The Beast, Unleashed - Page 234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2730Likes

post #6991 of 7036 Old 01-16-2020, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1796
Congratulations very much deserved matt.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6992 of 7036 Old 01-16-2020, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Well deserved indeed. I think I smell dynasty, Patriots style.

In search of video bliss...
post #6993 of 7036 Old 01-16-2020, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
Congratulations very much deserved matt.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks very much. Nice to see such hard work pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post
Well deserved indeed. I think I smell dynasty, Patriots style.

LOL! Thanks, man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6994 of 7036 Old 01-16-2020, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Congrats Brother! Love this build! Love the finished product! Loved everything! Well deserved!!!!

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #6995 of 7036 Old 01-16-2020, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Wow, it's about time! Congrats Matt!
post #6996 of 7036 Old 01-16-2020, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiWega View Post
Wow, it's about time! Congrats Matt!

Thanks!!! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Congrats Brother! Love this build! Love the finished product! Loved everything! Well deserved!!!!

Glad you love the build and the final product! We use it all the time!

post #6997 of 7036 Old 01-16-2020, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Congrats!

Your theater is one of my inspirations for my diy build (the Dutch Confusion thread).

Great accomplishment after you’ve worked on this for so long!
post #6998 of 7036 Old 01-16-2020, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I've been following your build from the beginning (and well before) and want to congratulate you! You came a long way from your livingroom theater with a hole in the wall for the projector! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6999 of 7036 Old 01-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Nice build! How's the shield running for you on 4k? Do you get occasional lags after lets say, 5-6 hours of consecutive usage?
post #7000 of 7036 Old 01-17-2020, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahkhw View Post
Nice build! How's the shield running for you on 4k? Do you get occasional lags after lets say, 5-6 hours of consecutive usage?

Thanks! The Shield has been running very, very well! Running so well that I bought another one for the Dolby Atmos Gym I build right next door to the theater! Both pull from the same NAS. Cloud powered cinema at its finest! Zero lags, and I’ve used mine 8-10 hrs consistently anytime I telework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDISBEST View Post
I've been following your build from the beginning (and well before) and want to congratulate you! You came a long way from your livingroom theater with a hole in the wall for the projector! LOL

Haaa! Ah yes, the first theater! It brought me much joy for its time, but I had to take it up a notch for this theater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
Congrats!

Your theater is one of my inspirations for my diy build (the Dutch Confusion thread).

Great accomplishment after you’ve worked on this for so long!

So awesome—I love your baffle wall design! I’ll be following your build closely.

post #7001 of 7036 Old 01-17-2020, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh man just watched all your videos for the build, the final results look amazing. I have a bunch of questions but I want to read through the thread first to see if it might of all ready been asked. I do have one question because I see you watch movies and other content with the Nvidia shield like I do. How do you copy your 4K movies? Currently I have copied all my blurays to a computer and watch them with Kodi. I have an LG bluray player since 4K versions have the better soundtrack than the bluray version.
Also how do you create the demo clips you showed in some of your YouTube videos? I love that idea of showing off the best part of a movie that has amazing audio or visuals and would love to do that too.
post #7002 of 7036 Old 01-17-2020, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Well done Brolic. This award is most deserved.

Now sit back and enjoy for a while....& crank-up Dire Straits.
post #7003 of 7036 Old 01-18-2020, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Forgot to post a big congrats before I left for a trip to build a screen in a video studio. Your room definitely deserves the award! There aren't too many curved 16:9 screens out there, and while technically there isn't any reason to do it the end result is too cool. Your mojo levels are at least three sexy-magics/second higher.

The rest of the room is so well thought out that it deserves to be on the shelf of AVS home theaters from which others can learn a lot of best (Beast?) practices from.

Cheers,
Chris
BrolicBeast likes this.

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #7004 of 7036 Old 01-18-2020, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Congratulations! This is a well-deserved honor. The theater is amazing and you've shared so much with all of us here on AVS. What an inspiration.

Walking into that space though....

"You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the BEAST UNLEASHED!"

post #7005 of 7036 Old 01-18-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
 The other option, if you want to display your amps, is to DIY your own speaker wire. Here is the link for a low inductance speaker wire: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/Lo...peaker-Cables/.
At the bottom of the page, you can see how it compares to the expensive silly crap like Cardas that costs $500/ft.

