The B-Stock Theater Build - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #271 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post
These flags that are shown in the pic: default track flag, and forced track flag. These are picked up by Kodi without intervention in the OSD. In this example for Captain Phillips, I used the forced flag for the Somali pirate subs.
Finally! A solution that works! I have asked many people how to do this and you are the first that has told me. Thank you sir!
thrak76 likes this.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Thrak76 looks like he uses Media Center Master - he's obviously part of the master race.

http://forums.mediacentermaster.com/...hp?f=2&t=10526
thrak76 likes this.
post #273 of 327 Old 05-20-2015, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I wanna make sure I have this subtitles thing down. If I rip Captain Phillips and don't check the subtitles box, I won't get them? I thought the subtitles boxes were for people that wanted to watch movies in different languages. I figured if it was part of the movie, like Captain Phillips or Pan's Labrynth, then that would just be part of the main title that gets ripped. I need someone to break this down for me. What boxes do I need to check in Makemkv to get this right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 327 Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
I wanna make sure I have this subtitles thing down. If I rip Captain Phillips and don't check the subtitles box, I won't get them? I thought the subtitles boxes were for people that wanted to watch movies in different languages. I figured if it was part of the movie, like Captain Phillips or Pan's Labrynth, then that would just be part of the main title that gets ripped. I need someone to break this down for me. What boxes do I need to check in Makemkv to get this right?
Some movies you will get them and others you won't. It depends on how the production company makes the blu rays. Always check forced subtitles in English. Captain Phillips will not have subtitles in the movie unless you do what thrak76 showed. I did it and it works. I am in the process of going back and remuxing all the movies that I missed the subtitles on. I have been wondering how to do this for about a year and a half now and it is super easy thanks to thrak76. Surprised nobody else knows how to do this that I have come across. You may have something like Mfusick was talking about to where it downloads the subtitles automatically. I also use other software to know what title to rip on a bluray. Some disk have over 400 titles to choose from.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #275 of 327 Old 05-20-2015, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Some movies you will get them and others you won't. It depends on how the production company makes the blu rays. Always check forced subtitles in English. Captain Phillips will not have subtitles in the movie unless you do what thrak76 showed. I did it and it works. I am in the process of going back and remuxing all the movies that I missed the subtitles on. I have been wondering how to do this for about a year and a half now and it is super easy thanks to thrak76. Surprised nobody else knows how to do this that I have come across. You may have something like Mfusick was talking about to where it downloads the subtitles automatically. I also use other software to know what title to rip on a bluray. Some disk have over 400 titles to choose from.
MakeMKV will work without worrying about subtitles for those discs that are authored "correctly". Problem is , there is no standard method. So for the archivist this makes things a little more tricky. I really only worry about it when it comes time to view the title for the first time. The majority of titles makemkv gets right by just including all the English subs in the rip. During playback you can then get the subtitle track number for the required subs and then I'll go through the mkvmerge procedure for flags, track names, etc.

As far as the playlist obfuscation that results in some BDs having hundreds of titles - well, damn Lionsgate for starting that crap. It is frustrating and there are usually several retail versions of those titles as well, making the correct playlist selection even harder. Usually AnyDVD will get the right playlist, but it may take a software update to get it!
Mfusick likes this.
post #276 of 327 Old 05-20-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, do you check subtitles and forced subtitles in your rip or just forced subtitles? I always only check forced subtitles.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #277 of 327 Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 AM

I check both - well, my makemkv settings already have all the English subs checked, including forced. I like having all the English subs available if I want them. If there are no forced subs (as determined by makemkv), then they are not included anyhow.
post #278 of 327 Old 05-20-2015, 10:50 AM

I usually rip all forced subs, and all english subs. I do not rip any other languages. Then I rip all the english audio tracks- again none of the other languages.

My front ends can switch audio streams- so that works fine.
post #279 of 327 Old 05-20-2015, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi JVoth, finally took the time to read your thread! Room looks great! Curious about your experience with iRule. How's it going now? I've used iRule from the beginning. I've got a GC-100 for the theater rack, but it only controls the Grafik Eye and Prismasonic via IR and the Oppo BD-93 and screen masks via RS-232. Actually I've had very few problems with it. Admittedly, I don't have feedback for any of that, but they are all employed in various macros and work really well. Pity you've had such issues. I have some feedbacks for DirecTV, my Marantz AV controller, and my projector, but nothing too complex. Hopefully, it's working better these days. I'd be lost without it.
post #280 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post
Hi JVoth, finally took the time to read your thread! Room looks great! Curious about your experience with iRule. How's it going now? I've used iRule from the beginning. I've got a GC-100 for the theater rack, but it only controls the Grafik Eye and Prismasonic via IR and the Oppo BD-93 and screen masks via RS-232. Actually I've had very few problems with it. Admittedly, I don't have feedback for any of that, but they are all employed in various macros and work really well. Pity you've had such issues. I have some feedbacks for DirecTV, my Marantz AV controller, and my projector, but nothing too complex. Hopefully, it's working better these days. I'd be lost without it.
Howdy Raj!

