Cinema-Nati Theater Build - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #121 of 286 Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
In your case with $2000 to work with I'd suggest 4 of the UXL18 drivers in larger ported enclosures tuned to 16hz. You'll have plenty of low and plenty of loud.
Hi Mike... you seem to be an advocate of UXLs, which I am on the current Group Buy list for, however, it is approaching month 8 of waiting. Now that the balance of my theater is mostly done, I am starting to get a bit impatient waiting for this group buy. I am debating trying to find someone to take my spot (I am group 1, so, I have paid my deposit) and going with something like a HST or Ultimax.

I am doing two full size 'marty' boxes.

My main speakers are 'in wall' Klipsch KL-7800-THX, so, I think they probably don't go real low. I think the UXL subs do a decent job of playing to a bit 'higher' hz vs some other sub-woofers, so, thought they might be a good fit with somewhat underpowered main speakers to help give more complete coverage.

Any thoughts on a UXL vs HST vs other, similarly priced sub? Unfortunately, the UXL group buy has very little in terms of status updates, so, hard to plan around that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 286 Old 08-12-2015, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Kevin,

Can't believe I have just found your build! Your room looks awesome. I love the integrated posters with the panels. Happy to see another 'Nati AVS member (Frohlich is the only other one I know of).

Mike
post #123 of 286 Old 08-13-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2060 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Kevin, room looks great!!!! I love how everything turned out. We should swap demo's sometimes since we live so close together.

I can vouch for Mike (Poopshoe) as well as he is all around great guy...which makes sense since he is a fellow buckeye fan and came to my house earlier this year for a demo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 286 Old 08-14-2015, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Kevin, room looks great!!!! I love how everything turned out. We should swap demo's sometimes since we live so close together.

I can vouch for Mike (Poopshoe) as well as he is all around great guy...which makes sense since he is a fellow buckeye fan and came to my house earlier this year for a demo
Once I get my subwoofers up & running, that sounds like a good plan.

Did you have Calibration done? If so, who did it and are you happy with it?

I am debating it, but until my subwoofers are done, I don't want to do it.
post #125 of 286 Old 08-14-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Hi Mike... you seem to be an advocate of UXLs, which I am on the current Group Buy list for, however, it is approaching month 8 of waiting. Now that the balance of my theater is mostly done, I am starting to get a bit impatient waiting for this group buy. I am debating trying to find someone to take my spot (I am group 1, so, I have paid my deposit) and going with something like a HST or Ultimax.

I am doing two full size 'marty' boxes.

My main speakers are 'in wall' Klipsch KL-7800-THX, so, I think they probably don't go real low. I think the UXL subs do a decent job of playing to a bit 'higher' hz vs some other sub-woofers, so, thought they might be a good fit with somewhat underpowered main speakers to help give more complete coverage.

Any thoughts on a UXL vs HST vs other, similarly priced sub? Unfortunately, the UXL group buy has very little in terms of status updates, so, hard to plan around that.

I love my four UXL's.........IMHO, a pair of UXL's out performed my JTR S2 both down low and especially on top......besides, driver looks great! I was in very first group buy two years ago...........2nd seems to be a fiasco! Eight months is too long.......besides, I'm hearing major issues not only with timeline but quality.

Too bad you weren't in first go around........UXL is a quality driver.....well, mine are! Hoping yours turn out similar!
post #126 of 286 Old 08-14-2015, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
.......besides, I'm hearing major issues not only with timeline but quality.
Now that makes me nervous
post #127 of 286 Old 08-14-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now that makes me nervous
Just heresay.........but still. Eight months when you paid half would make me concerned. From what I've heard/read, Mike has gone through two other machines since his first broke down...........those machines are expensive!
post #128 of 286 Old 08-15-2015, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
This is the kind of home theater I am going to build soon. Great write up
post #129 of 286 Old 08-15-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Great looking room!

I was born and raised in Cincinnati, so it is always good to see great rooms from my home town.
post #130 of 286 Old 09-05-2015, 08:52 AM

You have a very nice theater!!! Yours will be my inspiration for my new build. We almost have the same room dimensions. Thanks for the info.
post #131 of 286 Old 09-05-2015, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Great looking room!