This of course is just a suggestion, but I think the amps should be on display. It adds something that no one else is doing with their rooms.
While reading through the thread this post jumped out to me because I did something similar for my simple build. I had a bunch of in wall grade speaker wire left and thought the plain white sleeve looked dumb. Then I found a YouTube video where someone took basically the same materials and built their own custom looking cables. These cables go from my receiver to my surrounds and atmos speakers and I made some for my LCR speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	101
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	2672094  
kevin g. likes this.
post #7006 of 7036 Old 01-19-2020, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
While reading through the thread this post jumped out to me because I did something similar for my simple build. I had a bunch of in wall grade speaker wire left and thought the plain white sleeve looked dumb. Then I found a YouTube video where someone took basically the same materials and built their own custom looking cables. These cables go from my receiver to my surrounds and atmos speakers and I made some for my LCR speakers.
@Tatts4Life

How did you know what size wire jacket and cable pants to buy? I haven't been able to find anything definitive on sizes. I absolutely love this look. Please send links in a PM if possible...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #7007 of 7036 Old 01-19-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
@Tatts4Life

How did you know what size wire jacket and cable pants to buy? I haven't been able to find anything definitive on sizes. I absolutely love this look. Please send links in a PM if possible...
In the end it ended up being trial and error. If I remember right I initially followed links in a YouTube video and the cable pants were just a little bit too small so I went with 10mm cable pants so that the wire fit but also the white jacket that surrounds the in ceiling speaker cable. Let me see if I can find links to all the stuff I used for my build. Not sure how people feel about in ceiling rated wire and I'm sure there is better rated wire you could use but this is what I went with for my low cost build. I definitely plan on a build like BB when We get a house with a basement.

Here is a link to the video I followed for anyone interested.
kevin g. likes this.

Last edited by Tatts4Life; 01-19-2020 at 03:54 PM.
post #7008 of 7036 Old 01-19-2020, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Thank you very much!!

Sorry for the derail

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #7009 of 7036 Old 01-19-2020, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Goodness those look beautiful! I need to do this....I’ve actually been considering ways to clean up the wire situation leading to my power rack. I think I’ve found it!!!!

Quote:
Oh man just watched all your videos for the build, the final results look amazing. I have a bunch of questions but I want to read through the thread first to see if it might of all ready been asked. I do have one question because I see you watch movies and other content with the Nvidia shield like I do. How do you copy your 4K movies? Currently I have copied all my blurays to a computer and watch them with Kodi. I have an LG bluray player since 4K versions have the better soundtrack than the bluray version.

Also how do you create the demo clips you showed in some of your YouTube videos? I love that idea of showing off the best part of a movie that has amazing audio or visuals and would love to do that too.

Thanks so much for watching the entire build series. That means a lot, because YouTube is so different today than it was a few years ago. Everyone is vlogging about what they had for breakfast and which McLaren they feel like driving today. So thank you for watching them all!

MakeMKV is a program that allows importing of tons of discs. It works with 4K UHD discs and many others as well. The Demo clips are created with an amazing program called MKVtoolNix. It’s amazing—just add timestamps, and BOOM—demo clips created!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddy111dog View Post
Well done Brolic. This award is most deserved.

Now sit back and enjoy for a while....& crank-up Dire Straits.

Thank you very much! Oh I’ve turned my music up quite a bit, and quite often!!! I’ve never heard Dire Straits—but I feel like I’ve seen that mentioned enough over the years that I really should give it a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
Forgot to post a big congrats before I left for a trip to build a screen in a video studio. Your room definitely deserves the award! There aren't too many curved 16:9 screens out there, and while technically there isn't any reason to do it the end result is too cool. Your mojo levels are at least three sexy-magics/second higher.

The rest of the room is so well thought out that it deserves to be on the shelf of AVS home theaters from which others can learn a lot of best (Beast?) practices from.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks, Chris! [email protected]/second lolol. Beast Practices! Lol...another classic. I’m hoping the thread is helpful for a while (at least until Holograms replace home cinemas) and thank you for my screen! I’ve been eyeing that TAM-4 screen we spoke about a few years ago though....but that’s a different story for a different day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CintiAudio View Post
Congratulations! This is a well-deserved honor. The theater is amazing and you've shared so much with all of us here on AVS. What an inspiration.

Walking into that space though....

"You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the BEAST UNLEASHED!"

Ahhhhh LOVE THAT LAST QUOTE!!!!! **cue music**

Thank you for the very kind words on the room and it’s been (and continues to be) a joy to share this passion with other like-minded folks!

post #7010 of 7036 Old 01-19-2020, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7784 Post(s)
Liked: 17667
Holding court, baby!

kevin j, mikela, DigiWega and 2 others like this.

post #7011 of 7036 Old 01-19-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Goodness those look beautiful! I need to do this....I’ve actually been considering ways to clean up the wire situation leading to my power rack. I think I’ve found it!!!!

