Soundproofing master thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 379Likes

post #3181 of 3213 Old 07-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Geek View Post
Yes, it will help more with higher freqs vs. LFE.

Horse stall mats and rubber mats in general are helpful, and they will mitigate some of the sound. However, loud and deep bass is going to pass through easily. It's really tough to say ahead of time if you'll be satisfied with the result. I can tell you IMHO, with a 2nd floor theater room, the floor in the HT room is the biggest challenge. Your best bet with that floor would be to rip out the sub-floor and de-couple the room's floor. I know that is a huge pain and easier said than done.

Presuming you don't do that, even with a floating floor, you're going to get considerable pass-thru sound (LFE in particular). Lay down a double-layer osb/rubber/osb/rubber combination (or similar) if you have the means. Anything you do above and beyond a normal floor will help. Thick carpet pad would be helpful as well. Just don't expect a miracle.

You'd have to contact Kinetics and ask them if they have a reseller local to you, or if they would sell direct. It's not cheap, but thought I'd throw that out as an option.

I concur.

Why would ripping out the existing subfloor and decoupling a new subfloor from the joists necessarily be better than leaving the existing subfloor and decoupling it from a secondary subfloor laid over it?

My impression is that the primary reason not to put down a secondary decoupled subfloor is that I've got some untreated walls that will create a flanking issue, especially for lower frequency sound.

And if I had to guess, putting down rubber-second subfloor-rubber-third subfloor would yield only marginal improvements over the more basic rubber-second subfloor. If anything, if I were looking for a more involved floor treatment, I'd think rubber-second subfloor-Green Glue-additional subfloor sandwich would be a better bet, creating a single more massive suspended subfloor and damping it to boot. Anyway, this is all hypothetical, because if the case for a simpler floor treatment is tenuous, it's all the more so for a more involved treatment.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3213 Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
Why would ripping out the existing subfloor and decoupling a new subfloor from the joists necessarily be better than leaving the existing subfloor and decoupling it from a secondary subfloor laid over it?

My impression is that the primary reason not to put down a secondary decoupled subfloor is that I've got some untreated walls that will create a flanking issue, especially for lower frequency sound.

And if I had to guess, putting down rubber-second subfloor-rubber-third subfloor would yield only marginal improvements over the more basic rubber-second subfloor. If anything, if I were looking for a more involved floor treatment, I'd think rubber-second subfloor-Green Glue-additional subfloor sandwich would be a better bet, creating a single more massive suspended subfloor and damping it to boot. Anyway, this is all hypothetical, because if the case for a simpler floor treatment is tenuous, it's all the more so for a more involved treatment.
It's a matter of degree. As in... to what degree you think you want to mitigate sound leaving or entering the HT room, and to what degree you are willing to invest the money and/or time in attaining the goal? And of course, what are the ramifications if you miss your goal?

Your floor is the biggest surface that is going to resonate most directly toward the area in which you (I believe) would prefer to mitigate sound traveling (i.e. to the room below).

Yes, you're still going to have side-flanking issues. I was thinking of ideals (re: floor). If you are directly below the room, you will hear it better than almost anywhere else in the house.

Are you thinking it's not worth it to invest a lot of effort into the floor because you've already decided not to go all out with the walls and ceiling? I'd say it's a reasonable argument to ask whether it's worth bothering with just one surface if you're not truly addressing the other surfaces. But, again it's a factor of degree. You *might* get some benefits through partial treatments here and there, but then again it might be a waste of time and resources. There's really no way to know unless you're going to try and conduct a true A/B test (almost impossible outside a lab).

Perhaps we are splitting hairs here, but I was just trying to point out that unless you are willing to go to extremes, the benefits (re: floor) are going to be very limited no matter what you do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
post #3183 of 3213 Old 07-23-2019, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Guvernment View Post
Good to know, why I never like to rely on 1 single source of truth, also trying to find things that apply to Canadian code as well vs U.S Code.

