Just a hello from new home theater DIY builder - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The projector is over 7 foot up and enclosed at the very rear of this room. Theater space is small, just over 14 foot long. Pretty sure we will have traditional living room type furniture down here as my wife isn't too thrilled using this space strictly for a dedicated theater to begin with. With more traditional furnishings, she will be less prone to make too big a deal out of it. But, it was really only a junk space before I decided to make it into a HT, sauna and bathroom, so I may just go all the way and do theater seating. Won't know until I get further down the road with building. It could have a double row of 3. Back row would have to be on risers though, or too many heads to look through. Not too keen on that idea myself, so most likely have a large corner recliner sofa and maybe 1 or 2 more single recliners with a few throw floor pillows for grand kids.

-Rodger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 02-18-2015, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjamar View Post
The projector is over 7 foot up and enclosed at the very rear of this room. Theater space is small, just over 14 foot long. Pretty sure we will have traditional living room type furniture down here as my wife isn't too thrilled using this space strictly for a dedicated theater to begin with. With more traditional furnishings, she will be less prone to make too big a deal out of it. But, it was really only a junk space before I decided to make it into a HT, sauna and bathroom, so I may just go all the way and do theater seating. Won't know until I get further down the road with building. It could have a double row of 3. Back row would have to be on risers though, or too many heads to look through. Not too keen on that idea myself, so most likely have a large corner recliner sofa and maybe 1 or 2 more single recliners with a few throw floor pillows for grand kids.

-Rodger
Yeah with that distance and from what I've read from others on here, it wouldn't leave you with much riser space as everyone seems to recommend at least 5' of riser but preferably 6' in order to give the front row room and to recline the back seats. This would put your front row of seating way too close to the screen but doable if you don't mind a viewing distance of 9' to 8' (8' more likely) with that big of a screen.
post #33 of 40 Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

That decision is a ways off yet, so I continue the build, bit by bit. I may have to switch gears here anyways and go back on the bathroom/sauna and finish that out first. Tough being about the only set of hands with all this work to do most of the time, but I knew what I was getting myself into, as I have gotten myself into more then I like to remember over the past 50 years or so, HA! Makes life interesting at the least.

-Rodger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 02-18-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterss View Post
Yeah with that distance and from what I've read from others on here, it wouldn't leave you with much riser space as everyone seems to recommend at least 5' of riser but preferably 6' in order to give the front row room and to recline the back seats. This would put your front row of seating way too close to the screen but doable if you don't mind a viewing distance of 9' to 8' (8' more likely) with that big of a screen.
And this is why it's always recommended to figure out the seating plan first, then choose the screen size and position based on the locations of the eyeballs, instead of trying to fit everyone in based on some screen dimensions picked ahead of time...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #35 of 40 Old 02-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjamar View Post
That decision is a ways off yet, so I continue the build, bit by bit. I may have to switch gears here anyways and go back on the bathroom/sauna and finish that out first. Tough being about the only set of hands with all this work to do most of the time, but I knew what I was getting myself into, as I have gotten myself into more then I like to remember over the past 50 years or so, HA! Makes life interesting at the least.

-Rodger
Haha I hear that! I'm actually in the process of doing my entire basement along with the theater room and it's all solo wok as well, so I understand what you mean by taking your time and going slow. I find that when I was going fast I was missing important steps and having to backtrack, evidenced in the soundproofing thread where I had to move my doorway frame job, lol.
post #36 of 40 Old 02-18-2015, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I use to outwork 3, even 4 guys worth in a day when I was young and tough. Now I'm old and tougher (I suppose in some ways anyhow), but I lack the drive to race to get done most of the time. Few times a month I still go to our shop or jobsite and do some real work, but thankfully not really needed too much any more. I am still good at what I do, but to keep it good I find I'm now at bit slower speed.

As to screen size, I have already watched a few movies with a bit larger screen size on a temp setup and liked it. So, smaller screen won't be what I'd want. I am not one to have things "by the book" anyways. More a "take it as it comes" sorta guys. It will be fine.

-Rodger
post #37 of 40 Old 02-19-2015, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

My son Andy said awhile back we should be a bit creative on the theater ceiling. I had also given thought to this and had some time this morning and did a bit of "decorating" my model. I will actually do a design for the cabinetry, so this model will server some purpose other then day dreaming. Anyways, it is much easier to set here and build this HT in my computer then it is down in the basement. Funny how that works, HA!

-Rodger

theater walls and stage spots on by marjamar, on Flickr
post #38 of 40 Old 02-19-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 473
post #39 of 40 Old 02-19-2015, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
What software are you using for the design?
Designing software is Sketchup Pro 2015. Rendering is done using the IRender nXt 5.0 plugin. Over the years, I have owned and used quite a number of 2D & 3D design software, but sketch up is the quickest for simple things.

-Rodger
post #40 of 40 Old 02-19-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Oh, cool! I've used SketchUp extensively but didn't even recognize the results with the rendering added on. It never occurred to me to look into a rendering package. Hrm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page