MarsRup's homage to a forgotten theater. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 59 Old 02-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsRup View Post
Drywall work is progressing nicely. Should have about 3 more working days before it's ready for paint.

Theater room progress.

Looking back towards the seating area.

This area will eventually have a counter with a mini fridge and popcorn machine. More on this in a second.

Testing out Meyer64's movie poster software on a spare monitor.

Monitor installed just outside the theater room. I ran a second HDMI cable to this location.

Updated renderings of the hallway 'lobby' area.

This area isn't really set in stone yet. The idea is to emulate the look of the original theater's lobby, but I don't want to take it too far and make it weird if I ever tried to sell the place.
Loving the progress and Lobby renders! Sweet LG monitor as well. Plan on doing more than one? What model is it, dimensions, mount? Would love something that slick looking if it was affordable. thx Jim

Last edited by JMEANS; 02-24-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 02-24-2015, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Sub'd. You're like Rainman with that rendering software.
post #33 of 59 Old 02-24-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
I think he has actually completed the theater and is showing us real completion shots...presenting the build in reverse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 59 Old 02-24-2015, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
Loving the progress and Lobby renders! Sweet LG monitor as well. Plan on doing more than one? What model is it, dimensions, mount? Would love something that slick looking if it was affordable. thx Jim
Thanks Jim! The LG monitor is a 19" unit I've had laying around a long time, model LG194WT. It's about 17x11.25x2.3" overall and has a 75mm VESA mount. A 24" or larger would be nice, but I ended up not having that much room where I wanted to put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Thanks! Some really fun stuff is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I think he has actually completed the theater and is showing us real completion shots...presenting the build in reverse.

Or maybe.. I don't even own a house and all the construction photos are actually renderings. Hmmm...

Lol. I get a little carried away with the renderings, but it's a fun challenge to get them as realistic as I can. And also, I like to know how every detail works and looks before building something.

Saturday, I spent some time at my dad's shop and got the basic frame pieces for the door cut. They'll be riveted together using angle brackets, then sheeted both sides with laminated aluminum. I might fill the void areas with foam or balsa.

The frame the door hangs in will be made from 1 1/2x3" 11ga steel tubing. the finished door assembly will weigh about 200 pounds, without equipment, and ride on tapered roller bearings top and bottom. More on this coming soon.
post #35 of 59 Old 02-24-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 579
That is so awesome! Congrats on the build.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #36 of 59 Old 02-25-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 354
post #37 of 59 Old 02-26-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
That is so awesome! Congrats on the build.
Thanks! Glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
That door construction is pretty sweet! So is the table!
Thanks! That table is a Bluco table for fixturing parts for welding. It's like a giant, high-precision Erector(Meccano) set.

I dropped off some drawings and files yesterday to get laser cut, press braked and powder coated. That'll take care of the speaker brackets, the rack section of the door, and some pieces for the door frame. Also, UPS dropped off a box of goodies from McMaster-Carr, which is always a good time. So now I have the tapered roller bearings for the door, as well as the hardware for the speaker brackets. Stay tuned!
post #38 of 59 Old 03-01-2015, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Things are moving along..

One of the tapered roller bearings for the door:

Drywall work done in the theater room, ready for paint!

Primed

Going by the grainy pics I found of the inside of the old theater, I decided on this color for the back wall. It's also going to get the routered MDF panels later, which will also be painted this color.

Now for some real fun! I went into work and they were just starting to cut my parts.

Rack and shelf parts, hot off the laser

Cutting the speaker brackets

Whole pallet of goodness

The speaker brackets and rack/shelf parts will get powder coated satin black. The other parts are for my door frame, which needs to be fabricated first, then powder coated.

post #39 of 59 Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I WAS feeling really good about the progress. I started painting the flat black today, and it was going really well. After two coats it was looking really black and figured I'd wait to do the third coat until a couple more things are finished, in case any touch-up were needed.

After stepping back and looking at it, the ceiling looks like ass. Just really poor prep work on the tape joints in the drywall. I was told it was ready for paint, and was so eager to paint that I didn't want to throw a wrench in things by being critical of the work. So now I have paint and primer on everything and there's dips and grooves and waves and scratches etc every where there's mud. Mostly in the ceiling. The walls look okay, and they're getting covered with curtains anyway.

Guess I'll see what he says tomorrow when he gets here.

Not happy.

Last edited by MarsRup; 03-01-2015 at 10:35 PM.
post #40 of 59 Old 03-02-2015, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
maybe add a texture to the ceiling to help mask the issues?

great renderings and i like the throw back concept of the design -
post #41 of 59 Old 03-02-2015, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post
maybe add a texture to the ceiling to help mask the issues?
I'm going to try to get it fixed, but it may end up needing a texture to cover it. Some texture might help acoustics too.