For the insulation,based on my picture, would i be better off to cut down the middle of that insulation and have it more "wrap" over/under the duct work vs having it slightly compressed above it? The insulation is 6" thick it notes, but above the duct it may be compressed down a bit to more like 5".
Cut it and wrap it. You should avoid compressing it.

I'll try and give you a brief primer on the relevant theory. Insulation - when loosely packed - reduces the velocity of sound waves traveling through it (good for HT rooms). However, if you squish that insulation together and compress it, then it functions more like a solid, which tends to be better at resonating (conducting) sound (bad for HT rooms).

Likewise, loose insulation around your HVAC ducts will help to muffle any normal operating noise emanating from them, and help keep sound in your room from vibrating the ducts.
Mr.Guvernment likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3184 of 3213 Old 07-23-2019, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Cut it and wrap it. You should avoid compressing it.

I'll try and give you a brief primer on the relevant theory. Insulation - when loosely packed - reduces the velocity of sound waves traveling through it (good for HT rooms). However, if you squish that insulation together and compress it, then it functions more like a solid, which tends to be better at resonating (conducting) sound (bad for HT rooms).

Likewise, loose insulation around your HVAC ducts will help to muffle any normal operating noise emanating from them, and help keep sound in your room from vibrating the ducts.
Perfecto! Shall cut and wrap where needed!
post #3185 of 3213 Old 07-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Soundproofing an Existing Finished Basement

Thanks to some sloppy craftsmanship and general shortcut-taking, I'm looking at needing to tear down my HVAC soffit and the surrounding ceiling to replace some HVAC ducts.

As long as I'm going to be tearing "some" down, I'm considering whether I should tear the whole thing down and do some soundproofing.

Room is 7'2" high, so I'm not sure I can even consider decoupling and using double sheetrock / green glue. At a bare minimum, I know I can at least use Roxsul to fill the cavities, despite knowing this isn't a very good solution at all.

There's current zero insulation between floors. But there's also plumbing and electrical to consider. My primary consideration is limiting sound from the basement leaking upstairs. I'm not too concerned about impact noise from the floor above.

Wondering if this fine forum might have some tips on how to think about the issue and get the wife on-board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	690.9 KB
ID:	2596518   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	711.6 KB
ID:	2596520   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	646.6 KB
ID:	2596522   Click image for larger version

Name:	basementwires.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	861.9 KB
ID:	2596524   Click image for larger version

Name:	basementwires2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2596526  

Name:	projector.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2596528  

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850

Last edited by ckronengold; 07-30-2019 at 01:00 PM.
post #3186 of 3213 Old 08-10-2019, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Simple question (I hope).

If you double layer plasterboard or, as I’m planning, OSB then Plasterboard, how do you fix the second layer?

Presumably the uprights at 16’’ centres and associated noggins are correctly placed for the first layer. If you stagger the layers then the second layer will miss the studs.

If I use OSB, can I fix the plasterboard layer to the OSB or does it need to fit a stud?

No channel etc involved as it’s an isolated stud frame.
post #3187 of 3213 Old 08-10-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Simple question (I hope).

If you double layer plasterboard or, as I’m planning, OSB then Plasterboard, how do you fix the second layer?

Presumably the uprights at 16’’ centres and associated noggins are correctly placed for the first layer. If you stagger the layers then the second layer will miss the studs.

If I use OSB, can I fix the plasterboard layer to the OSB or does it need to fit a stud?

No channel etc involved as it’s an isolated stud frame.
Hi,
With 2layers of drywall, both layer have to hit the channel or 2x4 or 2x10 behind the 1rst layer. You have to carefully mark them. The cnrc have a example of the screw pattern they used for their testing of the wall isolation. Look it up.

With osb as the first layer, I think you still should screw the 2nd layer directly into the joist to avoid any sagging. It's even more important if you are using hats and channel because the connection of screws and channel are not that strong. On the walls you could screw the 2nd layer with no respect to where your studs are behind because the lateral force are very little.

Now the fun thing with 1layer osb is that you can add anything and screw anywhere and it will hold.

It takes a little bit more time to do properly, but I the end, I think it's worth not having to fix it.

