Creekside Stone Cinema - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #271 of 359 Old 01-06-2015, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2008 View Post
The transformation of your space is absolutely amazing. This is by far one of my favorite builds on this forum and I see theater of the month in your future. Congratulations on a job well done. Could you comment on how you did the columns and incorporated the Volt speakers? I believe the depth of the speaker is 9.5 inches and the actual column looks to be 4.5 inches deep from your drawing. Were the columns made from MDF? How did you recess the speaker in the wall and preserve the sound proofing? Thanks
Thanks Mike

I used the Volt10's Angled with my 1099's. The 9.5" was too deep for me and I cut the Top/Sides/Bottom down 1" to 8.5" deep. Eric, with DIY Sound Group, said not to go more than 1". I think they sound great.
Jeff Meier was at the house on 12/17 to set the system up and he thought they sound great as well, so the 1" did not seem to effect the sound quality.
Columns were constructed with 1/2" MDF, no mitered corners. I used MH Ready patch to seal the seams and Sherwin Williams Sherwood sealer to seal the MDF
Yes the columns are 4.5" deep to the inside face of the column, 5" to the front face of the column due to the 1/2" MDF I used to build them. The right side of the room was built with a 2x4 wall spaced roughly 1" off the concrete wall(old construction), so that gave me 9.5" to work with. I built a recessed box out of 3/4" MDF with a 1/2" MDF back, as I did not want to give up the 1/4". I know had 9" to work with an 8.5" speaker. Sound proofing, well I gave up some recessing the box so it not perfect. I tried to make sure that I had fluffy all around the recessed box and no air gaps.
The adjacent walls were all constructed with a 2x4 staggered design so I more room to work with.
Hope that answers your question with out any confusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 359 Old 01-06-2015, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
What a transformation! Granroth said it all, "Absolutely gorgeous."
You must be extremely satisfied with the finished results.
Thanks for taking the time to document the process.
Your are welcome and thank you. Extremely satisfied, although I have nothing to compare it to except my old space. I feel the acoustics are awesome, again I have not visited any other HT to compare, maybe I will keep it that way. Right now I have that honeymoon feeling
post #273 of 359 Old 01-06-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I subscribe to about 15 or 20 threads at any given time. Sometimes I get stuck just checking on those and forget to actually go into the New Construction thread and see what's going on. I'm pretty disappointed that I missed this whole build. This room turned out fantastic. The stone wainscoting is really stunning. I think wainscoting is what that would be, anyways. In Southeast Texas, that would be called "the bottom of the wall".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 359 Old 01-06-2015, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
I subscribe to about 15 or 20 threads at any given time. Sometimes I get stuck just checking on those and forget to actually go into the New Construction thread and see what's going on. I'm pretty disappointed that I missed this whole build. This room turned out fantastic. The stone wainscoting is really stunning. I think wainscoting is what that would be, anyways. In Southeast Texas, that would be called "the bottom of the wall".
Thanks JVoth.. we are real happy with the bottom of the wall.. Thanks for commenting.
post #275 of 359 Old 01-06-2015, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks very much for your response. It makes perfect sense. Did you cut down all the speakers down to an 8.5 depth or just the one that you to incorporate into a standard wall cavity? I love the look of not having the speakers exposed in the room. Thanks Again, Mike
post #276 of 359 Old 01-06-2015, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2008 View Post
Thanks very much for your response. It makes perfect sense. Did you cut down all the speakers down to an 8.5 depth or just the one that you to incorporate into a standard wall cavity? I love the look of not having the speakers exposed in the room. Thanks Again, Mike
I cut them all down. I did not know what, if any, effect it would have on the sound and I did not want to chance having one side of the room sounding a little different than the other.
post #277 of 359 Old 01-09-2015, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

the Peavey arrived back today from the factory, replaced a shorted capacitor and an open resistor, at n/c. Thank you Peavey!
So it is back in the rack and now that I have a somewhat of an understanding of the amp and the unbalance to balance converter, there is some BASS in the room now. With the assistance of @TMcG , we should be able to dial it in correctly and improve the room acoustic to a room that I did not think needed improving. It is amazing how the sound quality changes when you throw a little bass (2-UM18-22 Ultimax 18" DVC drivers) at it.
post #278 of 359 Old 01-11-2015, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Did you put your columns directly on the floor or raise them a .25" or so. Not sure what most people do.
post #279 of 359 Old 01-11-2015, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post
Did you put your columns directly on the floor or raise them a .25" or so. Not sure what most people do.
I raised them up a heavy .25". I think mostly it depends on the thickness of your carpet.
post #280 of 359 Old 01-12-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Simply Beautiful HT...........I look forward to it being HT of the month really soon.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #281 of 359 Old 01-23-2015, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

This room changes a movie completely, I have watch numerous movies more than once and multiple times in one day(I must admit). What an experience!

The one only compliant (a small one, but drives me crazy) is the pincushioning effect that I have in the middle of the screen when the lens is slid into place. I feel like I have tried every lens angle position with out fully correcting it. It is not major but it something that I was not expecting. The screen looks like it is curved.
Using a Sony 55ES and a UH480 lens on 120" wide screen.

