TBNL (To Be Named Later) Theater Build - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #61 of 70 Old 10-21-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnwnv View Post
I put up all of the track for my rope light, and I went to get it up there this afternoon. I ran into an issue I am hoping someone can help me with, though I am a little afraid of the answer. More to the point, I think I know the answer but I am hoping I am wrong. Upon connecting my rope light to my dimmer, I noticed that they do not turn all the way off even when the switch is off. They dim correctly and everything, but they just don't ever turn all the way off. My dimmer is a Leviton Vizia RF+ zWave dimmer (VRMX1-1LZ), and my rope lights are the ones in the link below.

http://www.cbconcept.com/120VLEDSMD5...-Blue-165.aspx

Anyone know of a way to fix this that doesn't involve either a different dimmer or different rope light? Thanks in advance.
I had a somewhat similar issue....

In my theater I have a DIY remote controlled marquee with a rope light inside of it. Even when the marquee was off, the rope light was still "on"....just barely, but enough that I could tell, in my fully darkened room. Someone on the forum recommended plugging in a small nightlight, into the outlet that the rope light gets power from. I tried this and it worked like a charm, because the nightlight uses just enough voltage, so that nothing is left to bleed into the rope lighting.

Also, because the nightlight is LED, it produces almost no heat, so it's easy to conceal, paint black, etc.

I've seen this fix around other parts of the forum, over the years. I think I also remember one guy mentioning that he opened up one of these cheap nightlights and hardwired it in, before his rope light, to fix the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 10-21-2016, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
What color is the upper fabric? Is it GOM?
The fabric is GoM Anchorage. The color is Deep Water. I couldn't be happier with the color choice and how it turned out.
post #63 of 70 Old 10-21-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
The fabric is GoM Anchorage. The color is Deep Water. I couldn't be happier with the color choice and how it turned out.
Yeah, man it looks great. Have you had any more progress btw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 70 Old 10-21-2016, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
Op,

Just wanted to jump in and say I think your theater is coming along really nicely. I love the stage design. Also, you may want to check the LED link in my signature. I control mine through Irule, but IOS control is possible.
Thanks for the compliments. I don't think the carpet guys loved the stage as much as I do, but they did a great job on it. It turned out better than I had hoped. I did end up fixing my rope light issue with a small adapter I got off of Amazon. It just plugs into the outlet, and then the rope light plugs into it. It worked perfectly. Now my rope lights are controlled via my Vizia RF switch, which I can control via iRule easily.
post #65 of 70 Old 10-21-2016, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Yeah, man it looks great. Have you had any more progress btw?
Yeah, I would say I am about 98% done now. The room is fully operational, and I have watched several movies already. The only thing left inside the room is trim, which I am slowly making progress on. I am also working on the entrance, which is in the early stages. I also still need to calibrate everything, and slightly adjust my projector mount as it is just a hair crooked, but the finish line is very close.

Even with everything probably not ideal from a calibration standpoint, I have to say I am thrilled with what I have. I absolutely love the room, and my family does as well. It took me almost 2 years just in the construction phase (and many more in planning) but I would have to say it was totally worth it. I am going to get many hours of enjoyment out of it for sure.
sigma722 and chadsmith013 like this.
post #66 of 70 Old 10-21-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments. I don't think the carpet guys loved the stage as much as I do, but they did a great job on it. It turned out better than I had hoped. I did end up fixing my rope light issue with a small adapter I got off of Amazon. It just plugs into the outlet, and then the rope light plugs into it. It worked perfectly. Now my rope lights are controlled via my Vizia RF switch, which I can control via iRule easily.
when you have a sec, could you post a link to the adapter you picked up. I'd love to check it out. Thanks
post #67 of 70 Old 10-21-2016, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
when you have a sec, could you post a link to the adapter you picked up. I'd love to check it out. Thanks
No problem. Here you go.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004REW1BG...SIN=B004REW1BG
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #68 of 70 Old 03-30-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked: 2371
any updated pics??
sigma722 likes this.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
post #69 of 70 Old 03-30-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I second that!

@grnwnv - decent chance I shamelessly copy your color scheme, so the more pics the better
post #70 of 70 Old 03-31-2017, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Third it! Need pics!

I'd also love to hear how the soundproofing turned out. Anything you wish you would have done differently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page