Hawkeye Theatre Build - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #391 of 428 Old 12-24-2015, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Excellent Job!!

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 428 Old 12-24-2015, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Hawkeye,

What did you end up doing for your speakers? Are you 5.1.2? Looks like you have a couple of Atmos speakers with the option for a second sub. I'm trying to figure this out for myself so I'm curious where you ended up.
post #393 of 428 Old 12-24-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post

This is a thing of absolute beauty!!! Truly...congratulations. it's going to look SICK with the screen up and chairs positioned. It does justice to its inspiration, but it's still unique enough that I forgot you were modeling this after another theater until I went back into your thread and stumbled across the reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 428 Old 12-24-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post
Hawkeye,

What did you end up doing for your speakers? Are you 5.1.2? Looks like you have a couple of Atmos speakers with the option for a second sub. I'm trying to figure this out for myself so I'm curious where you ended up.
One sub...bah!....heh heh. Two 18s are ground floor, sir!
post #395 of 428 Old 12-24-2015, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Looks great!

How were the speaker grills painted? I have some in walls in my great rooom, and whenever I have tried to n paint them is the part they end up looking horrible.
Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Satin Espresso General Purpose Spray Paint. Just light coats from every angle. It's gotta go on very lightly and build up...too much at one time and it'll start collecting on the scrim behind the grill. I know this because I messed up a few spots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post
Hawkeye,

5.1.4 GoldenEar 7000s for the ceiling, MPX for the sides, and Triton 5s for the LCR. Two subs up front, and the binding post is for a future upgrade of either another sub(s) behind the seating, or transducers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
This is a thing of absolute beauty!!! Truly...congratulations. it's going to look SICK with the screen up and chairs positioned. It does justice to its inspiration, but it's still unique enough that I forgot you were modeling this after another theater until I went back into your thread and stumbled across the reference.
Thanks Beast! I'm definitely following along in your build too...I saw you're going with the GE 7000s for the ceiling, you're gonna love them! And yeah, this is heavily influenced by the Rawlinsway. It was the first theater design and color that both my wife and I agreed upon. Thanks again to BIG for the inspiration.

Thanks again everyone! Santa has to go set up some more presents...so to all a good night!
post #396 of 428 Old 12-24-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 214
What an absolutely gorgeous space! The dimensions are perfect, the paint scheme is awesome and the columns are things of beauty. Damn fine job!!
post #397 of 428 Old 12-24-2015, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddd View Post
What an absolutely gorgeous space! The dimensions are perfect, the paint scheme is awesome and the columns are things of beauty. Damn fine job!!
It's amazing what some trim and paint can do to a carcass of MDF!
dnoonie likes this.
post #398 of 428 Old 12-24-2015, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
You can easily see from the pictures that you have a superior paint job!! Are you glad you went with a two-tone paint scheme vs. three-tone now that it is finished? What's your blackout plan for the front wall and stage?

Something tells me a couple of bedsheets are going to be hanging up on the front screen wall by Christmas day!
All praise goes towards my painter...he was really stoked about doing this job and to make it perfect. And yes, the two tone is exactly what needed to be done down there...thanks again for helping me realize that!

You know the best part about being at this stage of the build? No more decisions! It's like there's a couple really big decisions/choices to be made, and a million billion small decisions and it's these that are the ones that are just enough to drive you mad. Obviously with more building experience I would assume this lessens, but for a first-timer...holy crap, there were some nights I could barely sleep with all the to-dos and orders and choices to be made.

And that's why this forum is so incredibly awesome. Yeah there's a lot of comment and opinion clutter, but once you wade through it, it's an absolute gold mine not just for theater stuff, but for general construction methodologies, tools, advice, etc.

I'm forever in your debt AVS!
post #399 of 428 Old 12-25-2015, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Looks amazing Mike! You are on the home stretch now.
post #400 of 428 Old 12-25-2015, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgolf View Post
Looks amazing Mike! You are on the home stretch now.
Thanks Calvin! We already got some great use out of it for Christmas today...first revealing a train table at the end of present opening (little guy hadn't even seen the basement carpeted yet), and then later when friends had their kid over and the men had a good music listening session! Give the band Morphine a listen with DSU enabled, specifically their album cure for pain. Just a two string bass, a sax, vocals and drums...perfect for that kind of processing!

OK, enough thank yous...back to some things that are helping me finish this project up:

Some Arlington Industries D35 Non-Conductive D Ring 3" x 5" from Parts Express is exactly what I was looking for but didn't know existed. Crawling back behind the rack I just want to get the speaker wire and other cables up and out of the way. I'll shoot a pic of it when I get that done.

