Doug's Basement Theater - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 429Likes

post #451 of 523 Old 03-14-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2036 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I have a makeshift theater for now that works for me and not finished and it has been fine for me. My wife will watch a movie with me from time to time, but my 9 year old son has no interest in it at all, not even to play video games on it unless his friends do. I keep wanting to plan for being able to have 8 to 10 people in the room to watch a movie or sporting event, but maybe I should rethink it and just build for me and maybe 5 others. A bigger room just looks so cool, but is it really necessary.
If you don't have those five others already watching with you, I doubt you will, at a later date.

The extra volume and size does have some advantages though. There's no reason you can't have the bigger space, do less seats, and have more budget for better gear.
Personally, I'd take a bigger screen over a bunch of seats that don't see much use.
d_c and DavidK442 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 523 Old 03-14-2018, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Do you use a mic and REW for tuning the subs?
Yessir I do. I let Dirac optimize my front subs since it's better at making filters than me (also impulse and delay corrects) and sees them as a single sub. I have a calibrated UMIK and REW for the nearfield subs that I set my own delay for. I calculate delay by distance and then tweak by multiple measurements as I adjust delay settings in the Balanced MiniDSP 2x4. The miniDSP also is the XO between the front and rear subs, yet only EQing the rear subs. I like messing with this part and will probably change it around over the next year for sure. It was at least a year before I finally found a calibration I was happy with in my media room.

I don't usually listen so loud that it gives me a headache, but when I'm calibrating my system, I push it to the near-breaking point so that I don't break things later when I'm being an idiot. Usually I'm an idiot.
biga6761 likes this.
post #453 of 523 Old 03-29-2018, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Since the screen is 11 feet wide, I used two of these to hold the screen. It's screwed in to a stud in the ceiling and gets covered up by my black panels. It's also painted black now. I originally had it 4" lower but after spending some time with the screen, we all agreed that it needed to go up. My feet were in the way if I completely reclined on the couch or had my knees up.

This is one of my two "goalposts." There is one behind each side of the screen and they give the black panels something to attach to. All of the panels are press-fit floor to ceiling, they keep the screen flat, and the screen holds them in to place. The carpet piece on top is so they don't rattle against the ceiling. I also used two screws to keep it in place at the top, and 3 in the bottom, through the carpet and pad. When driven through the bottom of the post, the screws pushed the post up tight to the ceiling

You can see a little bit of the goalpost here and the side panel

carp, JDontee, Ladeback and 1 others like this.

Last edited by d_c; 03-29-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 523 Old 03-29-2018, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

This is the frame for one of the screen wall panels. Lowes was out of 1x2 FJ primed pine, so I bought 1x4 and ripped it down on the table saw. Cheaper in the end, but more time consuming. I needed 134" wide panels, so I had to butt-joint the long pieces since my truck only has a 5' bed

I use the Kreg pocket jig and screws for fasteners. I love that thing

I started on the panel to cover my gear rack. 1" 703 went in after I stapled on the gray fabric.

Knocked out the grill covers for the surrounds. They are press fit, but might get a brad nail or 2 eventually. Dang, kinda blurry

carp, sigma722, TMcG and 2 others like this.

Last edited by d_c; 03-29-2018 at 01:15 PM.
post #455 of 523 Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
This is the frame for one of the screen wall panels. Lowes was out of 1x2 FJ primed pine, so I bought 1x4 and ripped it down on the table saw. Cheaper in the end, but more time consuming. I needed 134" wide panels, so I had to butt-joint the long pieces since my truck only has a 5' bed

I use the Kreg pocket jig and screws for fasteners. I love that thing

I started on the panel to cover my gear rack. 1" 703 went in after I stapled on the gray fabric.

Knocked out the grill covers for the surrounds. They are press fit, but might get a brad nail or 2 eventually. Dang, kinda blurry

Looking great Doug!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
chirpie and d_c like this.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Velodyne SMS-1 |(3)Emotiva XPA-100 |(2) Emotiva XPA-5 |Emotiva UPA-7 |(3) Crown XLS1002 | (3) JTR Triple 8’s | (6) Triad InWall Silver/4’s | (4) Triad InCeiling Gold/6 Omni’s | (3) Danley DTS-10’s | JVC DLA-RS500U | Seymour F130XB140.8” 2.40 | Samsung UBD-K8500 | Oppo BDP-95 | 4K Direct TV | Dennis Erskine Design (excluding ATMOS) | High Impact AV Calibration
post #456 of 523 Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
More pics of the whole room!!
post #457 of 523 Old 03-29-2018, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
WOW, you have been busy. Looking good Doug.
d_c likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #458 of 523 Old 03-30-2018, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1808
Looking great, Doug! Love the scribe work you did with that cultured stone around the column and moldings. Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
+1
d_c and Ladeback like this.
post #459 of 523 Old 03-30-2018, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 583
It's been a while since I checked out your thread (or inadvertently posted an update to it) Huge progress and looking awesome, congratulations on closing in on the finish line!
d_c likes this.
post #460 of 523 Old 03-30-2018, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys! I never take pics of the back because it’s not finished. I still need to make shelving over the bar, but the double beer tap is in. I need to build the rear surrounds since the temp boxes are sitting on random stuff to get to the right height. Still need to install shoe moulding where the til is. Need to install LEDs in the ceiling and build the sound panels in the coffered sections. I need to figure out what I’m doing with the amp rack. But dang I’m close in the grand scheme. Did I mention how much I love the Radians and NAD 758 and Dirac?

carp, Archaea, Waterboy77 and 6 others like this.
post #461 of 523 Old 03-30-2018, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Quote:
Thanks guys! I never take pics of the back because it’s not finished. I still need to make shelving over the bar, but the double beer tap is in. I need to build the rear surrounds since the temp boxes are sitting on random stuff to get to the right height. Still need to install shoe moulding where the til is. Need to install LEDs in the ceiling and build the sound panels in the coffered sections. I need to figure out what I’m doing with the amp rack. But dang I’m close in the grand scheme. Did I mention how much I love the Radians and NAD 758 and Dirac?

The room looks awesome!

That open space looks perfect for something like this:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.PNG
Views:	574
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	2383052  
post #462 of 523 Old 03-31-2018, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Doug's Basement Theater

Quote:
The room looks awesome!

That open space looks perfect for something like this:

We have one, but it didn’t do that comfy looking deal where you just sink in to it and just want to fall asleep. Ours is too firm and you roll off if you try to sit on it. Nobody uses it. I should see about ripping out some of the filler. We have another big chair coming that we ordered from NFM that goes in that space, but the bean bag will be there for some extra seating.

I wanted one of these in the photo below, but was vetoed in the end. I got my power reclining couch, she got her squishy square snuggle chair with ottoman.
carp likes this.

Last edited by d_c; 03-31-2018 at 06:57 AM.
post #463 of 523 Old 04-01-2018, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Do those hinges on your AV fabric door have tension so they close nicely without a magnet?

The grill covers for your surrounds are slick. Really seamless. Rattles from panels that do not have brad nails were a big problem for me and I eventually had to brad nail most of the room down over the years! But, for those speaker covers you have to have something that is easily removable. You will have to get in there more than you think. And removing the brad nails has ruined the my fabric panels in the past. Wrapping them again in fabric is such a pain.

Double tap keg!!!!!!

Oh......and you have excellent taste in UHD's!!!!!! Ha!
post #464 of 523 Old 04-01-2018, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

The have just a little tension and stay closed. I was going to use one of those push in magnet clasps to keep it shut but I don’t think I need it. I like to leave it open about an inch for air flow when all the amps are running and the jet engine sound of the amps isn’t that much worse. If the door behind the av gear is cracked, everything stays nice and cool. My wife is already shopping for a bright geometric pattern to print on some fabric for that av door. It took like 10 minutes to staple it on and the gray was only $5 per yard at PE, so no big deal switching it and it won’t mess with Pq at all.

Those are all Grant’s movies if you didn’t pick up on that. Fury road in uhd Atmos was so great. I’m going to have to buy this since it has vivid color, really shows off the immersive sound in my room - and the baaaasssssssss!!!
post #465 of 523 Old 04-06-2018, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Doug,

you do amazing work!

and fast...

congrats!

I look forward to checking it out!
d_c likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #466 of 523 Old 04-06-2018, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Amazing transformation! Doesn’t look like the same space.
d_c likes this.
post #467 of 523 Old 04-08-2018, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Fireplace, fish tank, bar, theater...babe on a bun; nice job integrating everything into this space.
Looks like a great place to hang out.
d_c likes this.
post #468 of 523 Old 04-08-2018, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Installed the amp rack. I decided that the sliding rack isn’t necessary. There’s plenty of room back there to get to wires and things, as well as room for my htpc and a printer. I’ll finish out the bottom portion of the front with some shelves on one side for some discs, and the other side for. The htpc.

bubbrik likes this.
post #469 of 523 Old 04-08-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2036 Post(s)
Liked: 825
That is a lot of work accomplished in one year.