Quote:
great renderings and i like the throw back concept of the design -
Thanks! I'm glad the retro feel comes through. I was afraid it'd be just sort of generic.

Question time: I don't have a projector yet, but I'm in the middle of painting and would like to paint the screen onto the wall. Can I paint on a geometrically-correct 120" 16:9 screen and get the projected image to match it, or not? I don't care if it takes a lot of careful mounting and adjusting of the projector, as long as it's actually possible to get the image to match. If it's just not possible, I'll leave the wall for now, but it'll make me crazy in the meantime, lol.
post #42 of 59 Old 03-03-2015, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

I grabbed a Dazian Milano Plus fabric sample from work. The color scheme of the curtains is the back half all dark red, then a band of grey and a band of black as you go forward. Trying to decide which color red to use. Thinking the middle one.

post #43 of 59 Old 03-03-2015, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Your renders are so good it took me a couple seconds to realize I wasn't seeing actual photos of your place. Shoot...they look so real, I'd say wait for virtual reality and just watch movies inside your virtual theater!
post #44 of 59 Old 03-04-2015, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
Your renders are so good it took me a couple seconds to realize I wasn't seeing actual photos of your place. Shoot...they look so real, I'd say wait for virtual reality and just watch movies inside your virtual theater!
Haha! Thanks Mr. Flood. That actually isn't that far fetched. There's a mod for Gary's Mod to let you watch Youtube videos in a virtual theater. Something like that with VR goggles would do the trick.
post #45 of 59 Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

A little more progress today. I got my speaker brackets back from powder coating them flat black. After installing rivnuts and printing some hole templates, I got them mounted up in the room temporarily.

Completed bracket. The idea is that you mount one half to the speaker and the other half to the wall or ceiling. Then you can slip the bracket into place using a couple screws to hold it.

Front center speaker hanging from two screws slid into the slots on the wall bracket. This holds the speaker steady while you plug in wires and stuff.

Rotated into position and secured.

RR surround speaker in place.

Front of the theater room with all three fronts in place.

Some of the drywall issues in the ceiling, highlighted by being sanded.
post #46 of 59 Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can certainly place or paint the screen first then set up the projector accordingly. If you buy a budget DLP projector them careful placement is required, otherwise many projectors have both horizontal and vertical lens shift. It is often better to project onto a white wall for a while to determine the best height and size. Not many choices in your case so not much risk to painting it on there.
post #47 of 59 Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

I've been slacking a little, so here's another big update post. I've repainted the theater room, fabricated and installed the door/rack frame, and work on the seating platform has started.

Quick light level test of some LED strip lights. More on this coming soon-ish.

We added a bunch of mud to the ceiling, and used a large sanding block with 80-grit, then 180 to flatten things out. Then I carefully went around with a flashlight and fixed any imperfections.

After the 80 grit, I scribbled all over the ceiling with pencil as a guide for sanding with the 180 grit. Worked great.

Primed. Again.

And painted.

The main parts of the door frame fixtured up for welding. The sill plate is 1/4" steel, the uprights are 3"x1-1/2" 11ga tube and the header is 3"x2" 11ga.

My brother welding things up. He's an artist with a TIG torch. Check out some of his more interesting work on his Instagram page: https://instagram.com/jacob_rogers/

Finished. I added some 14ga plates to the opening for the drywall to butt up to for a trimless finish. The door stop is 1/2" square bar.

Closeup of the lower roller bearing on its stub axle. It's rated for a 1200 pound thrust load, so we should be plenty safe.

Gave it a coat of self-etching primer for now.

In place in the basement. I aligned it with the beam, and made sure it was plumb. Once drywall is in place, it'll basically look like you punched a rectangle out of the wall.

Anchored into the floor and the beam. Saying it's solid doesn't really cover it. Pushing on it feels like pushing on a brick wall.

Seating platform partially finished. Should be done tomorrow, and on to framing the wall with the door/rack.
post #48 of 59 Old 03-14-2015, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Made some chips today. Always feels good to sweep up a big pile of aluminum swarf after turning a block of metal into something useful. Today it was the bearing carriers for the av rack door. Unfortunately I forgot one of my prints, so couldn't finish the bore for the top carrier block. The rest of the door parts are done, and ready to be riveted together then laminated with .060 aluminum front and back.

Seating platform is done. With that, the construction in the theater room is finished. Left to do is carpet, side-wall curtains, and trim.

Looking from the hallway into the theater room.

I got bored the other day and watched an old cartoon on 8mm film. Needs wider optics.
post #49 of 59 Old 03-15-2015, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsRup View Post
....Needs wider optics.
You could try holding a magnifying glass in front of the film projector's lens.

