking it so I can keep watching and living vicariously through all 3000 lumens at your disposal.
At the (high) risk of making myself look foolish yet again, I think the number of (significant) changes that you will see in my room for the next 5+ years will be minimal! Why? (1) Had Seaton delivered his mini Spark anywhere near schedule, I would still have the Seaton system; (2) The ONLY reason I upgraded to the Trinnov was for additional speaker count. And I have almost no interest in adding more speakers. (3) I was perfectly OK with my RS500 for 1080P, but HDR was too dark so chose to spend the money and get a PJ that had long life source (~25,000 hour laser) and has the brightness for my room/screen/throw distance for an acceptable HDR image; and, drum roll please ..... (4) After the message on Sunday at church, I wrote my wife an email telling her that I would not do any upgrades to the PJ, SSP, amps or speakers for the next 5+ years !!! (This EXCLUDES the new RS4500 that is on the way!!)

GREAT message, by the way. (part of the message dealt with "chasing shiny stuff"). Let's just say I got very convicted !!
dgage and TMcG like this.
audioguy is offline  
post #6652 of 6921 Old 09-03-2018, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 5,353
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Well, it's a hard question to answer...its definitely quite a few DB over the standard level for the baseline, but the curve is finely tweaked with a very special shelf I created that ensures the midbass is not overpowering, but the LFE has extreme gravitas below 35Hz, with levels slowly increasing as the Hz decreases. 15Hz will pressurize your body to intense levels if played above reference. I never play this move above reference....ever.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Not a hard question to answer at all.
popalock is offline  
post #6653 of 6921 Old 09-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Matt I can’t wait to hear/see your theater!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast likes this.
mercracing is offline  
post #6654 of 6921 Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Watched Deadpool 2–I really, really liked it. More than the first one. The AV was awesome—I started watching the movie in standard “Movie Night” mode, and then I realized that my lungs were not physically gasping for air after the first explosion. I immediately switched to “The Brolic Experience: (the mode that is a cut above Beast Mode) and found complete satisfaction! Satisfaction isn’t the word.....elation...

Yes....elation is the word. Also, I sprung for the lifetime membership of Plex—so I get access to all the extras for every movie in the library, even though I only backed up the primary disc. I am at a point that I believe to be the pinnacle of my enjoyment of the room!
Interesting that you say all of that, b/c we just had the exact same experience, with the exact same movie! It was definitely a good flick, and they did a good job with both the audio and visual - definitely worth a "buy" IMO.

The other thing I gotta say is that I'm really a huge fan of the Plex. For years I was running a big bada$$ HTPC with Kodi, and thought that was legit. Over the last year I added the NAS and steadily moved all of the house's media over to it. In the last week I ditched the HTPC, and added a Shield and the miniPC (for the MoviePoster app), and I gotta say: yesterday completely finished my conversion. The little remote is awesome, the UI is great, and I'm a huge fan of the interface. The Brother-in-Law and I were going back and forth thru the Oppo, 4k Apple TV, and Shield, and I gotta say that I really prefer the Shield!

That being said, now I have to see what the lifetime membership gets me...
BrolicBeast likes this.
DougUSMC is offline  
post #6655 of 6921 Old 09-04-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,070
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4571 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
Sounds like I need to take a look at Plex. While my Dune "works", the interface leaves a LOT to be desired. A LOT.

What platform are you using to run Plex and why it vs others?

Can I run the server portion on my Synology DS1817+ or do I need a PC (which will be a huge damper on moving forward). There is a PLEX app in the 1817 but I don't know if it has the speed/processing power to do an effective job. I shall do some research.

Last edited by audioguy; 09-04-2018 at 09:35 AM.
audioguy is offline  
post #6656 of 6921 Old 09-04-2018, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Interesting that you say all of that, b/c we just had the exact same experience, with the exact same movie! It was definitely a good flick, and they did a good job with both the audio and visual - definitely worth a "buy" IMO.



The other thing I gotta say is that I'm really a huge fan of the Plex. For years I was running a big bada$$ HTPC with Kodi, and thought that was legit. Over the last year I added the NAS and steadily moved all of the house's media over to it. In the last week I ditched the HTPC, and added a Shield and the miniPC (for the MoviePoster app), and I gotta say: yesterday completely finished my conversion. The little remote is awesome, the UI is great, and I'm a huge fan of the interface. The Brother-in-Law and I were going back and forth thru the Oppo, 4k Apple TV, and Shield, and I gotta say that I really prefer the Shield!



