The theater has been fully functional for the last two years; however, there has always been something that I’ve wanted to “fix” about it: the rear row seating height. Heretofore, I needed to lower the front row of seats in order to get a clear line of sight to the bottom of the massive 16:9 screen. The wife and I always use the front row, but when it’s just me in the theater, my front-row/rear-row selection has been split about 50/50 depending on what the viewing will be (YouTube? Rear.....4K Movie? Front....etc.). But I’ve always wanted better sight lines from the rear row. None of this was a surprise—my home cinema engineering drawing calls for a booster riser, although it’s much smaller than the one we built (yes, “we”...more on this later!)
First thing first—figuring out how high the riser needed to be. Well, after trial and error using hard foam gym noise silencer pads (so tough, they don’t compress under body weight, only the weight of massive barbells being dropped on them)...I managed to find out the required booster riser height: 7.5”.
Pick your jaws off the floor—that number scared me too, until I realized something—when I went to see Avengers Endgame (one of two commercial cinema experiences I’ve had in the last six years), the cinema had recliners that seemed to “float” around 6-7” in the air. I took a mental note amidst the excitement of watching Endgame and put it in a list in the back of my mind that a high booster riser was ok.
So, one day I was chatting on the phone with my buddy
while my wife and I were upgrading our phones at Best Buy, and I was sharing my plans and concerns, and he very graciously offered to help.
FFWD a couple of months, and Doug did more than help.....he guided the entire build process and solved some pretty interesting challenges. For instance—we had to do do SIN calculations ........uh, I haven’t had to calculate SIN, COS, or TAN in the better part of the last two decades. The requirement hit me like a ton of bricks, and while I was scrambling to try to remember the SIN formula, Doug whipped out a browser-based scientific calculator after doing some drawing, and then we got to work. Here is the result! first pic is the final result. Also you'll see before/after POV shots as well.
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk