Updating Theo's Theater with SIM2, Vutec, and Krell - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1 of 71 Old 03-24-2015, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9166 Post(s)
Liked: 16162
Updating Theo's Theater with SIM2, Vutec, and Krell

Out with the old and in with the new: Theo Kalomirakis updates the Roxy 2.0 with a new screen, new projector, and a new pre/pro.

Thanks to the steady march of technological progress, there is no such thing as the perfect home theater. Instead, much like a garden, you need to tend to it to enjoy the fruits of your labor. The fruit, of course, is the sense of immersion you get from watching a movie in a calibrated, dedicated theater.

It took six years for Theo Kalomirakis to build out his Roxy 2.0 Theater, a process I wrote about here. At the time, I mentioned that Theo planned to update the theater with a 3D-capable projector. As it turns out, he went even further, replacing the screen and adding a high-end pre/pro to elevate the performance of the entire system.

Here's Theo's new screen—a Vutec Vision X DynaCurve FT multi-aspect—which barely fit into the Roxy 2.0

Rather than merely adding 3D capability, Theo sought to maximize the immersive viewing potential of the 13' x 17' theater. That meant squeezing in the widest screen that would fit into the room—an 11-foot-wide, native 2.4:1 Vutec Vision X DynaCurve FT multi-aspect with SoundScreen acoustically transparent woven material.

The 11' Vutec DynaCurve screen is one foot wider and reflects less light (0.8 gain) than Theo's previous screen, a 10' Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 130 (1.3 gain). I calculated that the new screen requires a projector with twice the light output to match the brightness of Theo's previous projection system, which used a Digital Projection M-Vision Cine LED 1000.

Vutec's SoundScreen features a black acoustically-transparent fabric layer behind the white screen.

SoundScreen woven material offers superior sound transmission versus perforated screens, but like other woven acoustically transparent screens, its gain is a rather low 0.8. Initially, Theo tried a SIM2 Lumis Uno 3D with the new screen. The Lumis did a great job with 2D content, but its light output (rated at 2600 lumens) was still not enough for engaging 3D viewing.

Swapping the Lumis Uno 3D with the Superlumis solved the limited 3D brightness problem. The Superlumis came equipped with an EC (extended contrast) lens, which gives up a bit of maximum brightness for deeper blacks. With the EC lens, the Superlumis outputs 3800 ANSI lumens—more than enough for 3D.

Installing a ceiling-mounted projector like the Superlumis is not a one-person task.

Theo didn't just update his screen and projector. On the audio side of the system, he installed a Krell Foundation 4K/UHD-compatible surround pre/pro, which feeds decoded digital audio to his California Audio Technologies (CAT) amplifiers and speaker system. Thanks to the superior acoustical properties of the woven screen fabric, combined with the fidelity of Krell's pre/pro, Theo's theater sounds better than ever.

I was present for the Foundation installation—in fact, I helped Krell President Bill McKiegan install the unit into Theo's rack. Plugging it in took mere minutes, and dialing in the sound took only a few more minutes. The primary reason for choosing the Krell was the quality of its preamps—in Theo's theater, I heard the same quality and precision that I experienced in my first Foundation demo.

Theo (on the right) poses with Bill McKiegan next to the newly-installed Krell Foundation pre/pro.

The irony of this system update is that it won't last long. The near future promises cinematic spectacles with 4K/UHD video and 3D immersive audio. Eventually, that will necessitate another audio and video equipment update—but not yet. In 2015, Blu-ray remains the king of quality.

In its current form, the Roxy 2.0 makes the most of the cornucopia of content already available in 1080p. Theo has over 3200 Blu-rays in his collection, including 152 3D titles.

Theo's impressively large and well-organized collection of DVDs and Blu-rays.

The Superlumis projector contributes greatly to the cinematic experience of watching movies in the Roxy 2.0. It's a 3-chip DLP design, which avoids the rainbow artifacts that some viewers experience with single-chip DLP projectors that use a color wheel. The result is a projected image that looks solid and seamless. Movies shot on film look like real film on his screen—restored Technicolor productions look particularly lush.

