The Salt Mine - A Dedicated Family Theater - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #271 of 341 Old 07-28-2015, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post
perfect name change. dont forget to adjust your signature. and congrats again, looks awesome!
Oops, I forgot the signature. Updated. Thanks!
Daniel Chaves likes this.

My in progress build thread: The Salt Mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 341 Old 07-29-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 984
When I first saw "Salt Mine" thread.................I was looking for a German native speaker since my first inclination was................................

Salt Mine in Berchtesgaden was a fun experience and ride ...........IMHO, Berchtesgaden is most beautiful place other than Yellowstone River looking toward Grand Tetons.

Too bad "Eagle's Nest" is located near by...........................puts a damper on beauty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saltmine.jpg
Views:	2109
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	857082  
RedStripe88 likes this.
post #273 of 341 Old 07-29-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 856
It does look a lot better. In a fairly monochromatic room, a zap of color seems like a good idea, but many times it stands out like the original color image did.

Glad that the grayscale one turned out well in the room. I also see that you went with the slightly zoomed in image. I think that fits better too since there is no blue sky/water to look at, and it allows the other features of the image to be more prominent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 341 Old 07-29-2015, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Son of a....

Your thread popped up in my subscribed threads and I was like. Hmmm what the hell build is this...then bam!!

Love the name change. Perfect!!!

Congrats again. You deserve it. Now go enjoy it with Thise wonderful kiddos
post #275 of 341 Old 08-10-2015, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I love your wet bar and wine racks! The shelves in this picture that are holding the six packs... I'm looking to maybe use a few of these in my rec room to possibly hold a game system or two. So not very heavy stuff. Do you think they could hold say maybe a Wii or Playstation? Did you build them or buy them? I found some instructions on the web on how to build my own but if I can get them pre-built I may take that route.

doublewing11 likes this.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #276 of 341 Old 08-10-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
I love your wet bar and wine racks! The shelves in this picture that are holding the six packs... I'm looking to maybe use a few of these in my rec room to possibly hold a game system or two. So not very heavy stuff. Do you think they could hold say maybe a Wii or Playstation? Did you build them or buy them? I found some instructions on the web on how to build my own but if I can get them pre-built I may take that route.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that 2 6-packs of bottles weigh more than a PlayStation and a Wii combined.

I've put a few of the Lack shelves from IKEA on the wall in my son's room and they hold quite a bit. I wouldn't fill them with encyclopedias, but I'd not hesitate to put gaming systems on them.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #277 of 341 Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that 2 6-packs of bottles weigh more than a PlayStation and a Wii combined.
lol Good point. I seem to be suffering from a case of the overcast Mondays.

Quote:
I've put a few of the Lack shelves from IKEA on the wall in my son's room and they hold quite a bit. I wouldn't fill them with encyclopedias, but I'd not hesitate to put gaming systems on them.
Will check out these Ikea Lack shelves you've referenced. Thanks!
thrillcat likes this.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #278 of 341 Old 08-12-2015, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
Thanks for the compliment!

We bought the shelves. The shelves were manufactured by the cabinet makers.

The shelves will hold those game systems no problem. The support for the shelves consists of a 5" long piece of wood that is roughly 2" high by 3" wide. A 5" long hole is drilled through the center of the wood. The hole was large enough for an 8" lag bolt to drop through with no screwing. That assembly was screwed into the stud. Then the shelf fit snugly over that 2"x3" piece of wood. The shelf has 2 of those supports.

So, would take a reasonable amount of weight to make the 2 lag bolts which are 2 1/2 inches into the studs sag.

Quote:

Agree 100%. No hesitation needed

Last edited by RedStripe88; 08-12-2015 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo
post #279 of 341 Old 08-12-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post
Thanks for the compliment!

We bought the shelves. The shelves were manufactured by the cabinet makers.

The shelves will hold those game systems no problem. The support for the shelves consists of a 5" long piece of wood that is roughly 2" high by 3" wide. A 5" long hole is drilled through the center of the wood. The hole was large enough for an 8" lag bolt to drop through with no screwing. That assembly was screwed into the stud. Then the shelf fit snugly over that 2"x3" piece of wood. The shelf has 2 of those supports.

So, would take a reasonable amount of weight to make the 2 lag bolts which are 2 1/2 inches into the studs sag.

