The Salt Mine - A Dedicated Family Theater - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #151 of 341 Old 12-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
This room is gonna kick arse!

My First Build Ever in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 341 Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
This room is gonna kick arse!
Thanks man. I sure hope so.

Jeff from Night Sky Murals came by last Thursday to paint the star ceiling. It's beautiful. Jeff let my daughter peek before it was done (the rest of us had to wait). She called me at work to say "it's awesome, it's awesome, you have to see the stars, it's awesome".

I spent a long time trying to get a decent picture, but I'm not that skilled when the automatic settings don't work.

Also, made some progress this weekend building fabric frames. Will hopefully post an update tonight.

I saw your 'to do' list, a bit intimidating. How's your bar shaping up?

My in progress build thread: The Salt Mine

Last edited by RedStripe88; 12-08-2014 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Fixed incorrect Night Sky Murals link syntax
post #153 of 341 Old 12-08-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejs15 View Post
Wow, great progress!!! Everything is looking great, can't wait to see the mural !!
Thanks! The mural was done last Thursday night. Jeff did a great job. I've been trying to get a picture, but no luck yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Man everything looks great. I wish I would have had the patience to sand after priming my trim. Hell, to be honest, I just hung it, caulked it, slapped a couple of coats of paint on it, spackled the nail holes, sanded those, and called it a day. It really looks like your patience paid off.

What color temperature are your lights? They look like standard 3000K. It could just be the camera. But if I could suggest something it would be to get 4000K or 5000K lights. It seems like that color temperature would go better in a room with gray and blue. I've always heard the more yellowish bulbs are more for browns, and greens, natural tones, etc. I may be seeing it wrong in the pictures and your room still looks great, but a lot of guys forget about bulb temperature in respect to wall color.
I have temporary incandescent lights in the room now. I need to order the dimmable Cree LEDs. I was thinking 2700K/3000K, but I'll try a 4000K. We have a couple in our kitchen over the sink. My wife is not a fan of how cold the 4000K look in the kitchen, but that may be a color scheme mismatch since the kitchen is yellow with light brown cabinets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
After the last puff of paint, was the sound of your sputtering sprayer replaced by the herald of trumpets and angels singing?
Quite the transformation for 2 hours of work. Looking good!
There was singing, but it didn't sound like an angel. Seriously, there was singing. My mom laughed - she knew I was pretty excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Your progress is very very commendable, and the room is coming together nicely. I might have missed this, but what color do you plan to do the wall panels?

Bravo!
Thanks Matt. Has been a relentless push over the past few weeks. I hope to catch up on my sleep over the holidays. Using GOM Anchorage fabric in Wolf for the wall frames.

The columns and below the screen will be GOM Ancorage in Onyx.

And have something a bit different planned for the back wall. Putting a large fabric frame with a picture of the Jamaican coast line at dusk on the back wall. nickbuoll graciously did the Photoshop work. Received the fabric print from Spoonflower on Friday. Came out quite nice.

I did a poor mock up of the back wall in PowerPoint - dimensions and colors are off a bit:

If it doesn't work, I'll replace it with the Wolf to match all of the other wall frames.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 341 Old 12-08-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Framing

Work shifted to the the all too familiar fabric frames late last week

Need to build 26 fabric frames
Left wall: 6
Right wall: 6
Rear wall: 6
Columns: 6
Below screen: 2

Will probably also put a frame on the door, but I haven't tackled how I'm doing that yet.

Per BIG's recommendation, used the finger-jointed pine 5/4 x 4" from Big Orange for the wall frames. Started by cutting that to size, ripping the boards in half and then routing a 45 degree chamfer which will give the frames a more interesting profile where the frame meets the wood trim.

I've found that when I batch process, I'm able to move much more quickly than when I'm jumping between tasks and tools. Measure all the panel openings, then rough cut all of the 5/4 x 4" FJ pine, then rip all the rough cut wood, then route edges on all the ripped wood. Then stage wood for fine measurement, cut to fit (leaving 1/8" gap on 2 sides), assemble.

A couple pics from the prep:

Then assembled two of the smaller frames. Used the Kreg pocket hole jig to attach the corners (2 screws per corner):

The first 2 frames probably took 45 minutes. Worked out some of the process steps that would help speed that up. Then moved on to assemble all of the frames below the chair rail:

The next morning we moved on to the upper wall frames, a few pics of that progress:

And the screen wall shot:

In the last couple pics above, you'll see the wood for the remaining frames on the stage just behind the lower shelf. Unfortunately, that work is on hold until Friday or Saturday because of a really busy week at work.

post #155 of 341 Old 12-08-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Coming together beautifully.

