TBNL (To Be Named Later) Theater Build - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 70 Old 03-16-2016, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnwnv View Post
I still have more updates to do before I am caught up to present day, but I wanted to throw out a question first. As you can see from the last picture of my stage area, I lack the corners traditionally used for bass traps. While I have managed to read the Acoustics thread from start to finish (a pretty big feat in my opinion), I can't say I "absorbed" as much as I would like. I generally understand the reason corners are good for bass trapping, so I am curious what options I might have with the shape of my room. I will have an AT screen, so I have some space to work with back there. I could still cut the traditional triangles and put the long side against the wall, but I am not sure if that will function properly from an acoustic perspective. That might be hard to envision and I don't have time to draw it right now, but if you look at the stage and picture an AT screen about 2 feet off that wall you can see where a reversed triangle might fit at the very edge against the wall. If anyone has thoughts on that idea, or perhaps a better one, please let me know. Thanks.
You may not need bass traps since you have multiple subs. Ideally you would run 4 subs but I know you said you wouldn't have room. Even with two though, you may be able to position them where standing waves are not a big issue. Have you tried using a room simulator in REW? With that being said, bass traps should only make things better if you are able to fit them in somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 Old 03-16-2016, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattcc22 View Post
You may not need bass traps since you have multiple subs. Ideally you would run 4 subs but I know you said you wouldn't have room. Even with two though, you may be able to position them where standing waves are not a big issue. Have you tried using a room simulator in REW? With that being said, bass traps should only make things better if you are able to fit them in somehow.
I have not done any room simulations, but based on the fact that both of my subs will be in the front I am guessing I will have a need. That is being said with very limited acoustic knowledge of course. I would love to be able to put some in the back, but I just couldn't do it with the space I have and still hit my other priorities.
post #33 of 70 Old 03-16-2016, 09:44 AM

No way to add two more slimmer subs in the back at either the rear wall or side wall? With the layout you have I think it would be much harder to add large enough bass traps to make a difference than to add two more subs to even things out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1317969  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 70 Old 03-16-2016, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

I suppose the only thing that I had not considered in the past was trying to work something into the base of the 2 rear columns. Anything else would interfere too much with the walkway, which is already fairly tight. I wish I was able to move the door, but that wasn't an option with my house the way it is. If I did try to do something in those columns, it would most likely have to be completely custom which is not something I have ever attempted. It would seem to me that I probably would not have the necessary depth to use the columns, but it is a reasonable idea. Certainly something I will look into. If anyone has attempted something similar please share. Of course, getting some wires in there at this point will be somewhat challenging, but if I can find a way to fit a sub in there it would probably be worth the effort. Thanks for the thoughts.
post #35 of 70 Old 03-17-2016, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hopefully this post will bring us up to date. After finishing the bottom of the soffit/light tray, I went about putting in the lighting. Like many, I am putting 3 types of lighting into the soffit area which includes can lights, black lights, and rope light. They are all on separate switches near the door, which I will also control via iRule. I also put in the interior door, built a custom threshold to deal with the step up due to my soundproofing, and installed my rack.

Here is a photo of the threshold. It will be painted at a later stage.

Here you can see my door configuration. I have 2 sets of doors. A set of double doors on the exterior, and then a solid core door on the interior. The reasoning for this is two-fold. First, I have double walls and it helps with the sound. Second, and probably more important, is the WAF. You can see these doors from the foyer, and she likes the look of them. I will be building an entrance around them as well at some point in the future.

The first of the lighting to go in was the can lights. Nothing terribly special here. Just can lights I got from Amazon and LED bulbs. I will be using gimbal trim to achieve the wall wash effect on my fabric panels.

ONce all of those were wired up, I put in the black lights. They are towards the back of the light tray and raised up as high as they can go without being able to see them from the other side of the room. It looks like the light hits the entire ceiling, so hopefully it should work well.

The rope light will be attached to the back of the front piece of the light tray, so that will come last. Prior to that I put a coat of black paint on the back of the soffit since it would be hard to reach once the face of the light tray was up. I know I will have to touch it up later, but that's OK. I also put the front of the light tray up and then painted the soffit itself. Here is where the room sits as of today.

