The Beast, Unleashed - Page 225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2625Likes

post #6721 of 6921 Old 09-30-2018, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Thank you for the awesome experience Matt!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtisG and BrolicBeast like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 6921 Old 09-30-2018, 07:30 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Reviews please! Us non-attenders want details!!

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #6723 of 6921 Old 09-30-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Making my way through your YouTube videos right now after recently stumbling across them. What a great resource!

Here's a link to video 1 of 15 for anyone who hasn't seen them:
impreza276 and BrolicBeast like this.

Last edited by NotShorty; 09-30-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6724 of 6921 Old 09-30-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4583 Post(s)
Liked: 3353
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
+1
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6725 of 6921 Old 09-30-2018, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Matt let me start off by saying how much I appreciate being welcomed into your home and meeting the family .The beast unleashed room is definitely a site to see and hear with your selected demo material. I have been in a few home theaters over the years and not heard many like this espeically that extreme mode which is not for the faint at heart lol!! I think we all laughed when you said do you guys want to go at reference level. Saying this all has me reevaluating my current room construction and how its so important to the experience inside and out . Finally it was great meeting the avs forum gang to put faces to handles .

I look forward to getting together again with all you like minded enthusiast.
curtisG, BrolicBeast and llang269 like this.
post #6726 of 6921 Old 09-30-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 720
The Beast was Unleashed on our poor souls. Thanks for an amazing experience!
post #6727 of 6921 Old 09-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Matt - thank you again for the amazing experience of 'The Beast'. Your set-up sounds incredible, and those 8x Seaton subs bring a new definition to what incredible bass sounds like!
Mark Seaton and BrolicBeast like this.
post #6728 of 6921 Old 09-30-2018, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2123
The Beast, Unleashed

Special thanks to all who came out this weekend for the G2G! It was an absolute blast! More tomorrow, but for now... here a couple of photos. These are from sessions 2 and 3 today--i forgot to take photos last night for session 1.

Session 1 Screen Pic:

Between sessions 2 and 3...chatting and getting to know each other.

Session 2 Guests

Session 3 Guests

View from the back row:
impreza276, femi, TMcG and 2 others like this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 10-01-2018 at 06:42 AM.
post #6729 of 6921 Old 10-01-2018, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For one, the pictures do not do it justice. The room and screen are huge! The design and layout are superb, the materials exquisite. It is a portal - your puny body is flung deep into the thick of the action, tossed around like a leaf in a hurricane! I am usually not a fan of recliners. However those seats are something else.. They are heavenly!!
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6730 of 6921 Old 10-01-2018, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What. A. Weekend.

Rephrase: What.A.Wonderful.Weekend

One G2G | Three sessions | Two days | 18 attendees

All sessions followed the same general pattern (see setlist below).

Session 1:

The “Unleashing the Beast” three-session G2G kicked off Saturday night with a group of five folks. This group was a mix of enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts. We had a great time playing through content and learned that the majority of attendees have an aversion to spiders.

Session 2:

This session had a group of seven guests—all of which are enthusiasts. I started it with the projector off. Wanted to kick off the audiophile listening experience where the focus was 100% the music. Then, fired up the projector and went through the demo setlist. After the first demo ( Ready Player One Race), attendees instructed me to turn it up! So i did :-). I learned in this session that my verbal scene-setups must be too long-winded, because despite starting at 10:18am (only 18 mins behind schedule...not bad by G2G standards), the video clip demo session ended just as the time for Session 3 to begin (12:30). So, we decided to do a combined guest-request portion after Session 3.

Session 3:

We kicked this session off with six guests, all of whom were enthusiasts. Session 2 and 3 folks were meeting and greeting after Session 2, so we started this third session about an hour behind schedule. That’s the joy of this hobby—meeting people who are as crazy about this stuff as you are. We started this session with the projector on only because it was on already. Dove right in to the music...good music demos never get old...ever. Once this was complete, we kicked off the movie clip demos and had a grrreat time with those.

Note: different material works better with different listening modes. I’m posting the final setlist, along with which mode we listened in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
bigbadbob likes this.
post #6731 of 6921 Old 10-01-2018, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Beast, Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisG View Post
Matt - thank you again for the amazing experience of 'The Beast'. Your set-up sounds incredible, and those 8x Seaton subs bring a new definition to what incredible bass sounds like!