Did you intend for the frame to protrude slightly ?
post #156 of 341 Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Carpet's in

With the theater painted, the carpet which has been on hold since just before Thanksgiving could finally be installed. We went with the Masland Collaboration in Indigo

The installers showed up today around 2 and were done in a couple hours. Small room, no stage to carpet and no riser to carpet. I'm happy with the carpet but not happy with all the scratches that the carpet made on my recently painted trim. The installer apologized once I brought it up. He tried to wipe off the scratches with a wet cloth. That didn't work, no surprise.

Will have to touch up a few baseboards and corners of columns.

A few pics of the carpeted room. The carpet is a little darker in person:

This pic does a pretty good job of showing the detail in the carpet:

I also tried again to take a couple pictures of the Night Sky Mural. Got a couple crappy pics, but thought I'd post them anyway:

And last but not least, the screen wall shot post carpet:

Looking forward to getting back to work on the frames next weekend, but enjoying a bit of time out of the theater after the push of the last couple weeks.

Last edited by RedStripe88; 12-10-2014 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Added the last picture, screen wall post carpet. Not sure how I forgot that earlier.
post #157 of 341 Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejs15 View Post
Coming together beautifully.

Did you intend for the frame to protrude slightly ?

I'm using 2" OC703 and OC705. So, the frame will be proud of the trim 1/4"-1/2". The chair rail will be proud of the panels by ~1/2".

I didn't want to build the trim out 2 inches from the wall. Should give the walls a little visual variety also.

post #158 of 341 Old 12-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post

Jeff from Night Sky Murals came by last Thursday to paint the star ceiling. It's beautiful. Jeff let my daughter peek before it was done (the rest of us had to wait). She called me at work to say "it's awesome, it's awesome, you have to see the stars, it's awesome".

I spent a long time trying to get a decent picture, but I'm not that skilled when the automatic settings don't work.

Also, made some progress this weekend building fabric frames. Will hopefully post an update tonight.

You've reached some major milestones with the carpet and the night sky mural. I tried to keep my build simple by limiting the detail work. You are coasting right through it all.

I'm still waiting for the laminate sheets for the countertops to come in. I want to laminate the bar tops before moving forward with finishing the bars. Not to mention all this cold rainy weather is slowing me down.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #159 of 341 Old 12-09-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 362
post #160 of 341 Old 12-09-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Hey Red, if the carpet is brown, you may want to stay away from whiter colored bulbs like I suggested earlier. I think 4000K, which I think is what you said you were thinking of going with, would be perfect.
post #161 of 341 Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ouch....

The envy....

It hurts sooo much....
post #162 of 341 Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 447 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5951 Post(s)
Liked: 5508
post #163 of 341 Old 12-09-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
That's a very interesting carpet. Is it flat/very short?
Yes, it's very short almost like a commercial carpet. We used an 8lb carpet pad under it so that the floor isn't too hard.

post #164 of 341 Old 12-09-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Hey Red, if the carpet is brown, you may want to stay away from whiter colored bulbs like I suggested earlier. I think 4000K, which I think is what you said you were thinking of going with, would be perfect.
My pictures aren't great. The carpet is mixed shades of grey with some shades of dark blue/grey that match the Benjamin Moore Abyss paint.

Sounds like the 4000K should still work since there's no brown in the carpet?

post #165 of 341 Old 12-09-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Looks great!
That's high praise coming from you BIG. Very much appreciated.

Getting close to the movie time...

post #166 of 341 Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Quote:
My pictures aren't great. The carpet is mixed shades of grey with some shades of dark blue/grey that match the Benjamin Moore Abyss paint.

Sounds like the 4000K should still work since there's no brown in the carpet?
Red,
It's hard for me to make out any gray or blue in the carpet. Sorry about that. It looks great though either way. I found this bulb temperature selector online the other day. It may be of help to you. The link is here. But in any case 4000K should look fantastic. I would use 5000K, personally, but that's just my personal preference. 4000K may be the perfect "meet in the middle" temperature you and your wife are looking for.
post #167 of 341 Old 12-11-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Wow, this progress puts me to absolute shame. Congrats, lookin great!

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
List of Pro Designers
Glacial paced construction Since 2009
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"
post #168 of 341 Old 12-12-2014, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Hey!!! I wondered if this was our build thread when I saw Bethesda in the name. Nice!

Hey, I really enjoyed meeting you and your family. I usually try to have people wait for me to finish, but your daughter was too dang cute to say no to more than a couple of times. I hope that you guys have lots of fun in there. That's going to be a fun place for you guys to spend time. It's turning out nicely.