Thanks so much for watching the entire build series. That means a lot, because YouTube is so different today than it was a few years ago. Everyone is vlogging about what they had for breakfast and which McLaren they feel like driving today. So thank you for watching them all!

MakeMKV is a program that allows importing of tons of discs. It works with 4K UHD discs and many others as well. The Demo clips are created with an amazing program called MKVtoolNix. It’s amazing—just add timestamps, and BOOM—demo clips created!
Your welcome. I love watching build videos all the time. I'm constantly wanting to learn how to build or make things from speaker cables and building an amazing home theater to how to build my own offset smoker. I'm even watching a home improvement show right now while I type this.

Those cables were super simple to make. First one took maybe 10 minutes. By the end I was able to make one in less than 5 minutes. I'll post a photo of what the back of my entertainment center looks like now that I have all the cables organized. I use to be an electrician and and nice clean cable runs look so good to me.

I actually have MakeMKV. I use it to copy all my bluray's and DVD's. Up until recently I didn't know it could also copy 4K movies now. Back a few years ago it sounded like a bunch of hoops to jump through and even then your disc might not work.

As for making clips, I googled after making that post and someone said Handbrake works too. I'll check out MKVtoolNix. It would be really cool to have clips to demo 4K content on our tv or Atmos soundtracks from our Denon avr-X6300H.
post #7012 of 7036 Old 01-21-2020, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your welcome. I love watching build videos all the time. I'm constantly wanting to learn how to build or make things from speaker cables and building an amazing home theater to how to build my own offset smoker. I'm even watching a home improvement show right now while I type this.

Those cables were super simple to make. First one took maybe 10 minutes. By the end I was able to make one in less than 5 minutes. I'll post a photo of what the back of my entertainment center looks like now that I have all the cables organized. I use to be an electrician and and nice clean cable runs look so good to me.

I actually have MakeMKV. I use it to copy all my bluray's and DVD's. Up until recently I didn't know it could also copy 4K movies now. Back a few years ago it sounded like a bunch of hoops to jump through and even then your disc might not work.

As for making clips, I googled after making that post and someone said Handbrake works too. I'll check out MKVtoolNix. It would be really cool to have clips to demo 4K content on our tv or Atmos soundtracks from our Denon avr-X6300H.

There are certainly hoops to be jumped through to make it possible, but the end result is so worth it. There’s a thread on the subject—I’ll try to send you the link once I’m on a computer (it’s a bit clumsy to do so using the Tapatalk app, which I otherwise love).

10 mins per cable is not bad for building cables of that caliber. I’m definitely going to do something similar when the time comes to fully tidy up the equipment room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Holding court, baby!

LOL....that pic is now an instant classic! Long Live the Cinema!!!

post #7013 of 7036 Old 01-21-2020, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I did something glorious yesterday that I have not done since having children: I watched movies all day. Managed to get four movies in: Gemini Man, Isoken, The King, and Gravity.

Gemini Man’s picture quality was astounding—so many people complain about the high refresh rate, but I loved it here just as in Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk. Great picture quality—like, possibly the best I’ve ever seen in a movie (not sure if it’s the refresh rate hangover talking).

Isoken was a great movie on Netflix.....watched it with the wife and we know people undergoing the struggle of the titular character (desiring to start a family) so we were in her corner the whole movie.

The King......this movie surprised me with how good it was. Based on Shakespeare’s Henriad, I absolutely loved the script and it unfolded well as a drama punctuated with some action.

Gravity....still amazing. I had not watched the full movie start to finish since we saw it in the theaters in 2013 (our first Atmos movie ever)....but wow....what a movie! Experiencing in The Beast had some consequences......

I thought to myself “oh, it’s in space—-I can turn this up to 7db above reference”.......

Once things started to hit the fan and that bass started pulsating.....a longtime cherished piece of glass sculpture that was recently placed on our mantle danced itself to the edge and decided to jump off to its demise. As I always say with soundproofing is, you may not hear much, if anything above, but the bass energy is hard to avoid “feeling” right above the theater once playback is at reference. Our mantle felt it, and the glass sculpture decided the world was too cruel to go on wasting its days upon that mantle.

post #7014 of 7036 Old 01-21-2020, 05:10 AM

OH MAN I bet Gravity looked and sounded amazing on your system. I watched it on my old measly 37" 1080p tv with just a 7.1 system and two up firing ATMOS speakers and it sounded cool and gave me mild panic attacks. A screen like yours and above reference my blood pressure would be through the roof during a few scenes.

