The Beast, Unleashed - Page 235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2730Likes

post #7021 of 7035 Old 01-24-2020, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
In terms of square footage, I’d say the theater is maybe 60% of the basement. That original planned equipment room ended up becoming a Dolby Atmos Gym (build thread on AVS is called The Gym, Unleashed”)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Appreciate the reply, thank you. I am about halfway through the video series. Absolutely love it taking shape. I will definitely have to watch the Gym series!

So the space was just an finished basement that you essentially gutted and made into a theater. Awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 7035 Old 01-24-2020, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Man it was quite the experience! It was far more exciting than I remember it. 7 years is a long time to go without watching such a masterpiece.

Glad you got the right drive and have taken steps to start your 4k digital collection. It will be a bit-perfect file (discs are only containers for the file, so importing it simply copies the file to another container—your hard drive) and you’re in for a huge change in how you manage your media!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
So after ripping Black Panther I went to check it out using Kodi and it looked really washed out. Turns out it was just a flip of a switch in Kodi and things look just like the 4K. I love that it even gives the poster art a 4K case and a 4K logo. It even tells me if the movie is an Atmos track. I even found downloads for Atmos and DTS:X demos which is awesome.
UNFORTUNATELY the disc drive has given me errors or not been able to open 5 movies two being Guardians of the galaxy vol. 2 and Avengers Endgame. I've read that it could be a bad disc drive and just get a replacement or even buy a second one because if a movie doesn't work on one drive it might on another.

Since I'm still catching up on this amazing thread, on page 50 of now 235, you mention that you watch movies at reference level. What do you consider reference level? I've read that at home it's considered 75bd and theaters are higher at I think 85db.
post #7023 of 7035 Old 01-24-2020, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Beast,

Long time no comment. Congrats on the HTOTM. I thoroughly enjoyed watching your theater take shape over the years. It looks amazing and I’m happy you got the recognition. Your basement space is what I’m looking for as my wife and I are currently house hunting. You gave me great ideas as to what is possible. I look forward to any upgrades you do in the future.

It won’t do the sound justice but check out my YouTube channel with my set up
If you have the time:

https://youtu.be/AWOB0AB71Cw

I upgraded to PSA speakers for LCR and I am still rocking SVS subs. Its not on the
same level as your gear but I couldn’t ask for more than effortless reference level playback levels like the PSA speakers can deliver. I can only aspire to have a space like yours one day. Hopefully in the next house I can have a blank canvas like you and achieve my ultimate dream.

Congrats again man! Your theater is amazing and I’ll be watching for any upgrades you do!

Chris

PSA MTM 210T, PSA MTM210C, Tsi 200'sDenon AVR 3300WSilver Ticket 92'' 16;9 White ScreenBenq HT2050 Projector, Nintendo Switch,Panasonic DMP-BDT 210SVS PB-4000Auralex MoPAD Paragon 4oz Theater Pop Popcorn MachineLogitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7024 of 7035 Old 01-28-2020, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

@BrolicBeast

Another question for you. Do you by chance now whereabouts in this thread you began the change to the Nvidia shield? I'd love to read about that. And see the picture of your media rack after you removed all your sources.
post #7025 of 7035 Old 01-28-2020, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
@BrolicBeast

Another question for you. Do you by chance now whereabouts in this thread you began the change to the Nvidia shield? I'd love to read about that. And see the picture of your media rack after you removed all your sources.
Check out Post#6800 from Nov 1, 2018. Going to take a pic of the rack tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #7026 of 7035 Old 01-29-2020, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Check out Post#6800 from Nov 1, 2018. Going to take a pic of the rack tomorrow!

Thank you very much! I appreciate it. Looking forward to the photo!

While I have you, can you recommend any other members who have a video build series like you? I know we touched on this briefly as to how there just aren't many videos on theater builds but was hoping you may know a few.