Agree 100%. No hesitation needed

8" lags? You could put encyclopedias on yours! Several sets!!!
post #280 of 341 Old 09-06-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
What speakers did you install?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #281 of 341 Old 09-08-2015, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
What speakers did you install?
I have Triad speakers all around.

Up front, I have Triad Silver for LCRs. Because my room is small, the design called for shallow speakers. The Triad in-wall speakers fit the bill. On the sand-filled stage, just below the center, there is a Triad Cinema Plus sub which is powered by a Triad RackAmp 600 dsp.

There is a balancing sub in the right front column. That is a Triad in-wall bronze/6 sub powered by a Triad RackAmp 350 dsp.

The side surrounds are Triad Bronze. And there are two Triad in-ceiling Bronze LCRs doing rear surround duty in the rear soffit.

I have a few more pictures of the speakers in this post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141222-ScreenWallSpeakers2_zps469b5a37.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	2367268   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141222-RearSurroundCloseUp_zps24c1715b.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	2367270  

Last edited by RedStripe88; 02-26-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Moved pictures from Photobucket
post #282 of 341 Old 09-08-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Very nice Triad is a good choice.

Where in MD are you located?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #283 of 341 Old 10-07-2015, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Covering the Zero seals

A couple months back @auburnu008 , posted pics of trim that he installed to cover the Zero seals around his door. Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I instantly decided I would copy. But, I didn't get around to it until last weekend. Rainy cold weekends are perfect for minor theater updates.

As a reminder, here is a picture of the door prior to covering the aluminum zero seals.

I bought a couple pieces of 5/4" by 4" pine from Big Orange. Spent about $15. I used the table saw to cut those into strips that were about 1.25" wide. Then, I ran each strip through the saw a couple times to form the "L". Used a 1/8" roundover router bit to smooth the corner. Sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded, painted, painted over the course of 3 days. Here's the final product...

The rest was pretty straight forward. Cut the pieces to fit over the seals. Pic of the seal covers cut and ready for install:

Decided to use small strips of velcro to adhere the covers to the zero seals. That allows me to remove the covers if they are ever damaged or if I need to adjust the zero seals. Picture of the zero seal covers installed:

Big improvement IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151006-ZeroSealCoversPainted_zpsprexducf.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	2368922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151006-ZeroSealCoversCut_zpsnkk6kjyc.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	2368924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151007-ZeroSealCoversInstalled_zpsbrn6uuzr.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	2368926   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150313-ZeroSealsInstalled_zpse1uomcol.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	2368928  

Last edited by RedStripe88; 03-02-2018 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Moved pictures from Photobucket to AVS
post #284 of 341 Old 10-07-2015, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 342
This is still one of my favorite theaters on here. Just keeps getting better too! I like the covered trim, and the space outside the theater is spectacular. Great job all around!

Sean
post #285 of 341 Old 10-07-2015, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A family theater demands seating for the family

We had been making due with an Ekornes Stressless couch since the theater was functional last December. It was fine, but only sat three comfortably.

We spent a few months looking at seating options last spring before settling on a Jaymar Jesse sectional. A little pricey, but they offered the right sizes and options to fit seating for 4+ in my 12' wide room. My wife wanted cloth instead of leather. Who am I to argue? So, we settled on black cloth. I must admit the cloth is slightly more comfortable than the leather sectional we have upstairs. But, the cloth attracts lint like nobody's business.

The sectional has power recline on two seats which are centered in the room. Each seat has a headrest. The seating is great for hanging out with the family, cuddling or just lying down while watching a movie. We love it.

Enough prologue. A couple pictures. From the left front:

From the right front:

And, one more shot of the screen wall just because:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151007-TheaterSectional-2_zpsgvijunpg.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	2368948   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151007-TheaterSectional-1_zpssx66yhsx.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	2368950   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150914-ScreenWall_zpsmeny4hud.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	2368952   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150727-RearWallGreyscale-LightsOff_zpsipjwb6d1.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	2368954  

Last edited by RedStripe88; 03-02-2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Moved pictures from Photobucket to AVS
post #286 of 341 Old 10-12-2015, 03:13 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
post #287 of 341 Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dude.

After you posted on my thread i felt compelled to take a look at yours and i spent about an hour and half clicking my way through.

Wow.

Wow.