That being said, now I have to see what the lifetime membership gets me...
Mann, I almost fell out my chair when Deadpool called Domino “Black Black Widow.” Lol...there were so many lines in the movie that made me laugh out loud, loudly! Sort of a perfect combination of action, comedy, and storyline. As with the first flick, the opening credits are really great!!!

Yeah man, I’ve shunned Plex for years in favor of JRiver.....honestly, without the Nvidia Shield, I’d still be using JRiver—it’s the combination of Plex and the Nvidia Shield that really make a winning combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Sounds like I need to take a look at Plex. While my Dune "works", the interface leaves a LOT to be desired. A LOT.



What platform are you using to run Plex and why it vs others?



Can I run the server portion on my Synology DS1817+ or do I need a PC (which will be a huge damper on moving forward). There is a PLEX app in the 1817 but I don't know if it has the speed/processing power to do an effective job. I shall do some research.
Yeah man, if your Synology has Plex, use it. Because I like to test as many scenarios as possible, I currently have two servers running—one with a laptop running the Plex Media Server connected to a WD My Cloud Home NAS and the second is a separate WD PR4100 NAS running Plex inherently. When run through the laptop server, HDMI sync times are haywire for 4K and 1080p content. When run from the PR4100 NAS Plex server, HDMI sync times are non-existent, regardless of content. I’ve never known such immediate 4K images.....Even faster than the Oppo. I say all this to say, definitely run the Plex in your Synology to a NVidia Shield (the Dune may even have a Plex app, since it’s rooted in Android TV operating system just as the Shield is).


Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
Matt I can’t wait to hear/see your theater!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t wait to have you down here man!

[‘[


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #6657 of 6921 Old 09-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Lanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Can I run the server portion on my Synology DS1817+ or do I need a PC (which will be a huge damper on moving forward). There is a PLEX app in the 1817 but I don't know if it has the speed/processing power to do an effective job. I shall do some research.
I have the DS1817+ running Plex Media Server. Works great, but it doesn't really have the horsepower to transcode 4K content if you need to do that. I rip both the UHD and 1080p versions of the movie though, so it's mostly not an issue for me. I say mostly because if you have a title with subtitles that you're showing (even forced subtitles), then the server may need to transcode depending on the capabilities of the player and the type of subtitles you have (PGS, text, etc).

If I need to transcode 1080p content, I haven't really noticed a problem with the DS1817+ (sometimes tweak playback quality of my wifi is weak). For me, this pretty much only pops up when I'm watching on an iPad.

I try to setup my players so that I'm mostly direct playing or direct streaming things from the server.
Lanky is online now  
post #6658 of 6921 Old 09-04-2018, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
I have the DS1817+ running Plex Media Server. Works great, but it doesn't really have the horsepower to transcode 4K content if you need to do that. I rip both the UHD and 1080p versions of the movie though, so it's mostly not an issue for me. I say mostly because if you have a title with subtitles that you're showing (even forced subtitles), then the server may need to transcode depending on the capabilities of the player and the type of subtitles you have (PGS, text, etc).

If I need to transcode 1080p content, I haven't really noticed a problem with the DS1817+ (sometimes tweak playback quality of my wifi is weak). For me, this pretty much only pops up when I'm watching on an iPad.

I try to setup my players so that I'm mostly direct playing or direct streaming things from the server.
I saw you mentioned wifi signal...have you tried testing your players with a hardwired connection?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #6659 of 6921 Old 09-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Member
 
Lanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I saw you mentioned wifi signal...have you tried testing your players with a hardwired connection?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah, the players to the TVs and the projector are hardwired and never have a problem. It's just when the iPad was on the far side of the house from the router the signal would be a bit flaky. But I recently upgraded the routers and extenders and that's not an issue anymore!
Lanky is online now  
post #6660 of 6921 Old 09-05-2018, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
The G2G is going down FOR REAL this time! Saturday night 9/29 at 7:30pm and Session 2 on Sunday morning 9/30 at 10:00am. There may still be a Session 3 on Sunday afternoon—playing that one by ear.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
BrolicBeast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off