Could not of enjoyed your video series more. I was sad when I caught up. It was like binging a TV series!
post #7027 of 7035 Old 01-29-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
The theater has been fully functional for the last two years; however, there has always been something that I’ve wanted to “fix” about it: the rear row seating height.  Heretofore, I needed to lower the front row of seats in order to get a clear line of sight to the bottom of the massive 16:9 screen.  The wife and I always use the front row, but when it’s just me in the theater, my front-row/rear-row selection has been split about 50/50 depending on what the viewing will be (YouTube? Rear.....4K Movie? Front....etc.). But I’ve always wanted better sight lines from the rear row.  None of this was a surprise—my home cinema engineering drawing calls for a booster riser, although it’s much smaller than the one we built (yes, “we”...more on this later!)

First thing first—figuring out how high the riser needed to be.  Well, after trial and error using hard foam gym noise silencer pads (so tough, they don’t compress under body weight, only the weight of massive barbells being dropped on them)...I managed to find out the required booster riser height: 7.5”.

Pick your jaws off the floor—that number scared me too, until I realized something—when I went to see Avengers Endgame (one of two commercial cinema experiences I’ve had in the last six years), the cinema had recliners that seemed to “float” around 6-7” in the air.   I took a mental note amidst the excitement of watching Endgame and put it in a list in the back of my mind that a high booster riser was ok. 

So, one day I was chatting on the phone with my buddy @DougUSMC while my wife and I were upgrading our phones at Best Buy, and I was sharing my plans and concerns, and he very graciously offered to help.

FFWD a couple of months, and Doug did more than help.....he guided the entire build process and solved some pretty interesting challenges.  For instance—we had to do do SIN calculations ........uh, I haven’t had to calculate SIN, COS, or TAN in the better part of the last two decades. The requirement hit me like a ton of bricks, and while I was scrambling to try to remember the SIN formula, Doug whipped out a browser-based scientific calculator after doing some drawing, and then we got to work.  Here is the result! first pic is the final result. Also you'll see before/after POV shots as well.

Taking notes for the future when I finally have a home with a basement. Step one look for a home with high ceilings in the basement.
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #7028 of 7035 Old 01-29-2020, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Thank you very much! I appreciate it. Looking forward to the photo!

While I have you, can you recommend any other members who have a video build series like you? I know we touched on this briefly as to how there just aren't many videos on theater builds but was hoping you may know a few.

Could not of enjoyed your video series more. I was sad when I caught up. It was like binging a TV series!
Hey man, the only other one I know is Bateman a few posts above.

I'm super glad you liked the whole series! Hopefully there are gems in there you'll find helpful!

And as promised, here's the pic of the rack (excuse the mess--rack room is 9x10 and is currently storage until I figure out a garage storage setup I can live with.

post #7029 of 7035 Old 01-29-2020, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@Tatts4Life yes sir! In my area (Southern MD), 9 and 10ft ceilings are rare for basements.

post #7030 of 7035 Old 01-29-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
@Tatts4Life yes sir! In my area (Southern MD), 9 and 10ft ceilings are rare for basements.

I live in Montgomery County and I don't think I've ever seen a basement over 8 feet. Recently I've been trying to find floor plans for houses in our neighborhood that have basements and have found nothing. For research of course.
I'm on page 84 when you mentioned Monoprice CL2 12AWG speaker cable. I used the same stuff in that photo I posted earlier where I made my cables look more custom.
post #7031 of 7035 Old 01-30-2020, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey man, the only other one I know is Bateman a few posts above.

I'm super glad you liked the whole series! Hopefully there are gems in there you'll find helpful!

And as promised, here's the pic of the rack (excuse the mess--rack room is 9x10 and is currently storage until I figure out a garage storage setup I can live with.