Outstanding craftsmanship and design. Well played sir, well played.
post #288 of 341 Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post
Thanks for the kind words. A lot of work, but worth every minute.

The furniture was ordered back in late April/early May. I can't recall when the order was finally placed. The sectional was delivered this morning, but I haven't seen it yet.

The room is relatively small 16' x 12' x 9' high. I have a Triad Cinema Plus sub on the stage behind the AT screen and a Triad in wall balancing sub in the left front column. Combined the bass is more than enough to shake the room.

The OSB/GG/Drywall combined with a nearly 4" thick door work wonders on sound transmission. Mid and high frequency sounds are imperceptible standing just outside the closed door even when the volume is cranked pretty high. The bass is a different story. When I crank the bass, low frequency rumbles can be felt just above the theater and just outside. The bass is substantially reduced, but it is perceptible.

The important thing for me is I no longer get "Turn that down!" nasty gram text messages from my wife at 10pm. That's a win for me.
Hey, I noticed you mentioned when you were putting up the drywall that you put 2 layers on the other adjacent wall (the one with the bedroom), is that one you speak of in hopes of not getting that 10PM text? Also, is it just the one adjacent wall that you covered, no other treatment on the other walls? And lastly, did you find you needed to turn down the bass when peopl are trying to sleep, or what you mean by substantially reduced is the soundproofing did it's job?

Any and all help would be appreciated
post #289 of 341 Old 01-23-2016, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmealio View Post
Dude.

After you posted on my thread i felt compelled to take a look at yours and i spent about an hour and half clicking my way through.

Wow.

Wow.

Outstanding craftsmanship and design. Well played sir, well played.
The "Dude" gave me a big smile. Thanks dude!

post #290 of 341 Old 01-23-2016, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
Hey, I noticed you mentioned when you were putting up the drywall that you put 2 layers on the other adjacent wall (the one with the bedroom), is that one you speak of in hopes of not getting that 10PM text? Also, is it just the one adjacent wall that you covered, no other treatment on the other walls? And lastly, did you find you needed to turn down the bass when peopl are trying to sleep, or what you mean by substantially reduced is the soundproofing did it's job?

Any and all help would be appreciated
The theater room ceiling and walls all have clips and hat channel. Then we installed 5/8" OSB, green glue, and then 5/8" drywall.

Outside the theater, I installed green glue and one layer of 5/8" drywall in the bedroom that shares a wall with the front wall of the theater on top of the existing 1/2" drywall. Backer boxes were installed behind outlets in that wall. This is the bedroom where our housekeeper sleeps. Would have been a big problem if sound penetrated into the room. I did not add drywall or green glue to any other walls outside the theater.

Back in the theater, minimized penetrations for electrical. Majority of electrical wire was pulled through holes in the OSB/GG/Drywall just large enough to fit the romex. Two 3/4" MDF backer boxes were used, one for 5 light switches and one for an outlet on the back wall.

I don't crank the bass all the way up late at night because that would be felt outside the theater, but I can run the bass at a level that gives a good explosion rumble. The higher frequency sounds cannot be heard outside the room with the door closed.

Short answer, the soundproofing did its job quite well. Some bass will escape the soundproofing, but the majority is contained in my room.

post #291 of 341 Old 01-23-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 631
I love your theater. I am in the process of updating mine (yet again), and am curious about your acoustic panels. Please bear with my numerous questions lol.

Did you just kreg jig them together or did you do an overlap/glue approach with 2 layers?
Are the frames just press fit into the surrounding trim or is there something that is attaching them to the wall?
Did you have any issues working with the larger frames?
I'm assuming you attached the OC to the wall and then just applied the frame over the top as opposed to stuffing into the frame after wrapping and installing on wall?
Did you use 1" or 2" thick panels?

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #292 of 341 Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post
I love your theater. I am in the process of updating mine (yet again), and am curious about your acoustic panels. Please bear with my numerous questions lol.

Did you just kreg jig them together or did you do an overlap/glue approach with 2 layers?
Thanks for the compliment. I'm happy to answer questions about my build.

Frame construction used a basic butt joint with two kreg screws per joint plus Titebond wood glue. Picture of the kreg screw holes in the pic below.

Quote:
Are the frames just press fit into the surrounding trim or is there something that is attaching them to the wall?
Frames are just friction fit into the surrounding trim. The frames are 1/8" shorter and narrower than the opening. Once the fabric was attached to the frame, the frames were the right size to friction fit into the opening.

