Theater Design/Build Under Suspended Slab Garage - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #271 of 283 Old 04-27-2018, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
UPDATE!

I ordered another pair of 12" subwoofers for the back corners of the theater room. I found that the the two 12s in the front corners were providing good bas but as expected with two front corners, there were dead zones especially in the front row. I'm so grateful that I wired all 4 corners for subs so all I needed to do was to get two y-splitters for $10!.... and drop another million dollars for subs

WOW

What an improvement! Since I have 4 subs instead of 2 now, I was able to turn down the subs from 50% to 40% power each and the bass in my room is tighter, louder, and NO DEAD ZONES! It seems infinitely more immersive since I can't pinpoint where the bass is coming from. The tactical response is also phenomenal. It feels like I have butt kickers on both rows of seating. The Atmos demos are really incredible with the 9.4.4 setup.

I'm a happy camper!!!

Still left to do:
Paint light trim black
Paint speaker grilles black
LED lighting in crown molding.

Does anyone have a good idea for the LED? I will have 110' of continuous lighting and only have one power source from the back. I also have my Harmony Elite and want to control it from that. I have a 3 gang light switch in the back. The back two switches are back and front lights repsectively. The front switch will be for the LED crown lighting. The wiring is already done to the crown recess. My thought is to have a wifi switch to turn the LED on and off but I'm not sure what product would go from an on to off state just from receiving power. I would like to control RGB as well from my elite if possible. I'm talking to some guys at HIT lights but wanted to see if anyone here has some thoughts. Thanks!
DougUSMC likes this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 283 Old 04-27-2018, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
UPDATE!

I ordered another pair of 12" subwoofers for the back corners of the theater room. I found that the the two 12s in the front corners were providing good bas but as expected with two front corners, there were dead zones especially in the front row. I'm so grateful that I wired all 4 corners for subs so all I needed to do was to get two y-splitters for $10!.... and drop another million dollars for subs

WOW

What an improvement! Since I have 4 subs instead of 2 now, I was able to turn down the subs from 50% to 40% power each and the bass in my room is tighter, louder, and NO DEAD ZONES! It seems infinitely more immersive since I can't pinpoint where the bass is coming from. The tactical response is also phenomenal. It feels like I have butt kickers on both rows of seating. The Atmos demos are really incredible with the 9.4.4 setup.

I'm a happy camper!!!

Still left to do:
Paint light trim black
Paint speaker grilles black
LED lighting in crown molding.

Does anyone have a good idea for the LED? I will have 110' of continuous lighting and only have one power source from the back. I also have my Harmony Elite and want to control it from that. I have a 3 gang light switch in the back. The back two switches are back and front lights repsectively. The front switch will be for the LED crown lighting. The wiring is already done to the crown recess. My thought is to have a wifi switch to turn the LED on and off but I'm not sure what product would go from an on to off state just from receiving power. I would like to control RGB as well from my elite if possible. I'm talking to some guys at HIT lights but wanted to see if anyone here has some thoughts. Thanks!
I know they aren't cheap, but I am looking at using Philip's Hue products. They work through a hug which puts less strain on your internet. I also found this. You should be able to control them with your phone, Alexa, Google assistant or your Harmony Elite.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZigB...e+switch&psc=1

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #273 of 283 Old 05-04-2018, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I know they aren't cheap, but I am looking at using Philip's Hue products. They work through a hug which puts less strain on your internet. I also found this. You should be able to control them with your phone, Alexa, Google assistant or your Harmony Elite.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZigB...e+switch&psc=1
Hey thanks! @Ladeback !

My thought process has slowed down on the LED lights for a bit. I've been busy with work and reviewing BenQ's new TK800 4K projector (sweet, by the way)

My biggest constraint with LED molding lighting isn't so much the Smart platform but the power draw and install logistics of it... My wish list is a system that connects with my Harmony Elite (via IR or smart thru Wifi), can change colors via harmony, and can do a 110 foot run.

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 283 Old 05-29-2018, 09:12 PM
sor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I’ve recently been planning theater lighting and ran into some similar issues. I have 12 coffers that will be maybe 20ft (generously) in perimeter, 240 feet. Budgeting 1.5W/foot makes for a lot of current on 12v lighting.

I haven’t really thought so much about RGB control, but I ran two 14 gauge, four conductor cables. I can run six coffers on each in RGB or split them and do four monochrome circuits. 7.5 amps each. I just roughed in the wires to soffits and back to where I’d install drivers.

It looks like I could control DMX units here if I wanted to do RGB, it would just be a matter of choosing drivers with the right features. I was planning on just installing magnetic LED dimmer drivers and controlling them with my overall zone control system.
post #275 of 283 Old 03-20-2019, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Ah, here's the thread. I've been meaning to ask since seeing your theater build in the HT3550 video review, why did you use the beige carpet on the top step right below the screen? I would think that would somewhat kill off all the light control advantage from the other surrounding areas you took the time to make black.

Other than that very nice theater.
post #276 of 283 Old 03-21-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnification View Post
Ah, here's the thread. I've been meaning to ask since seeing your theater build in the HT3550 video review, why did you use the beige carpet on the top step right below the screen? I would think that would somewhat kill off all the light control advantage from the other surrounding areas you took the time to make black.

where is the video?
post #277 of 283 Old 03-21-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkrypt3d View Post
where is the video?
post #278 of 283 Old 03-21-2019, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnification View Post

I’ll be vulnerable here and just admit I didn’t think about it. Haha!

That is a good idea though. I’ve also been entertaining the idea of repainting ceiling with flat black paint instead of eggshell sheen. I’ve got the itch to make some upgrades so good timing.

Thanks for the recommendation!

post #279 of 283 Old 03-22-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
I’ll be vulnerable here and just admit I didn’t think about it. Haha!

That is a good idea though. I’ve also been entertaining the idea of repainting ceiling with flat black paint instead of eggshell sheen. I’ve got the itch to make some upgrades so good timing.

Thanks for the recommendation!
I wouldn't worry about it I've got worse light control than you do. Not from the windows. That was the first thing I took of care of. Just haven't gotten around (in other words lazy) to doing the rest of the light control aspects at the screen area itself.

You'll probably end up with a few percent better contrast control I would gather. But yeah, since I first saw the room for some reason it was just nagging at me that beige carpet right under the screen reflecting all sorts of lights back on to it

And you're welcome.
scottyroo likes this.
post #280 of 283 Old 03-27-2019, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Starting to hit on more light control items. Last nights project was FINALLY painting the flush mount LED trims black. I could have done a cleaner job but I’m happy with the end result. Next up; ceiling and stage.

HopefulFred likes this.

post #281 of 283 Old 03-28-2019, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Dope theater room!

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #282 of 283 Old 03-28-2019, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
Dope theater room!
Muchas gracias

post #283 of 283 Old 08-06-2019, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Very nice room! amazing job.

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page