Curtis, thank you so much for attending the event, and it was really great putting a face to the name. Your kind words regarding the system’s performance mean a lot! High performance bass is definitely a way of life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
The Beast was Unleashed on our poor souls. Thanks for an amazing experience!

You are very welcome! Thanks for coming!

Quote:
For one, the pictures do not do it justice. The room and screen are huge! The design and layout are superb, the materials exquisite. It is a portal - your puny body is flung deep into the thick of the action, tossed around like a leaf in a hurricane! I am usually not a fan of recliners. However those seats are something else.. They are heavenly!!

Mannn, the story behind the seats is something. I almost got a smaller, stiffer model (which I would have ok with), but at the last moment, I took some measurements and realized I could fit the step up tribute models with easy, I immediately placed the order for those instead! Glad you liked the room and the experience that the Beast provides, once Unleashed!!! :-) It was very nice meeting you as well. Man, what do you bench press? 400 lbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post
Matt let me start off by saying how much I appreciate being welcomed into your home and meeting the family .The beast unleashed room is definitely a site to see and hear with your selected demo material. I have been in a few home theaters over the years and not heard many like this espeically that extreme mode which is not for the faint at heart lol!! I think we all laughed when you said do you guys want to go at reference level. Saying this all has me reevaluating my current room construction and how its so important to the experience inside and out . Finally it was great meeting the avs forum gang to put faces to handles .

I look forward to getting together again with all you like minded enthusiast.

Man, glad we finally met! LOL....”The Ultimate Mode” formerly “ Danger Close” truly is not for the faint of heart! Lolol. Glad you had a good time and feel free to ask any questions if you’ll be making changes to your current room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
Thank you for the awesome experience Matt!!

Thanks for coming from way over yonder!!! It was great having you over, and I’m glad our little one warmed up to you after a few minutes (she’s usually super-shy). Thanks for that Catalyst demo request—it’s a monster!!

curtisG likes this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 10-01-2018 at 08:05 AM.
post #6732 of 6921 Old 10-01-2018, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Matt, I’m very glad that she warmed up to me too. She’s a talker that’s for sure! Hopefully she wasn’t up to late or early. I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like spiders, however I’m more then happy to kill them.

Like I mentioned Saturday I’m not a good barometer for sound levels but I was wondering if you could check something for me. I forgot to mention it Saturday. When I played RPO in our theater, I really had to turn the sound up a decent bit past where I normally do due to the dialog being very quiet. Would you be able to play it in your theater against a different movie and see if you notice that? I was watching from Prime, not a disc.

Thanks!!!

BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6733 of 6921 Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Matt

A great day was had by all. You have an absolutely amazing room. Its really difficult to comprehend how much a well thought out room adds to the whole experience.

BTW I nominated you as primary consultant on my HT build.

It was great to meet you and your beautiful family and it was well worth the trip up from Florida for me.

And not forgetting Hi AVS buddies - great meeting up with you

Leslie
BrolicBeast likes this.

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
Kaleidescape Strato, Zapitti 4K HDR Duo, Xbox One X, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro,
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, BDP-105, Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, QNAP TVS-871
post #6734 of 6921 Old 10-01-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Always an epic experience brother, thanks for the invite!

We were in group 3, and have to travel *just* far enough that I need to plan for extra travel time (70 mi). I don't do late, so we got there 30 mins early. Which was just enough time to chat w/the Brolic Ladies (all 3), and meet some new friends before group 2 came up. Annnnnnd, enough time to see that my eyeballs blurred a few times on the first floor, from the vibrations coming up from the basement! Hilarious!!

Much fun was had by all, thanks for letting all of us share in your victory lap!!
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6735 of 6921 Old 10-01-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Man, what do you bench press? 400 lbs?
Lol, I can barely lift a 120lb sheet of drywall over my head onto the lift. I haven't been to the gym I've been paying for (SMH). Currently the HT build provides all my exercise needs.

About the G2G. We watched the guys from the first session appear out of the theater stumbling and visibly shaken. We looked at each other and thought - "What have we gotten ourselves into!"
post #6736 of 6921 Old 10-01-2018, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Matt,

What a wonderful time! Thank you so much for hosting such an epic event. You and your lovely wife were gracious hosts and super welcoming.