-Matt
post #3188 of 3213 Old 08-10-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You still need to screw it into the studs. Alternate your screw offset. Ceilings normally have more screws, but depends on the installer.

Either way, as an example, offset 6" from ceiling and put a screw every 12" or so. Then on your 2nd layer, start at a 2 or 3 inch offset and alternate 12". Using that technique, you can use fewer screws in the 1st sheet if you like since the 2nd layer screws go through the first. 1" + drywall thickness for 1st layer and (+ drywall thickness for 2nd layer). Figure 1-5/8" and 2-1/2" screws respectively, or perhaps something close in wood screws for first layer. Drywall screws usually work well enough tho under the circumstances (1st layer). Make sure you dimple the 2nd layer screws. There are special drill bits you can find that make it easier.

Quote:
If you stagger the layers then the second layer will miss the studs.
You just need to line everything up where you can. If you use enough screws where there are studs, it won't be an issue. Use some extra screws if you have fewer joists to attach to.

Quote:
Yes, it still should be attached directly to a stud. BTW, using OSB for the 1st layer is more challenging than it might seem beforehand. It's more difficult to cut and line up compared with drywall, and it's more challenging to create smooth seams. I would recommend staggering the drywall over top of it.

Also, it does not help you from a sound proofing standpoint. There is a benefit to hanging things, as you mentioned.

post #3189 of 3213 Old 08-10-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Thanks to some sloppy craftsmanship and general shortcut-taking, I'm looking at needing to tear down my HVAC soffit and the surrounding ceiling to replace some HVAC ducts.

As long as I'm going to be tearing "some" down, I'm considering whether I should tear the whole thing down and do some soundproofing.

Room is 7'2" high, so I'm not sure I can even consider decoupling and using double sheetrock / green glue. At a bare minimum, I know I can at least use Roxsul to fill the cavities, despite knowing this isn't a very good solution at all.

There's current zero insulation between floors. But there's also plumbing and electrical to consider. My primary consideration is limiting sound from the basement leaking upstairs. I'm not too concerned about impact noise from the floor above.

Wondering if this fine forum might have some tips on how to think about the issue and get the wife on-board.
There's a lot of, "Well, it depends..." thoughts going through my head based on your comments. If you're looking for general advice, I would suggest you stuff some "pink fluffy" insulation in there after you complete repairs rather than Roxul. It's cheaper and more malleable in that type of situation.

If it's unclear what you are going to do with this space in the future, I'd stop there for now.

post #3190 of 3213 Old 08-10-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:

There's a lot of, "Well, it depends..." thoughts going through my head based on your comments. If you're looking for general advice, I would suggest you stuff some "pink fluffy" insulation in there after you complete repairs rather than Roxul. It's cheaper and more malleable in that type of situation.

If it's unclear what you are going to do with this space in the future, I'd stop there for now.
So that's pretty much where I'm at, and my major concern is just having to do demo and reno twice.

post #3191 of 3213 Old 08-10-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So that's pretty much where I'm at, and my major concern is just having to do demo and reno twice.
So, do you have plans for this room to be converted to a home theater room?

Based on the constraints you described previously, I'd suggest considering a drywall/Green Glue/drywall sandwich. It can be done within 2". That would limit your height loss and keep you within 7', which will satisfy building codes in most of the country.

OR

Another option is to wait. There are some short height clips out there. You could do clips + hat channel + 1 sheet of 5/8" = 2"

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	87
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2601576  

post #3192 of 3213 Old 08-10-2019, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
You still need to screw it into the studs. Alternate your screw offset. Ceilings normally have more screws, but depends on the installer.

Either way, as an example, offset 6" from ceiling and put a screw every 12" or so. Then on your 2nd layer, start at a 2 or 3 inch offset and alternate 12". Using that technique, you can use fewer screws in the 1st sheet if you like since the 2nd layer screws go through the first. 1" + drywall thickness for 1st layer and (+ drywall thickness for 2nd layer). Figure 1-5/8" and 2-1/2" screws respectively, or perhaps something close in wood screws for first layer. Drywall screws usually work well enough tho under the circumstances (1st layer). Make sure you dimple the 2nd layer screws. There are special drill bits you can find that make it easier.

