1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 28
12x16 Shed

With no space in my house to build a dedicated home theater, I'm looking at building out in the backyard. After continually downsizing my building ideas because I'm pretty cheap, and don't want to have to take out a 2nd mortgage for a real building construction on slab, which would cost $50k minimum for a 20x28 room for a contractor to build, I'm considering just trying to DIY it myself.

The county office told me today that buildings under 200 square feet, and 10ft high do not require permits. I'm toying with the idea of build out a "shed" on concrete piers almost exactly like this one:

https://www.icreatables.com/sheds/12...hed-plans.html

and then fully insulating it, double or triple drywall and greenglue. Adding a Mitsubishi ductless heatpump unit. Putting in a 10ft screen along the 12" long wall. Just fitting one row of 3 wide seating and a thin bar table and stools directly behind to fit 6 people, and then fleshing it out with a Atmos style 7.2.2 system. Envisioning DIY soundgroups Fusion Tempest 12's for LRC, four Fusion Alchemy 8s for rear and side surrounds, two Marty's or two 6ft tall, 24" diameter sonotubes using Stereo Integrity 18" drivers and iNuke 3000 dsps, along with 2 unknown ceiling mounted Atmos speakers.

I'll flesh it out in Sketchup this weekend to see if it is workable. Just spitballing out loud here so any thoughts are welcome. Before HVAC and electrical, I'm estimating under $5k in materials, depending on if I go with Green Glue or not.

Last edited by Oregon Chris; 11-15-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 07:33 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5969 Post(s)
Liked: 5544
It has been done, just don't remember the threads.

I documented my shed building exercise in my personal theater thread and there have been others documented here. mine is floated on concrete piers as you are contemplating.

One thing to consider is a typical shed has a single layer 3/4 inch thick floor. If you are building on piers the sound will flow out the bottom so factor that into your soundproofing plans.

I think my shed all in with vinyl siding, double steel door ($500) and a small window was $2800. No insulation or inside walls.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I put on a 12x16 four season addition a couple years back. It's a decent space and would make a fine small theater. I think at best you'll comfortably get two good size chairs in there with a counter behind that. You could maybe to three if they are small or if one is pushed up against a wall.

I spray-foamed the bottom of the structure as we were building it. It was definitely worth the money. The floor stays comfortably warm in the winters and also helps to keep the pests out. I'm sub'd. Should be a good build.

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
I put on a 12x16 four season addition a couple years back. It's a decent space and would make a fine small theater. I think at best you'll comfortably get two good size chairs in there with a counter behind that. You could maybe to three if they are small or if one is pushed up against a wall.
I went home and measured what a good sized couch would look like in an 11ft wide (finished) space. Your right. Not much room on the sides.
I was thinking of 3 chairs like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Modern Recliner.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	367705

that could easily be moved around depending on how many people were viewing. Its selfish, but I really prefer to sit in the middle when alone. I would hate to be locked into a 2 wide set of chairs that would admittedly fit this space better. I'd always be off-center. I also need seats that would allow me to bolt my existing Buttkicker amp to so something in the style of that picture might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
I spray-foamed the bottom of the structure as we were building it. It was definitely worth the money. The floor stays comfortably warm in the winters and also helps to keep the pests out. I'm sub'd. Should be a good build.
I was wondering what the best practice is for that. I've had critters get into my home crawlspace before, and pull down a bunch of insulation, so was planning on reading up on how to deal with the underside of a decking on piers.

Last edited by Oregon Chris; 11-14-2014 at 10:39 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

One thing to consider is a typical shed has a single layer 3/4 inch thick floor. If you are building on piers the sound will flow out the bottom so factor that into your soundproofing plans.
I was thinking of 2 layers of 3/4" OSB and heavy pad and carpet, along with some insulation under it, but not sure what type. I was also looking at the Serenity Mat underlay from SoundProofingCompany, but am not sure the added cost of it would be justified.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Hi Chris... I built an office in my backyard that is basically the same size. Mine is 11 x 16. Same reason for the size, no building permit required. BigMouthinDC and others were very helpful with their suggestions and I couldn't be happier with the end result.

Good luck.

I'm not sure if this will give you any ideas, but here is a little build thread that I put together... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...ds-thanks.html

Jeff
post #7 of 12 Old 11-15-2014, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. Some great ideas in your build re:Soundproofing.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-15-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

After stewing on it and getting the wife's input, we've decided 12x16 is just too small. I was planning on doing double wall 2'x4' construction with a 2" air gap, and 3 layers of OSB/Drywall for max soundproofing. That would make the finished interior closer to 10' x 14'.

I've tried my best to make it work and I know people can make a system work in that space. I've read many of those "small theater" build threads. But acoustically, only about 2 seats would be any good. Everyone else would be too close to a wall, too close to a speaker, without going to just a 5.1 system.

Even on a budget, I don't want to just make it work. I want to make it awesome. I think the minimum depth for 2 rows of seating is probably 20', if the 1st row is 10' or less away from the screen.