As anyone with else experienced this with an anamorphic lens? What was done to correct it.
post #282 of 359 Old 01-23-2015, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Changer View Post
This room changes a movie completely, I have watch numerous movies more than once and multiple times in one day(I must admit). What an experience!

The one only compliant (a small one, but drives me crazy) is the pincushioning effect that I have in the middle of the screen when the lens is slid into place. I feel like I have tried every lens angle position with out fully correcting it. It is not major but it something that I was not expecting. The screen looks like it is curved.

As anyone with else experienced this with an anamorphic lens? What was done to correct it.
From the research I've done there are two options.

1. Move the projector further back so that it is in landlord's recommended throw range to minimize this. If projector positioning allows it and it isn't already in the recommended range.

2. Curve the screen slightly using a bolt in the middle of the top and bottom of the screen frame into the backing frame, with blocks on the side to offset the edge of the screen. The amount of curve required depends on screen size and throw range of projector. You use a pincushion test pattern and then tighten the top and bottom bolts ever so carefully from the back to curve the screen inwards until the lines to the test pattern are straight. Note: Down side is 16:9 content probably won't be right when anamorphic lens isn't engaged. Also you'll no doubt void the screen warranty.

Niether is perfect but might be less annoying than what you have now.

I'm in the middle of building my HT room at the moment and got the screen manufacturer to pre drill the holes in the screen frame for me so that if the provisioning bothers me then I can try curving the screen to get the best balance between 16:9 and scope content.
post #283 of 359 Old 01-23-2015, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
From the research I've done there are two options.

1. Move the projector further back so that it is in landlord's recommended throw range to minimize this. If projector positioning allows it and it isn't already in the recommended range.

2. Curve the screen slightly using a bolt in the middle of the top and bottom of the screen frame into the backing frame, with blocks on the side to offset the edge of the screen. The amount of curve required depends on screen size and throw range of projector. You use a pincushion test pattern and then tighten the top and bottom bolts ever so carefully from the back to curve the screen inwards until the lines to the test pattern are straight. Note: Down side is 16:9 content probably won't be right when anamorphic lens isn't engaged. Also you'll no doubt void the screen warranty.

Niether is perfect but might be less annoying than what you have now.

I'm in the middle of building my HT room at the moment and got the screen manufacturer to pre drill the holes in the screen frame for me so that if the provisioning bothers me then I can try curving the screen to get the best balance between 16:9 and scope content.
Thanks Apgood. This problem was something that I did not read in other post while I was doing my research, or totally ignored it but you would think that it would have been mentioned somewhere. I did a lot of reading and also a lot of conversing with the lens manufacture, and they did not mention it.
I do have the lens mounted in the "sweet spot" according to the lens company. I have not contacted them about this problem since mounting.
post #284 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Yeah I've only seen 2 or 3 threads about it 1 or 2 here in CIH section and over on dtvforum ( http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/t.../?fromsearch=1).
post #285 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I'll be interested to hear what the solution is. My planned screen and throw distance looks to be similar to yours, and I'm on the fence about an A lens. Some n00b questions to throw at you: The pincushion goes away if you use the zoom method to fill the scope screen, right? Can you set the image to overscan a bit, to hide the pincushion, or are the sides so bad that it is still noticeable?
post #286 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
The solution for those who do not already own a projector is to buy a JVC with motorized zoom/focus/shift and forget about the A-lens expense, hassle, and distortion.
post #287 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I know there's lots of companies that have zoom at a lower cost than Sony. I don't know why they have that only on their top units. This from a Sony owner that uses zoom/lens memory. I've seen a couple $1500 projectors that has an auto zoom.
keep us posted on your solution
post #288 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
The solution for those who do not already own a projector is to buy a JVC with motorized zoom/focus/shift and forget about the A-lens expense, hassle, and distortion.
I did look at the JVC, I did not thing the image quality was as good as the Sony. The pincushining isn't that bad, just unexpected and if I would stop focusing on it wouldn't be a problem. The guest I have had over to watch a movie haven't even noticed it until I point it out. So I am going to stop pointing it out. Ha!
post #289 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
I'll be interested to hear what the solution is. My planned screen and throw distance looks to be similar to yours, and I'm on the fence about an A lens. Some n00b questions to throw at you: The pincushion goes away if you use the zoom method to fill the scope screen, right? Can you set the image to overscan a bit, to hide the pincushion, or are the sides so bad that it is still noticeable?
The zoom will portray that the pincushion is gone but then you have the over scan. I am just to anal about things, I want it all to be perfect. Right now I have things adjusted so there is less than 1" of pin in the center and minuscule over scan on the sides.

Last edited by 24Changer; 01-24-2015 at 10:37 AM.
post #290 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
I'd reach out to Panamorph on this because you are using their plate with their suggested hole pattern for that projector and their bracket. Not only that, but you are nearly smack dab in the middle of the focal range which is the most 'neutral' as far as a lens is concerned.

I was surprised that I couldn't dial in the physical adjustment when I was there....and you know we put that projector dead level in both planes and manipulated the position of the lens ad nauseum. Maybe Panamorph can share some wisdom....or even ship you an advanced replacement.