I wish I would have taken my camera with me on that trip... but I was going to be on too many flights to want to lug it around. But, I seem to be doing more work in your area... so if you want some better pictures, then I'll drop by on my next trip and get some for you.

Anyway, I wanted to say hi to you guys. I hope you had a great trip.

Jeff

Quote:

post #169 of 341 Old 12-25-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post
Wow, this progress puts me to absolute shame. Congrats, lookin great!
Thanks for the kind words and apologies for the delayed reply. Have been in the theater. Will post pics.

Hope you're having a good holiday down under

post #170 of 341 Old 12-25-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
Hey!!! I wondered if this was our build thread when I saw Bethesda in the name. Nice!

Hey, I really enjoyed meeting you and your family. I usually try to have people wait for me to finish, but your daughter was too dang cute to say no to more than a couple of times. I hope that you guys have lots of fun in there. That's going to be a fun place for you guys to spend time. It's turning out nicely.

I wish I would have taken my camera with me on that trip... but I was going to be on too many flights to want to lug it around. But, I seem to be doing more work in your area... so if you want some better pictures, then I'll drop by on my next trip and get some for you.

Anyway, I wanted to say hi to you guys. I hope you had a great trip.

Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for the note. We enjoyed having you over, especially my son. The night sky ceiling is a BIG hit. I expect to send a couple referrals your way.

Would be fantastic if you could get a decent pic next time you pass through DC.

Happy Holidays!!

post #171 of 341 Old 12-25-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Building panels

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Hope you each had a relaxing day with family and/or friends.

Getting caught up on posting progress. Picking up where I left off. Have continued working on the panels with a LOT of help from my dad who is visiting through the end of the year.

Reinforced the large panels (any with one dimension over 50") with a mid-span support. Then my dad painted all the frames with flat black paint. A couple pictures of the frames staged outside the theater and inside.

Next up, we started on the absorption and diffusion. Using a combination of OC703 and OC705 all 2". Bought the materials from ATS Acoustics:

I have a few sheets left over for anyone in the DC area who is looking for discounted product.

Picture of the OC703 workstation (inside the theater). Covered the carpet with 1 mil plastic to protect it from the foot traffic and fibers. You can see the first piece of OC703 installed in the background. Tried to make the OC703 about 1/8" to 1/4" smaller than the frame. Used the ATS acoustics impaling clips to hold the panels on the wall, typically 2-3 clips per panel.

Worked our way around the room one frame at a time, trying to minimize waste (thinking that I had ordered just enough).

Then did the same with the OC705 which was placed on the upper half of the walls and specific locations per the Erskine layout that Shawn did.

Working with this stuff wasn't fun. Kept masks on the entire time to avoid inhaling the fibers. Also vacuumed after just about every panel to minimize the amount of loose fibers floating about.

To do list:
1) Cover the wall panels with Wolf GOM
2) Cover the column panels with Onyx GOM
3) Build panel around the switches
4) Figure out a plan for the door
5) Install LEDs (ceiling tray and above base boards)

post #172 of 341 Old 12-25-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Adventures with GOM

Before starting with the GOM, took an hour to connect the LED screen wash lights. A couple pictures of the LEDs:

Used a constant voltage dimmable power supply. But haven't had any luck getting the LEDs to dim with the recommended dimmer. I could live with a simple on/off, but would prefer the dimming effect. Maybe I need a constant current power supply.

The steps to cover panels are so thoroughly documented here on AVS that I'll really don't have much to add other than a few of my pics:

GOM workstation just outside the theater in the rec room.

After a couple evenings, we finished the grey panels. The room looked like this:

As mentioned before, we decided to try something a bit different on the back wall. We wanted a picture to bring a bit of color and visual interest into the room. Well, here it is:

We like it. My parents love it. I'm guessing others will feel that it degrades the look of the room. We'll live with it for a few months. If we want to change it, I have more than enough Wolf GOM.

Moved on to the panels for the columns next. Covering those with Onyx GOM. Onyx GOM setup on the workstation with all the tools I used for this step:

GOM for first column done and friction fit in place:

Onyx GOM wrapped around the frames for the two stage columns. Friction fit in place

Screen wall shot after all panels covered with GOM:

To do list:
1) Cover the wall panels with Wolf GOM
2) Cover the column panels with Onyx GOM

3) Build panel for back wall around the switches
4) Figure out a plan for the door
5) Install LEDs (ceiling tray and above base boards)

Last edited by RedStripe88; 12-25-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Typo, duplicate sentence
post #173 of 341 Old 12-25-2014, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Speakers are installed

Decided to put the 'to do' list items on hold in favor of having a functioning theater for Christmas and the holidays. Started by installing the Silver LCRs and the Triad Cinema Plus Sub up front. The one tricky element was that the Erskine layout called for the center to be positioned above the Cinema Plus sub. Decided to build another goal post, similar to the minimalist screen wall, with a shelf for the center.

