The B-Stock Theater Build - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #241 of 327 Old 05-18-2015, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Ripping moves and TV shows sucks.

Yes sir! What are you using for your ripping software?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #243 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Winners use makemkv.

http://www.makemkv.com/download/

It's always free in beta. The code for unlocking free beta is always posted in the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Winners use makemkv.

http://www.makemkv.com/download/

It's always free in beta. The code for unlocking free beta is always posted in the forum.
Sucks that I paid for it. Oh well, it is for their hard work for something I use all the time.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #245 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 10:58 AM

Haha. Yeah they don't quite advertise that as hard as they could ^ probably for obvious reasons. Nice trick you learn. When it stops working go into the forum and copy the new code, and download/install the new version. It's realistically only a couple times a year usually... worth the trouble since it's free. I think it's how they get people to test it out beta before the "official" release hits. But it's never once been broken or buggy on me.
post #246 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 533
makemkv is great - a little painful for ripping stuff into chapters (think concerts) but there's a script out there somewhere for that
post #247 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

little painful for subtitles. That is the biggest problem that I have not concurred yet.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #248 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
makemkv is great - a little painful for ripping stuff into chapters (think concerts) but there's a script out there somewhere for that
If you use MB server (called EMBY now) it breaks down chapters for you. Jvoth could run his XBMC from it easily too, although I personally prefer EMBY all around. Wife likes the ROKU3 apps.
post #249 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
little painful for subtitles. That is the biggest problem that I have not concurred yet.
How so? Set the default to only check off ENGLISH, or NONE. That should have you from checking or unchecking so many boxes.
post #250 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How so? Set the default to only check off ENGLISH, or NONE. That should have you from checking or unchecking so many boxes.
No, that's not the issue. The problem is with forced subtitles that are not burned into the movies such as the x-men movies. They don't show up even if the forced subtitles box is checked. Only the movies that have the subtitles burned in the actual movie show up.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #251 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you use MB server (called EMBY now) it breaks down chapters for you. Jvoth could run his XBMC from it easily too, although I personally prefer EMBY all around. Wife likes the ROKU3 apps.
does MB through Roku3 run uncompressed blu-ray rips as well as the WDTV?

My WDTV has been erratic of late - not sure if it's the box or the rips but I've had my fair share of issues recently.

I'm looking for low cost client options - no interest in building a media worthy PC - too much $$$
post #252 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah guys I'm using Makemkv. It seems painless enough to rip anything to anywhere I need it but the TV Shows are a bitch for sure. It's not a Makemkv problem I don't think. Some discs' titles are in a very random order and the only way to name them properly that I've found is:

1. Rip each title individually
2. After the entire disc is ripped, name one title.
3. Update the Kodi library and play the first couple of seconds.
4. Have the actual Bly-Ray playing on a TV and check each episode until it's the right one.
5. Rename the file appropriately.
6. Start on the next episode.

I think it depends on each TV Show and its dependent on which season as well. The Big Bang Theory Season 1's titles were reversed. Simple enough to figure out. Season 2 is completely random.

Movies are obviously very easy and just need to be in the right directory. The Kodi skins are beautiful as well as the fan art. Cinema Experience isn't the most stable add on though. Once you get it working, it's a pretty nifty program and can make the theater experience that much more immersive. I'm using a gigabit network. I've had to recall some experience from my networking days so it took some time to get all the sharing down right. I have yet to have any issues with streaming HD but have not dove into Plex yet with multiple streams going at once. Having a $500 Mac front end is a bargain in my opinion. Windows sucks.
post #253 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
No, that's not the issue. The problem is with forced subtitles that are not burned into the movies such as the x-men movies. They don't show up even if the forced subtitles box is checked. Only the movies that have the subtitles burned in the actual movie show up.
You must be doing it wrong. Forced subs work for me. What player you using?
post #254 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
does MB through Roku3 run uncompressed blu-ray rips as well as the WDTV?

My WDTV has been erratic of late - not sure if it's the box or the rips but I've had my fair share of issues recently.

I'm looking for low cost client options - no interest in building a media worthy PC - too much $$$
EMBY transcodes so you can choose whatever quality you want. 20MB/sec 1080p is the highest setting. You can also choose audio (DD, DTS, etc). If you wanted pure 1080p and native HD audio both uncompressed you are looking at running EMBY on a HTPC or something like that. You can load it onto a chromebox and that's a pretty affordable and easily done option- No need for windows license or any of that. EMBY has an openelec version and a windows version. I use the windows version, but again some people might not want a proper HTPC. The ROKU we use is in the living room- and it gets about 5000000% more usage than the HTPC these days because of the location and that fact it just works without fuss. Only I use the HTPC on the projector, wife hates messing around with it. She likes how simple the ROKU works.
post #255 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah guys I'm using Makemkv. It seems painless enough to rip anything to anywhere I need it but the TV Shows are a bitch for sure. It's not a Makemkv problem I don't think. Some discs' titles are in a very random order and the only way to name them properly that I've found is:

1. Rip each title individually
2. After the entire disc is ripped, name one title.
3. Update the Kodi library and play the first couple of seconds.
4. Have the actual Bly-Ray playing on a TV and check each episode until it's the right one.
5. Rename the file appropriately.
6. Start on the next episode.

