Current Flat Black Paint vs Velvet - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pain Infliction

post #1 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking for the Benjamin Moore Collection F215-80 Flat Black which has been referenced in earlier threads, but I can't seem to find it on their website. Any updated opinions or experiences with this vs the Rosco paint?

Another idea for around the screen area is to use velvet rather than paint, any suggestions or comments? Drywall starting today, and I need to really commit to something.

Thanks in advance to all of you for the fantastic ideas, builds and feedback.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 166
definitely go with the velvet. It will absorb all of the reflections from the screen whereas the flat black will still reflect light from the screen and detract from the image. How far out from the screen you want to go is up to you. I go out about 5' with my outbuilding theater.

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702,Yamaha RX-A3050, Yamaha RX-Z9, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Panasonic UC420, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
post #3 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 112
My two-cents worth on this is only worth about half a cent... but, disregarding all the light-reflecting properties (or lack of them), I dread flat paint because it marks up so easily even with the slightest touch. I've seen so many ceilings with streaks on them from just taking a broom to clean off spider webs.

I do understand that there is a brand of flat paint that has some enamel in it, which cuts down on the streaks.

Again... my opinion isn't worth much, but that would bother me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions on applications to adhere to walls and ceiling (staple, affix to thin panels, etc.)?
post #5 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 11:49 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5843 Post(s)
Liked: 5415
To offer a suggestion would be shooting in the dark............ We need to know specific locations and dimensions.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

True Big….. about 3 feet to each side of screen, 34" bottom of screen and 6-8" on top. I'm thinking of coming out about 36" on
ceiling, side walls and possibly of doing some sort of stage treatment for floor. My idea is to try and create the black box effect around the screen while stile having the WAF in play.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 01:40 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

this front wall is black fabric on four wood frames made off wall and positioned with Velcro. for more pics hit the staggered wall link in my signature

The side walls are also ALL panels made off wall.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

That looks awesome, would you suggest similar technique for ceiling and side walls?

Big thanks for your input, I always consider your responses to be thoughtful and direct.
Just wish I could have afforded to have you come out to the Seattle area. There's always
HT #2.

Jeff
post #9 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 02:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Yes you can do the same on any surface, just need more thought on how to get it to stick to the ceiling.

here is my ceiling, 2 two inch thick panel stuffed with linacoustic covered with GOM FR701 black fabric Lifted into place and secured with liquid nails up front and a couple of screws in back out of sight.

post #10 of 13 Old 11-16-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 2272
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

My two-cents worth on this is only worth about half a cent... but, disregarding all the light-reflecting properties (or lack of them), I dread flat paint because it marks up so easily even with the slightest touch. I've seen so many ceilings with streaks on them from just taking a broom to clean off spider webs.

I do understand that there is a brand of flat paint that has some enamel in it, which cuts down on the streaks.

Again... my opinion isn't worth much, but that would bother me.

I second this. I currently have Benjamin Moore flat black in my current theater and even when I instinctively rest my hand on the wall, a mark shows up that cannot be removed. I'm staring at a knuckle print from a 7 second banana plug insertion activity from mid-2012. I'll never use flat black again.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 112
One thing that I learned from Mario, when I marked up his ceiling (ahem - which is where I discovered this problem)... is to take a dry, soft, descent sized paint brush and lightly feather around and into the marked area. He was able to get the marks to look not nearly as noticeable... and he was very nice about the marks. Needless to say, I learned a valuable lesson about flat paint, and if you have it... it needs to babied.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 04:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

On this paint topic, Behr has flat and flat enamel. If the area is going to be touched a lot use the flat enamel. with that you can wipe away misc marks with a micro fiber cloth. It is more reflective, but is also more forgiving. I've also had some success wiping the Rosco brand flat black with a micro fiber cloth.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 515
If you get the Benjamin Moore black paint, get the matte finish. This is the paint that I have. It does not streak or ash like the flat does. I personally think the there is not a better quality paint out there than the Aura by BM. I painted my entire theater that color before I started to put panels on the wall for treatments and velvet panels on the screen wall. I agree with the others that velvet is the way to go. Not only can it take away reflections completely, but it is darker as well. There really is a night and day difference between having the wall painted black or having velvet panels.
cemo62 likes this.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page