You just need to line everything up where you can. If you use enough screws where there are studs, it won't be an issue. Use some extra screws if you have fewer joists to attach to.

Yes, it still should be attached directly to a stud. BTW, using OSB for the 1st layer is more challenging than it might seem beforehand. It's more difficult to cut and line up compared with drywall, and it's more challenging to create smooth seams. I would recommend staggering the drywall over top of it.

Also, it does not help you from a sound proofing standpoint. There is a benefit to hanging things, as you mentioned.
Appreciate all the input. That’s much clearer thank you.

I know osb makes no difference for sound proofing but figure it’ll make fixing soffit and wall mounted surround speakers a lot easier. Appreciate dry wall cuts easy but hopefully not too bad with decent circular saw etc.

If I stagger all the seams and top layer is drywall hoping seams shouldn’t present an issue?
post #3193 of 3213 Old 08-10-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Appreciate all the input. That’s much clearer thank you.

I know osb makes no difference for sound proofing but figure it’ll make fixing soffit and wall mounted surround speakers a lot easier. Appreciate dry wall cuts easy but hopefully not too bad with decent circular saw etc.

If I stagger all the seams and top layer is drywall hoping seams shouldn’t present an issue?
Yes, it can be a plus for certain things. Really depends on the details, but it may be helpful. Regarding cutting and fitting it, what you'll likely find is it's the detailed trimming that becomes a pain, such as in a corner. With drywall, you can cut and snap in place much of the time. Even if you can't do that, it's quicker and easier as you don't need a saw, etc. Another factor is you can patch the drywall if you nick a bit here and there, if necessary. YMMV. I have been there, done that and I would probably not do it again. It was just more work. I do agree that especially on the walls it can be a plus, but only if you know you will be hanging things and want/need the extra support vs. 2x drywall layers.

The OSB seams don't line up quite as nicely as drywall, but since you will have the drywall over top if it, should be non-issue regarding the finished product. With respect to the OSB seams, they're not smooth like drywall and they aren't as easy to seal as drywall seams (e.g. sound proofing caulk).

Just plan to spend more time installing the OSB than you would for a drywall layer and you should be OK.

post #3194 of 3213 Old 08-10-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
So, do you have plans for this room to be converted to a home theater room?

Based on the constraints you described previously, I'd suggest considering a drywall/Green Glue/drywall sandwich. It can be done within 2". That would limit your height loss and keep you within 7', which will satisfy building codes in most of the country.

OR

Another option is to wait. There are some short height clips out there. You could do clips + hat channel + 1 sheet of 5/8" = 2"

Very helpful. Guess the next question is if one is a much better option than the other? I've been doing as much reading as I can on the subject, and wondering if clips might be better for "impact noise" but the double layer w/ Green Glue might be better for "airborne noise"?

I'm not turning the room into a dedicated theater, but it is a media room / kids play room that I'd love to be as quiet as possible (within reason). I'd like to be able to watch a movie or listen to music at night without the sound travelling to the 3rd floor. Not too concerned with foot traffic.

With the limited wiggle room I have on the ceiling height, I could consider something like a low-profile clip, which might give me the space I need for a double layer. https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/r...w-profile.html

I realize there are a few ways to approach the issue, and you're 110% right. "It depends" is all over the place. It depends on how much of the ceiling really needs to come down to fix the HVAC. If its ultimately "not that much," then tearing the whole ceiling (and possibly walls) down seems like a bad investment of time and money.

Thanks @HT Geek . I really appreciate your input and thoughtful consideration.
HT Geek likes this.

Last edited by ckronengold; 08-10-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #3195 of 3213 Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 232
You can also install raised blocking between the joists for mounting your clips and channel and can reduce height loss to only 1/2" plus the thickness of the drywall layers. See the image below from the Soundproofing Company for an explanation.

ckronengold and HT Geek like this.
post #3196 of 3213 Old 08-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Hi all

Airgap importance?