My next room tasks are to touch up the soffit where I can still see screws and such and then to install the rope light. Once that is done, I am going to start my columns. I have gone back and forth on design for those many times. Plus, I am now trying to see if I can fit some subs into my back columns, which may impact the overall design as well. My first step though, is to complete my Volt-10 speakers. I need to hide those in the columns, so I need the speakers ready so I can work on some prototypes. So, that is I am today. I welcome any thoughts or feedback anyone has on what I have done so far, or what is coming up. Thanks.
astrofool likes this.

Last edited by grnwnv; 03-21-2016 at 09:29 AM.
post #36 of 70 Old 03-20-2016, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I put up all of the track for my rope light, and I went to get it up there this afternoon. I ran into an issue I am hoping someone can help me with, though I am a little afraid of the answer. More to the point, I think I know the answer but I am hoping I am wrong. Upon connecting my rope light to my dimmer, I noticed that they do not turn all the way off even when the switch is off. They dim correctly and everything, but they just don't ever turn all the way off. My dimmer is a Leviton Vizia RF+ zWave dimmer (VRMX1-1LZ), and my rope lights are the ones in the link below.

http://www.cbconcept.com/120VLEDSMD5...-Blue-165.aspx

Anyone know of a way to fix this that doesn't involve either a different dimmer or different rope light? Thanks in advance.
post #37 of 70 Old 03-20-2016, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I had seen this issue before, and finally I found the right search terms. Apparently these switches bleed a little bit, which is what I was afraid of. They claimed their newer version would fix this, but I have the newest version they just released recently and it still has this issue. I see a few have resolved this issue with a relay in between the plug and the outlet so I am going to try that and see if it works.
post #38 of 70 Old 03-21-2016, 09:13 AM

Not sure if it's just me or not, but that last set of pics you posted is not showing up.
post #39 of 70 Old 03-21-2016, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for letting me know. Not sure why no one else said anything, but you might be the only one actually reading the thread. Anyway, I fixed them now.
post #40 of 70 Old 03-23-2016, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I'm still here with you boss. Pics look good. If you're concerned about bass traps and room treatments, and you should be, then I'll ask if you've considered buying a basic treatment plan from a designer? They are typically under $1000 and will take the guesswork out of where to put each treatment and what type to put where.
post #41 of 70 Old 03-23-2016, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

I have considered it, and went so far as to have a call with Nyal at one point, but I didn't pull the trigger. I know I probably should do it, but for some reason I haven't been able to convince myself to do it. At this point most of the room decisions are made, so there is no going back now. I guess I always look at the theaters that get those plans and they seem a lot "higher end" than mine, so it didn't seem justified. I also always come back the question of whether or not I will even notice the difference. This is my first theater, and have never even been in one like it before. Since I would never know what it was like without a professional plan, I won't ever know if it was worth it or not. Crazy, I know, but that is how my brain works. It is a fair point though, so I will consider it again. I can't change much about the room, but perhaps someone can at least tell me how to best treat what I have. Thanks for the thought.
post #42 of 70 Old 03-25-2016, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
I have considered it, and went so far as to have a call with Nyal at one point, but I didn't pull the trigger. I know I probably should do it, but for some reason I haven't been able to convince myself to do it. At this point most of the room decisions are made, so there is no going back now. I guess I always look at the theaters that get those plans and they seem a lot "higher end" than mine, so it didn't seem justified. I also always come back the question of whether or not I will even notice the difference. This is my first theater, and have never even been in one like it before. Since I would never know what it was like without a professional plan, I won't ever know if it was worth it or not. Crazy, I know, but that is how my brain works. It is a fair point though, so I will consider it again. I can't change much about the room, but perhaps someone can at least tell me how to best treat what I have. Thanks for the thought.

