The Dreamatorium [13x19ft room] - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tmavs
  • 1 Post By Phantom Stranger

post #1 of 25 Old 11-26-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dreamatorium - I'm a big fan of the TV series Community. The Dreamatorium was a virtual play room where they could do anything they wanted, limited only by their imaginations.

Inspiration comes from hundreds of build threads on this site and other HT related sites. A special mention goes out to Rich's Variable Image Size Theater - Build Thread

Build highlights:
Projector: Sony HW55
Screen: 144" diagonal 2.35 AT (to be confirmed)
Speakers: MK Sound M7 LCR and M4T Tripoles

Projector is here:

Rockwool temporarily placed:

Build start date: 30th of November
Deadline: 24th of December
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Google sketchup of the room

It took a few hours to empty the room.

Front wall with temp screen size masking

Back wall. DIY 15" sub under wraps because I'd rather not move it ... ever wink.gif

The left wall of windows. Window plugs removed

Another window, yet to be plugged.

End of day 1... progress made on left column/corner trap
post #3 of 25 Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

I've been doing a bad job of keeping this thread up to date frown.gif Let's try to fix that wink.gif

Like so many other builds, the deadline will be missed. I decided to make the screen wall movable because it will block part of the room doorway. Since it won't get any support from the surrounding walls it needed to be built sturdier and I underestimated the amount of supplies required. I was also out of action for around 10 days due to the common cold, getting more depressed at the lack of progress.

There is no new deadline because I need to also appreciate the build process instead of just the end result.

Back to progress pictures.

The Rockwool dimensions are 1000x600mm instead of the usual 1200x600mm. If I cut them into triangles for the corner traps I'll have some 500mm and 600mm sided triangles.

I did some more reading about corner traps and found that I didn't have to cut triangles! I'll be stacking rectangles in there eek.gif

On Dec 6th, the MK Sound speakers arrived

Screen wall 75% done

Four frames for the ceiling acoustic treatment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 01-01-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Equipment rack
post #5 of 25 Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

I found an interesting method to cutting the Rockwool boards into equal sized triangles. I'm not sure if it's worth the added effort.

Source: http://www.samplecraze.com/tutorials/home-studio-acoustic-treatment-part-3
post #6 of 25 Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Screen frame temporarily in place and little speaker stands

Speakers stands are built from left over materials. They don't have to look pretty wink.gif

I'm building rear speaker brackets because I can't find a place with them in stock or at a reasonable price. And I like building stuff. At the heart of the bracket will be a furniture levelling and pivot foot.

This wooden bracket will be screwed to the wall.

The pivot foot will be screwed into the T-nut and will allow 30 degree range of movement.

This will be glued (with epoxy) to the pivot foot. The M5 speaker will be mounted onto this bracket.

The frame for the ceiling acoustic treatment.

I glued these blocks of wood to the frame. I will secure the Rockwool to these blocks with screws and fender washers. I could have screwed them directly to the frame but I didn't want to compromise the strength of the frame.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-22-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Wrapping the frame with fabric (Trilobal polyester)

Rockwool will go into both columns and on the top shelf between the columns.

post #8 of 25 Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

I wasn't looking forward to working with Rockwool due to the number of complaints I've read about skin irritations. But working with it went fairly smoothly and the biggest problem I had was the safety goggles fogging up. Cutting it was a breeze with a plain old wood saw (no electric carving knife needed biggrin.gif)

Treatment dimensions are 30x30cm where possible. On the sides I had to make it a bit smaller to accommodate the screen frame.

Next up will be the cloud ceiling treatment.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looks good so far. I like Community as well. I look forward to watching your progress smile.gif
post #10 of 25 Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Replaced the chandelier (see post #2) with 4 down lights.

The beginning of the ceiling clouds... the first major problems and also the reason for the lack of updates...

I built four frames but had problems drilling into the concrete ceiling frown.gif I drilled holes for the two outer hooks but could only drill a centimetre into the middle of the ceiling. I tried various spots around the middle but my drill was not up to the job.

New plan, glue two frames together which would then hang by the two outer hooks. I was concerned about the middle sagging but added some reinforcement that I hoped would work.

Did a trial run of hanging the frames before attaching the Rockwool.

Rockwool screwed to the front of the frame.

post #11 of 25 Old 03-08-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
looking good... i have about same size room ~13' 4" x 18' 10" and just started on mine a little while ago.
post #12 of 25 Old 03-10-2014, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

That's one ceiling frame done.

Rear shot of the frame being wrapped.

These boards will be painted black and attached to the perimeter of the frame. They will also hold the down lights.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

These frames are heavy and difficult to move eek.gif Not a one man job. After hanging the the first frame, I notice a few problems. Firstly, because each sheet of Rockwool is screwed to the front of the frame it, the weight of the Rockwool causes some sagging. Secondly, the entire frame sags in the middle because there are no chains supporting it. Happy days frown.gif

The second frame I built differently with the Rockwool on top of the frame. This was not my first choice because I wanted to maximise the surface area of the exposed Rockwool. Second frame done and wrapped, looks good. Ask my SO to help moving it and a few minutes later she storms off and I'm left hanging. Alrighty then, next up we have a new Worlds Strongest Man event, "Shoulder Press a Ceiling Cloud" while climbing a ladder and secure a chain to hook biggrin.gif

Good news: This frame doesn't have any of the sagging issues that frame 1 had.
Bad news: Unhook frame 1 from the ceiling, unwrap and move Rockwool to the rear of the frame.