Thanks for the info and photo.
BrolicBeast and wilfredent like this.
post #7032 of 7035 Old 02-03-2020, 08:11 PM

Edit: Nevermind I see my question was answered a page or two later. Still catching up. About 30 pages to go

Last edited by Tatts4Life; 02-03-2020 at 08:27 PM.
post #7033 of 7035 Old 02-04-2020, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
Edit: Nevermind I see my question was answered a page or two later. Still catching up. About 30 pages to go
I was just about to post the link. Glad you found it!

post #7034 of 7035 Old 02-05-2020, 07:07 AM

WOW just spent the last 2-3 week reading through this AMAZING thread and I learned so many things for whenever my wife and I can finally find a house we love with a decent basement. I do have several questions I hope you can answer. I also have a few comments about things I read.

First congrats on a second girl. I have two girls also 18 and 14. Mine are 4 years apart so it was a little easier than what you are going through. But man once that hit a certain age where they are potty trained and don't need you for help going to the bathroom in the middle of the night it gets so much better. Then once they get to a point where they want to make their own breakfast having that little bit of extra time to sleep in on the weekend is awesome.

How did you get started on your planning for the HT? I know some of the design was limited because of duct work or I beams so you could only go so wide. But did you decide on the length because you wanted to go as deep as possible?

At what point would you contact someone about room treatment, did you do that before you started building your HT?

I was going to ask How do you use iRule and Harmony together. Then I saw what you posted that iRule was shutting down. Sucks iRule is no more because I loved the idea of customized buttons. I would love to know how you have Harmony setup for your system. I have the Harmony Hub and use my phone or iPad as the remote. I also use my Echo Dot to turn things on. I can even tell it "Alexa turn on the Caps game" and it will turn on my TV, turn on my Denon avr-x3600h receiver, Turn on my fios STB and change the channel to the game. If the game is on another channel I have a phrase for that channel.

A silly question but the massive layers of drywall got me wondering, With all the drywall and treatments how is cellphone signal? My in-laws normal basement is like a faraday cage and they have a normal basement.

When do you think you'll do another G2G? Have you tried your hands at making custom cables yet? I think I have scraps leftover from when I made my custom speaker cables. I could show what it looks like at the next G2G if you have one.

Now a few comments about things I read in the thread.
Transformers the last knight sucks because they couldn't stick with one aspect ratio in one scene. At one point it switches back and forth 5 times in one scene. In one video you post how your system can switch between 16:9 and 23:5 but the screen would go black for a second while your system switched aspect ratios. Like I said earlier With Transformers The Last Knight when they are talking in the library learning about Merlin it switches back and forth at least 5 times. Which makes no sense at all it's not like it was an action scene.

Wish I had found this thread back when you started ripping movies with MakeMKV. I could of helped when it came to figuring out which was the Atmos soundtrack. Also with the invention of 4K discs movie companies have moved Atmos and DTS:X away from Blu-ray and now almost exclusively use it with 4K discs. So to answer a several year old question, Yes if I have a 4K version and a Blu-ray version I would rip the 4K version because it has the superior soundtrack.

Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I might suggest that an entire forum thread should be dedicated to just individual demo scenes from movies for various categories: (1) mid bass slam; (2) overall bass; (3) envelopment; (4) vocals; (5) overall performance (this David Foster BR could be included in several categories); (6) video quality; (7) use of height speakers; .........
While not nearly as detailed as what you're talking about I've also started thinking that there should be a thread on here documenting peoples favorite parts of a movie. But I was thinking people could post their favorite visual part of a movie or favorite audio part of a movie and give a description about what to look or listen for. For example Black Panther- 4K both visual and Atmos at 19:11 in the movie the chapter where T'Challa goes through the ritual to become the new king. Visually the robes that all the tribes are wearing look amazing in 4K. Audio wise the Atmos speakers and subs get a work out when M'Baku and his tribe are chanting and come to challenge for the right to be king
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #7035 of 7035 Old 04-12-2020, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Hi, sorry if this has already been mentioned, but what did you end up doing for treating the left and right side of your screen?

I can see that the acoustic plans mentions either 100% absorb or ~50% absorb depending on focus vs. envelopement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page