So I did some research and found a nice disc drive for my computer. After a few extra steps I am now in the last few minutes of copying my 4K Black Panther movie as a test. Fingers crossed it will look just like it does with my LG 4K player. If it works awesome I will now have all my movies available at a push of a button. That will also free up an HDMI port for something else, PS5 or Nintendo Switch. Unfortunately that will of been about $100 wasted on the player.
post #7015 of 7036 Old 01-21-2020, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OH MAN I bet Gravity looked and sounded amazing on your system. I watched it on my old measly 37" 1080p tv with just a 7.1 system and two up firing ATMOS speakers and it sounded cool and gave me mild panic attacks. A screen like yours and above reference my blood pressure would be through the roof during a few scenes.

So I did some research and found a nice disc drive for my computer. After a few extra steps I am now in the last few minutes of copying my 4K Black Panther movie as a test. Fingers crossed it will look just like it does with my LG 4K player. If it works awesome I will now have all my movies available at a push of a button. That will also free up an HDMI port for something else, PS5 or Nintendo Switch. Unfortunately that will of been about $100 wasted on the player.

Man it was quite the experience! It was far more exciting than I remember it. 7 years is a long time to go without watching such a masterpiece.

Glad you got the right drive and have taken steps to start your 4k digital collection. It will be a bit-perfect file (discs are only containers for the file, so importing it simply copies the file to another container—your hard drive) and you’re in for a huge change in how you manage your media!

post #7016 of 7036 Old 01-23-2020, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I was on YouTube yesterday and my recommended videos suggested "The Beast, Unleashed" and I recognized it instantly as this month's Home theater of the month!

I had looked at your theater when it was featured but I am sorry to say I somehow completely missed the fact that you have YouTube videos on it. I am now proceeding to watch the whole build series. I feel there are far too few VIDEOS on people's theater builds so i was very excited to see those videos.

Congrats on getting theater of the month and congrats on your fantastic theater!
post #7017 of 7036 Old 01-23-2020, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Congrats! I followed your build closely and appreciated the effort that went into your build. Happy your setup is getting the recognition it deserved

llang269 likes this.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #7018 of 7036 Old 01-23-2020, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 174
@BrolicBeast

Forgive me if this has been explained somewhere but I gotta ask, what was the space in your home that became this theater? I can't tell from your YouTube videos but it looks like it's basically an entire floor of your home! It's amazing, in any case.

Also what became of the room you were originally considering for the equipment room?

Last edited by zeonstar; 01-23-2020 at 11:29 PM.
post #7019 of 7036 Old 01-23-2020, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Hey man congrats! The theater looks amazing! And another Youtuber... Gonna have to go watch the build now. Always fun seeing the process behind the builds

Blister64 Full Basement Build Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva XPA-DR3 Gen 3 | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | DIY Sound Group Ported 1299 TMWW Front Stage | DIY SG Volt 10 Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Three Stereo Integrity HS-24 mkIII's sealed | Sinbosen FP20000Q
YouTube Channel for builds and reviews Life Of Bliss YouTube
post #7020 of 7036 Old 01-24-2020, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blister64 View Post
Hey man congrats! The theater looks amazing! And another Youtuber... Gonna have to go watch the build now. Always fun seeing the process behind the builds

Thanks a bunch! Def give it a watch and let me know if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
Congrats! I followed your build closely and appreciated the effort that went into your build. Happy your setup is getting the recognition it deserved

My man! Thanks so much for following and i def appreciate the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I was on YouTube yesterday and my recommended videos suggested "The Beast, Unleashed" and I recognized it instantly as this month's Home theater of the month!

I had looked at your theater when it was featured but I am sorry to say I somehow completely missed the fact that you have YouTube videos on it. I am now proceeding to watch the whole build series. I feel there are far too few VIDEOS on people's theater builds so i was very excited to see those videos.

Congrats on getting theater of the month and congrats on your fantastic theater!
Thank you! And yessss...i have YouTube videos on this theater, my previous theater, and my starter theater (LCD display w/ 5.1). O totally agree on there being barely any videos on theater builds...that was actually the main driver behind shooting the build series!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
@BrolicBeast

Forgive me if this has been explained somewhere but I gotta ask, what was the space in your home that became this theater? I can't tell from your YouTube videos but it looks like it's basically an entire floor of your home! It's amazing, in any case.

Also what became of the room you were originally considering for the equipment room?

In terms of square footage, I’d say the theater is maybe 60% of the basement. That original planned equipment room ended up becoming a Dolby Atmos Gym (build thread on AVS is called The Gym, Unleashed”)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page