As for your theater, it’s obviously unbelievable. Like many others I've watched and read your build thread and YouTube clips over the years as you've put your blood sweat and tears into your HT. As I said on Sunday the pictures don’t do your room justice. From the second you walk in your HT you quickly realize what we've done is on another level. I could babble on and on but here are a few quick mental notes.

- The ceiling to floor curved screen is quite a sight to see. To have a screen that large that almost fills the entire front wall is amazing. Not to mention the dark treatments and paint you put around the screen to the point where at first I thought the screen was edgeless.
- The soundstage and presence of the Triad Cinema Plus speakers really make a statement not to mention the clean SPL for days. The Melissa Menago track you played really showed how reveling your setup is as her voice sounded excellent. The horns in the song L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole really stood out in mind as they sounded so smooth and lively. The time and attention you have taken to treat and EQ the room has paid off in spades.
- I really like how your theater offers two vastly different seating perspectives when sitting in the front row vs the second. The first row is more of a IMAX experience while the back row gives a more traditional movie theater feel. I also noted that the movie clips sounded excellent in both seating rows which again is a testament to all of the EQing work you’ve done.
- The bass in your room was incredibly smooth and plentiful. I’m not sure if we were listening in Beast Mode or The Brolic Experience mode but I loved whatever frequencies you boosted or trimmed.
-The use of Triad speakers all around really created a synergy of sound that I had not experienced before. During the demos I kept asking about the surrounds and wides because I really was taken aback by what I was hearing. The cohesiveness was really nice.

Again man congrats on amazing theater, you’ve done an outstanding job! It’s only a matter of time before we see your work displayed on the home page as HT of the month.
curtisG and BrolicBeast like this.
post #6737 of 6921 Old 10-02-2018, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
Matt

A great day was had by all. You have an absolutely amazing room. Its really difficult to comprehend how much a well thought out room adds to the whole experience.

BTW I nominated you as primary consultant on my HT build.

It was great to meet you and your beautiful family and it was well worth the trip up from Florida for me.

And not forgetting Hi AVS buddies - great meeting up with you

Leslie

Thanks, Leslie, I’m happy to help any way I can on your HT build! Your knowledge of audio and video is quite impressive. Need to hold a 1 hr. video calibration workshop with you as the main instructor at the next G2G! Glad you enjoyed the room, and I’m very glad it was worth the trip up to MD from the cool, calm, sunny state of Florida. One of my biggest concerns was “will they think it was worth the time?” for those who live close, and “will they think it was worth the trip?” for those who came from afar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Always an epic experience brother, thanks for the invite!

We were in group 3, and have to travel *just* far enough that I need to plan for extra travel time (70 mi). I don't do late, so we got there 30 mins early. Which was just enough time to chat w/the Brolic Ladies (all 3), and meet some new friends before group 2 came up. Annnnnnd, enough time to see that my eyeballs blurred a few times on the first floor, from the vibrations coming up from the basement! Hilarious!!

Much fun was had by all, thanks for letting all of us share in your victory lap!!

Thanks bro....man, when I got the phone notification that someone was at the Front Door, I thought to myself “who is here super early?” Then I realized it had to be you because you DO take punctuality very seriously. Man, when you guys came, the demos were in “The Ultimate Experience” mode. I’ll share a bit of the secret sauce—that Ultimate mode boosts frequencies below 20Hz by 7db. Since I don’t like to add information where there’s none, I actually use a low shelf to drop the entire bass curve by 7db after 20Hz, and I then raise the overall gain by 7 so it goes back up to baseline (other than the shelf) appropriate levels without “creating” false information. That ULF boost is probably what was making eyeball martinis—shaken, not stirred.

Quote:
Lol, I can barely lift a 120lb sheet of drywall over my head onto the lift. I haven't been to the gym I've been paying for (SMH). Currently the HT build provides all my exercise needs.

About the G2G. We watched the guys from the first session appear out of the theater stumbling and visibly shaken. We looked at each other and thought - "What have we gotten ourselves into!"
Lol, ahh—the “getting to the gym” challenge experienced by people nation-wide! It really is tough! LOLLLLL @ “what have we gotten ourselves into?” Lol-the body really does have to recover before one gets their bearings. *In calm doctor’s voice* “Stumbling and appearing shaken is completely normal!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
Matt, I’m very glad that she warmed up to me too. She’s a talker that’s for sure! Hopefully she wasn’t up to late or early. I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like spiders, however I’m more then happy to kill them.

