I've never seen anyone put a projector where I'm going to put mine. Is it ok? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-29-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I've never seen anyone put a projector where I'm going to put mine. Is it ok?

I'm in the process of building my theater and I've been having trouble figuring out how to mount it. The best location is above the riser but due to boxing in my HVAC trunks and putting the riser below them the projector would be too low mounted there.
Yesterday I had what I thought was a genius idea. Build in a box at the end of the shorter HVAC trunk and put the projector in it. It's super hard to explain like that but I already had the room modeled in sketchup so I just added it in.
I know the first comment would be about ventilation for the projector so let me mention that it's going at the end of the return air duct and I am going to put a big vent in the end of it right behind the projector. I would think that would give it pretty good airflow but I'm not positive so that's why I'm here. Open to any suggestions about anything.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm planning on using the BenQ HT1075, the lens is about 11' away, the screen is 125" wide and it's 2 or 3" below the projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	392658   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	392666  

Last edited by thebatman; 11-29-2014 at 07:56 PM.
thebatman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-29-2014, 08:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 32,787
Mentioned: 464 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6183 Post(s)
Liked: 5871
you will need to be sure that the air is circulating when you have the projector turned on, or come up with a back up failsafe such as a supplemental exhaust fan on a thermostat. That set up could blow air into the return.
BIGmouthinDC is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-29-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I always leave the circulating fan going on the furnace. It helps keep the house closer to the same temp and it only costs around $5 a month. It doesn't blow super hard though, do you think that's enough for cooling? Other than that does this sound like a good idea?
thebatman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 11-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
scraejtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebatman View Post
I always leave the circulating fan going on the furnace. It helps keep the house closer to the same temp and it only costs around $5 a month. It doesn't blow super hard though, do you think that's enough for cooling? Other than that does this sound like a good idea?
In my experience running an HVAC blower will typically cost much more than that.

3-4 ton AC system may have a 3/4 HP blower. (0.37 kW) 266 kW-hr per month, at an average US electric cost of $0.13, that is $34 a month.

Even a small system will add up quite a bit, and filters will need to be replaced much more often. The newer high SEER systems use VFD's, or at least have two fan speeds, which can lower the blower power needed considerably.
scraejtp is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-30-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraejtp View Post
In my experience running an HVAC blower will typically cost much more than that.

3-4 ton AC system may have a 3/4 HP blower. (0.37 kW) 266 kW-hr per month, at an average US electric cost of $0.13, that is $34 a month.

Even a small system will add up quite a bit, and filters will need to be replaced much more often. The newer high SEER systems use VFD's, or at least have two fan speeds, which can lower the blower power needed considerably.
I've got a friend who works for the local electric company and he was over and checked how much power the blower was using just circulating. He said it came out to about $5 a month. My electric bill last month was around $55 and I've had it even lower before with the fan circulating 24/7. But the question remains, is it enough airflow to cool a projector?

Edit: It does have a much lower fan speed when it's just circulating, I re-read your comment and it sounds like you thought it was running full blast all the time.

Last edited by thebatman; 11-30-2014 at 10:24 AM.
thebatman is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm doing something similar to yours. I'm placing my projector between stud bays to try and raise the screen height as much as possible (8' ceiling with large projector offset). For ventilation, I installed a very quiet bathroom exhaust fan in the bay. I have it located directly behind and slightly above the projector. Since I plan on only having a opening for the lens, the air drawn in will have to travel directly across the projector. I have the projector and fan run on the same circuit to a switch in the equipment closet.

If soundproofing is important to your design, be sure and plan accordingly. I build a box around the projector and fan in the stud bay with double drywall and green glue.
Ben Broschat is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 176
If your system (AC) is like mine the fan is on constantly just to recirculate the air and then kicks on at higher speeds to heat and cool the house. If I put my hand over the vents I can feel an ever so slight air movement from the vent. If your system is similar to mine then I would not think that airflow would be sufficient enough to cool the PJ. I would want to make for sure that you had some type of fan to provide adequate cooling airflow.

Just my .02

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-30-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
If your system (AC) is like mine the fan is on constantly just to recirculate the air and then kicks on at higher speeds to heat and cool the house. If I put my hand over the vents I can feel an ever so slight air movement from the vent. If your system is similar to mine then I would not think that airflow would be sufficient enough to cool the PJ. I would want to make for sure that you had some type of fan to provide adequate cooling airflow.

Just my .02

Regards,

RTROSE
Yeah, it's just like that. On the one hand I thought that since the projector has a fan that as long as the air had a place to move to it would be fine, but on the other hand it'll have drywall above and below it that may trap heat.
I have an onkyo 616 upstairs in a cabinet and those things run hot no matter what, in the cabinet it would be almost too hot to touch. Except for the time I tested how hot it would get I always left the door open until I got a couple PC fans wired to a USB plug. I plugged it in to one of the USB slots on the onkyo, so they run when it's on, and put them on top of the hottest part of the reciever. Now even with the door closed it stays cool. I'm thinking doing the same with the projector would work great since the air has more of a place to go being right in front of the return air.
thebatman is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-30-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebatman View Post
Yeah, it's just like that. On the one hand I thought that since the projector has a fan that as long as the air had a place to move to it would be fine, but on the other hand it'll have drywall above and below it that may trap heat.
I have an onkyo 616 upstairs in a cabinet and those things run hot no matter what, in the cabinet it would be almost too hot to touch. Except for the time I tested how hot it would get I always left the door open until I got a couple PC fans wired to a USB plug. I plugged it in to one of the USB slots on the onkyo, so they run when it's on, and put them on top of the hottest part of the reciever. Now even with the door closed it stays cool. I'm thinking doing the same with the projector would work great since the air has more of a place to go being right in front of the return air.
I know that the Onkyos have a reputation for running warm/hot. I would say that if you put some additional fans in with the PJ to supplement the cooling fan of the PJ you should be good to go.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off