Yes I've gotten everything sorted out with iRule now and it is a really good program. I was absolutely unhappy with their service, though, and the fact that they sold me a piece of equipment that they themselves called "out-dated" and "old". I basically had to force the issue to get the iTach's sent to me and it was $20 less than what I paid for the GC-100. I, however, was not offered a $20 refund or store credit or anything. It is a great program with a lot of community support, but on my next room I would rather pay $1000 to have an integrator come in and set up a single room Control4 or RTi solution than deal with iRule again. By going the Insteon/Universal Controller route that I went, I think I was over $500. I've also had to replace an Insteon modem that is known to have issues. It was under warranty luckily but the next time I may not be so lucky. I eventually signed up for a Lutron training course so that I could be kind of like a "dealer" I guess or at least I can purchase from Lutron without going to a dealer. I may eventually replace my Insteon setup with Lutron RadioRa stuff. I think I could do that for around $500. Then I could have a dealer come in and install Rti or Control4 for under $500 or so. It's basically last on my list of things to do but I do want to get it done at some point. Insteon is a great product too but I just don't think it's ready for the big leagues yet. It's a little buggy from time to time.

I will admit though, for what it costs to get iRule up and running, it's a great bargain and a great program. And for those of us who love to tinker and customize every little thing, iRule is definitely the way to go.
post #281 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, thrak, Pain and Mfusick,

I've already ripped Avatar with no subtitles checked in Makemkv. Will Mkvmerge allow me to fix that without deleting and starting over or no? I downloaded Mkvmerge and tinkered with it but I haven't actually used it yet? Would it be easier to just delete the mkv file and re-rip the movie?
post #282 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Howdy Raj!

Yes I've gotten everything sorted out with iRule now and it is a really good program. I was absolutely unhappy with their service, though, and the fact that they sold me a piece of equipment that they themselves called "out-dated" and "old". I basically had to force the issue to get the iTach's sent to me and it was $20 less than what I paid for the GC-100. I, however, was not offered a $20 refund or store credit or anything. It is a great program with a lot of community support, but on my next room I would rather pay $1000 to have an integrator come in and set up a single room Control4 or RTi solution than deal with iRule again. By going the Insteon/Universal Controller route that I went, I think I was over $500. I've also had to replace an Insteon modem that is known to have issues. It was under warranty luckily but the next time I may not be so lucky. I eventually signed up for a Lutron training course so that I could be kind of like a "dealer" I guess or at least I can purchase from Lutron without going to a dealer. I may eventually replace my Insteon setup with Lutron RadioRa stuff. I think I could do that for around $500. Then I could have a dealer come in and install Rti or Control4 for under $500 or so. It's basically last on my list of things to do but I do want to get it done at some point. Insteon is a great product too but I just don't think it's ready for the big leagues yet. It's a little buggy from time to time.

I will admit though, for what it costs to get iRule up and running, it's a great bargain and a great program. And for those of us who love to tinker and customize every little thing, iRule is definitely the way to go.

If you have somebody come in and program a control system, imagine getting new gear and paying somebody to come in a program your remote every time. That get expensive and this is why you are doing the right thing now.

Quote:
Okay, thrak, Pain and Mfusick,

I've already ripped Avatar with no subtitles checked in Makemkv. Will Mkvmerge allow me to fix that without deleting and starting over or no? I downloaded Mkvmerge and tinkered with it but I haven't actually used it yet? Would it be easier to just delete the mkv file and re-rip the movie?
Did you check the boxes for English subtitles when you ripped Avatar?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #283 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you check the boxes for English subtitles when you ripped Avatar?
Negative
post #284 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are going to have to re-rip it.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #285 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That sucks. Oh well. So what is Mkvmerge used for then exactly? Is it another MKV ripping tool basically?
post #286 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
You are going to have to re-rip it.
You could download the subs from say, opensubtitles.org. There's even the subs with the Papyrus font there. Just have the find the right edition, whether standard or special/collector/extended. Saves the trouble of deleting and re-ripping.