Trying to decide on:

Solid wall (light concrete) + airgap(rockwool) + clips/channels + dual plasterboard + GG

Difference airgap 2" vs 4"?

And how about a 3rd layer of plasterboard?

Basicly I am trying to make the slimmest possible soundproofing "cost no object", and I cannot find any way to calculate the benifit of a larger airgap?

Any other solution I should look at other than what I often see used here which is 2 by 4's + clips/channels and plaster/GG?

/Regards
post #3197 of 3213 Old 08-14-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post

[...]

Any other solution I should look at other than what I often see used here which is 2 by 4's + clips/channels and plaster/GG?

/Regards
Well... If you want to see a different approach, there's is this guy that is using mud and stray bale.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

-Matt
post #3198 of 3213 Old 08-14-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwwolf7 View Post
Well... If you want to see a different approach, there's is this guy that is using mud and stray bale.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t
Soon to be known on this forum as "brown scratchy," cousin of "pink fluffy" and coming soon to AVS... "The Hay-Fever Theater Build."

Building inspectors around here would just love the Romex sandwiched in between straw whilst we're in the midst of burn ban and the air is 100+ and about 25% humidity.

LMAO when she gets out the chainsaw. I might have to try that the next time I need to cut some drywall... not.

I also don't understand why she mentions CO as an issue. I think that would be the last of my concerns. At least unless it's a by-product of the house being on fire. Hmm.....

Hopefully, no one in the house is a smoker... better have a good electrician too... would hate to have a short or loose wire... sheesh.... Drywall is a bad enough "fire resistant" material (B.S.)... I'll stick with my 30-90 seconds to GTFO out of a burning house, thank you. Better than zero.

post #3199 of 3213 Old 08-14-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi all

Airgap importance?

Trying to decide on:

Solid wall (light concrete) + airgap(rockwool) + clips/channels + dual plasterboard + GG

Difference airgap 2" vs 4"?

And how about a 3rd layer of plasterboard?

Basicly I am trying to make the slimmest possible soundproofing "cost no object", and I cannot find any way to calculate the benifit of a larger airgap?

To answer your core question, there is no benefit to a 4" air gap vs. 2". I would not consider anything less than 1/2" absolute minimum. You need a bit of space to allow for variations in materials. A 1" gap is a good general guideline for most builds.

post #3200 of 3213 Old 08-14-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very helpful. Guess the next question is if one is a much better option than the other? I've been doing as much reading as I can on the subject, and wondering if clips might be better for "impact noise" but the double layer w/ Green Glue might be better for "airborne noise"?
Do you mean clips with 1 layer of drywall vs. 2x drywall/GG sandwich directly attached to studs and no clips?

Without digging up lab tests to get a definitive answer... I would say your best bet for both problems is likely to be doing both: i.e., 2x drywall/GG sandwich attached to clips. They can hold the weight with no issues when the clips are spaced properly.

post #3201 of 3213 Old 08-14-2019, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you mean clips with 1 layer of drywall vs. 2x drywall/GG sandwich directly attached to studs and no clips?

Without digging up lab tests to get a definitive answer... I would say your best bet for both problems is likely to be doing both: i.e., 2x drywall/GG sandwich attached to clips. They can hold the weight with no issues when the clips are spaced properly.
Yes correct 2 x drywall/GG - and I was then wondering how big an impact the airgap to the solid wall will have? My house has solid walls in cinderblock type concrete.

Also, will another layer of drywall outperform a slighter larger airgap?
post #3202 of 3213 Old 08-14-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes correct 2 x drywall/GG - and I was then wondering how big an impact the airgap to the solid wall will have? My house has solid walls in cinderblock type concrete.

Also, will another layer of drywall outperform a slighter larger airgap?
Another layer of drywall would be a better performer vs. a larger air gap, yes.

However, I'm concerned we ought to level-set regarding more details about your build. Clips and channel vs. no clips is totally different line of thinking vs. an air gap choice between 2" and 4", or anything close to that.