I have not had a chance to watch a complete movie from beginning to end in Theo's theater. But I've watched dozens of scenes from different movies, from black-and-white and color classics to the very latest 3D Hollywood blockbusters, such as Transformers: Age of Extinction and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. In its latest iteration, the Roxy 2.0 offers a truly compelling viewing experience.

Chicago looked great playing on Theo's updated system.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-29-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 03-24-2015, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Great looking theater! The first shot in the collection of photos makes it look very simple but surprisingly fantastic in quality. I bet it would be a real treat to see in person.
ZOOM ZOOM likes this.

Video Mitsubishi 3800 onto 108 inch DIY AT screen.
Processor Marantz 5502A
7.4.4 with front wides and no rear surrounds.
post #3 of 71 Old 03-24-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked: 5022
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
I love these articles! Looks amazing.

The great thing about projection is that you can get a huge image for half the price of a typical (decent) TV, and it's more than worth giving up a little bit of black level for the benefit of having a home theater. All you need is the projector, a mount, and a white wall, which is still way more impressive than a typical TV (as long as the lights are out!).
post #5 of 71 Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Theo should have gone with a Trinnov, Steinway, or Datasat... he could definitely afford one of those... and be ready for advanced Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, even Auro3D decoding.

The Krell Foundation looks like it's already long in the tooth.
thehun, OzHDHT and doublewing11 like this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #6 of 71 Old 03-24-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Mark, sounds like Theo made some significant changes. Compared to before, what is the biggest improvement to the audio? Were any changes made to seating locations?

Last edited by Orbitron; 03-24-2015 at 05:24 PM.
post #7 of 71 Old 03-24-2015, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The next best thing to owning a theater like this, is reading about one.
All I can say is WOW.
qwho51 likes this.

post #8 of 71 Old 03-24-2015, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Mark, sounds like Theo made some significant changes. Compared to before, what is the biggest improvement to the audio? Were any changes made to seating locations?
Seating locations remain the same. In terms of audio, perhaps the biggest change is in the screen material itself. Theo sacrificed a fair bit of gain for the woven screen, but the reward is superior imaging and high frequency response compared to perforated screen. Plus, anyone seated in the front row no longer has to worry about seeing moire or grid-like perforation patterns.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #9 of 71 Old 03-24-2015, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Simply awesome.
BillFree likes this.
post #10 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Always love to hear what Theo is up to with his wonderfull theater. Thanks for the update!

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #11 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So much for Greece's austerity measures. I'm curious what it costs to do something like this. Every time I look at these images I keep picturing a new Z51....then I imagine myself playing video games on my computer in there. This is truly an expensive hobby, but also every man's dream.

It seems like people that take it to this level are probably replacing equipment that, even when outdated, would trump anything that the average person would purchase in a big box store. What do you think happens to the old stuff?
post #12 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntstambo2 View Post
It seems like people that take it to this level are probably replacing equipment that, even when outdated, would trump anything that the average person would purchase in a big box store. What do you think happens to the old stuff?
The original writeup that Mark did quoted Theo as saying "But the equipment were expensive and I would never have been able to afford them without the participation of my friends in the industry (Stewart, Crestron, CAT, DP, Monster, etc.) who saw the theater not only as the right space to showcase their technology but also as a room that proves that you do not need a huge amount of real estate to get into the right mood for watching a movie", so I'm going to guess the old stuff probably goes back to those who supplied it.

I think this theater is fantastic, and I love the aesthetic he took on this one. The gear is pricey, but it also performs. For the typical theater builder, what he's done represents a smart way of doing it. Spend less on the build and more on the gear. If the sound and picture is the most important, the budget should go there first. If you just want a fancy glamorous room to show off, allocate more of your budget to that.