And the other thing I needed was a relatively inexpensive way to turn my iNuke on with the receiver since it inexplicably doesn't have a 12v trigger port. I got the Smart Strip 4941 Energy Saving Surge Protector with Autoswitching Technology, 7-Outlet from Amazon. Works perfectly between my Yammie 2050 and the iNuke. I also bought 1" O.D. x 1x8" O-rings to mask the iNuke's bright orange lights. Quieter fans are also on order. I'm trusting you guys that this thing can move some woofers because it's already got three strikes against it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D-Ring.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1141938  
post #401 of 428 Old 12-30-2015, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

We just couldn't wait any more! Put up the biggest bedsheet we had in the closet. The real thing should be shipped out early next week according to Mr. Falcon, and seats will follow right behind according to Mr. Roman.

And 18" x2 of BOOM is in, thanks to Blah for driving them over! I ponied up $35 for a Chromecast so I could throw some music at these via wi-fi direct without the need to turn on the PJ. Dear God does it sound sweet, even without much tweaking.

All gear is now installed, wired, logged into, and functioning properly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151230_3035_1.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	1152314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151229_3037.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	1152322  
JCJetta, BllDo and bsuave like this.
post #402 of 428 Old 01-19-2016, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Except for a couple of velvet wrapped trim pieces to fill the gaps above and below the screen, and filling out Nyal's acoustical treatment plan, the theatre is fully operational! Roman's chairs were delivered today and I am completely thrilled with them. A huge thumbs up of approval from the rest of the family too. Thank you Roman!

Rich's Falcon screen is also superbly super awesome! I already emailed him but thought I'd share it here, that my experience with Rich is without a doubt one of the best, if not the best, purchasing experiences ever. Great communication (I told him I was two months out back in Sept...ha!), delivery was as fast as Amazon Prime, and the screen is absolutely top notch in quality and ease of putting it together (only needed help hanging it up).

With the seats in, I finally ran my Yamaha's calibration. Credit Sandy on making an amazing speaker family...I know I've said this a couple times now, but the balance between the front towers, the in-ceilings and the in-walls is incredible. While the calibration was running, I honestly wanted to hear a difference between them...to pick apart their shortcomings but I couldn't. It's all one seamless and amazing soundfield.

And thank you thank you thank you AVS! BIG's myriad tips, advice, and entire build threads...this theatre wouldn't exist as it is without the Rawlinsway; Granroth's stage filling tests (my back thanks you!), other investigations, and advice; Blah for getting the itch to build a bigger and better sub so I could snag his 18" beauties; Seegs for a PJ obsession that saved my budget with an awesome gently loved JVC; ckGolf for opening up his home and theatre (my first first-hand AVS build experience!); ...and everyone else who posted to my thread, or in another thread, I'm truly in debt (figuratively...ok, just a little bit of literally...CC will be paid off next month) for every nudge of advice, product suggestion, etc. Looking back this really did come together pretty well and I have everyone here to thank.

We got it done just in time too...we've got over a foot of snow over the last day. A perfect excuse to catch up on watching everything I've been putting off for the past year.

Thank you again...THE HAWKEYE THEATRE IS OPEN!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160119_3126.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	1196338   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160119_3127.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	1196346  
rms8, bpassman, JCJetta and 8 others like this.
post #403 of 428 Old 01-19-2016, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Congratulations, it looks great.

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
post #404 of 428 Old 01-20-2016, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Congrats.. it looks phenomenal!!

post #405 of 428 Old 01-20-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I love it when a plan comes together!
post #406 of 428 Old 01-20-2016, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Two thumbs up!!!...nuff said, sir!
post #407 of 428 Old 01-21-2016, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Great job! Your room turned out great.

Alright now, you're a photographer, so I hope you know how important it is to get the video side of your system calibrated as well as the audio side. A lot of people don't really care, but those projectors are pretty inaccurate out of the box. And no, a blu-ray calibration disc doesn't fix it. I'm pretty sure with your photography experience, you could DIY it and save yourself some money.
post #408 of 428 Old 01-21-2016, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Wow - you should really be proud. This turned out amazingly well!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #409 of 428 Old 01-21-2016, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 2406 Post(s)
Liked: 4951
post #410 of 428 Old 01-21-2016, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Congratulations, it looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dRwOOD73 View Post
Congrats.. it looks phenomenal!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
I love it when a plan comes together!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post
Two thumbs up!!!...nuff said, sir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

Alright now, you're a photographer, so I hope you know how important it is to get the video side of your system calibrated as well as the audio side. A lot of people don't really care, but those projectors are pretty inaccurate out of the box. And no, a blu-ray calibration disc doesn't fix it. I'm pretty sure with your photography experience, you could DIY it and save yourself some money.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post
Wow - you should really be proud. This turned out amazingly well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Your room turned out great! Love the colors,trim ,carpet and paint. Enjoy your room everything looks good.