What exactly are you trying to compare? Pros and cons of Plan A vs. Plan B perhaps? And if so, what are you thinking in terms of the potential trade-offs? (e.g. clips & channel vs. double stud walls in front of your cinder block wall)

post #3203 of 3213 Old 08-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Another layer of drywall would be a better performer vs. a larger air gap, yes.

However, I'm concerned we ought to level-set regarding more details about your build. Clips and channel vs. no clips is totally different line of thinking vs. an air gap choice between 2" and 4", or anything close to that.

What exactly are you trying to compare? Pros and cons of Plan A vs. Plan B perhaps? And if so, what are you thinking in terms of the potential trade-offs? (e.g. clips & channel vs. double stud walls in front of your cinder block wall)
In all cases there is a solid wall made of light concrete, sort of cinderblock type.

A)

Studs to form the airgap of X size/depth + clips/channels + 2 x drywall/GG

B)

Same as above but smaller airgap and 3 x drywall.

C)

Studs of a given size/depth with 2-3 drywall directly onto it and GG - the studs would obviously not touch the inner wall.

X)

And in general, how much effect does the airgap have in general.
post #3204 of 3213 Old 08-15-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When you have a small gap (such as the type you're discussing), its purpose is to disrupt vibrations in the walls between the drywall and studs (inner wall) and the structural (outer) wall.

If you had a choice between direct contact (inner wall to outer wall) versus [inner wall] + [air gap] + [outer wall] then you want the air gap. That is where it is beneficial. It is more difficult for sound waves to traverse the air gap (even a really small one) versus vibrate one wall surface into another one.

post #3205 of 3213 Old 08-15-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Agreed that both is the right / best way. But I'm just trying to plan for as many scenarios as I can.

I'd imagine the GG sandwich is better for airborne sound and the clips are better for separating the structural noise. Your gut feeling is plenty good. You don't need to dig up any lab tests.

Seems like if I used the low profile clips and/or the blocking between the joists, I could do the hat and clips without giving up any additional height. But given the problem I'm trying to solve, that might not be the right choice. Adding another 5/8" should be manageable.

If I can't do both, is one a better approach than the other?

Last edited by ckronengold; 08-15-2019 at 07:50 AM.
post #3206 of 3213 Old 08-15-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
You can also install raised blocking between the joists for mounting your clips and channel and can reduce height loss to only 1/2" plus the thickness of the drywall layers. See the image below from the Soundproofing Company for an explanation.

Thats an awesome suggestion, too. Guess I'll have to talk to my contractor about the amount of time / money to do raised blocking vs using those L-shaped low-profile clips (https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/r...w-profile.html) But its always great to have options.

Thanks, @mhutchins !

post #3207 of 3213 Old 08-15-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
In all cases there is a solid wall made of light concrete, sort of cinderblock type.

A)

Studs to form the airgap of X size/depth + clips/channels + 2 x drywall/GG

B)

Same as above but smaller airgap and 3 x drywall.

C)

Studs of a given size/depth with 2-3 drywall directly onto it and GG - the studs would obviously not touch the inner wall.

X)

And in general, how much effect does the airgap have in general.
When using clip and channel, you have an air gap, you don't need to add another one. When doing 3layers of drywall with an air gap, you then dont need the channel because the 2walls are already not "connected". Unless you have a complete room within a room, you should use channels where you only have 1 wall. Like on your ceiling.

I have never seen any data on a double wall with resilient channel on them. When you have a air gap between 2walls you don't use resilient channel.

A, When you say stud to form air gap, you mean the studs are not filled with fiberglass and is separated from you cinder block? If you use resilient channels, fille the cavity with fiber glass or rockwool, don't leave air gap.