My wife thinks Doug is either a machine, or has clones.
Archaea and d_c like this.
post #470 of 523 Old 04-12-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
That is a lot of work accomplished in one year.

My wife thinks Doug is either a machine, or has clones.
Man I agree. Doug eclipses most threads on this board with a top to bottom build in the time many people are still exhausting their planning stage! And the result is fantastic.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #471 of 523 Old 04-12-2018, 09:30 AM

@d_c @jedimastergrant @JDontee @sigma722

d_c hosted an informal movie night last night in his new home theater, it is a fantastic space indeed! I loved the look he achieved and I guess it shouldn't surprise me how well it turned out, having seen what Doug did in his living room theater upstairs. Everything came together very nicely, the bar, the fireplace, the ceiling, the screen, the integration of the giant salt water aquarium. The kids room and bathroom that Doug installed in the same sweep turned out great as well. The new stone landscaping outside is a brilliant property upgrade as well! How you get so much done in so little time puts the rest of us to shame!

While we encountered a "few first go round gremlins" with the A/V equipment, the system sounded great, and the bass was hotter than a firecracker. The hair on my head was vibrating, and at one particular moment my face felt squeezed like my eyes were crushing together. “2dB hot bass” my rear.....

Those two 24"ers firing directly into your back from the bar table/subwooferbox combo is clearly something to behold only in person —and the most fun you can have this side of a suspended wooden floor.

I had a very enjoyable time, and really enjoyed the Martin City Stout you shared from your Keg. That's my first taste of that, it won't be my last.
It was fun to visit and catch up. Thanks for the evening!
jedimastergrant and d_c like this.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-12-2018 at 09:44 AM.
post #472 of 523 Old 04-12-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
Jeepers...your HT room builds are so good it's almost painful to look at (because my room is so lame in comparison)
post #473 of 523 Old 04-12-2018, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Jeepers...your HT room builds are so good it's almost painful to look at (because my room is so lame in comparison)

Yeah right. We were talking about how your room sound will be when we finally get to behold that beast next week. We were thinking it will be smart to bring ear plugs and muffs for over the top so our heads won’t explode. I’ll probably bring an extra change of underwear just in case. I’m looking forward to the assault.
lukeamdman likes this.
post #474 of 523 Old 04-12-2018, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@d_c @jedimastergrant @JDontee @sigma722

d_c hosted an informal movie night last night in his new home theater, it is a fantastic space indeed! I loved the look he achieved and I guess it shouldn't surprise me how well it turned out, having seen what Doug did in his living room theater upstairs. Everything came together very nicely, the bar, the fireplace, the ceiling, the screen, the integration of the giant salt water aquarium. The kids room and bathroom that Doug installed in the same sweep turned out great as well. The new stone landscaping outside is a brilliant property upgrade as well! How you get so much done in so little time puts the rest of us to shame!

While we encountered a "few first go round gremlins" with the A/V equipment, the system sounded great, and the bass was hotter than a firecracker. The hair on my head was vibrating, and at one particular moment my face felt squeezed like my eyes were crushing together. “2dB hot bass” my rear.....

Those two 24"ers firing directly into your back from the bar table/subwooferbox combo is clearly something to behold only in person —and the most fun you can have this side of a suspended wooden floor.

I had a very enjoyable time, and really enjoyed the Martin City Stout you shared from your Keg. That's my first taste of that, it won't be my last.

It was fun to visit and catch up. Thanks for the evening!

My ideas are all from my favorite parts of your rooms to build mine.

Hope the avr cutout is just a circulation issue. I’m going to wire up a couple of those fans you gave me and set them flag on top of the avr to push more air in.

We will have an Official Opening once I get the room treatments in, PJ UHD issue improved, led lights in the ceiling, bar cabinets built, and the other couch. End of summer is a realistic time for that list to be complete. I don’t do that work stuff much on the summer.
post #475 of 523 Old 04-13-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
Quote:
Yeah right. We were talking about how your room sound will be when we finally get to behold that beast next week. We were thinking it will be smart to bring ear plugs and muffs for over the top so our heads won’t explode. I’ll probably bring an extra change of underwear just in case. I’m looking forward to the assault.
ha! I was talking about the space/room. The remodel you did to your room upstairs was insane, and your craftsmanship with that new basement HT is incredible! You should be building HTs for a living and making a killing.

What's crazy to me is the quality of your work AND how fast you work. When I build speakers/subs they're simple square boxes and I slap duratex on them. On top of that, it takes me forever

I'm really looking forward to next week. I hope my setup lives up to the hype but don't expect much in terms of video (65" LED), surround (7.1 very non-optimally placed) and atmos (none). No near field either.