Out of reach of many, but a good philosophy.
imagic likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #13 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
How much noise did the cooling system for the Sim2 projector make, given that it puts out 2-3 times more lumens than your typical consumer grade projector?
post #14 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
How much noise did the cooling system for the Sim2 projector make, given that it puts out 2-3 times more lumens than your typical consumer grade projector?
Great question. Next time I am there I'll measure its effect on the noise floor. Thanks to the extensive acoustical treatments in the Roxy 2.0, I could barely hear the projector. I've owned a few inexpensive projectors, the Superlumis did not strike me as being louder.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #15 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Great theater but I'm curious as to why Theo chose to upgrade now.

DTS:X, 4K or LED or laser projection, and UHD BD are just around the corner. Why not wait a few more months?

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #16 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Astonishing. It is really great looking, and the Krell must make it sound like you are in Valhalla. Thanks for making us dream

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212 turbo subwoofers
Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player, Modded Rega RP1 turntable
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #17 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 49
How far back from the screen is the front row seat? I'm guessing 1x screen width?

Thanks,
Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator

Last edited by Tom Monahan; 03-25-2015 at 03:17 PM.
post #18 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Theo should have gone with a Trinnov, Steinway, or Datasat... he could definitely afford one of those... and be ready for advanced Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, even Auro3D decoding.

I'm pretty sure the Foundation will be able to be updated when it is needed.
post #19 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Krell is touting the Foundation as upgradable.... I'm wondering what their new Flagship Processor might be capable of when it's released in the next year or so...They make some good gear!!!
post #20 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwear View Post
How? Are they going to add a separate decoder/renderer onto the main unit and link them through digital control? It doesn't have enough outputs to do 3D audio unless I've missed something.

post #21 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
Krell is touting the Foundation as upgradable.... I'm wondering what their new Flagship Processor might be capable of when it's released in the next year or so...They make some good gear!!!
The Foundation was introduced in 2013, i wonder how it's architecture can be upgraded to the immersive technology that wasn't even in existence back then.
post #22 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
How? Are they going to add a separate decoder/renderer onto the main unit and link them through digital control? It doesn't have enough outputs to do 3D audio unless I've missed something.
We'll see. You may be correct but maybe not. The Foundation is supposed to be upgradable. But we've heard that one before.

Last edited by rwwear; 03-25-2015 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added something.
post #23 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
We'll see. You may be correct but maybe not. The Foundation is supposed to be upgradable. But we've heard that one before.
Without more outputs, it certainly can't be upgraded to 3D audio. Physically impossible. Maybe an HDMI board can be swapped out for UHD Blu-ray support and HDR video, but I think that's about it.

I could be wrong, but it looks like that Krell is now a very expensive door stop.

post #24 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Well DTS listed Krell as a company that is going to support DTS X. ..supposedly with a product this year...I'm crossing my fingers that somehow the Foundation can be retrofitted to employ the new format
post #25 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOM ZOOM View Post
The next best thing to owning a theater like this, is reading about one.
All I can say is WOW.
Still do not have a projector myself, but a decent sound system for my big screen.

I can just drool a lot

Nice work.
post #26 of 71 Old 03-25-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Without more outputs, it certainly can't be upgraded to 3D audio. Physically impossible. Maybe an HDMI board can be swapped out for UHD Blu-ray support and HDR video, but I think that's about it.

I could be wrong, but it looks like that Krell is now a very expensive door stop.
Krell would do right by offering a trade-in program if it's doomsday.
Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #27 of 71 Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
what a killer setup. Im drooling with jealousy
post #28 of 71 Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Foundation was introduced in 2013, i wonder how it's architecture can be upgraded to the immersive technology that wasn't even in existence back then.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Well DTS listed Krell as a company that is going to support DTS X. ..supposedly with a product this year...I'm crossing my fingers that somehow the Foundation can be retrofitted to employ the new format
Quote:
Krell would do right by offering a trade-in program if it's doomsday.

I know the answer but I am not telling.
qwho51 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #29 of 71 Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:

yeah I don't understand this choice either.

Blazar!
post #30 of 71 Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
yeah I don't understand this choice either.
Please refer to the post just prior to yours.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
frontpage , Home Theater , krell , Sim2 , Vutec

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page