B, you have to make sure that the spacing is correct to support all the weight of the drywall, 3layers is heavy. Don't put airgap between the students and the cinder block if you use resilient channel. Fille the students with fiberglass or rockwool

C airgap of 1" fill the stud with fiberglass or rockwool. Use use isolating clips to decouple the wall (like ib-3 for example) 2layers will give you a good stc. A third layer will help but the return on investment is not that much. You will get better bass isolation as your wall get heavier. Some will say you third layer drywall more or less equal 2layer with Gg

How does an air gap impact the isolation
Here's an example
(all have fiberglass filled stud, 5/8" type x drywall)
Dd + stud + dd : stc36
Dd +resilient + stud + dd : stc 54
Dd + resilient + stud + resilient + dd : stc60
Dd + stud + airgap 1" + stud + dd : 69

The airgap is having a good effect on pretty much all frequencies , including the lower frequencies.

I hope this helps

-Matt

Last edited by warwwolf7; 08-15-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #3208 of 3213 Old 08-15-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed that both is the right / best way. But I'm just trying to plan for as many scenarios as I can.

I'd imagine the GG sandwich is better for airborne sound and the clips are better for separating the structural noise. Your gut feeling is plenty good. You don't need to dig up any lab tests.
I'm thinking the clips & channel with 1 sheet of drywall is going to be a better performer vs. DD/GG sandwich attached directly to surface for both impact and airborne noise. Stuff some pink fluffy loosely in the cavity as well and it will help muffle higher pitch sounds in particular (e.g. high heels on hardwood floor above, human voices). You're going to benefit in both cases from the "springiness" provided by the hat channel and clips.

That meets 2" max drop (using 5/8" Type X drywall) if you have to go that route, to keep you at 7'. If you can squeeze in another 5/8" sheet + GG, you will lose another 3/4" total.

If you will get the room inspected at some point.... Some ideas so you can sleep well at night.... If your building code is 7' min height in that room (some codes are 6' 8" and some don't specify, presuming this room is in a basement).... One trick if the ceiling to floor distance becomes an issue... say you have a difficult building inspector... tell them you're doing stained concrete floor and carpet will be removed. That will get you another 3/4" - 1" or so. That's an extreme case. Some state codes specify whether the measurement is from the "finished floor" or just from the "floor," and some do not specify. Some inspectors would make you rip the carpet before they pass it just to be difficult. Most are pretty cool about it (especially these days... those guys are super busy here at least). It's all over the map.
ckronengold likes this.

post #3209 of 3213 Old 08-15-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking the clips & channel with 1 sheet of drywall is going to be a better performer vs. DD/GG sandwich attached directly to surface for both impact and airborne noise. Stuff some pink fluffy loosely in the cavity as well and it will help muffle higher pitch sounds in particular (e.g. high heels on hardwood floor above, human voices). You're going to benefit in both cases from the "springiness" provided by the hat channel and clips.

That meets 2" max drop (using 5/8" Type X drywall) if you have to go that route, to keep you at 7'. If you can squeeze in another 5/8" sheet + GG, you will lose another 3/4" total.
Awesome. Thanks.

Quote:
If you will get the room inspected at some point.... Some ideas so you can sleep well at night.... If your building code is 7' min height in that room (some codes are 6' 8" and some don't specify, presuming this room is in a basement).... One trick if the ceiling to floor distance becomes an issue... say you have a difficult building inspector... tell them you're doing stained concrete floor and carpet will be removed. That will get you another 3/4" - 1" or so. That's an extreme case. Some state codes specify whether the measurement is from the "finished floor" or just from the "floor," and some do not specify. Some inspectors would make you rip the carpet before they pass it just to be difficult. Most are pretty cool about it (especially these days... those guys are super busy here at least). It's all over the map.
Depends on the day around me. If they were with jerks before they come to you, you may get screwed.

post #3210 of 3213 Old 08-16-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,

Wondering if I can get some input. This isn't a dedicated theater, but it is a soundproofing question. My house is connected on both sides with neighbors to my left and right. I'd like to limit as much sound as I can in my second floor living room room area (garage underneath) and I'm planning on treating the walls marked in red. I was planning on doing rockwool safe & sound, rsic clips, double 5/8 drywall and green glue.

I don't have the budget to treat every surface. I'm wondering if I should even bother with the rsic clips knowing that there'll be flanking noise transmission through the ceiling and floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
green glue; noiseproofing; soundproofing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page