I have had a week of connected time including weekends in both July and August to myself. So, of course I spent all my time in the theater! I have been able to complete the soundproofing treatments to my bulkhead (HVAC, plbg, elec, etc), build/install my decoupled projector box, sheet the ceiling with OSB layer, insulate the whole room with R11, sheet nearly all the walls with OSB, AND design, build, install my deadvents. I must say, it is starting to look like something...
Here are some pictures of my progress to date in each major area.
This is a double layer assy I made using essentially scraps of OSB, hardwood, and DW in order to use up stuff I had handy. I used GG between layers and then acoustical caulking from soundproofing company to seal all seams. Features include a 2" conduit (empty for future use) routed into the box, a power outlet mounted to the top surface, and then all cabling to the projector routes through the opposite end from the conduit. I used caulking and electricians putty to seal up all entry points into the box and then RSIC-DC04 clips to isolate form the houses joists.
These things, simply put, are monsters! I designed them in 3d to get a sense of size and how they might fit best into my "dead" space (pun intended) on what will be the right side of my theater. It is a space about 19" in depth, so space was tight for building a DD/GG box around a Fantech FG6XL fan. I ended up with a box with finished dimensions of about 17"x31"x66" and my guess is that they weigh around 200# each... Man, hard to move around ESPECIALLY since one of them was to be mounted up on a 24" riser to get the main entry pipe into the room to ceiling level. After much scheming, and help from family/friends, we used a large car jack to raise it up into the air. I have attached a bunch of pics of some intermediate steps in my build as I wish there were more of those on here for reference when planning mine. I may also add them to the "show me your deadvent" thread...
I came up with a decent solution to isolate both the finished box form the concrete slab and the fan mounting bracket (supplied with the fan) from the box itself, not knowing how much vibration or noise I would be dealing with. The fans themselves are fairly loud, but mainly due to the shear air volume they are moving. These boxes do a NICE job of masking almost ALL fan noise and internal air movement noise. And, once you hook up a flexduct to the outlet ports and then a speed controller (in the future), I am sure I will be fine. I dissected some RSIC clps for parts to create the "isolated" Fantech mounting bracket and then bought some rubber shock mounts from McMaster-Carr to serve as isolators on the opposite side. The bolts are quite long because - well, that is what I had. I figure these babies each cost me ~$450 as they each have the fan, insulation, OSB, 5/8" Firecode DW, GG, caulking, wiring, hardware... Fun project though and glad its done.
I then made a small plenum box to further reduce the air noise in the exhaust air deadvent flex duct by building a small (24x14x14") box to slow down the outlet velocity with more area. I then installed a 16x16" return grille in the adjoining room in my basement to finish it off. Again, you can hear the air noise, but it is currently running at 100% speed and I know many have recommended a 50-75% speed which will still get me close to my 4 turns/hour on air volume.
OSB Layer on walls
The ceiling was finished in June pretty much, so i carried on with the walls. To do this I had to finally cut-off my walk through access I left to my shop area - which has already proven frustrating (the last pic shows the new hallway that connects the finished side of the basement with my shop - this hallway is in FRONT of my screen wall as shown in some of the earlier posts in the 3d models). I then insulated all of these walls and did more sheeting work. I caulked all the seams and corners, bottom plate areas then as well. So, as it stands now, I need to figure out my lighting so I can design my 4+ gang box for dimmers to seal in the sound in this area. Then, I need to figure out my door framing, hinges, door, etc so I can complete that framing and sheeting. I have included some pics showing the state of the room now. I may also update the Current State post in post #2
to give a quick update to those new to my efforts here.
1. Lighting plan and wiring rough-in to complete lighting electrical box near theater door
2. Door framing and door - need some ideas here and plan to start looking for good threads
3. GG&DW on the ceiling in the stage area - I will be then making a false ceiling to hide my lighting and fresh air ducts INSIDE the soundproofed shell.
Another milestone I forgot to mention:
I ordered my (4) 5gallon buckets of GG & speedload from Ted. They should be en route to me this week - damn thats a lot of $$$ for guacamole! I must say, it is effective in just my small scale applications in the projector box and deadvents. Looking forward to hearing the difference in the room.
Thanks for following and look forward to comments from anyone tuned in.