All you have is a soundproofed shell so a treatment plan can still be put into place. In my old room, before I built it semi-right, I could immediately tell a difference when I added corner bass traps. There is measurable proof that these treatments work. You already have a pretty high end setup since you spent the time and money to soundproof properly so I say you should definitely pull the trigger on a plan. I wish I would have when I rebuilt mine.
post #43 of 70 Old 05-03-2016, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I put up all of the track for my rope light, and I went to get it up there this afternoon. I ran into an issue I am hoping someone can help me with, though I am a little afraid of the answer. More to the point, I think I know the answer but I am hoping I am wrong. Upon connecting my rope light to my dimmer, I noticed that they do not turn all the way off even when the switch is off. They dim correctly and everything, but they just don't ever turn all the way off. My dimmer is a Leviton Vizia RF+ zWave dimmer (VRMX1-1LZ), and my rope lights are the ones in the link below.

http://www.cbconcept.com/120VLEDSMD5...-Blue-165.aspx

Anyone know of a way to fix this that doesn't involve either a different dimmer or different rope light? Thanks in advance.
Any luck on a fix for the rope light?
post #44 of 70 Old 05-04-2016, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scaro View Post
Any luck on a fix for the rope light?
Yep. I found this little plug on Amazon and it solved my issue. I am using a switched outlet for my rope lights, so this works. If you aren't doing that then it probably isn't as useful.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Suppl...ilpage_o00_s00

Hope that helps.
post #45 of 70 Old 05-04-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Yep. I found this little plug on Amazon and it solved my issue. I am using a switched outlet for my rope lights, so this works. If you aren't doing that then it probably isn't as useful.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Suppl...ilpage_o00_s00

Hope that helps.
That will work, Thanks. I plan on having my RGB LED rope lights on an outlet attached to Lutron Caseta dimmer. Now I just need to find RGB LED rope lights that change color with an IOS app....

How are your LED working out?
post #46 of 70 Old 05-04-2016, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scaro View Post
That will work, Thanks. I plan on having my RGB LED rope lights on an outlet attached to Lutron Caseta dimmer. Now I just need to find RGB LED rope lights that change color with an IOS app....

How are your LED working out?
I like the ones I chose. I thought about going with RGB lights, but in the end I knew I wouldn't change them enough for it to be worthwhile. I also didn't like the options I found for controlling the colors since I didn't see anything I could easily integrate with everything else. Perhaps it is out there, but it eluded me long enough that I just decided on a solid color. The ones I got can be very bright, but they also dim really well. I can't think of anything negative about them.
post #47 of 70 Old 06-27-2016, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2352 Post(s)
Liked: 2389
Quote:
I like the ones I chose. I thought about going with RGB lights, but in the end I knew I wouldn't change them enough for it to be worthwhile. I also didn't like the options I found for controlling the colors since I didn't see anything I could easily integrate with everything else. Perhaps it is out there, but it eluded me long enough that I just decided on a solid color. The ones I got can be very bright, but they also dim really well. I can't think of anything negative about them.
room is looking great so far....glad to see another Jacksonville member in here...
post #48 of 70 Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
room is looking great so far....glad to see another Jacksonville member in here...
Thanks. I definitely don't see many Jax members. Possibly because none of us have those unused basements just begging to become theaters.

I need to post another comprehensive update sometime soon. I finally got my acoustic plan done, and have been working to implement that lately. I finally sourced all of the materials, and now I just have to do the work. Getting thick insulation in Florida is challenging to say the least. Figuring out how to hide all that stuff is my biggest issue right now. I had planned to do a simple panel layout like many people do, but the acoustic plan I got back from AF was quite a bit different than I had expected. So much so that I need to change my plans. All of my speakers (11 + 4 subs) are complete, and the Atmos ones are already in the ceiling.

I also just took my possession of my "new to me" projector. Someone on the forum was selling a barely used RS600, and I couldn't pass it up. Now I am even more motivated to finish. I am doing my best to leave it in the box, but it isn't easy.

Once I get a moment, I will post more pictures and a few more details on what I have done, and what I have left to do.
chadsmith013 and Mattcc22 like this.
post #49 of 70 Old 06-28-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I definitely don't see many Jax members. Possibly because none of us have those unused basements just begging to become theaters.

I need to post another comprehensive update sometime soon. I finally got my acoustic plan done, and have been working to implement that lately. I finally sourced all of the materials, and now I just have to do the work. Getting thick insulation in Florida is challenging to say the least. Figuring out how to hide all that stuff is my biggest issue right now. I had planned to do a simple panel layout like many people do, but the acoustic plan I got back from AF was quite a bit different than I had expected. So much so that I need to change my plans. All of my speakers (11 + 4 subs) are complete, and the Atmos ones are already in the ceiling.

