Shiva Talkies Theater construction - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-03-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After years of waiting, got the approval wink.gif Its time for me start building a dedicated home theater in my basement. You guys inspired me to do this project & I'm super excited.
As part of this I'm completing my basement 1200 Sq ft. Theater will be 17.2 X 14 ft, 8 ft height (approx).

Equipment list:

I already bought all these equipments
Receiver - Denon AVR-X4000
Projector - Panasonic PTAE8000U
Bluray - OPPO BDP-103
Speakers (7.2) - Polk RTIA9, CSI5, FXI A4, RTA3
SubWoofer - two PA 120
Rack - Custom
Screen - ??

I'm planning to have two rows of seating with 4 theater seating on raiser & 3 in front (may be a couch ) . Planning to do Star painted ceiling with black lights.
I'm going to insulate all walls & ceiling.I'm not too much concerned about sound proofing since the room above is my office & only i use the office room. No light automation planned.

Open Questions:

1. Screen size? - I ideally want 120" 16:9. Looks like room height is my issue. I don't think i will be able to fit in 120" . Room height is 93" on the screen wall.
120" screen height - 67"
Cabinet for subwooferwill be 22"
Soffit or stage for remaining 4" ?

I'm confused, Any suggestions? Post your thoughts.

Please help me with these open question....

I'm not good at autocad or sketchup. I'm planning to do most of the work & hire contractors when needed. I will post my progress pictures.

Update:
Framing is almost done. Still confused about to go with soffit or stage? i will not be able to match soffit height on the side wall.

This is where screen is going (on tv wall)

Entry to the theater

Front screen wall from other angle:

Raiser for back row seating - 2 X 10s . I will add OSB on top of this.

Left corner is cabinet closet: ( I will get a different picture)

Duct done:

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved
post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved
post #5 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Any particular reason why you are opting for 16:9 vs.2.35:1?

post #6 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm planning to watch tv (games) also. I prefer to keep the largest screen as possible. Do you think stage/soffit is important than this?
post #7 of 10 Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HI Shiva,

Welcome to the madness. I just started my home theater about 4 months back and had the very same open questions that you are having. (BTW Shiva Talkies - Manirathnam Inspired? smile.gif)

1. Regarding the screen. This was my highest confusion and this forum helped me understand ASPECT RATIO. Once I understood this the decision was much easier. IF you have not thought about 16:9 and 2.35:1 screen here is an article that has good light of it . There are three parts to this article and IT IS WORTH A READ. Understanding this is important before you can determine what screen you want.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/build_home_theater_screen_aspect_ratio.htm

Once you understand this and if watching movies is a lot of your preference as well look deeper in to the 2.35 screen. You have a projector that will support this aspect ratio easily (the zoom method). Once you tackle this "The aspect ratio" you will be ablke to determine the screen size. If you have any further questions I sure can help out here.

I was in the 16:9 screen size before i knew about aspect ratio and soon made the switch to 235 screen once i UNDERSTOOD it FOR MY NEEDS. This "for my needs" is the important factor here.

Good luck with the theater build!
post #8 of 10 Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Just re-reading the thread looks like you already know all the difference between 16:9 and 235 and went with the 16:9. With the wall space and your screen almost covering the full wall space here are a few things to consider with this screen size.

Your screen is 120" width i assume (that is a close to 138" diagonal). You will not be needing the zoom method to fill the screen because of the format. The only thing that you need to be careful here is the height of your riser. With the screen almost going from floor to ceiling, make sure that you have enough riser height so that people from the back row can get the full screen visibility. One another thing would be the brightness of the image on a big screen from your projector. I assume you already did the math on that. Last is this going to be an AT screen?
post #9 of 10 Old 02-05-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jollyguy,

Thank you for your reply. Yes its Manirathnam inspired;) I already read the projector central article & after re-reading i'm thinking of changing it to 2.35. I have to do the math to find what i can fit in with 93" inch height (floor to ceiling) &126" width ( left soffit to right soffit )
post #10 of 10 Old 02-05-2014, 05:18 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Premier Acoustic Pa 120 Titanium Subwoofer Black , Polk Audio Rti A7 Floorstanding Speaker , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Fxi A4 Surround Speakers Pair Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page