AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   Cinema-Nati Theater Build (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1524856-cinema-nati-theater-build.html)

kmhvball 02-12-2018 03:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladeback (Post 55673912)
Kevin, I noticed that you have a column in your theater. How much distance is it from the wall to the column? Did you run power down the pole to your riser? I have a column in my room and am thinking of designing the same room. My room is 25'-10" long and thinking of going with 2 rows of 5 and no back bar. Does the column distract you any?

Here are a few pictures, I think I was trying pictures that were too large.

This shows the support column to the side wall/ speaker column:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1518473431

This shows the view from the far right seat of the Bar:

This is seated in far right seat of the 2nd row.

This is just a view showing the relative position of the support column to the back of the first row.

Hope this helps!

Ladeback 02-12-2018 04:04 PM

Thank you. That helped a lot. I just wish I would have thought more about my design before putting a wall under a beam. No drywall yet so it shouldn't be to hard to move. I believe you have rooms on both sides of your theater as do I.

flynfish 04-25-2018 12:46 AM

awesome theatre! My room will have a column like yours, but unfortunately it isn't as close to the wall. I'll have a similar soffit on one side and I was worried that it wouldn't be even with the other side. Seeing your theatre I don't think its a big deal now!

kmhvball 04-25-2018 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flynfish (Post 56091090)
awesome theatre! My room will have a column like yours, but unfortunately it isn't as close to the wall. I'll have a similar soffit on one side and I was worried that it wouldn't be even with the other side. Seeing your theatre I don't think its a big deal now!

Thanks for the compliment!

I know a lot of people like the symmetry of having soffits on both sides (or neither, but that wasn't an option for me)... but I didn't feel like making it any more cramped height wise than I had to. I think with all the black/dark colors in my theater, the soffit is less noticeable maybe than if it were a traditional room with lighter colors.

Ladeback 01-18-2019 08:06 AM

Kevin, Sorry if you covered this in another post, but how far is from eyes to screen in the front row?

kmhvball 01-19-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladeback (Post 57458664)
Kevin, Sorry if you covered this in another post, but how far is from eyes to screen in the front row?

When I am seated and reclined in the front row, my eyes are right about 9 feet from the screen. My screen is 11' wide, and I prefer my front row to my second row... but seating distances are definitely a personal preference. I don't think I would want to sit closer with this screen size, but could sit closer with a slightly more narrow screen.

Lots of 'extra' measurement information from a prior post in case you are interested:

22' - Distance from the screen wall to the rear of the room, front of the fabric frame (the Fabric frame is about 1 1/2" to the wall)
- 9' 9 1/2" from screen wall to front of riser
- 6-6" front of riser to Bar Drywall (6' 5 1/2" to trim on wall)
- the front of the riser has 3/4" plywood & some carpet on it, so the riser frame would be maybe 1" further back from the screen wall
- the riser has about a 1 1/2" 'overhang', so the 'overhang' would be about 9' 8" from the screenwall
-16 1/2" depth of bar wall
- there is about a 1 1/4" overhang on both sides of the bar wall itself
- bar top is about 19" total
- ~ 49 3/4" from bar edge to fabric frames on wall

So, working from the screen wall the main items are:
- 9' 9 1/2" to front of riser
- 16' 3 1/2" to front of bar wall
- 17' 9 1/4" to rear side of bar edge
-22' to rear wall

From the drywall on the front wall, to the 'seating' side of the screen wall itself, is ~ 11". Starting from the front wall drywall, the measurements are roughly:
- 4 1/4" mounting of 'in wall' center channel speaker on face of drywall (2x4 and 3/4" plywood)
- 1 1/2" 'toe in' mounting of L&R speakers (could be eliminated)
- 4" space before screen (could largely be eliminated)
- 1 1/4" screen wall framing

My front screen wall is on an 'exterior' concrete wall... so, from the concrete foundation, I probably have about 5 or so " (1/2" gap to my 2x4 wall,which is 3 1/2", I then used 1/2" osb & 5/8" drywall... so, right around 5 to 5 1/4"" from foundation wall to 'inside' theater side of drywall.) In cases where stud walls are near foundation walls, there is no need for Clips & Channels on that wall... just use IB-3 type clips to secure vertical wall to floor joists above. My rear wall, I did parallel stud walls, but the rear wall itself would be about that 5" of depth as a 'stand alone' wall. You can do clips & channel for I think as little as 1 1/8" if I remember seeing that - but you would have to put in braces inside the edges of the 2x4s to attach the clips.