Thanks again everyone! For calibration, I would like to dig into the video especially. I have a doohickey for calibrating my monitor for photography, but not sure how folks are calibrating screens - something I'll have to get smart on, but nothing I haven't really seen before. Audio has been run through the Yamaha's YPAO and that made a huge difference. I made sure to run it a couple times mostly keeping an eye on the sub output levels from the AVR. I wanted to make sure I wasn't clipping the input signal, and then just kept bumping up the output from the iNuke until the levels didn't need my volume adjustment from the AVR. I will dig into the DSP/EQ side of things, and I know there's a good thread on that here.

Blah, get your butt over here this weekend!
dRwOOD73 likes this.
post #411 of 428 Old 01-22-2016, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Fantastic! I mean, I knew it was going to be since I followed this thread from the beginning... but it's still so gratifying to see a finished product turn out so well.

Congratulations
post #412 of 428 Old 01-24-2016, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again everyone! For calibration, I would like to dig into the video especially. I have a doohickey for calibrating my monitor for photography, but not sure how folks are calibrating screens - something I'll have to get smart on, but nothing I haven't really seen before.
There are a few things you'll need to get.

1. A tripod - I'm sure you have one of these seeing as how you have taught me more about cameras then any book I've read.

2. Software - There are 2 kinds for the most part, Spectracal and Chromapure. Spectracal is the more widely used and the one I use as well but either one will work. There is a free one called HCFR if you wanna venture into that realm but that sounds like more of a @granroth kind of thing to do. Actually he would get all three and put up a comparison video on Youtube. Hey not a bad idea for your next experiment.

3. A Colorimeter - I have a $300 X-Rite i1 Display Pro. The best one that's not $5,000, is a Spectracal C6 for about $700. The C6 is a modded i1 Display Pro with more speed and accuracy, etc.

4. USB extension cables. I would get more than one of these. They come in handy for sure.

5. An RS-232 cable. You'll want a long one. In fact, I would get one that is standard, and one that is null modem. Monoprice will have both. This goes to your projector. I believe JVC allows for Direct Display Control in Spectracal which will allow you to control adjustments to the projector from your software instead of having to use the PJ's remote. Much faster this way.

6. A USB to RS-232 adapter.

7. A pattern generator of some kind. The Digital Video Essentials disc can be used but you'll need a USB-IR thing which Spectracal sells for around $100. I'm sure there are plenty of downloadable files that you can put on a USB stick also. Your JVC may have some built in patterns as well. I think my RS-45 did if I'm not mistaken. Also, if you want to get out there and buy yourself a video processor like a Lumagen Radiance (around$1500), then they will have built in test patterns as well.

8. And finally, you'll want to read this. It's an excellent beginner's guide.

By the way, I'm assuming you have a laptop. And, I would stay away from Windows 10 with any of this software. I upgraded and had to immediately go back to Windows 8.1 because none of the software would work.

Last edited by JVoth; 01-24-2016 at 04:04 AM.
post #413 of 428 Old 01-24-2016, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't believe he has full access to all tweakable aspects with that particular JVC??
He could cal it to some degree, but he will be limited.
post #414 of 428 Old 01-24-2016, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post
I don't believe he has full access to all tweakable aspects with that particular JVC??
He could cal it to some degree, but he will be limited.
Why is that, blah? What exactly on that PJ is limited? Is it a software issue or something?
post #415 of 428 Old 01-24-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 154
good job man! i was wondering if you were done. i have fallen off a bit!

jim
post #416 of 428 Old 01-24-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why is that, blah? What exactly on that PJ is limited? Is it a software issue or something?
Just meant that he can do greyscale and gamma and get dang close to where he wants, but there is no CMS to access on the X30...
post #417 of 428 Old 01-24-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh okay. Yeah I had the same model for a while (RS-45). I guess he needs to go ahead and a Lumagen to complete the package.
post #418 of 428 Old 01-28-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 503
what did you end up doing for lights?
post #419 of 428 Old 01-30-2016, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
what did you end up doing for lights?

CE LED lights that are j-box compatible from the Depot. Go back to post #2 in this thread and I have a pic of them there.
post #420 of 428 Old 01-30-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
CE LED lights that are j-box compatible from the Depot. Go back to post #2 in this thread and I have a pic of them there.
Speaking of those lights, you said they dim pretty far down, but not all the way? is there a 20%to0 drop or something similar when going off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page