Soundproofing master thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 379Likes

post #3211 of 3213 Old 08-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by austtam View Post
Hi All,

Wondering if I can get some input. This isn't a dedicated theater, but it is a soundproofing question. My house is connected on both sides with neighbors to my left and right. I'd like to limit as much sound as I can in my second floor living room room area (garage underneath) and I'm planning on treating the walls marked in red. I was planning on doing rockwool safe & sound, rsic clips, double 5/8 drywall and green glue.

I don't have the budget to treat every surface. I'm wondering if I should even bother with the rsic clips knowing that there'll be flanking noise transmission through the ceiling and floor.

My layman take: The higher frequencies are likely to be significantly contained by just treating the adjoining walls, and not doing the floor, ceiling, or non-adjoining walls. Lower frequencies, on the other hand, are going to travel pretty readily through coupled framing structures.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3213 Old 09-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good Day AVS!

I'm a long time lurker. I have read over different threads multiple times over the last year and a half. I have learned a lot, and I think that I understand the basic concepts. My initial motivation was to soundproof the garage so that I could do my woodworking any time and not bother anyone in the house (that is still ongoing due to budget cuts).
I have a question, it is not about building a home theater, but about soundproofing a suite in my house. I apologize for this, and totally understand if my post gets removed, I do not know of a better place to ask though. This thread and Gearslutz has been the most informative I have found with anything soundproofing. But who knows, maybe one day, I will be able to afford a little theater in my house. Then all this experience will come in handy.

My situation.
Downstairs we have a rental suite which consists of living room 2 bedrooms, and the worst form of sound control imaginable. This sound situation has been brewing for a while, and I feel that we are at a tipping point. We want to borrow a bit of money, reno the suite and rent it out for more (it is quite below market value right now anyway). The suite has very high ceilings, and I want to employ the decoupling concept here to reduce our footsteps, run a bit of ventilation between the ceiling and floor, and overall kill sound transfer. The plan was to drop the ceiling, then use DD 5/8" with GG. I was planning on double studded wall on one of the walls bordering the garage, but no such arrangement for any other walls. The one thing that I do not understand is the triple leaf effect, and how it will affect my situation. If I drop the ceiling in all 3 rooms, it will create a giant void space between all the rooms. Will this worsen my situation? Below is a quick drawing of what I mean with the void illustrated in yellow and layout of the suite with proposed double stud wall.
Questions:
1. Would installing blocking between studs at the ledger joist (and insulating them with acoustic caulking) help the situation?
2. If I do as described (and I am only concerned with sound between floors), do I need to install DD and GG on the walls or would doing this on the ceiling and blocking mentioned be sufficient? I am worried about flanking, but would blocking take care of that? Adding second layer and GG on all walls takes the estimated cost up 3.5 thousand.
3. Should I leave drywall (or install new) in the void space to keep the rooms separated?
4. Can the void be too big? (I am planning 4 inches between new and old joists. Bottom joists will have to be 2x10, top joists are 2x12 i think.

Any advice, insight and wisdom is greatly appreciated guys! Again, I apologize this is not about an actual theater.
PS I should add, main source of noise is the living room, this is what I REALLY want to isolate, but with flanking I feel like I have to soundproof the whole suite.
post #3213 of 3213 Old 09-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha_J View Post
Good Day AVS!

I'm a long time lurker. I have read over different threads multiple times over the last year and a half. I have learned a lot, and I think that I understand the basic concepts. My initial motivation was to soundproof the garage so that I could do my woodworking any time and not bother anyone in the house (that is still ongoing due to budget cuts).
I have a question, it is not about building a home theater, but about soundproofing a suite in my house. I apologize for this, and totally understand if my post gets removed, I do not know of a better place to ask though. This thread and Gearslutz has been the most informative I have found with anything soundproofing. But who knows, maybe one day, I will be able to afford a little theater in my house. Then all this experience will come in handy.

My situation.
Downstairs we have a rental suite which consists of living room 2 bedrooms, and the worst form of sound control imaginable. This sound situation has been brewing for a while, and I feel that we are at a tipping point. We want to borrow a bit of money, reno the suite and rent it out for more (it is quite below market value right now anyway). The suite has very high ceilings, and I want to employ the decoupling concept here to reduce our footsteps, run a bit of ventilation between the ceiling and floor, and overall kill sound transfer. The plan was to drop the ceiling, then use DD 5/8" with GG. I was planning on double studded wall on one of the walls bordering the garage, but no such arrangement for any other walls. The one thing that I do not understand is the triple leaf effect, and how it will affect my situation. If I drop the ceiling in all 3 rooms, it will create a giant void space between all the rooms. Will this worsen my situation? Below is a quick drawing of what I mean with the void illustrated in yellow and layout of the suite with proposed double stud wall.
Questions:
1. Would installing blocking between studs at the ledger joist (and insulating them with acoustic caulking) help the situation?
2. If I do as described (and I am only concerned with sound between floors), do I need to install DD and GG on the walls or would doing this on the ceiling and blocking mentioned be sufficient? I am worried about flanking, but would blocking take care of that? Adding second layer and GG on all walls takes the estimated cost up 3.5 thousand.
3. Should I leave drywall (or install new) in the void space to keep the rooms separated?
4. Can the void be too big? (I am planning 4 inches between new and old joists. Bottom joists will have to be 2x10, top joists are 2x12 i think.

Any advice, insight and wisdom is greatly appreciated guys! Again, I apologize this is not about an actual theater.
PS I should add, main source of noise is the living room, this is what I REALLY want to isolate, but with flanking I feel like I have to soundproof the whole suite.
Sorry Images did not upload, trying again:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suite Layout.png
Views:	6
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	2614712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Void Illustration.png
Views:	6
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	2614714  
Sponsored Links