Leisure Rules Theater Construction - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 71 Old 10-30-2015, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
love me some fabric walls!!

looks great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 10-30-2015, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
love me some fabric walls!!

looks great!
Thanks Brian. The fabric walls definitely give some great satisfaction after the long months of construction...
Brian Fineberg likes this.

Last edited by empirebuilder; 10-30-2015 at 06:24 AM.
post #63 of 71 Old 10-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 692
This theater is truly going to be so choice.

My question stems from my newbness in regard to your sound absorption wall. Are you at all worried about overkill? I understand treating the reflection points for both the front and rear row, but you are basically treating the entire length run of the wall with OC703, yes? I've seen several other builds on this forum doing the same thing, so I am genuinely curious.

This question stems from my apparent realization that I hopefully won't need nearly the amount of absorption in my room, being that it will only be one row. What worries me is my initial design does not have nearly the percentage of wall coverage that you have with yours.

Would you care to expand on your absorption methodology for this build? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 71 Old 11-03-2015, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hi JC, thanks for you interest, and the choice Ferris quote

In my case, I consulted with an acoustics expert early on and determined the coverage of the walls. Each acoustic expert has their own "special sauce", as its been said, to achieve the best results. Having nearly completed all my OC703 install, I think the room is good but probably not optimum.

The best case scenario is to take the time to use REW software to actually measure your room and then adjust your treatments accordingly. You can also consult with several different firms that offer acoustics assistance. The two I've seen on the forum are GIK Acoustics and Erskine design. Both offer levels of consulting to help optimize the acoustics treatments of your room.

I'd say due to time constraints that I am dropping out at the 90% good level and getting fabric installed so I can complete this and the family can start using the theater after a long several year construction.

In general, my treatments follow a couple standard rules. The front wall is the "RC" sandwich often used which uses a membrane trap to catch some stray lower frequencies. The side walls provide an anechoic path (no reflection) from the front speakers to the front row seats. The top of the walls at the surrounds are not treated (above 5 feet and 7 feet back) to allow a more lively surround. Speakers are mounted 2 feet above ear level from the first row, which follows THX. It might have been better to put these right above ear level though.

Back wall is primarily for bass so it is 4" thick and covered in poly as the poly will reflect higher frequencies.

So is it overkill and do I have too much absorption - I'd say possibly on the side walls. Is it better than watching TV in the living room? Heck yeah.
JCJetta likes this.
post #65 of 71 Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirebuilder View Post
Thanks MTMD. This is GOM red delicious. I debated darker colors at length but this color is great with lights on and fades away with lights off. It really gives the theater look to the room.

I'd say now that the GOM paneled walls look even better in person than seeing photos. The room also has a really noticeable "quiet" sound when we enter.
Looks great. I really like the look of the fabric on the upper wall, and the handful of people that have seen my HT so far all comment along the lines of, "It's just like a movie theater."

Between the colors and the sound proofing aspect, it is a nice 'hushed' feel to it..... till the subs kick in!
post #66 of 71 Old 11-03-2015, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mtmd11, My kids were surprised when you walk inside how it suddenly gets very "quiet", just like you've experienced.
While I am working on the fabric panels I've been playing lots of movies with helicopters which seems to fill the room with sound.
post #67 of 71 Old 12-18-2015, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Since the speakers with wall mount were sticking out too far and becoming a hazard for anyone over 5' tall, I redesigned to build "pedestals" for the speakers. This follows the standard AVS construction for speaker columns but I did not cover the speakers or run the column up to the ceiling. Partially to save the extra work and partially because I had planned to have the speakers showing anyway on the mounts.

This new design is much cleaner than wall mount and turned out better overall. Basically an MDF box filled with pink fluffy and wrapped with black GOM to match the front bass trap columns.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 009.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	1127514   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 012.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1127522  
post #68 of 71 Old 12-18-2015, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirebuilder View Post
Since the speakers with wall mount were sticking out too far and becoming a hazard for anyone over 5' tall, I redesigned to build "pedestals" for the speakers. This follows the standard AVS construction for speaker columns but I did not cover the speakers or run the column up to the ceiling. Partially to save the extra work and partially because I had planned to have the speakers showing anyway on the mounts.

This new design is much cleaner than wall mount and turned out better overall. Basically an MDF box filled with pink fluffy and wrapped with black GOM to match the front bass trap columns.

Nice job. The fabric wall panels are a great idea. Might have to adopt that for my room.
post #69 of 71 Old 12-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Amateur Audiophile

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Nice Build! I've subscribed and look forward to seeing the rest. You're getting pretty close!
post #70 of 71 Old 01-25-2016, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks banzaiibc and Pacific Breeze,
I have finally seen how these threads tend to fall off, as once I (*almost*) finished my theater I forgot to keep taking photos and updating the thread. I'll post what pics I have on the theater. I still have some small items to do but the theater is operational at this point and the family has been loving it!
post #71 of 71 Old 01-25-2016, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Final items were to finish up the soffit after stuffing it with pink fluffy insulation to the max...

After I have attached all the fabric panels the room looks great except for the ugly unfinished soffit.

Following an older style from the AVS forum, I created panels with plywood and 1" linacoustic I had left over, wrapped with GOM. I used black for the front and red for sides and back.

The result looks like a small pillow on the soffit and should (though debatable by acoustic experts) help with reflections and echos. If nothing else, it looks cool to me.

Black front panel nailed up:

and now complete with all the black and red panels:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 023.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1209154   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 023a.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1209162   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 024.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1209170   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 025.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1209178   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 030.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	1209186  

Name:	photo 037.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	1209194   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 038.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1209202  

Last edited by empirebuilder; 01-25-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page