I was born and raised in Cincinnati, so it is always good to see great rooms from my home town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumarapol View Post
You have a very nice theater!!! Yours will be my inspiration for my new build. We almost have the same room dimensions. Thanks for the info.
Thanks for the kind words! It was a lot of work, but definitely has been nice to actually get to use the room now!
post #132 of 286 Old 09-05-2015, 03:33 PM

Question...are there anything that you could have changed if you have the chance to do it again?
post #133 of 286 Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumarapol View Post
Question...are there anything that you could have changed if you have the chance to do it again?
A few things come to mind:
1) a probably would have pre-wired for Atmos/overhead speakers

2) I definitely would have run an empty conduit to the projector from my AV equipment room. I don't need it now, but as 4K and new HDMI specs are released/finalized, it would have been nice to have easier access. I think somethings can transmit over Cat-6, but not real sure - and not a current problem, but despite having read it in my 'rush' to get drywall started I decided not to take the time do that.

3) the way I built my 2 level riser, the 2nd level riser height is too close to the 1st level to fit a step light in... I will likely now use LED strip lights, but wasn't my preference.

4) I would have waited to mount my projector & measured better until after my screen wall was done. My screen wall ended up being a bit closer to the projector than planned, and my 'rough' measurement for projector mount ended up being closer to the screen than planned... so, I am basically fully zoomed, the downside is my built in Plex player in my Bluray player, 'scales' and shrinks the image slightly... since I am fully zoomed already, now I can't zoom further to accommodate and fill the entire screen.
- I'll either move the projector back a little
- or get a different device (e.g., Roku 3) to ensure image fills entire screen

5) I wouldn't have done the UXL group buy for a DIY 18" sub... that started in January, and still no ETA yet... I THINK it they'll be coming soon, so, I keep waiting. This isn't a commentary on the subs themselves, but entirely based on the timeline.

6) painted the wall behind my fabric frame intersection points the color of the fabric.. I am not sure anyone else has noticed, but a few spots I can see the background wall (I did prime it a dark gray, but I can still notice).

7) researched the LED Light/ Dimmer compatibility more... my LED lights have very limited compatibility with dimmers vs my perception of some others (e.g., Cree, I think has broader compatibility). So, my light do 'dim' just not as far as they could with the optimally compatible dimmer... trade-off was, I wanted an automated/scene programmable type dimmer (e.g., Insteon or Grafik Eye), so, went with a sub-optimal amount of dimming to gain the benefits of those dimmer types. Frankly, I haven't had lights on at all during a movie yet, so, this is more of a theoretical annoyance than a practical concern.

All in all, I am fairly happy with the Theater room so these are 'minor' items, but things that would be nice if they were better.

Kevin
wlelandj likes this.
post #134 of 286 Old 09-08-2015, 11:31 PM

Thanks!!!!
post #135 of 286 Old 09-29-2015, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I received the first of my two UXL-18s yesterday, and shipping notice for the 2nd one!!

I ordered my iNuke 6000 DSP amp today as well. Called Sweetwater, and they agreed to a $349.99 price - the normal price of a non DSP model. THe UXL group buy thread recommended calling and requesting the cheaper price. They originally said they would only meet 1/2 way (regular price $399.99), but when I said "ok, well thanks anyway, I'll call Sam Ash " they agreed to it!

I still need to complete my Sub Boxes. I was debating changing direction since the group buy took so long, and didn't want to complete the boxes if the driver cut out would be different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub 1 Pict.jpg
Views:	1440
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	967513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub side pict.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	967521  
post #136 of 286 Old 11-12-2015, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Getting close to having my sub-woofers finally completed... I am probably going to put the top on my DIY boxes by next week. I hooked up all my wires and ensured the Subs are working while the top of my box was off. I wanted easy access to adjust things.

Here are a few pictures of the current status...

Feel good about getting close to having a fully functional theater!
post #137 of 286 Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I finally got my subs put together and have done some very preliminary testing and WOW is my initial reaction.

All I have done so far, is a very basic run of my receiver's Audyssey process, and set a HPF on the iNuke 6000 to protect the sub. But, the amount of bass produced is fairly incredible, at least for someone coming from not having had much bass previously.

I am planning on Velvet covered 'frames' for around the sub-boxes, hopefully to avoid reflections & maybe keep my kids from poking at the woofers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Subwoofer Boxes.jpg
Views:	1798
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1069626  
post #138 of 286 Old 11-20-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyv View Post
I really like how you included the art panels with your other panels. Looking really great.
+1

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
post #139 of 286 Old 11-20-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I finally got my subs put together and have done some very preliminary testing and WOW is my initial reaction.

