Big update time. I keep putting this off and then ending up posting a book.
I took the parts for my door/rack home for a quick test fit. Masking tape was enough to prove it works.
Got my brother to weld the bearing carrier mounting blocks into the frame tubes. Sexy sexy aluminum TiG welding...
Finally got the wall construction done. This was a personal milestone, as I'd been sweating how this would come together for years now.
With drywall wrapped up, I moved all the scrap material into my garage to get it out of the way. Been dying to convert this area into a mini workshop.
Looking back towards the stairs.
And towards the theater room and storage room.
AV closet. That one dumb pipe just had to be in the way. So we're blending it into the wall.
Did a little work on my LED lighting. Here's the 30-watt power supply mounted in the ceiling. It'll be plugged into a switched outlet.
I strung up some of my LED bars for a lighting test. Might be adequate with about 5 of them going. Or I might just add more LEDs to each bar.
Finally got around to assembling the door/rack frame this past weekend. With everything clamped in place on a fixture table, I drilled and riveted the tubes.
Test fitting the shelf section.
Making more dust.
Close up of the upper stub axle. This one gets a spring to maintain preload on the tapered roller bearing.
Lower stub axle and sill plate.
AV closet with a coat of primer.
Drop ceiling in place (not a huge fan, but necessary because of space limitations), as well as one of the LED bars.
My dad's been helping get my door laminated at his shop. The aluminum skins get a hot-melt urethane coating on one side each, then the assembly is sent through a pinch roller to set the adhesive. Should have some pics/video of that soon.
Door with end-grain balsa filler.
I embedded some neodymium magnets in the door to keep it closed against the steel door stop.
From earlier today, the laminated door. Just need to have the skins trimmed flush with a router.
LED bar from the business side. Notice there's room for another strip of LEDs.
Current state of the "lobby" area. Paint is done. LCD movie poster mounted. Next big step is getting carpet and tile installed.