I think it depends on each TV Show and its dependent on which season as well. The Big Bang Theory Season 1's titles were reversed. Simple enough to figure out. Season 2 is completely random.

Movies are obviously very easy and just need to be in the right directory. The Kodi skins are beautiful as well as the fan art. Cinema Experience isn't the most stable add on though. Once you get it working, it's a pretty nifty program and can make the theater experience that much more immersive. I'm using a gigabit network. I've had to recall some experience from my networking days so it took some time to get all the sharing down right. I have yet to have any issues with streaming HD but have not dove into Plex yet with multiple streams going at once. Having a $500 Mac front end is a bargain in my opinion. Windows sucks.
You might like the media management, renaming, and advanced functionality of the EMBY server. Let it do your scraping and organizing, transcoding, feeding ROKU, or cell phones and tablets, or when away etc... Just link up your XBMC to it.

I think they called it XBMB3C or something like that (MB3 + XBMC). I stopped following the project but it had good feedback.

EMBY server is a lot more powerful. If you like the KODI interface you can keep that.
post #256 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
EMBY transcodes so you can choose whatever quality you want. 20MB/sec 1080p is the highest setting. You can also choose audio (DD, DTS, etc). If you wanted pure 1080p and native HD audio both uncompressed you are looking at running EMBY on a HTPC or something like that. You can load it onto a chromebox and that's a pretty affordable and easily done option- No need for windows license or any of that. EMBY has an openelec version and a windows version. I use the windows version, but again some people might not want a proper HTPC. The ROKU we use is in the living room- and it gets about 5000000% more usage than the HTPC these days because of the location and that fact it just works without fuss. Only I use the HTPC on the projector, wife hates messing around with it. She likes how simple the ROKU works.
I think I'm in the same camp as your wife. No fuss = win.

My WDTV is basically a dumb DLNA client but it does nail uncompressed blu-ray which is a key win.
post #257 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 12:06 PM

ROKU is the dumbest. Seriously. I mean dumb in a good way. It just works all the time.
post #258 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You must be doing it wrong. Forced subs work for me. What player you using?
Popcorn hour A400. Seems like a lot of people have the same issue with other media streamers too. It's like the subtitle are in another folder on the disk and they don't show up when you rip just the movie unless they are are already burned in.

Is this possibly because I don't let anything under 30 min show up? I don't get how I am screwing this up and other people have the same issue. No matter I f I play the movie on my computer or media streamer some movies have subtitles and others don't. I always check the box with forced subtitles for every English forced subtitles box.

If you know what the issue is please let me know. My wife and I are fed up with it.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #259 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 12:32 PM

I'm not familiar with the unit you are using. But I'd be happy to test a file you have that you think the subtitles should show up on, and let you know if it works on my end or not. That would at least give you the knowledge the ripping is wrong, or the unit is not compatible. Player and formats matter a lot. You know you can download subtitles after the fact too right? EMBY server does that for you... cool feature. My dad hears not so well so he uses subtitles at his house, on his ROKU, feeding from my media server at my house. How is that for cool
post #260 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the unit you are using. But I'd be happy to test a file you have that you think the subtitles should show up on, and let you know if it works on my end or not. That would at least give you the knowledge the ripping is wrong, or the unit is not compatible. Player and formats matter a lot. You know you can download subtitles after the fact too right? EMBY server does that for you... cool feature. My dad hears not so well so he uses subtitles at his house, on his ROKU, feeding from my media server at my house. How is that for cool
How can I send you such a large file?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #261 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes I know you can download subtitles and when I added them with handbrake, it compressed the crap out of the file and didn't sound as good.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #262 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
How can I send you such a large file?
Dropbox ? ********** sync ?
post #263 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Bittor rent sync. Look it up. It's free.
post #264 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm glad I don't need subtitles yet. It sounds like a pain in the ass. Mfusick, I'm gonna give a test run with this front end you speak of. I've heard so many good things about MB but I didn't want to have a windows box as my front end. Anything Unix or Linux based is far superior IMO. Plus it's fun re-learning old Bash commands again. I haven't done that since the old Red Hat Linux days.
post #265 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Yes I know you can download subtitles and when I added them with handbrake, it compressed the crap out of the file and didn't sound as good.
You can also use MKVtoolnix to add the forced and default flags to mkvs. There's no compression, just a remux, and it's a pretty simple gui to use. I use it for those titles that don't use forced subtitles, and just add the flags.
Pain Infliction likes this.
post #266 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post
You can also use MKVtoolnix to add the forced and default flags to mkvs. There's no compression, just a remux, and it's a pretty simple gui to use. I use it for those titles that don't use forced subtitles, and just add the flags.

What are the flags you are talking about?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #267 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bittor rent sync. Look it up. It's free.

All set up ready to go. Do you still have the same phone number?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #268 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #269 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
What are the flags you are talking about?
These flags that are shown in the pic: default track flag, and forced track flag. These are picked up by Kodi without intervention in the OSD. In this example for Captain Phillips, I used the forced flag for the Somali pirate subs.
Pain Infliction likes this.
post #270 of 327 Old 05-19-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What are forced subtitles?

Forced subtitles are when there is another language spoken and the movie puts them in there regardless if you have subtitles turned on or not.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Epik Legend Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , lumagen radiance mini-3d , m&k , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , svs pc12 plus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page