Better yet, hold a viewmaster in front of the lens, BACKWARDS! That way, you'd have TWO beams of light shining on to the screen. If you cross your eyes* while looking at them..., BINGO! No glasses 3D!!!

*Not responsible for any headaches, eye strain, or violent anger this idea may cause.
post #50 of 59 Old 03-25-2015, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Big update time. I keep putting this off and then ending up posting a book.

I took the parts for my door/rack home for a quick test fit. Masking tape was enough to prove it works.

Got my brother to weld the bearing carrier mounting blocks into the frame tubes. Sexy sexy aluminum TiG welding...

Finally got the wall construction done. This was a personal milestone, as I'd been sweating how this would come together for years now.

With drywall wrapped up, I moved all the scrap material into my garage to get it out of the way. Been dying to convert this area into a mini workshop.

Looking back towards the stairs.

And towards the theater room and storage room.

AV closet. That one dumb pipe just had to be in the way. So we're blending it into the wall.

Did a little work on my LED lighting. Here's the 30-watt power supply mounted in the ceiling. It'll be plugged into a switched outlet.

I strung up some of my LED bars for a lighting test. Might be adequate with about 5 of them going. Or I might just add more LEDs to each bar.

Finally got around to assembling the door/rack frame this past weekend. With everything clamped in place on a fixture table, I drilled and riveted the tubes.

Test fitting the shelf section.

Making more dust.

Close up of the upper stub axle. This one gets a spring to maintain preload on the tapered roller bearing.

Lower stub axle and sill plate.

AV closet with a coat of primer.

Drop ceiling in place (not a huge fan, but necessary because of space limitations), as well as one of the LED bars.

My dad's been helping get my door laminated at his shop. The aluminum skins get a hot-melt urethane coating on one side each, then the assembly is sent through a pinch roller to set the adhesive. Should have some pics/video of that soon.

Door with end-grain balsa filler.

I embedded some neodymium magnets in the door to keep it closed against the steel door stop.

From earlier today, the laminated door. Just need to have the skins trimmed flush with a router.

LED bar from the business side. Notice there's room for another strip of LEDs.

Current state of the "lobby" area. Paint is done. LCD movie poster mounted. Next big step is getting carpet and tile installed.
post #51 of 59 Old 03-25-2015, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Not directly related to the theater build, but maybe interesting anyway. When I was about 6, my dad built this neat little workbench and gave it to me, along with a few hand tools for Christmas. I recently brought it home from where it'd been stored for the last 20-ish years and cleaned it up. It was in really rough shape, but I love it.

Before. It was filthy, covered in layers of all sorts of things. Paint, ski wax, RC car grime, glue, etc.

After killing a few sanding discs with my orbital sander.

I left most of the damage, as well as some of the stains. There's a green paint stain from painting a robot model in 5th grade. Good times.

After a few coats of wipe-on urethane. Even the pegboard cleaned up with some 320 grit on the orbital. My cheapy Home Depot vice bolted straight on where my long-missing 4-1/2" Columbia vice had been.
chirpie likes this.
post #52 of 59 Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Wow. That IS quite the update.... Nice work.
post #53 of 59 Old 03-27-2015, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Wow. That IS quite the update.... Nice work.
Thanks! Hopefully there'll be another update with the door/rack completed soon
post #54 of 59 Old 07-25-2015, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 28
ANy update??
post #55 of 59 Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 74
post #56 of 59 Old 10-29-2016, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, did I ever drop the ball on this thread

I've been meaning to return and continue the build on here. Long story short, it's 99% finished now. Just a couple details left to take care of. Here's a couple 'finished' pics:

Hallway. My door/rack design works great and blends with the wall like I wanted. Just need to build a latch mechanism for it. Meyer64's MoviePosterApp running on a 19" LCD just outside the theater room.

Inside the theater. Everything is done in here except the side curtains and back wall panel. Random office furniture because it was free.

Looking backwards.

Door/rack doing its thing. Ended up being exactly what I hoped for. Very solid and very smooth. My dad helped me hang it on its bearings initially, and he immediately sat in the opening and rode it open and closed a couple times. Like everything, still a couple minor tweeks to make here. The wire management has been a work in progress for the past year and a half.

I just recently worked on my snack counter. This is the view immediately through the door when you enter the basement. Home theater is to the left.

I made the snack counter countertop and the bathroom vanity countertop from scratch recently.

That's it for now. I'll come back soon and fill in the gaps. I've got tons of pics of the process of building the rack/door and stuff.
Tedd, JCJetta and femi like this.
post #57 of 59 Old 10-30-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Very nice! Consider the ball undropped!

That av rack is simply amazing.
post #58 of 59 Old 11-01-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for popping in for an update. Agreed. That AV rack door is fantastic. Enjoy.
post #59 of 59 Old 11-01-2016, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Marsrup - that Door with the rack is simply wicked!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page