HELP! I could use some suggestions for a modern processor.
I am once again way slow at updating for progress and hope to do so soon as I have my subfloor now completed and have begun to chip away at some other smaller areas so as to finally get ready for some column installation, electrical switches, and so on. But, on to the gear advice...
My Outlaw 950 (although working flawlessly after 13 or so years) has no HDMI switching, DD HD Master, etc. For those who are unfamiliar with Outlaw Audio, this is a pre/pro and I have (7) M200 monoblock poweramps for the power delivery. So, I am looking for an affordable processor with the following core criteria:
1. 7.1 (7.2) analog pre-out
2. Minimum formats supported of DD HD-Master, DTS-HD (or whatever the equal is)
3. 5 HDMI in and (2) out, HDMI 1.4 minimum
4. need a decent swath of analog connectivity such as component, composite, etc. No need for phono but nice to have
5. Room calibration that is better than average if possible
6. 12v trigger, IR ports, etc.
7. Bonus of being a networked receiver and having some app support to potentially alleviate some need for IR repeaters as my gear is all outside the theater
I am wired for all Atmos configs, but I am not at this time looking to go all-in. Not until this has stabilized a little more. I do not buy cutting edge receiver/processors as they are so quickly outdated. I do however spend my money on speakers and amplifications as it stands the test of time.
So - since an affordable processor is like a pink unicorn, I have begun to look at a couple generation old AV receiver instead. Marantz and Onkyo are the brands I would be drawn mainly to as I have more experience with them, but I have read some less than stellar reviews about 2013/2014 Onkyo's which have caused me to second guess. In the receiver world, they also screw you over by needing to buy a higher end model (like around the $800 mark) to even get the pre-outs option and then you still have the 7/9/11 channels of amplification that are just along for the ride wasting power as I will never use them...
Other option, and my original plan, was to buy the Outlaw Audio 975 processor as exactly my price point (~$500) but there are a few concerns. It is a very basic but highly performing processor but lacks a few items on my list but the main thing I feel I cannot do without is #5
- room calibration. I have read some great things about the Audyssey XT32 (I think) calibration and the Outlaw has NONE. So, it is just seating distances and an SPL meter. This is another topic I would appreciate some feedback on. I have read some but not a great deal about this on AVS thus far.
So should I keep combing Craigslist for an Onkyo TX-NR series, go with my original plan and pickup the no-nonsense Outlaw, or is there another idea. Budget is king, again, I do not want to put too much money into a processor as I have many other needs (like a screen that is not a Walmart bedsheet taped together). Appreciate any input and I will get moving on the updates for the build thread too!