The Salt Mine - A Dedicated Family Theater - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #181 of 341 Old 12-28-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I like the color scheme. Turned out nice. Are the isolation clips screwed into the speakers or into the shelves holding the speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 341 Old 12-28-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Nice job on your HT! Your patience and attention to detail paid off with a beautiful finish. Nice touch with the pic on the rear wall - very unique.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
post #183 of 341 Old 12-29-2014, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
A nice clean look. Excellent job!

After watching your first couple movies are you able to comment on the sound proofing and HVAC?
Does your air exchange system keep the room cool with the projector on and the family watching? Can you hear the fans running or is it essentially silent? I have a similarly sized room and am seriously contemplating the same HVAC setup.
Thanks for the compliments.

Soundproofing: works well for most frequencies except sound escaping around the door. When I ran the bass a bit hot, my wife could feel vibration on the floor above. Other than that, no complaints. I still need to finish my door which will have zero seals including an automatic bottom

HVAC/fans: very pleased. Kept the room cool with four adults and five kids. At one point my wife said the room was feeling too drafty so I turned the supply and return fans off. I can barely hear the return fan in the theater. Sounds about as loud as the JVC projector fan - which isn't loud.

Based on my experience so far, the dual inline fan solution is worth serious consideration.
DavidK442 likes this.

My in progress build thread: The Salt Mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 341 Old 12-29-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post
HVAC/fans: very pleased. Kept the room cool with four adults and five kids. At one point my wife said the room was feeling too drafty so I turned the supply and return fans off. I can barely hear the return fan in the theater. Sounds about as loud as the JVC projector fan - which isn't loud.
Based on my experience so far, the dual inline fan solution is worth serious consideration.
Glad that the dead vent setup worked out.
Just a question: Was there not enough room between the joists to install the return fan in the rec-room side of the duct work? That would have distanced the noise source from your theater and eliminated the need to build the fancy metal deflector box.
post #185 of 341 Old 12-29-2014, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
So far so good!
post #186 of 341 Old 12-29-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Such a great build thread. I used some of your advice when building my own wood accent wall. I found my local Rockler, picked up some dye, shellac etc and went to town. Came out great so thanks for the great insights!
post #187 of 341 Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Glad that the dead vent setup worked out.
Just a question: Was there not enough room between the joists to install the return fan in the rec-room side of the duct work? That would have distanced the noise source from your theater and eliminated the need to build the fancy metal deflector box.
I really wanted both fans outside the room, but I couldn't fine a spot that worked and got wife approval.

Height between the joists was an issue. I have 12" from subfloor to the joist bottom. The fan I used is 11 3/8". Would not have allowed for drywall/GG on the subfloor to reduce fan noise going up to our kitchen which is above the rec room unless I did a bump out in our rec room ceiling to create space for the fan. No chance on getting that approved.

If you can avoid the fancy muffler box, that would be a great time savings.

post #188 of 341 Old 01-01-2015, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb151 View Post
Such a great build thread. I used some of your advice when building my own wood accent wall. I found my local Rockler, picked up some dye, shellac etc and went to town. Came out great so thanks for the great insights!
My pleasure. I'm glad it worked well for you too.

post #189 of 341 Old 01-01-2015, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post
So far so good!
Thanks. Your build thread was an inspiration and very helpful in helping me plan my build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtwi View Post
Nice job on your HT! Your patience and attention to detail paid off with a beautiful finish. Nice touch with the pic on the rear wall - very unique.
Thx. Was tough to maintain the patience since I (and my wife) wanted the builds done quickly. But anytime I started to rush, I wasn't happy with the finish.

Appreciate the vote for the rear wall picture too. I've received mostly positive feedback from people who have seen the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post
I like the color scheme. Turned out nice. Are the isolation clips screwed into the speakers or into the shelves holding the speakers?
The insulation feet are screwed through holes in the shelves above the speakers. The rubber on the bottoms of the leveling feet touch the tops of the cabinets. I turned each one less than twice after the rubber touched the speakers to apply pressure to hold the speakers in place

post #190 of 341 Old 01-01-2015, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Merry Christmas !! Great story of the hugs and kisses. What it's all about!!