Other than the near field 24s what other subs you have in your new HT? Othorns up front?
post #476 of 523 Old 04-13-2018, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

You are too kind Luke. Once all of the concrete work was done, it did go by pretty fast. It helps being a fireman and working 24 hours then having 2 days off. I can get a lot done during the day when there are no soccer practices, games, groups, “insert event here” to chauffeur kids to. I turn off build mode when school is out for daddy time. Doing this for money would be cool, but I wouldn’t have a very good business model shutting down at 3 and only showing up 3 or 4 days a week!

I only have the two Othorns up front against the wall and 30” away from the side corners. They measure and sound great so I haven’t bothered to moved them. The 24s are pretty nice, but they were so much better upstairs on the suspended floor. If I ever come across another set of Ultras and have money to burn, I can see myself adding a pair of Ghorns to the mix for that delicious 14-24hz, but for now, I’m a happy camper.
post #477 of 523 Old 04-13-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would echo everything that Jonathan said. The room and craftsmanship is outstanding. It is a big wide space and great multi purpose room with the bar in the back that has extra seating. Plus it is closer to the double tap kegerator! In my dreams I will have one someday. The Martin City Alchemy Stout was right up my alley. I had it once before in a can and I don't remember it being so tasty.

Of course the bass was thunderous and hot as balls. What were we double digit hot most of the time? The dual 24'' subs within a foot of your ear organs was punishing if your not man enough! I loved the demo of Dirac on and off. It made a huge difference in the bass and I would like to hear what it does in the upper frequencies sometime as well.

Speaking of Dirac I am tempted to try some sort of EQ now that I have heard the Radians. In my opinion they were the stars of the show and come highly recommended. My interest in the EQ (Dirac or otherwise) would be to take just a tiny edge off of my JTR because the Radians were very smooth on the top end. It is possible that in so doing I destroy the "sparkle" and in your face nature of the JTR that I like so much. Therefore some experimentation is necessary. But, Doug you have put me on alert. I like the Radians that much. I may move up the time table on speaker EQ. Thanks for spending more of my money!

The fish tank is Cronk! I did catch on that your Bubble Tip sea anemone was really an alien in disguise. But seriously the light that gently floods the area from the tank is better than the ambience from most bars I have frequented. Well done sir.

We have to figure out what is going on with your HDR. Thankfully the SDR is pretty solid even at your very large screen size. The demo's you chose were most of the ones I raved about when I initially installed the Dolby Access App on my Xbox and I loved all of them. I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the Dolby Atmos from the Xbox as much as I am. I would have felt like a real douche if no one else heard what I have been swearing to!

I could go on. I mean I haven't even gotten to the dogs yet!

While listening I never really thought you were missing treatments. That said I still want to hear it again once everything is in place. And I have still yet to hear the JTR 210's! But, maybe my wallet is safer that way. Still lots I don't know. I mean who knew that a Twinkie and Rice Krispie treat sandwich paired so well with Martin City Alchemy Stout!
carp and CallingMrBenzo like this.
post #478 of 523 Old 04-13-2018, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

While listening I never really thought you were missing treatments. That said I still want to hear it again once everything is in place. And I have still yet to hear the JTR 210's! But, maybe my wallet is safer that way. Still lots I don't know. I mean who knew that a Twinkie and Rice Krispie treat sandwich paired so well with Martin City Alchemy Stout!
You guys were killing the sweets! 30 more days of eating healthy and 10 more pounds and I will be back to destroying chocolates. I am a junk food junkie to say the least. The Alchemy is practically health food, so it's on the diet list because I say so.

I'm not sure the extra brightness of your JTR surrounds is necessarily a bad thing. They really liven up the immersion - you definitely know it's there when the sound is overhead. With mine, it's kind of hard to tell where exactly the sound is, but I guess that's a pretty good thing too. I really like the Radians too. I like that I can crank them for some extended listening sessions and I don't get ear fatigue - unless I'm running the bass hotter than I usually do, which is only by about 3db

I'm going to buy the Oppo 203 from Derek tomorrow. I think the HDR strip is the way to go because of your advise and the reading I have done to learn more about that. Custom curves is on my plate for this weekend too.

I was able to get Zone 2 hooked up to the 210s last night for analog play, so tomorrow will be dedicated to getting the HTPC hooked up and getting some FLAC tracks played through them. I'm going to be juuuuuuuust fine without running a sub with them. They had plenty of bass because of their proximity from the back wall (30") and side walls (24"), so the corner loading is generous to say the least. I thought the Othorns were running when I first ran some sound through them - accidentally really loud after my kid was asleep, so I had to shut it down. It was a mic-drop moment though because I have been having a hard time figuring out how to make Zone 2 work, so it was a good time to stop fiddling and go to bed.