I think what I'm going to actually do, is go through the permit/inspection process to build out this 16'x24':

https://www.icreatables.com/sheds/16...hed-plans.html

exactly as planned, except a single instead of double door.

After that is all approved and constructed, and inspected I will come back and build the double stud wall and and floating ceiling joist room within a room as described here:

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...within-a-room/

That will give me interior dimensions close to 14'x22' which I can fit 6 people and a 7.2.2 system into without compromising most of the listening positions.

One reason I wanted to avoid the permit process was I thought I would have to go through a contractor/architect to get plans to submit to the county. Question for you people who have experience in this sort of thing: Do you think the plans linked to above "good enough" for submitting to the county for permitting? I was really expecting that to be a $1,000 expense, and didn't know it could only be $35 from this or competing websites.

Thanks,
-Chris

Last edited by Oregon Chris; 11-15-2014 at 11:38 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-15-2014, 11:16 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5969 Post(s)
Liked: 5544
before you spend a lot of time guessing just check with your county office and see what is required in the way of plans for a 16x24 shed with electrical service. You might be surprised, Probably not too much if you have a set of purchased plans that you are following. They will be interested in proper sizing of floor joists, roof trusses, roofing and floor material etc. If they ask about the electrical service say it is for your power tools.
NightSkyMurals likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I agree with "Big" that you might want to consider a permit. I had some neighbors turn me in... and the building inspector showed up at my door one day (the day that I covered the trench with the electrical wire). He wanted to take a look at the "shed" and when I told him that I needed to put the dog away first, he said that he'd just take a peek at it through the window. When he saw it, he about fell over at how overbuilt it was, and he told me that he had no problem with it. As he was waling out the door, he asked if there was electricity in it... I told him, "No" because it wasn't hooked up yet.

Then, when I was away painting in another state, he showed back up and wanted to look at it. I was on the phone with a friend who was redoing a bathroom for me... and I told him to have him look threw the window. He did, and then left.

If I had it to do over again, I would get the permit. The contractor told me I didn't need one, so I went with it. The money would have been well spent to not have to look over my shoulders... plus the inspector would have caught the fact that the contractor used wire that was too small for my outlets. No I worry every time I turn on the heater.

Get the permit.

Jeff
post #11 of 12 Old 11-21-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Where are you located (hint: fill out your profile in the User CP)? The plans may be fine, depending on where you live.

If you have wind or seismic conditions to accommodate, additional details may be required. You could always bring them to your county office and ask.

Tim
post #12 of 12 Old 12-11-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Update.

I"m going to do a practice run and DIY build an 8x12 "Office" adjacent to the house, where I can learn and get my mistakes out of the way, then build the real theater out in a couple years, as planned.

I bought the plans here: https://www.icreatables.com/sheds/8x...hed-plans.html

I'll modify slightly to build a double wall room within a room. (decoupled double frame wall, air gap, 2 door airlock, minimal penetration of walls.)

I'm going to put my gaming PC in there, and get it out of the main house. Its current position in the back corner of my current theater compromises the seating positions, so it will be a win-win with more space and better seating.

One of the "big" unavoidable expenses to build out the real theater is the electric. I currently have a 200A panel fully loaded. My contractor estimated it would be about $5-7k to have an electrician upgrade the main house to a 300A service panel, and take 100A from that to trench and run a 100A sub-panel out ~100ft away to where the real theater is planned and wire that building up.

With a little office a couple feet to the side of the house, I can skip that and just run an extension cord to it from the existing exterior house outlets. Kind of ghetto, but fine for its intended purpose.

Anyhow, I'm going all out on the gaming PC. (It's already built.) An I7-990x CPU, a GTX 980 video card. 512 Gb solid state main drive and 2TB extra storage. The only upgrade I need is a 4k monitor. I've been waiting for the tech to mature before buying one. I'll make sure to get one where the resolution matches the 4k blu ray standard that is supposed to be coming in 2015 of 3840 x 2160.

Considering this one now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236338

I'll have that 32" 4k monitor arms length away with a 7.1 system all around it for PC gaming and solo blu ray watching.

Simulator Cockpit: Something like this: http://www.thewayiplay.com/mainforum...p?topic=2085.0
Using an aftermarket car seat: http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...sport-seat.jpg

DIY Speakers:
Six Fusion Vibe 6's: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...sion6-kit.html
One Fusion 4 quad center: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...sion4-kit.html
One Full Marty, driver undecided. Don't need much for ~ 80 square foot of finished space. Will likely use a SI 18"

I'll try to find a low latency 7.1 AVR to drive the speakers without any extra amplification. Then run the subwoofer from an I-Nuke 3000 DSP.

I'm planning on drawing ventilation from a the main house by building a dead vent from an already conditioned space, and run duct through an attic muffler, out the side of the house, and into the back gable of the shed to supply conditioned air using techniques from The Soundproofing Co. : http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...the-dead-vent/

Anyhow, my wife is hoping this will be enough to satisfy my AV lusts, and we won't need to build the full theater out later. I'm planning on starting the build in March, so will update as I move forward.

Last edited by Oregon Chris; 12-11-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page