Quote:
That sucks. Oh well. So what is Mkvmerge used for then exactly? Is it another MKV ripping tool basically?
Mkvmerge is a muxer, although it has a lot more power than what I use it for. It takes raw stems (video, audio, chapters, etc.) created with another program and muxes into an mkv. Most ripping software out there uses mkvmerge, you just don't know it because it's being used as a command line process without your intervention.
I've combined multi-disc titles with it also. Like the Lord of the Rings extended editions that take 2 BDs. Along the way you can configure many more things than makemkv will allow you to.
post #287 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 06:55 PM

Combine 2 disc sets into a single mkv is nice. That's the best purpose for it IMO
post #288 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok what steps would I take to combine both discs in LotR?
post #289 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 08:17 PM

Pretty simple really.

Drop the first mkv (disc 1) into the input file window. Next, push the "append" button to the right of the input files window and select the next mkv (disc 2). You can see that button in the screenshot i posted. Rename and mux.
post #290 of 327 Old 05-21-2015, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool. I'm gonna rip those tomorrow. So during playback what happens? Do you still get the "switch to disc 2" at the end of the first disc or does it just play seamlessly? Sorry for all the questions but I'm new at this.

Last edited by JVoth; 05-21-2015 at 09:36 PM.
post #291 of 327 Old 05-23-2015, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Howdy Raj!

Glad that it's working better for you! Since I didn't DIY my room (well except for design and essentially being the construction supervisor), I like the fact that I can change things around. I took this next week off and I'm finally going to update my control panels and build new ones for the iPhone 6. Last year I had an installer put in an HAI/Leviton home controller, so I've been able to integrate my security system, lights, and thermostat into iRule too, which is nice.
post #292 of 327 Old 05-24-2015, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

After ripping some movies and TV shows over the past week (still have a LONG way to go), I finally got my media server solution fully functioning and ready for every day use. I also got IRule configured pretty much exactly how I want it. I don't really care for typing a label on a button, so, this morning I figured out how to make a few buttons with GIMP. It's not guy in Pulp Fiction with the ball gag either. It's an open source image editor. No one has uploaded any decent buttons for IRule that I actually need so I had to create the Kodi, Marantz, Lumagen, and JVC buttons. They look a lot better than just typing Lumagen in a button.

Main Panel

Tivo

Kodi

Lighting

Blu-ray

Here is Kodi running on a Mac Mini and gigabit network. Very responsive, stable as can be. It's the perfect front end for what I need.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-24 19.42.16.png
Views:	1630
Size:	677.6 KB
ID:	734890   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-24 19.42.05.png
Views:	1609
Size:	851.2 KB
ID:	734898   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-24 19.42.30.png
Views:	1655
Size:	742.5 KB
ID:	734906   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-24 19.42.58.png
Views:	1622
Size:	844.9 KB
ID:	734914   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-24 19.43.22.png
Views:	296
Size:	823.2 KB
ID:	734922  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-24 19.43.46.png
Views:	66
Size:	771.0 KB
ID:	734930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 8.03.23 PM.png
Views:	1605
Size:	818.6 KB
ID:	734938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 8.04.51 PM.png
Views:	1574
Size:	786.9 KB
ID:	734946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 8.04.59 PM.png
Views:	1589
Size:	669.0 KB
ID:	734954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 8.05.08 PM.png
Views:	291
Size:	654.8 KB
ID:	734962  

Last edited by JVoth; 05-24-2015 at 06:36 PM.
post #293 of 327 Old 05-24-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Great job on iRule and the custom buttons

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #294 of 327 Old 05-24-2015, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #295 of 327 Old 05-25-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Excellent work. I am curious now if I should use iRule for my home theater plans. You have really showed me what is possible.
post #296 of 327 Old 05-25-2015, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Ricardo. It's a great program if you love to customize stuff all on your own. A few things you should know before diving into IRule and spending the money.

If you want IRule to control lighting, HVAC as well as equipment, then it ain't gonna be cheap..