Last edited by d_c; 04-13-2018 at 06:31 PM.
post #479 of 523 Old 04-14-2018, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You guys were killing the sweets! 30 more days of eating healthy and 10 more pounds and I will be back to destroying chocolates. I am a junk food junkie to say the least. The Alchemy is practically health food, so it's on the diet list because I say so.

I'm not sure the extra brightness of your JTR surrounds is necessarily a bad thing. They really liven up the immersion - you definitely know it's there when the sound is overhead. With mine, it's kind of hard to tell where exactly the sound is, but I guess that's a pretty good thing too. I really like the Radians too. I like that I can crank them for some extended listening sessions and I don't get ear fatigue - unless I'm running the bass hotter than I usually do, which is only by about 3db

I'm going to buy the Oppo 203 from Derek tomorrow. I think the HDR strip is the way to go because of your advise and the reading I have done to learn more about that. Custom curves is on my plate for this weekend too.

I was able to get Zone 2 hooked up to the 210s last night for analog play, so tomorrow will be dedicated to getting the HTPC hooked up and getting some FLAC tracks played through them. I'm going to be juuuuuuuust fine without running a sub with them. They had plenty of bass because of their proximity from the back wall (30") and side walls (24"), so the corner loading is generous to say the least. I thought the Othorns were running when I first ran some sound through them - accidentally really loud after my kid was asleep, so I had to shut it down. It was a mic-drop moment though because I have been having a hard time figuring out how to make Zone 2 work, so it was a good time to stop fiddling and go to bed.
Good point on the surrounds. I don't really ever feel the surrounds are too bright. I am more concerned with the LCR 212's. And that is only with a few movies. The last one was The Dark Knight which is recorded hot. I'm not sure how hot it is but it was noticeable from the very first scene where Bruce falls in the well and the bats fly out. I had the mv at my normal -8 and I turned it down to -10 to take the edge off but also just because it was louder than I was used to......and even with my sound isolation efforts there are bass tracks that will wake the kids up at -8 (Interstellar). So anyway I would like to experiment with EQ for the mains and if it works without neutering the sound that I like I could match the surrounds that curve.

Just to be clear about the Oppo and how it handles HDR.

-The strip metadata function on the Oppo is there to strip the HDR metadata and leaves you with HDR. However, they never got this function to work properly and it is not recommended. If you want to strip HDR metadata completely then the best bet right now is the Panny 900 with an HDfury device. You lose HDR even though some folks that use this method have a hard time admitting to it. You keep WCG and the additional resolution. More importantly you keep the immersive audio track that is sometimes only present on the UHD disc. The almost released Panny players might have a way to do strip metadata without the HDfury but I don't know. More importantly they might have a better method for dynamic tone mapping done in the player but no one knows yet. I have my eye on the Vertex so I can use my DI with HDR and get my black floor lower in some scenes.

-The newly added function that Oppo just added with a firmware update is called B.T. 2020 Off. It is kind of mis labeled. What it really does is tone mapping for HDR in the player. You are just using the player instead of the display. You can set your nits with a luminance slider in the Oppo to match your projector capability and adjust to taste on a title by title basis. Then the player strips the metadata HDR flag so that the projector sees SDR. The HDR is still there but you will then set your projector in an SDR mode but with B.T. 2020 colors. So you still get WCG as well. It is working well for people with low nit set ups like yours. It is not perfect compared to a good custom curve by a professional calibrator who really knows what he is doing. But, it still beats the crap out of the broken gamma D that comes out of the box. This tone mapping is dynamic and it done on a frame by frame basis which is awesome.

Then like you said you should look into loading generic custom curves made by Manni01 and Javs for low nit set ups. It is complicated so I never learned how since I didn't need to.

The other option is to use MadVR with your HTPC but at the moment this does not function for discs. It is a way to do dynamic tone mapping on a frame by frame basis and is said to be very good but is a work in progress. So anything you have ripped could work for that but I don't know the details. And I am not sure if this will eventually work for PC UHD disc players or what.
post #480 of 523 Old 04-14-2018, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank goodness I have you around Grant. You fill in that empty portion of my brain with a smart part. I bookmarked the tutorial those guys made to get custom curves to the rs400. Kind of reminds me of the science experiment of getting the pile of hardware and software to build a working iRule, but hopefully less frustrating.
jedimastergrant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page