The Salt Mine - A Dedicated Family Theater - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #331 of 341 Old 04-17-2019, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Awesome Theater Build - I have been researching for months now and am going to start my build today. I will be using many elements of your design as inspiration in my build (and of course lessons learned too)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 341 Old 04-18-2019, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kowal View Post
Awesome Theater Build - I have been researching for months now and am going to start my build today. I will be using many elements of your design as inspiration in my build (and of course lessons learned too)!
Thanks for the kind words.

All the best for your build... take your time to make sure the work is done with quality that you'll appreciate for years to come and try to maintain reasonable momentum so the build doesn't take years to complete.

My in progress build thread: The Salt Mine
post #333 of 341 Old 05-30-2019, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Saying goodbye to the Salt Mine

We have officially sold our home. With very mixed feelings, I must say goodbye to a room that I still proudly stare at with a silly grin on my face and think, "Wow, I really love this theater!"

Building The Salt Mine consumed most of my free time for the better part of 9 months. Despite the sweat, blood, frustration and occasional profanity, I can sincerely say that I would do it all again. In fact, I will almost certainly do it all again in our new home (after I finish a long list of other projects).

The theater was a major selling point for the buyers. In fact, they wanted to make sure the theater would be fully functional. Since I am taking most of my equipment with me, I spent the last 6-8 weeks buying used equipment to fulfill the buyers' request.

SPEAKERS
  • LCR: Was Triad In-wall Silver/4, now Triad In-wall Bronze/4
  • SURROUND LEFT/RIGHT: Was Triad In-wall Bronze/4 Surrounds, now Triad On-wall Bronze Surrounds
  • REAR LEFT/RIGHT: Triad Inceiling Bronze/8 LCR (No change)
  • MAIN SUB: Was Triad Cinema Plus sub, now Triad In-Ceiling Bronze/10 Sub
  • BALANCING SUB: Triad Bronze Inwall/6 Sub (replaced with same model, but more broken-in)

EQUIPMENT
  • PROJECTOR: Was JVC DLA-RS57, now Optoma HD27 1080p DLP
  • SCREEN: Falcon Vision Horizon (no change)
  • RECEIVER: Was Denon AVR-4520ci, now Pioneer Elite SC-55
  • MAIN SUB AMP: Was Rackamp 600 DSP, now Rackamp 250
  • BALANCING SUB AMP: Was Rackamp 350 DSP, now Rackamp 250
  • BLU-RAY PLAYER: Was Oppo 103D, now Sony BDPS3700

Despite the changes, the theater still sounds great and the picture quality is OK (with lights off).

Below are a few pictures I took of the new equipment...

Rack with Pioneer Elite Receiver, Sony bluray, and Triad RackAmp 250s:

Optoma projector

Triad Bronze On-wall Surrounds in side columns:

Triad Bronze/6 In-wall sub:

Triad Bronze/4 LCRs and InCeling/10 sub:

And a couple pictures of the screen wall for sentimental reasons...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530-OptomaProjector-resize.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	2573588   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530-ScreenWall-Speakers-resize.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	2573594   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530-ScreenView-RedLights-resize.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	2573596   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530-ScreenViewLightsOn-resize.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2573616   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530-EquipmentRack-resize-square.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2573624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530-TriadBronze-OnWall-Surround-resize-square.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	2573626   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530-Triad-InWall6-Sub-resize-square.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	2573628  

Last edited by RedStripe88; 05-30-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Modified formatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 341 Old 05-30-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Good to see a theater seen as a positive in real estate. Typically they’re not.

As I hunt for jobs in a different state, I go back and forth on how much I should downplay the theater in my house, as it’s not even technically considered part of the house - it’s “bonus space”.

But I also eagerly await the chance build a new room, hoping to incorporate what I’ve learned building my current room.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedStripe88 likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #335 of 341 Old 05-30-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 573
The Salt Mine has been an inspiration to several of us here on the forums, and truly some innovative ideas. Thanks for sharing the build, and we are looking forward to your next adventure.