Like I mentioned Saturday I’m not a good barometer for sound levels but I was wondering if you could check something for me. I forgot to mention it Saturday. When I played RPO in our theater, I really had to turn the sound up a decent bit past where I normally do due to the dialog being very quiet. Would you be able to play it in your theater against a different movie and see if you notice that? I was watching from Prime, not a disc.

Thanks!!!

Naw, she went to be super late largely because she didn’t get much exercise during the day. She was ready to run a race at a moment’s office!

Sure, I’ll whip out the SPL meter and take some measurements of RPO versus another film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiWega View Post
Matt,

What a wonderful time! Thank you so much for hosting such an epic event. You and your lovely wife were gracious hosts and super welcoming.

As for your theater, it’s obviously unbelievable. Like many others I've watched and read your build thread and YouTube clips over the years as you've put your blood sweat and tears into your HT. As I said on Sunday the pictures don’t do your room justice. From the second you walk in your HT you quickly realize what we've done is on another level. I could babble on and on but here are a few quick mental notes.

- The ceiling to floor curved screen is quite a sight to see. To have a screen that large that almost fills the entire front wall is amazing. Not to mention the dark treatments and paint you put around the screen to the point where at first I thought the screen was edgeless.

- The soundstage and presence of the Triad Cinema Plus speakers really make a statement not to mention the clean SPL for days. The Melissa Menago track you played really showed how reveling your setup is as her voice sounded excellent. The horns in the song L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole really stood out in mind as they sounded so smooth and lively. The time and attention you have taken to treat and EQ the room has paid off in spades.

- I really like how your theater offers two vastly different seating perspectives when sitting in the front row vs the second. The first row is more of a IMAX experience while the back row gives a more traditional movie theater feel. I also noted that the movie clips sounded excellent in both seating rows which again is a testament to all of the EQing work you’ve done.

- The bass in your room was incredibly smooth and plentiful. I’m not sure if we were listening in Beast Mode or The Brolic Experience mode but I loved whatever frequencies you boosted or trimmed.

-The use of Triad speakers all around really created a synergy of sound that I had not experienced before. During the demos I kept asking about the surrounds and wides because I really was taken aback by what I was hearing. The cohesiveness was really nice.

Again man congrats on amazing theater, you’ve done an outstanding job! It’s only a matter of time before we see your work displayed on the home page as HT of the month.

Hey man, thanks so much for your kinds words! I’m glad you liked the screen man! Yup, the row I select really is based on the IMAX vs. “At the Movies” experience.

Definitely happy that you appreciate the equalization modes, as well as the sound of the Triad soundstage. the cohesiveness comment means a lot, as there are a lot of speakers firing at any given time, and there have been countless tests of pans, and overhead swoops, and other material to fine-tune that soundstage cohesion!

I never really considered Triad (for some reason, I thought they only made million dollar speakers for the rich elite 1%) until hearing them at the home of @craig john . Then it became less of an “ok I’ll never afford this” and more of a “I need to find a way to afford this.” Lol. that’s when I found out that while certainly not inexpensive, they were not as far out of reach as I originally thought. Had to pursue!

Oh, the bass—it warms my heart to hear the “smooth and plentiful” descriptors! A key focal point in dialing in the bass was even when required, but textured when required. A good example of even bass is in the Ready Player One - Race demo (clean, high impact), while an example of textured is in the Interstellar wave scene where the bass has a textured consistent rumble to it to replicate the sound of a wave. I really wanted details like that to shine through. For video, some clips, we listened in beast mode (renamed The Movie Experience), in others we listened in Danger Close mode (renamed The Ultimate Experience). I’m definitely glad you enjoyed the various modes!

Regarding the modes, later during the guest request portion, everyone who made a scene or song request got to sit in the sweet spot (front row, center seat) with iPad in hand, switching between modes in real time. It was cool to see how the sound changed (especially with material I wasn’t familiar with).

Thanks again to everyone for coming out—it was a real joy having each and everyone one of you at the house. My wife thought everyone was so cool, and really enjoyed meeting everyone.

