I built my first dedicated theater 7 years ago with the help of this forum and really got a lot of enjoyment out of it. We recently moved and are converting a gameroom / attic space into a mostly dedicated theater. So, essentially a blank canvas!
This time, I thought I'd try to document the process with a build thread. My original goal was to be operational by January 1, 2015 (approx. 4 months from the start of the project). I suppose that I could have reached that goal. Predictably, I didn't have the willpower to ignore a functional projector and screen.
Other than the carpet, this is going to be entirely DIY.
(1) Large (30' x 30'), nearly square room (see the layout below)
(2) Attic ceiling with knee walls and dormer windows (see the profile picture below)
(1) Aesthetics and comfort over acoustics / sound proofing. However, I am putting some effort into getting the acoustics to be decent.
(2) "Get 'r done." I can push out the acoustic treatments but need to finish up the rest of it as soon as possible.
- Sony HW55ES
- 134" 16:9 Carada BW criterion
- 6 "Fusion Streamline" seats from Roman.
- used Middle Atlantic 27U
- Denon X6200W
- Emotiva Mini-x a-100 amplifiers x 2 (to power the 4 height speakers)
Fronts: RF-7 ii
Center: RC-4 ii
Surrounds side and rear: RS-62 ii x 4
Height (for Atmos): CDT-5800C ii x4
Subwoofers: SW-115 x 2 (probably not my first choice but they came along as part of a package deal)
- DirecTV Genie HR44 STB, Apple TV 4, Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray Player
- Simple Control app. on a dedicated iPad Mini 2
Lighting / automation
- Universal Devices isy994i controller for Insteon dimmers and switches
Powered curtain rod
Phase 1 - planning - complete
Overall layout - complete
Color scheme - fabric ordered and received (will create a separate post). Paint colors selected.
Phase 2 - stage / proscenium / carpet - complete.
Stage - complete
Carpet - complete
Proscenium construction and screen wall - complete.
Phase 3 - paint / trim / aesthetics
Tray ceiling / soffit - done except for trim.
Numerous drywall repairs - done.
Painting - done
Trim - need to still add crown to the tray soffit.
Phase 4 - install equipment - complete
Phase 5 - acoustic treatments
Screen wall and super chunk absorbers for front corners are completed.
Ceiling, side and rear walls - TBD
- discussing with GIK Acoustics.