One tip: I cut a few strips of left over pine trim into strips that were 1/8" thick. Then cut those strips into 2"-3" long pieces. Those pieces were used as wedges to test the friction fit of the horizontal and vertical pieces before assembling each frame.

Quote:
Did you have any issues working with the larger frames?
Wasn't bad working with the larger frames. Per a suggestion from @BIGmouthinDC , I installed midspan braces for frames taller or wider than 4 feet. I started covering the small frames first. I pulled the fabric too tight on a couple. By the time I covered the large frames, I had the feel down. So, I took my time and those came out OK.

Quote:
I'm assuming you attached the OC to the wall and then just applied the frame over the top as opposed to stuffing into the frame after wrapping and installing on wall?
Yes, the OC703/705 were attached to the wall using 3" long screws with a large head. I used THESE washer head cabinet screws from Home Depot.

Note: I friction fit the frames into the opening using those wedges to hold the frames in place. Then, I cut the OC703/OC705 to fit inside the frame opening. Then, the OC703/OC705 was installed. That way, once the frames were covered, I had no issue fitting the frames over the OC703/OC705.

Quote:
Did you use 1" or 2" thick panels?
All the OC703/OC705 are 2" thick.

The fabric frames are about 1.75" deep. With the friction fit, I didn't need the frames to bottom out against the wall.

Ripped a 5/4" x 4" finger jointed pine board in half. I wasn't willing to waste a bunch of relatively expensive FJ pine to have 2" deep frames instead of 1.75. I would have had to have bought twice the length of wood.

Or, I could have bought 5/4" x 6" FJ pine which would have been wide enough to rip into two 2" wide strips. But those boards were obscenely expensive.
bass addict likes this.

post #293 of 341 Old 01-25-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Much appreciated.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #294 of 341 Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Not that I post a lot here, definitely read a ton tho. I gotta say. Excellent job!
post #295 of 341 Old 02-14-2016, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat136913 View Post
Not that I post a lot here, definitely read a ton tho. I gotta say. Excellent job!
Thank you! Appreciate you reading through the thread.

post #296 of 341 Old 02-14-2016, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wet bar and wine bar complete

Has been a few months since I posted any updates. I've been working through a few projects to finish up the wet bar. Each step took longer than expected.

Going to Big Orange for back splash tiles would have been easy. Instead, my process took almost 2 months:
Selecting tile samples from online merchants. Waiting due to a delay in samples shipping. Selecting one tile from the from the 5+ samples. Ordering the glass tiles. Waiting for the tiles to arrive by UPS ground.

We ultimately selected glass tile from an online retailer in Michigan. We like the contemporary look a lot.

Also, selecting the marble counter and waiting for that install with the sink took longer than expected.

After all the waiting, I'm thrilled with the final product. Here are a few pictures.

We didn't want any outlets in the back splash. So, I installed a power strip under the upper cabinets.

Picture under the sink with the garbage disposal and I had to install an under sink pump to move the wastewater up 9 feet to the waste line. The builder did not run a waste line under the basement slab for the wet bar before cement was poured. Was too expensive to jackhammer a trench after.

This took the better part of a weekend to install. I cut and dry fit all the pipes to make sure I could fit everything in. Had to cut the bottom of the cabinet to fit the pump under the garbage disposal. Added some trim around the opening to give it a finished look.

rms8, quamosa, d_c and 1 others like this.

post #297 of 341 Old 02-14-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Super classy. Like it a lot.
post #298 of 341 Old 02-15-2016, 05:51 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5843 Post(s)
Liked: 5414
looks great, good example of the mini sump pump. Is that a 30 or 27 inch wide microwave? I need a 27 inch built in replacement.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 02-15-2016 at 07:14 AM.
post #299 of 341 Old 02-15-2016, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
looks great, good example of the mini sum pump. Is that a 30 or 27 inch wide microwave? I need a 27 inch built in replacement.
That's an ejector pump, right? To get the waste line pumped up to a level where it can get out the main sewage line, yes?

As you search for the microwave brace yourself for what they gouge for the trim panels that fit around them. That and the clearance needed can be tight.
post #300 of 341 Old 02-15-2016, 07:16 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5843 Post(s)
Liked: 5414
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page