My eldest daughter (an inquisitive 20 month old) also liked you guys a lot (as she did not clam up at run away)!

We must do this again, sooner than later!

DougUSMC and bubbrik like this.
post #6738 of 6921 Old 10-02-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Very good to. Someday Matt, hopefully someday.
BrolicBeast likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #6739 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Matt,
I wanted to say thank you so much for having everyone over to your house and hosting the g2g. I really appreciated you and your wife’s hospitality and willingness to host!

Your theater was absolutely amazing. From the voicing in the speakers, to the bass, to the IMAX size screen, to your attention to small details (no rattles, etc.). So immersive! I took a lot of notes during the g2g. Thank you for sharing so much about your build!

Josh

Yamaha Aventage 3060, 7.2.4
Goldenear Triton 1's, Supercenter XXL, 4-MPX, 4-652
2-SVS PB-16's
JVC RS500 Pro
137" wide 16:9 V6 AT Screen

Last edited by JMAX2016; 10-03-2018 at 07:43 AM.
post #6740 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAX2016 View Post
Matt,

I wanted to say thank you so much for having everyone over to your house and hosting the g2g. I really appreciated your and your wife’s hospitality and willingness to host!

Your theater was absolutely amazing. From the voicing in the speakers, to the bass, to the IMAX size screen, to your attention to small details (not rattles, etc.). So immersive! I took a lot of notes during the g2g. Thank you for sharing so much about your build!

Josh

Hey Josh, it was totally great meeting you! You’re super cool! Feel free to reach out with any questions you have on your notes!

Many thanks for the complements on the room! Really glad you had a good time. I hope the Cinema vs. Natural swapping was helpful. I wasn’t ready for what Animation mode would bring to the table for HDR (shocked look on face!). Did you end up deciding which video mode you ultimately preferred (for both Skin Tones i.e. Maximus vs. Tigris fight from Gladiator and HDR i.e. The throne room light sabre melee from The Last Jedi )?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotShorty View Post
Making my way through your YouTube videos right now after recently stumbling across them. What a great resource!

Here's a link to video 1 of 15 for anyone who hasn't seen them:
https://youtu.be/RnVhQ5upZnI

Thanks for posting that link! Definitely glad you like the videos! I have another episode (the FINAL episod in the series) coming soon, the title of which shall be: “Completion.”

NotShorty likes this.
post #6741 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Hey Josh, it was totally great meeting you! You’re super cool! Feel free to reach out with any questions you have on your notes!

Many thanks for the complements on the room! Really glad you had a good time. I hope the Cinema vs. Natural swapping was helpful. I wasn’t ready for what Animation mode would bring to the table for HDR (shocked look on face!). Did you end up deciding which video mode you ultimately preferred (for both Skin Tones i.e. Maximus vs. Tigris fight from Gladiator and HDR i.e. The throne room light sabre melee from The Last Jedi )?

Thanks for posting that link! Definitely glad you like the videos! I have another episode (the FINAL episod in the series) coming soon, the title of which shall be: “Completion.”

"completion" Make sure you place an asterisk at the end....lol

Klipsch towers RF-62 / RC-62 center
Dual Rythmik FVX15 subs
Denon AVR-X3400H
128" 2:35.1 screen
Panasonic PT-AE 8000u projector
post #6742 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post
"completion" Make sure you place an asterisk at the end....lol

Lol...I should probably use a different word. Completion is far too.....unattainable!

post #6743 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Matt,

As I said to you at the end of the day, this was the Best HT demo I've ever had. There were many reasons for that:
  1. The size of the image and the picture quality
  2. The sheer volume output capability of your system
  3. The unbelievable prodigiousness of the bass, (I coined a new term there because your bass deserves a new term )
  4. The sound quality of the music demos
  5. Atmos, Atmos, Atmos
  6. Your room and it's solid and overbuilt construction
  7. The wonderful hospitality I experienced in your home
  8. The unexpectedly pleasant and enlightening conversations I had with your lovely wife, (she's a real keeper, don't let her get away! )
  9. Your charming and engaging little girls... VERY, VERY cute!
  10. The great conversations with other like-minded enthusiasts
It was just a truly excellent day and I am humbled to have been invited. Thank you!