After the speakers were in, I stared at the screen wall for what seemed like 20 minutes no doubt with a silly grin on my face:

Probably overkill, but I ordered 2-4 Isolate It pads for the two subs, the LCRs and the side surrounds. Initially, I was concerned with minimizing vibrations in the column with the balancing sub. But, why stop there?

To hold the Triads in place, used leveling mounts with rubber isolators. Bought these from a place in California which I cannot recall. The leveling mounts are used to isolate vibrating machinery. Figured they shouldn't hurt in this application. You'll see wooden shelves above each of the LCR, side surround and balancing sub. The leveling mounts are tightened against the shelf to put slight pressure on the Triads to hold them in place.

The Cinema Plus sub came with isolation clips to mount the sub to a wall. That, obviously wouldn't work in this application. So, I rigged up an alternative to use the provided isolation clips. Mounted the clips to a 20" piece of 5/4"x4" Then screwed the 5/4x4" to the stage. That description isn't great, probably easier to understand with a picture:

The balancing sub in the front left column was placed on 2 square Isolate It pads and has two leveling feet to hold the sub in place:

Each side surround was placed on two circular Isolate It pads and has one leveling foot to hold it in place.

Finally, installed the two rear ceiling surrounds.

Last edited by RedStripe88; 12-25-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Incorrect BBCODE for Isolate It link
post #174 of 341 Old 12-25-2014, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Committed the cardinal sin...

My excuse for prematurely hanging the PJ: wanted a functional room for the holidays. So, even though there are dozen things on the to-do list, I was willing to take the risk. Plan to keep plugging away at the open items with a movie or music playing in the background.

Reassembled the Falcon 4K screen and promptly hung it. A few pictures of the screen wall and front left.

And a few pictures of the room: Front left of the room

Carpet close-up (still trying to get a picture that looks half as decent as it does in person).

And the rear wall:

With all of that in place, we powered up the projector for the kids and watched the first movie. I let the kids pick. They went with "The Lorax" which was fine. They loved the picture, the sound, everything. I got more hugs and kisses than I could count. Made the last 6+ months of building worth it.

I planned to watch an adult movie after The Lorax, but I was just exhausted. I watched Avatar the next day while I gave the room a thorough cleaning. Christmas Eve, we watched the Sound of Music with my parents. They really enjoyed the sound, and I have yet to calibrate it.

This room is going to get a lot of use.

post #175 of 341 Old 12-26-2014, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Merry Christmas !! Great story of the hugs and kisses. What it's all about!!

Room looks fantastic. The end is near
post #176 of 341 Old 12-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Wow... what a difference! You're a brave man to hang that projector with things still on the To-Do list... but we'll just have to see how you do. I know one of your secrets for keeping your build moving along so smoothly, and swiftly... it's your dad. He got in there and had things ready for me, and that vent cover painted before I even knew it. He's a keeper, and I had a blast talking with him.

I'm glad your son had fun... he was really fun and I hope I didn't get him too wound up before his bedtime.

Anyway... the room looks great! I will definitely try to get over there and get some pictures the next time I'm out your way.

Have a great New Year!

Jeff
post #177 of 341 Old 12-26-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 741
A nice clean look. Excellent job!

After watching your first couple movies are you able to comment on the sound proofing and HVAC?
Does your air exchange system keep the room cool with the projector on and the family watching? Can you hear the fans running or is it essentially silent? I have a similarly sized room and am seriously contemplating the same HVAC setup.

Last edited by DavidK442; 12-26-2014 at 06:56 PM.
post #178 of 341 Old 12-26-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Looks awesome. I'm digging the pic in the back of the room. Is it lit up from behind? Wasn't sure.

Other question. Went back to reread ur build. I'm having drywall fears. Did u chalk ur seams for second layer too? I know to do first layer and both layers for floor.

Jim
post #179 of 341 Old 12-27-2014, 02:44 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Everything looks great andI really like the colors you are using. Your's falls in to another "show my wife" thread of colors that work well in a HT that aren't too dark and gloomy or too "cheesy theater" looking, as she would say. The trim color is exactly what I have been looking for, and I really like your overall design.
post #180 of 341 Old 12-28-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I have to admit I like it, I really do, Im just not sold on that picture in the back, feels more like a lobby piece then something you put into a fairly balanced color scheme BUT that is just me and this is your theater, so if you love it then that is what truly matters.

Looking forward to more progress on this really well detailed build. Thank you.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page