Room looks fantastic. The end is near
Thx Brian. And the hugs have kept coming. Puts a smile on my face every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Everything looks great and I really like the colors you are using. Your's falls in to another "show my wife" thread of colors that work well in a HT that aren't too dark and gloomy or too "cheesy theater" looking, as she would say. The trim color is exactly what I have been looking for, and I really like your overall design.
We're really pleased that we minimized the amount of black in the room. There are slight reflections during bright scenes, but nothing that I've found distracting. That said, the colors would not work for someone who wants the screen wall to disappear when the lights are off.

I will post a few more pics this over the next couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
I have to admit I like it, I really do, Im just not sold on that picture in the back, feels more like a lobby piece then something you put into a fairly balanced color scheme BUT that is just me and this is your theater, so if you love it then that is what truly matters.

Looking forward to more progress on this really well detailed build. Thank you.
Daniel, Appreciate the honest feedback on the rear wall pic. We'll see how we feel about it after a few months.

Another option I considered is applying a grey color filter (I think that's the right terminology) to the picture to make it more grey hues than blue. I may try that if we decide to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
Looks awesome. I'm digging the pic in the back of the room. Is it lit up from behind? Wasn't sure.

Other question. Went back to reread ur build. I'm having drywall fears. Did u chalk ur seams for second layer too? I know to do first layer and both layers for floor.

Jim
The pic isn't lit from behind, just the rear recessed lights illuminating it from the front.

I caulked the floor, ceiling and corner seams after the first and second layers. I didn't caulk drywall seams on the walls or ceiling. Instead, all seams on the second layer were staggered to make sure first and second layer seams did not line up.
Daniel Chaves likes this.

post #191 of 341 Old 01-02-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Very nice theater! You have done a wonderful job and nice speaker choice!

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #192 of 341 Old 01-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 230
This is a fantastic build. I love the paneling method - the trim really makes the room look upscale. I'm curious how no-riser is going to work out for you - my wife doesn't want one for our basement either and I'm leaning that way but it would be at the expense of a second row of seats.

What was the process for the walls? Studs, clips and channels, OSB, green glue and then drywall? Or are there 2 layers of drywall? Really great job.
post #193 of 341 Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Very nice theater! You have done a wonderful job and nice speaker choice!
Thanks for checking out my build. I really appreciate the compliments especially since you're sporting a pretty nice room too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
This is a fantastic build. I love the paneling method - the trim really makes the room look upscale. I'm curious how no-riser is going to work out for you - my wife doesn't want one for our basement either and I'm leaning that way but it would be at the expense of a second row of seats.

What was the process for the walls? Studs, clips and channels, OSB, green glue and then drywall? Or are there 2 layers of drywall? Really great job.
The trim took much longer than I expected, but I'm really pleased with the result also.

Regarding the no-riser, my room is relatively small - roughly 12' x 16'. So, I didn't have space for a second row. I'm going with a home theater sectional, but haven't picked one out yet. Will hopefully have seating for 5-6, but with about 3 seats that have great audio.

post #194 of 341 Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Base LEDs and Crown

Although the pace of work slowed down considerably over the holidays, I did manage to get the base LEDs and Crown installed. Still need to fill the pinner holes and touchup the crown, but that can wait until next weekend.

Recall that when the plywood trim backer was installed, the backer above the base had a slight angle so I could later install LED strips. I also put some HVAC foil tape between the backer for the base and the backer for the lowest rail. Here's an old pic:

Fast forward a few months and the base LEDs are in. Used RGB LEDs, but I like blue the best. My daughter loves playing with the different settings particularly the disco setting. Power supplies are located in the two rear columns. Pics tell the story best:

Left Front with screen wash lights:

Right Front with screen wash lights:

Right front with only projector:

And a few pictures of the room with the crown installed.