Fast forword a bit, repeat the Strongman Event and finally two frames hanging from the ceiling. The total area they cover is: 4x3m [13x9.8ft]

I'm still a bit concerned that there are only four hooks holding it place and that I will be seated underneath it. The sag in frame 1 has improved but as seen above is not acceptable. My solution is to epoxy a block of wood to the ceiling to act as a hook. Let the glue cure for 24 hours and I'm pleasantly surprised that it holds.

Glue two more blocks to hold the other frames. Four days later the ceiling plaster for wooden block 1 fails eek.gif
post #14 of 25 Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

One of the wooden blocks with the plaster still attached to it. The plaster failed, not the epoxy glue.

I was trying to avoid buying a new drill, to keep the budget down and I wasn't even sure that the new drill would be able to drill into the concrete. After a bit of research I found that SDS/Rotary hammer drills were recommended for drilling into concrete. I bought a Bosch Rotary hammer drill. It's reasonably priced and also weighs only 2.2KG (compared to 3.5 to 5KG) which would make drilling overhead a bit easier.

After work that same day, I successfully drilled into the concrete ceiling biggrin.gif The drill is very quiet and almost vibration free. It's a bit mind boggling because you cant feel the drill fighting you. When you look up there's a hole in the ceiling and a mess on the floor wink.gif That night I unhooked the one side of each frame and got the hooks secured. At last the ceiling is secure.

But there's still a few finishing touches needed:
1. There is a little gap where the two frames butt together. This is caused by the bowed wood used to make the frame.
2. There is also a seam in the black material that runs down the middle of the two frames.

1. Solved by cutting a strip of cardboard (that will run the width of the frame) and wrapped in black material. I then velcro'd the cardboard strip in place to hide the gap.

2. On another visit to the fabric store, browsing every isle for the right fabric, I happened upon a black sequenced organza fabric. I wasn't planning on using it but I had an idea to overlay it down the middle of the ceiling. It would hide the seam and I'd also have a budget star ceiling.

In the pic below, arrows point to the cardboard wrapped strip in the middle. The arrow at the far end shows the wood strips that I painted and then screwed around the border of the frame. If you look closely, you'll notice the side of the wood strips is not painted. I will have to touch up these areas.

The camera flash makes the stars light up wink.gif

A shot of the back of the room. The projector will be shelf mounted.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
nice job so far man, good luck with your build

My own build: https://www.avsforum.com/t/1514892/th...ted-ht-project
Panasonic PT-AT6000, Denon X4000, Focal 716-700CC-700SR, SVS PB-1000
post #16 of 25 Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Loving those MK boxes, you must be itching to huts them open
post #17 of 25 Old 03-16-2014, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon View Post

Loving those MK boxes, you must be itching to huts them open
Thanks for the comments.

I couldn't wait so I used them for a day in the TV room biggrin.gif They are now packed away again but it's a great incentive to get this room finished.
post #18 of 25 Old 03-26-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Made progress on the screen. I used O-rings and eyelets to secure the fabric.

The M7 speakers in place before the screen goes up.

Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Sometimes you can spend a lot time working but there's not much to show for it. The end is near and over the next two days the pace quickens up.

I put the screen in place.

With that out of the way, I get the room cleaned out and get to work on the rear speaker brackets.

The rear speaker hasn't fallen (yet) eek.gif time for the projector to come in.

I test the audio and video, it works smile.gif With some help I get the couches moved in.

Watching Gravity was amazing. You can definitely feel the visual impact of being lost in space.

The room is not finished but it's usable. Still to do:
- I'm waiting for the fabric store to get more stock of the Trilobal fabric to cover the area below the screen.
- Finish screen masking
- The projector shelf and cabling needs some attention.
- Room audio setup with REW. Purchase UMIK-1 and/or Galaxy CM140
post #20 of 25 Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Great lookin room. I have a question, what have you done about ventilation/ cooling in the room?
post #21 of 25 Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Great lookin room. I have a question, what have you done about ventilation/ cooling in the room?
Thanks smile.gif

I don't have any cooling in the room. I hope it's something I don't regret doing. The window plugs can be easily removed to air out the room.
post #22 of 25 Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmavs View Post

Thanks smile.gif

I don't have any cooling in the room. I hope it's something I don't regret doing. The window plugs can be easily removed to air out the room.

Do you mean that there is no ventilation period in the room? Or just that you did not add a cooling duct? Was there existing supply and return vents in the room?

If there is zero cooling the room will probably eventually get hot depending on how many people are watching and how hot your projector is. I am not terribly familiar with your climate. I can tell you that my room can get hot after a couple of hours even in the middle of the winter when it is 20-30 F on the average.

Many people use a mini split like the ones from Mitsubishi to get the required air exchanges for their space if they do not have adequate ventilation for one reason or another.

I like the plugs on your windows. They look great and appear as though they belong in the room just like a design element.
post #23 of 25 Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Do you mean that there is no ventilation period in the room? Or just that you did not add a cooling duct? Was there existing supply and return vents in the room?

If there is zero cooling the room will probably eventually get hot depending on how many people are watching and how hot your projector is. I am not terribly familiar with your climate. I can tell you that my room can get hot after a couple of hours even in the middle of the winter when it is 20-30 F on the average.

Many people use a mini split like the ones from Mitsubishi to get the required air exchanges for their space if they do not have adequate ventilation for one reason or another.

I meant that there are no cooling ducts. In South Africa, it's not the norm for homes to have a central cooling system. I've watched TV in this room before converting it and the temperature wasn't too bad. I'll start investigating split A/C units and air purifiers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant 
I like the plugs on your windows. They look great and appear as though they belong in the room just like a design element.

Thanks for the comments smile.gif
post #24 of 25 Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Kill Bill Vol.2 - Esteban

post #25 of 25 Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 622
It looks like a nice home theater. The screen size is impressive.
tmavs likes this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page