I'd make sure the new buyer is well aware of this thread, and to the blood, sweat and tears you've put into the room of which they reside. I, personally, always find it fascinating of seeing the amount of efforts of others have done.

Take care, and watching for your next build.
RedStripe88 likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #336 of 341 Old 05-30-2019, 11:42 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5861 Post(s)
Liked: 5422
Good strategy on swapping out your more expensive gear, I have a closet full of stuff that was no longer needed when I upgraded, just in case I sell my house. I think you will discover the next theater construction project goes a lot quicker. You will spend less time researching and planning each step. I look forward to seeing what you do next.
post #337 of 341 Old 05-30-2019, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 322
That's awesome! Congrats on the sale and I look forward to your future build. Yours is one of the builds I have gone through a few times as I work through mine.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #338 of 341 Old 05-30-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Is this what they mean by that whole "Circle of Life" thing? One theater dies, another is born?
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #339 of 341 Old 06-03-2019, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Good to see a theater seen as a positive in real estate. Typically they’re not.

As I hunt for jobs in a different state, I go back and forth on how much I should downplay the theater in my house, as it’s not even technically considered part of the house - it’s “bonus space”.

But I also eagerly await the chance build a new room, hoping to incorporate what I’ve learned building my current room.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In our case, the theater was a big part of the reason the buyers selected our 10 year old home over others. New homes (tear downs of small cape cods) that were on the market at the same time had builder grade theater rooms or none at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
The Salt Mine has been an inspiration to several of us here on the forums, and truly some innovative ideas. Thanks for sharing the build, and we are looking forward to your next adventure.

I'd make sure the new buyer is well aware of this thread, and to the blood, sweat and tears you've put into the room of which they reside. I, personally, always find it fascinating of seeing the amount of efforts of others have done.

Take care, and watching for your next build.
You're quite welcome. Documenting the build was one way of giving back for all the knowledge shared by others in this forum.

I'm planning to walk through the theater with the buyers later this month. If they are interested in the construction, I will point them to the thread so they can see how it came together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Good strategy on swapping out your more expensive gear, I have a closet full of stuff that was no longer needed when I upgraded, just in case I sell my house. I think you will discover the next theater construction project goes a lot quicker. You will spend less time researching and planning each step. I look forward to seeing what you do next.
I am counting on a lot less planning and rework in the next build.

My first inclination was to rebuild a slightly larger version of the Salt Mine, but I'm sure that I'll want to try a few new things. For example, I'd like a fiber optic star ceiling. I'll almost certainly reach out for some advice if you're still available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
That's awesome! Congrats on the sale and I look forward to your future build. Yours is one of the builds I have gone through a few times as I work through mine.
Thanks. Glad the thread is still useful. Good luck on your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Is this what they mean by that whole "Circle of Life" thing? One theater dies, another is born?
The Salt Mine is far from dead. If the buyer's excitement is any indication, the theater is on the verge of a rebirth... they will probably use it more frequently than I did.

On the other hand, there will be a "Circle of Life" in our new home. The builder's grade theater in our new house will soon die... and a new Salt Mine will be born in its place.
NickTheGreat and thrillcat like this.

post #340 of 341 Old 06-05-2019, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 2272
I’m definitely looking forward to how your new cinema shapes up. Dimensions of builder-grade theater? Going to consider Atmos hidden in that star ceiling? It’s funny—the wife and I pop into new construction model homes every couple weeks as a hobby....but the last few times, we’re realizing that we’re slowly switching from “oh that’s cool” to “we should request this when....errrr...IF we move...errrr...not that we plan to.”

I wish you luck with your move, and great move replacing the gear for the buyer. Again, looking forward to what lies in store for the....Gold Mine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #341 of 341 Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Congratulations on the sale of the house. Your build is definitely one i plan to go back and reread before i get started on my build. It is hard though to walk away from a house you poured you heart and soul into to get just right. We close the sale of our house on Friday this week and that will end that chapter. I have been so busy with te new place i haven't had time to process it. I know i can build everything i had at the last house again, but I am sure it will be hard at closing. Good luck on the new house. I am looking forward to seeing what you do next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page