Did you play around with the UMIK and REW yet?
post #291 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I'd reach out to Panamorph on this because you are using their plate with their suggested hole pattern for that projector and their bracket. Not only that, but you are nearly smack dab in the middle of the focal range which is the most 'neutral' as far as a lens is concerned.

I was surprised that I couldn't dial in the physical adjustment when I was there....and you know we put that projector dead level in both planes and manipulated the position of the lens ad nauseum. Maybe Panamorph can share some wisdom....or even ship you an advanced replacement.

Did you play around with the UMIK and REW yet?
Advanced replacement, huh? Sub-par will not do!! I think I will give them a call next week to have a chat

Just started to tear into it now, we'll see what I can or can not do.
post #292 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What type of theater seats are those?
post #293 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2115
Quote:
Pretty much wrapped up except for the set up of the remote. I currently have a Pronto 3500 but thinking about going in a different direction. Either a Harmony or incorporating an Ipad. I finished all the grill screens for the columns this weekend as long as the touch up paint. I do need to repaint the ceiling part of the soffit as the touch up did not blend up. Currently, we are going to leave the ceiling treatments open until we figure out how we want to cover them. Here are some final shots...a photographer I am not.

Wow...this is amazing. I'm inspired by the unique design with the stones. Maybe I can use different material too...

Now, my thoughts are racing...
post #294 of 359 Old 01-24-2015, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
I did look at the JVC, I did not thing the image quality was as good as the Sony. The pincushining isn't that bad, just unexpected and if I would stop focusing on it wouldn't be a problem. The guest I have had over to watch a movie haven't even noticed it until I point it out. So I am going to stop pointing it out. Ha!
...and there's the rub with anything one becomes intimately involved in the creation of: you know it inside and out, seen it from inception to completion, and all the little iotas and quirks that don't precisely match with our expectation, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I've seen this with songwriting and recording. The best advice is to get away from it for a while in order to come back with fresh eyes and ears (but that's silly advice regarding a home theatre!)
post #295 of 359 Old 01-25-2015, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCornholio View Post
What type of theater seats are those?
They are Berkline 090 Theater Seats
post #296 of 359 Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
I used this molding from Lowes
http://www.lowes.com/pd_140859-746-E...ding&facetInfo=
The bottom is permanently attached. I used 1 1/2" 18 gauge brad nails The tops will be held on with magnets. Currently the tops are tacked with 1" brads until I switch over to the magnets.
I did not take any pics of assembling the frames. They are a mitered 45, I glued them together rather than nailed them and the fabric is stapled to the back side. The frames fit fairly flush to the column, they basically sit the thickness of the fabric off of the column, which is not much.
I did build a jig to assemble the frames. Basically that was a piece of plywood and I tacked 3 pieces of MDF to it to build a 3 sided box. I then glued them and set them in the jig and then secured a 4th piece of MDF to close the box and hold pressure against the frame for drying time.
If needed, I can draw up a picture of the jig if you think you will go that route.
Just to check my understanding... the only thing you used for the grills is the 4 pieces of the molding itself and fabric? so the dimensions of the inside edge of the molding are basically the same as the dimensions of the hole cut into the column?

Eventually you'll mount magnets into the molding/grill, and into the column to make them removable?
post #297 of 359 Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Just to check my understanding... the only thing you used for the grills is the 4 pieces of the molding itself and fabric? so the dimensions of the inside edge of the molding are basically the same as the dimensions of the hole cut into the column?

Eventually you'll mount magnets into the molding/grill, and into the column to make them removable?
That is correct.
post #298 of 359 Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

after speaking with Russell @ Panamorph today, I am much happier with the image on the screen with the lens in place. I found out through conversation that I had the lens to high in the U bracket. By lowering lens down in the slots and a few tweaks on the lens bracket fastened to the Panamorph mount, the pincushion was reduced dramatically, I am well pleased. This then allowed me to reduce the over scan also. One other possible correction was to increase the throw distance, which I believe I will not have to, yay!
Taken, which was filmed in 2.40 looked really good with no noticeable pincushion, tomorrow I will try something in 2.35 to see if there is anything noticeable, maybe The Day After Tomorrow.

Testing and analyzing is no fun at all
post #299 of 359 Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Testing and analyzing is no fun at all
Heh, I love testing and analyzing -- fact is, if I let myself, I wouldn't ever get past the testing state and just keep on doing variation after variation of whatever to analyze the differences.
post #300 of 359 Old 02-16-2015, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I have awesome Bass

The long dilemma of my bass problems appear to be over. As mentioned above, my Peavey IRP2 7500 DSP amp had some problems producing bass levels that were adequate and were down right disappointing. After sending the amp back to Peavey and a revisit from Jeff with AccuCal today. I stand here today to say that I have bass. Jeff was really pleased and so am I. It really sounds goooood! Thanks Jeff for taking the time to stop back in and working with me through all of this. I really appreciate it.

One more thing I can cross off my list.
Diesel 48, doublewing11 and TMcG like this.

Last edited by 24Changer; 02-16-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page