All I have done so far, is a very basic run of my receiver's Audyssey process, and set a HPF on the iNuke 6000 to protect the sub. But, the amount of bass produced is fairly incredible, at least for someone coming from not having had much bass previously.

I am planning on Velvet covered 'frames' for around the sub-boxes, hopefully to avoid reflections & maybe keep my kids from poking at the woofers.

Now you need two more for four so each at 1/4 space front and back wall!
post #140 of 286 Old 11-22-2015, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
The Denon can process 9 speakers, I haven't done any reading yet on how to set up two sets of side surrounds, so I am hoping it can be done with out another amplifier.
I didn't see a reply to this, what did you decide? From what I've read, you can do this rather inexpensively with something like an iNuke 1000 (~$200). You simply plug one set of surrounds directly into your Denon, then run the preamp out to the iNuke for the same surrounds and plug in the second set there. I've heard with the iNuke you just set delay to 10ms and it works quite well.

This is just from what I've read on AVS though, no personal experience.
post #141 of 286 Old 11-22-2015, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxton View Post
I didn't see a reply to this, what did you decide? From what I've read, you can do this rather inexpensively with something like an iNuke 1000 (~$200). You simply plug one set of surrounds directly into your Denon, then run the preamp out to the iNuke for the same surrounds and plug in the second set there. I've heard with the iNuke you just set delay to 10ms and it works quite well.

This is just from what I've read on AVS though, no personal experience.
There is a custom assign mode, which let me use the built in amps for both sets of surrounds.

The receiver can process 11 channels, but would need something like the iNuke 1000 for that.
post #142 of 286 Old 11-23-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Is that walmart brand bed topper used as sub box filler

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #143 of 286 Old 12-05-2015, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

Looks comfy does it not?

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #144 of 286 Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
Looks comfy does it not?
Only the best for my subs... I spare no expense ;-)
Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #145 of 286 Old 12-07-2015, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You live next door to me(not literally), I live right across 129 from Bridgewater Falls Shopping Center. Your build looks awesome!
post #146 of 286 Old 12-07-2015, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmetFerg View Post
You live next door to me(not literally), I live right across 129 from Bridgewater Falls Shopping Center. Your build looks awesome!
Thanks!

I know that area fairly well... I did a fair bit of my shopping at the Menard's when doing my basement, and still stop by Bridgewater Falls every now and again.
post #147 of 286 Old 12-10-2015, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I finally got around to completing my Subs... I opted to build Black Velvet covered frames to serve multiple purposes... make them blend a bit more with the screen wall, give a bit of protection to the driver as I have them covered (with black AT fabric), and also to hide my shoddy woodwork on them.

Here is what they look like from fairly close:

Here is a view with the end panels open... you can see the center fabric on this frame is different, it is black (the same as my bottom wall panels), but looks almost gray in this picture.

Here is a view from a bit more of a distance to show how they blend in a bit more.

I still haven't done any real tuning or measurements, but they sound good to me. I turned up my volume to 'reference' on my Receiver, and put the iNuke at about 3 pm, and when I played the start of Edge of Tomorrow... I was amazed that it literally was shaking the walls. I had seen people talk about 'shaking the walls', but thought it was more figurative vs literal. The first time I did it, I had a little step ladder in my AV closet leaning against the wall and I heard a 'rattling' and thought "uh-oh, something is wrong" and then I figured out it was the wall shaking and the ladder bouncing against it that caused it.

I now feel I am essentially 'done'... a few touch ups on paint here and there, organize my AV closet a little, etc., but all in all... finally feel like I am 'done'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sub w Open Door.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1110426  
Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #148 of 286 Old 12-23-2015, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great job Kevin! I have finally reached the fabric frame phase. Hoping to finish soon before "burn-out" sets in...again. Keep up the good work!

Adrian
post #149 of 286 Old 01-20-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmetFerg View Post
I'm right down the road from you.

Quote:
Thanks!

I know that area fairly well... I did a fair bit of my shopping at the Menard's when doing my basement, and still stop by Bridgewater Falls every now and again.
Turned out great Kevin. I would love to check it out at some point, maybe motivate me to finish the basement here and move mine in from the garage, lol.

Bill
post #150 of 286 Old 01-20-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2060 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Room looks great Kevin. Like the way the subs turned out. Looks great!!!

Also, hello to fellow Cincinnati AVS members. Seems like there are more of us than I thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page