I also just took my possession of my "new to me" projector. Someone on the forum was selling a barely used RS600, and I couldn't pass it up. Now I am even more motivated to finish. I am doing my best to leave it in the box, but it isn't easy.

Once I get a moment, I will post more pictures and a few more details on what I have done, and what I have left to do.
I did mine in my upstairs loft..its not optimal..but doing the best with what I got..

cant wait to see the updates...
post #50 of 70 Old 09-23-2016, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

I have done an awful job of keeping this thread up to date. Probably because pretty much all of my spare time goes to either my kids, or this room. On the plus side, it is REALLY close to being done. The carpet went in yesterday, the bar top goes in next Wednesday, and the screen arrives sometime next week. The only real work left for me now is trim and the entrance. I plan to complete most of the trim this weekend, with the entrance to follow. We have scheduled our premiere night with friends on 10/29, so I have a little over a month to put the finishing touches on things and get everything calibrated. I will try to post some pictures of the intermediate steps later, but for now here are a couple shots of the room as it stands now. Pretty big difference from the last pictures I posted.

post #51 of 70 Old 09-23-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
I have done an awful job of keeping this thread up to date. Probably because pretty much all of my spare time goes to either my kids, or this room. On the plus side, it is REALLY close to being done. The carpet went in yesterday, the bar top goes in next Wednesday, and the screen arrives sometime next week. The only real work left for me now is trim and the entrance. I plan to complete most of the trim this weekend, with the entrance to follow. We have scheduled our premiere night with friends on 10/29, so I have a little over a month to put the finishing touches on things and get everything calibrated. I will try to post some pictures of the intermediate steps later, but for now here are a couple shots of the room as it stands now. Pretty big difference from the last pictures I posted.

It looks like those image links might be broke... Good to hear it's close!
post #52 of 70 Old 09-23-2016, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. I can see the photos, but I am guessing Google finally closed that little security hole they had. You used to be able to manipulate photo links and host them on your Google Drive, but I noticed the links looked a little different now. I will just attach them as thumbs for now until I figure out something better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File_001 (1).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	1678681   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000 (1).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	1678689  
post #53 of 70 Old 09-23-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. I can see the photos, but I am guessing Google finally closed that little security hole they had. You used to be able to manipulate photo links and host them on your Google Drive, but I noticed the links looked a little different now. I will just attach them as thumbs for now until I figure out something better.
Very Nice!!!!

Love the design of the stage.
post #54 of 70 Old 09-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Wow! Looking good!
post #55 of 70 Old 09-23-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

EXACTLY what Mattcc22 said!!
post #56 of 70 Old 09-23-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
WOW '' that is impressive. Love the stage design. Nice colors also. By the way I never read what screen size your doing. With that much space a 2.35 130in to 150in screen looks like it would fit.

Last edited by astrofool; 09-23-2016 at 12:40 PM.
post #57 of 70 Old 09-23-2016, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofool View Post
WOW '' that is impressive. Love the stage design. Nice colors also. By the way I never read what screen size your doing. With that much space a 2.35 130in to 150in screen looks like it would fit.
The screen size is 130" wide, but it is 16:9. While I do watch a lot of movies, television and football are also priorities, so I wanted to get the biggest 16:9 screen I could fit. I will have masking for the screen to accommodate other ratios.
astrofool likes this.
post #58 of 70 Old 10-21-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The screen size is 130" wide, but it is 16:9. While I do watch a lot of movies, television and football are also priorities, so I wanted to get the biggest 16:9 screen I could fit. I will have masking for the screen to accommodate other ratios.
awesome.....you have to let us know when you are up and running....room looks amazing..
post #59 of 70 Old 10-21-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What color is the upper fabric? Is it GOM?
post #60 of 70 Old 10-21-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Op,

Just wanted to jump in and say I think your theater is coming along really nicely. I love the stage design. Also, you may want to check the LED link in my signature. I control mine through Irule, but IOS control is possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page