Craig

Edit: If you have another demo day after Adam Pelz works his magic, I would be interested in seeing/hearing how much more he can extract from your system.
Mark Seaton and BrolicBeast like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Last edited by craig john; 10-03-2018 at 11:20 AM.
post #6744 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4583 Post(s)
Liked: 3353
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Matt,

As I said to you at the end of the day, this was the Best HT demo I've ever had. There were many reasons for that:
  3. The unbelievable prodigiousness of the bass, (I coined a new term there because your bass deserves a new term )
  5. Atmos, Atmos, Atmos
  8. The unexpectedly pleasant and enlightening conversations I had with your lovely wife, (she's a real keeper, don't let her get away! )
It was just a truly excellent day and I am humbled to have been invited. Thank you!

Craig

Edit: If you have another demo day after Adam Pelz works his magic, I would be interested in seeing/hearing how much more he can extract from your system.
@craig john : Are you ready to jump on the Atmos Train?

Now that you've heard his room and were so impressed with, among other things, the bass, I need to figure out a way to go hear his system. My guess would be the lower end up his LFE channel would be a good bit better than mine even though we have similar rooms and the same subs. He sits on a concrete floor and has triple drywalled walls.

I also find your statement interesting: "The sheer volume output capability of your system". He does have extra side wall channels compared to your room and, of course, they are larger (Golds). Just curious about what you think provides this capability.
post #6745 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Matt,

5. Atmos, Atmos, Atmos

Craig

Craig, thank you for the very nice words about the family. They are my pride and joy! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the G2G and am super humbled that you'd consider this demo anywhere near the top, let alone the best. I left your house a few years ago with the exact same impression! So glad you like Atmos too... looking forward to watching how you implement it in your power-packed space. My wife says "Hiiii" It really was a very fun g2g.

Definitely will be having more G2Gs leading up to, and after professional calibration. Wife and I decided to have a G2G once every quarter! What has taken me hours to develop will probably take Adam mere seconds to surpass. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
@craig john : Are you ready to jump on the Atmos Train?

Now that you've heard his room and were so impressed with, among other things, the bass, I need to figure out a way to go hear his system. My guess would be the lower end up his LFE channel would be a good bit better than mine even though we have similar rooms and the same subs. He sits on a concrete floor and has triple drywalled walls.

I also find your statement interesting: "The sheer volume output capability of your system". He does have extra side wall channels compared to your room and, of course, they are larger (Golds). Just curious about what you think provides this capability.
My only guess on the output comment is the baffle wall! Provides +6db with the standard Triad baffle walls, and my guess is a tad more than that with Nyal's custom design.

Come on over and get: Unleashed!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 10-03-2018 at 03:55 PM.
post #6746 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Wireless member

Oh man, you even have a baffle wall!!
BrolicBeast likes this.

post #6747 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh man, you even have a baffle wall!!
YEAH MANNNNNN! #BaffledAgain

post #6748 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 08:10 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
YEAH MANNNNNN!
So the fiberglass, absorptive as it is, still functions as a baffle? (Rhetorical, of course.) is there a requirement that it be backed with something solid?

Jeff

post #6749 of 6921 Old 10-03-2018, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So the fiberglass, absorptive as it is, still functions as a baffle? (Rhetorical, of course.) is there a requirement that it be backed with something solid?

Jeff
The fiber glass only sits behind the baffle wall construct (except for a few key sections). ...the baffle wall (painted black) is a 5/8" drywall->5/8" MDF->5/8" drywall sandwich with green glue between layers and linscoustic on either side of each tweeter. Check out the baffle wall design diagram on page 1 of this thread!

Check these out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/_7-N1_qm...=1gabnybne815m

DougUSMC likes this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 10-04-2018 at 03:27 AM.
post #6750 of 6921 Old 10-09-2018, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@kingwiggi . After you mentioned Avengers Infinity War at the G2G, I decided to get over my disdain over the audio mixing fiasco I experienced in the cinemas and went to grab the disc. I engaged “The Ultimate Experience” mode in the Qsys UCI and behold, the movie sounded GREAT! Copious bass and great Atmos. It’s like, the details are there in the mix, but the bed channels are not balanced properly with the Atmos channels. That mode adds a couple decibels to the Atmos channels (depending on seating), and engages a LFE custom curve. Looks like I need to rename that mode “C’Mon Disney” lolol.

impreza276 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page