Front right:

Front right close up:

Front left:

Screen wall with LEDs and screen wash lights:

Still need to install the tray LEDs, build the acoustic panel around the switches, build the door (GG, MDF, acoustic panel), etc.

post #195 of 341 Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
Wow... what a difference! You're a brave man to hang that projector with things still on the To-Do list... but we'll just have to see how you do. I know one of your secrets for keeping your build moving along so smoothly, and swiftly... it's your dad. He got in there and had things ready for me, and that vent cover painted before I even knew it. He's a keeper, and I had a blast talking with him.

I'm glad your son had fun... he was really fun and I hope I didn't get him too wound up before his bedtime.

Anyway... the room looks great! I will definitely try to get over there and get some pictures the next time I'm out your way.

Have a great New Year!

Jeff
Happy New Year Jeff!

You're absolutely right about my dad being one of the big secrets in the progress I've made over the past 5-6 weeks. He has been great including staying up with me several nights until 1am. My mom stayed up a few nights with us too. They both headed home just before the New Year.

No problem on playing with my son just before bedtime. He enjoyed it.

I look forward to you stopping by next time you're in DC to snap a few pictures of the ceiling. That will give me a chance to show off the hopefully 99% finished room.

post #196 of 341 Old 01-04-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 741
The LED's low in the wall are a great idea. Excellent that they wash the floor without shining on the screen.
The entire room turned out very well. Looking forward to completion photos with the ceiling.

Last edited by DavidK442; 01-04-2015 at 08:33 AM.
post #197 of 341 Old 01-04-2015, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Just an fyi I plan on building an exact clone of this room hahah. Just showed my wife and she loves it. Your room is exactly the size of ours and I love the color scheme
post #198 of 341 Old 01-04-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Absolutely perfect! I love the led's.

Last edited by JVoth; 01-05-2015 at 08:05 AM.
post #199 of 341 Old 01-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I'd love to see the 99% finished room when I'm back there... and get your kids riled up again before bedtime. Tell your daughter, "Hola" for me.

I'll be in touch when I have plans to be back out that way... and we can try to work it out so I can drop by again. Looking forward to it.

Jeff

Quote:
Happy New Year Jeff!

You're absolutely right about my dad being one of the big secrets in the progress I've made over the past 5-6 weeks. He has been great including staying up with me several nights until 1am. My mom stayed up a few nights with us too. They both headed home just before the New Year.

No problem on playing with my son just before bedtime. He enjoyed it.

I look forward to you stopping by next time you're in DC to snap a few pictures of the ceiling. That will give me a chance to show off the hopefully 99% finished room.
post #200 of 341 Old 01-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Everything is working together well on this build. I like the LEDs both on the screen and the base trim. Did you notice a difference in the light dispersion when using the foil tape? Are you controlling the lights with the provided rgb controller?

My First Build Ever in progress
post #201 of 341 Old 01-05-2015, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Although the pace of work slowed down considerably over the holidays, I did manage to get the base LEDs and Crown installed. Still need to fill the pinner holes and touchup the crown, but that can wait until next weekend.

Recall that when the plywood trim backer was installed, the backer above the base had a slight angle so I could later install LED strips. I also put some HVAC foil tape between the backer for the base and the backer for the lowest rail. Here's an old pic:

Fast forward a few months and the base LEDs are in. Used RGB LEDs, but I like blue the best. My daughter loves playing with the different settings particularly the disco setting. Power supplies are located in the two rear columns. Pics tell the story best:.

Can you elaborate a little on how the LEDs are installed in the baseboard ?
post #202 of 341 Old 01-05-2015, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejs15 View Post
Can you elaborate a little on how the LEDs are installed in the baseboard ?
This picture may help:

I don't recall the exact angles I used for the bottom rail and the plywood backer for the bottom rail. If I were to guess, I'd say the angle on the plywood backer was 20-30 degrees and the angle on the bottom rail was 40-45 degrees.

The foil HVAC tape was placed between the two plywood backers in the picture above.