You'll need:

Universal ISY controller - $270
Powerlinc Modem - $80
ITach's for any RS-232 or IR devices - $115 each
iRule Advanced License - $99
iRule Automation Module - $25

This doesn't include the light switches because you have so many choices. I went with Insteon at $50 per switch. Lutron RadioRa is $100 each. The Lutron RS-232 controller is a $350-$450 I think. Had I known any better at the time, I would have went with Lutron. It would have cost me an extra $150 or so. The Insteon products work fine but are not quite ready for the big leagues. There are a few quirks here and there with the switches and the powerlinc modem, which is absolutely essential for lighting control, is well known to break every 18 months or so, for no reason that anyone can think of or figure out. I'm on my second one as we speak. Lutron products cost more but are more stable.

When I was having trouble with IRule customer service a year ago or so, I went and got a quote from a dealer for RTI and Control4. Both were more than iRule and Insteon obviously, but not that much more. Maybe $300-$500 more and that would have included free programming for any equipment changes since everything is cloud based now and they don't have to come to your house.

All that being said, iRule is fun and it is nice being able to go buy a piece of equipment and program it immediately like I did with my Kodi media server, but it's not for everybody. If you want lighting control and you really want to stay away from dealers and are going with iRule, spend the extra and go with Lutron. Also, try to get equipment that is IP controllable so you won't have to buy any $115 iTachs.
post #297 of 327 Old 05-25-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Ricardo. It's a great program if you love to customize stuff all on your own. A few things you should know before diving into IRule and spending the money.

If you want IRule to control lighting, HVAC as well as equipment, then it ain't gonna be cheap..

You'll need:

Universal ISY controller - $270
Powerlinc Modem - $80
ITach's for any RS-232 or IR devices - $115 each
iRule Advanced License - $99
iRule Automation Module - $25

This doesn't include the light switches because you have so many choices. I went with Insteon at $50 per switch. Lutron RadioRa is $100 each. The Lutron RS-232 controller is a $350-$450 I think. Had I known any better at the time, I would have went with Lutron. It would have cost me an extra $150 or so. The Insteon products work fine but are not quite ready for the big leagues. There are a few quirks here and there with the switches and the powerlinc modem, which is absolutely essential for lighting control, is well known to break every 18 months or so, for no reason that anyone can think of or figure out. I'm on my second one as we speak. Lutron products cost more but are more stable.

When I was having trouble with IRule customer service a year ago or so, I went and got a quote from a dealer for RTI and Control4. Both were more than iRule and Insteon obviously, but not that much more. Maybe $300-$500 more and that would have included free programming for any equipment changes since everything is cloud based now and they don't have to come to your house.

All that being said, iRule is fun and it is nice being able to go buy a piece of equipment and program it immediately like I did with my Kodi media server, but it's not for everybody. If you want lighting control and you really want to stay away from dealers and are going with iRule, spend the extra and go with Lutron. Also, try to get equipment that is IP controllable so you won't have to buy any $115 iTachs.
Hey JVoth, interesting feed back on the Insteon..... That's what I was think of using for home automation.
My understanding (very limited so correct me if I am wrong) of Lutron is that there are limited other devices available, the majority being lighting.
Is it that you would not recommend Insteon or just be aware that it can be quirky?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
post #298 of 327 Old 05-25-2015, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Hey JVoth, interesting feed back on the Insteon..... That's what I was think of using for home automation.
My understanding (very limited so correct me if I am wrong) of Lutron is that there are limited other devices available, the majority being lighting.
Is it that you would not recommend Insteon or just be aware that it can be quirky?
I would recommend buying what your budget allows. If you can afford the extra few hundred dollars then definitely go buy Lutron. Insteon is fine and gives me no problems to be honest. I only have issue with the fact that the Powerlinc modem doesn't last very long and cost $80. If you're a computer nerd from the late '90's early 2000's, then it's like the equivalent of Windows 2000 to Unix. If you're a yard guy, then it's the difference between Stihl trimmers and Troy-bilt. They both work, one is just plain better than the other.

If you go buy Lutron the best thing to do is go through their online training course. It's free and will allow you to buy directly from them I believe.
Waterboy77 likes this.
post #299 of 327 Old 05-26-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The new insteon modem is solid! It is only 40 bucks right now. Setup is super fast and you do not have to have a computer, just use your phone. Automatically adjusts DST as well. I highly recommend!

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #300 of 327 Old 05-26-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The new insteon modem is solid! It is only 40 bucks right now. Setup is super fast and you do not have to have a computer, just use your phone. Automatically adjusts DST as well. I highly recommend!
What's part number on that modem and where can you get it for $40?

Family Cave Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Epik Legend Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , lumagen radiance mini-3d , m&k , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , svs pc12 plus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page