I would say my bar could be a few inches less... if I had a 32" door, the rear bar edge to wall could be a little less (or, if door opened only out... I have double doors, one opening out, one in... to do it again, I would consider building a multi-layer large door and only having an outward swinging door, but not sure... or, if you enter on side of theater that would work).

flynfish 01-19-2019 09:47 AM

Kevin,

Not sure if it was you who posted somewhere that the hvac fresh air vents never really get used in the room.

I was considering a mini split and not doing the vents... what are your thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kmhvball 01-19-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flynfish (Post 57464594)
Kevin,

Not sure if it was you who posted somewhere that the hvac fresh air vents never really get used in the room.

I was considering a mini split and not doing the vents... what are your thoughts on that?

Yep, that was me... other than having turned the air supply fan on once to test that it worked, and the air exhaust fan to test it worked... they have never been on again (well, maybe hit the wrong switch and turned it on... but you get the idea).

I have used the mini-split on a fair number of occasions, so glad I have it.

I have seen others post about how awful it is not having air circulation for their rooms. I don't recall size of rooms, my room all in all is decently large - so, maybe the size helps not need it?? My thought on adding it initially was I would 'need it'. If I were to build a theater again, not sure what I would do for air exchanges. It is certainly way easier to do it up front, so, I might still do at least the behind the drywall work/ run the flex hvac pipe material in case I determined I needed something. In my case, my air supply fan is under the stairs, and I would have had access to add that fan later if I had not done it to begin with. For the 'room exhaust', I just installed a bathroom air vent/fan, and have the flex hvac ducting venting into a nearby room.

So, I would probably do something - but definitely not stress myself out about it.

flynfish 01-19-2019 05:10 PM

Makes sense! For my room, I think I would be able to add vents later if needed. The intake I could put in after the fact through the sump pump closet which won’t be finished and that would pull air in from the wet bar area.

But as you said, it might make sense just to run a couple and not hook anything up as a just in case

Ladeback 01-21-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flynfish (Post 57466824)
Makes sense! For my room, I think I would be able to add vents later if needed. The intake I could put in after the fact through the sump pump closet which won’t be finished and that would pull air in from the wet bar area.

But as you said, it might make sense just to run a couple and not hook anything up as a just in case

I am thinking of not doing any HVAC at this time, because I am going with a suspended tile ceiling and should be able to add vents at a later date. I will have unfinished rooms on both sides of my room so that makes it easier to do.

kmhvball 10-21-2019 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am not sure having 14 available seats in a Home Theater is really needed, but for that once every year or two we have a crowd of kids, it is nice to have:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1571669006

JohnnyWilkinson 10-21-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhvball (Post 58711724)
I am not sure having 14 available seats in a Home Theater is really needed, but for that once every year or two we have a crowd of kids, it is nice to have:

Fantastic picture. Congratulations on your HT. There must be nothing better than seeing people enjoy the space you created :cool:

Daniel Chaves 10-22-2019 09:26 AM

man all those kids would have me on edge the entire time lol....

OJ Bartley 10-22-2019 12:08 PM

Kevin, that is a beautiful theatre. What a blast it must have been for the kids. That's what I want our room to be eventually, though it will be a lot smaller. I'll be thrilled if our boys like spending time in there as much as my wife and I probably will, and would love to have them host their friends for screenings... only AFTER they have had thorough training on what volume to stay under, etc. Lol. Great job, and great pic.

kmhvball 10-23-2019 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves (Post 58716412)
man all those kids would have me on edge the entire time lol....

Definitely can be a bit nerve racking. I tell myself three things:
1) leather is easy to clean
2) the carpet is fairly dark, hard to see stains
3) the majority of time, lights are off in the theater - so, can't see anything anyway!

The part that makes me most nervous though, is if the kids for some reason think they should stand on a tray table and manage to break those!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OJ Bartley (Post 58717224)
Kevin, that is a beautiful theatre. What a blast it must have been for the kids. That's what I want our room to be eventually, though it will be a lot smaller. I'll be thrilled if our boys like spending time in there as much as my wife and I probably will, and would love to have them host their friends for screenings... only AFTER they have had thorough training on what volume to stay under, etc. Lol. Great job, and great pic.

Thanks! My son loves watching movies with me. My daughter will do some movie nights with friends, but she is 13 - so, too old and cool to hang out and watch a movie with dad.

Unfortunately though, my wife still harbors ill will towards the time & effort I spent completing the theater - so, doesn't watch many movies with me. Definitely a learning for me - I tried to involve her in the process, but looking back - I would have made sure she was more engaged. She is a person who cherishes 'quality time', so I should have done a few more date nights during the basement finishing/ theater building process!

brazensol 10-23-2019 10:17 AM

My 24 year old son has spilled wine at least twice, maybe 3 times, now and thank goodness leather does indeed clean up easily. Having a mostly red carpet doesn't hurt either!