The LED strips came with 3M 2-sided tape. That was used to stick the LEDs to the bottom of the plywood backer.

Hope that makes sense.

post #203 of 341 Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
Everything is working together well on this build. I like the LEDs both on the screen and the base trim. Did you notice a difference in the light dispersion when using the foil tape? Are you controlling the lights with the provided rgb controller?
Honestly, I didn't try the base LEDs without the foil tape, but I'm guessing that the foil tape has helped to make the glow of the LEDs look pretty even/continuous. I really cannot tell where each LED is.

I am using RGB controllers and one remote. Each remote can control 4 zones independently. My zones are 1) Left base LEDs, 2) Right base LEDs, 3) Soffit LEDs (not yet installed). Once the color and intensity were set, I control on/off with a regular switch.

The LEDs were bought from SIRS-E. Certainly a bit overpriced, but I was wary of negative comments I read about several low cost LED kits and I did not want to have to change out LEDs in 6 or 12 months.

I bought This WiFi enabled LED controllers and remote

I still owe you an answer on the OC703/OC704. I packed both away in an ATS Acoustics box which is in my garage behind some other boxes. I have yet to pull it out and inventory how much of each I'll have left after doing the panel on the door. Let me know if you're about to pull the trigger on your order and I'll try to inventory before the weekend.

post #204 of 341 Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The LED's low in the wall are a great idea. Excellent that they wash the floor without shining on the screen.
The entire room turned out very well. Looking forward to completion photos with the ceiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Absolutely perfect! I love the led's.
Thanks guys. The base LEDs turned out better than I thought. They are mostly for aesthetics, but the kids like to leave them on during moves like one would do with pathway lights or step lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Just an fyi I plan on building an exact clone of this room hahah. Just showed my wife and she loves it. Your room is exactly the size of ours and I love the color scheme
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" so borrow as much as you would like. I've borrowed quite a bit myself.

Glad to hear that your wife likes it. Big deal to get the wives on board. My wife is pretty pleased with ours. And that's saying a lot because she had to deal with me being lost in the "salt mine" for too many weekends and evenings over the past few months.

post #205 of 341 Old 01-06-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
This picture may help:

I don't recall the exact angles I used for the bottom rail and the plywood backer for the bottom rail. If I were to guess, I'd say the angle on the plywood backer was 20-30 degrees and the angle on the bottom rail was 40-45 degrees.

The foil HVAC tape was placed between the two plywood backers in the picture above.

The LED strips came with 3M 2-sided tape. That was used to stick the LEDs to the bottom of the plywood backer.

Hope that makes sense.
Awesome illustration, thanks!
post #206 of 341 Old 01-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Let me know if you're about to pull the trigger on your order and I'll try to inventory before the weekend.
Locked and loaded! I need a full 6pak of each though. Do you think you will have 4-6 sheets of the 703 or 4-6 of the 705? If not, it may be more economical to just order the full paks.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #207 of 341 Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 PM

Out of curiosity, why did you go with: Denon AVR-4520CI
post #208 of 341 Old 01-14-2015, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejs15 View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you go with: Denon AVR-4520CI
First, I got an incredible price on it when Best Buy was closing out - $1000. Given the features, that price was tough to pass on. And I would not feel guilty moving the Denon to my family room in a year or so if I want to upgrade to another AV receiver or pre-amp/amp.

Second, since I was not doing Atmos, it fit the bill for my build.

I have space allocated in my rack for an external amp, but so far I don't think I need it.

Are you considering the Denon? What are your reservations?

post #209 of 341 Old 01-14-2015, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
Locked and loaded! I need a full 6pak of each though. Do you think you will have 4-6 sheets of the 703 or 4-6 of the 705? If not, it may be more economical to just order the full paks.
PM sent

post #210 of 341 Old 01-14-2015, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 342
WOW! What a great job, it looks fantastic!!! You should be extremely proud of what you have done. I cant wait to see it 100%, though I cant see it getting any better

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page