mikela's SBA/Trinnov Theater Build - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 805Likes

post #601 of 729 Old 06-01-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Any ideas on what material you will use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 729 Old 06-01-2017, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
Any ideas on what material you will use?
It will likely be some flavor of GoM or equivalent acoustically transparent material. Color is TBD.
post #603 of 729 Old 06-02-2017, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
It will likely be some flavor of GoM or equivalent acoustically transparent material. Color is TBD.

Before you mess around with that you should get the room finished and send me measurements so I can finish off the back wall design and you can get that installed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.
Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Too many to show in my signature - see here for the master list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 729 Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Before you mess around with that you should get the room finished and send me measurements so I can finish off the back wall design and you can get that installed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is the plan.
post #605 of 729 Old 06-08-2017, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Having spent the last two days reading through all the pages of this thread has been very inspirational. Given how many subs you are implementing in your design, have you thought about implementing an external DSP for the subs and using software like MSO (Multi Sub Optimizer) to tighten up the bass response? I recently did this for my theater as an augmentation to DIRAC and the improvements have been quite impressive.
post #606 of 729 Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 1799
Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you might go with black....
post #607 of 729 Old 06-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
My guess is HOT pink
post #608 of 729 Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
Having spent the last two days reading through all the pages of this thread has been very inspirational. Given how many subs you are implementing in your design, have you thought about implementing an external DSP for the subs and using software like MSO (Multi Sub Optimizer) to tighten up the bass response? I recently did this for my theater as an augmentation to DIRAC and the improvements have been quite impressive.
The sub array on the front wall is acting as a single bass...think "wall of bass". It is optimized (phase and time aligned) along with the other loudspeakers using the Trinnov. I don't see a real need for anything else.

Last edited by mikela; 06-09-2017 at 11:49 AM.
post #609 of 729 Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you might go with black....
That would be a pretty good guess although a dark grey might also look pretty good. In any case, the reason I have begun focusing on aesthetics design is to determine what carpet to install (any thoughts would be welcome) and not to begin construction of the actual panels which I thought was obvious. I would rather take measurements for Nyal with the carpet installed rather than having him "allow" for it in his analysis. In any case I think the panels will have negligible effect on the measurements given that they will not be covering the treatments. So installing them later shouldn't matter.

BTW if I do go black then I will name my theater "The Event Horizon" where light cannot escape.
sdrucker likes this.
post #610 of 729 Old 06-09-2017, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Colors . . .

I've had good luck with deep /ruby /garnet / merlot reds which in low light tend to disappear

and dark grey walls, black low lustre wooden floor, deep red/ black patterned carpet

Back in my "Spirit of Diy" thread I made mention of the most non-reflective light absorbing black paint that unfortunately also seems to be made with "unobtainium"

no one knows how to get any . . .

I'll dig back and find the name . . .

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #611 of 729 Old 06-09-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
To follow up . . . and be tracked down

Thought some of the more OCD fellow HT rabbit hole inhabitants may have found a source.

Vantablack was first created by researchers in 2014, and was found to be the world's darkest material — capable of absorbing 99.96 percent of ultraviolet, visible and infrared light. The material is not a paint, pigment or fabric, but a special coating designed to achieve a near total lack of reflectance, according to Surrey NanoSystems, the company that produces Vantablack.

Since its initial development, researchers have increased the material's blackness. In 2016, the research team announced on YouTube that an updated version of the material was so black no spectrometer was able to measure how much light Vantablack absorbs — meaning it the first material material so 'black' that it can't be measured, according to the researchers. [10 Technologies That Will Transform Your Life]
MORE
Partner Series
World's Blackest Material Now Comes in a Spray Can
Vantablack is now available in a spray-on form that blocks 99.8 percent of ultraviolet, visible and infrared light — enough to make an otherwise detailed 3D object appear as a flat black void.
Credit: Surrey NanoSystems
Though it may look like a 2D cartoon wormhole, "Vantablack" is the blackest material known to science.

Vantablack was first created by researchers in 2014, and was found to be the world's darkest material — capable of absorbing 99.96 percent of ultraviolet, visible and infrared light. The material is not a paint, pigment or fabric, but a special coating designed to achieve a near total lack of reflectance, according to Surrey NanoSystems, the company that produces Vantablack.

Since its initial development, researchers have increased the material's blackness. In 2016, the research team announced on YouTube that an updated version of the material was so black no spectrometer was able to measure how much light Vantablack absorbs — meaning it the first material material so 'black' that it can't be measured, according to the researchers.

Now, a variation of Vantablack (known as Vantablack S-VIS) is available in a spray-on form that blocks 99.8 percent of ultraviolet, visible and infrared light — enough to make an otherwise detailed 3D object appear as a flat black void.

"If you see [Vantablack S-VIS] on a flat surface on its own, with no other black material to reference it against, it just looks like a black velvet surface," Ben Jensen, chief technical officer for Surrey NanoSystems, recently told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. (ABC). "If you see it on a 3D object, like crinkled foil, the coated side still looks like a black two-dimensional flat surface. It's only when you turn it around and you realize that it's got a lot of dimensionality, that you grasp how different it is."

Though Vantablack is not commercially available, Surrey NanoSystems has licensed the product and is pursuing multiple new applications, ranging from science to art. Universities, museums and similar research institutions can also request a sample of Vantablack — "a sealed 'crinkled foil' display unit," according to Surrey NanoSystems.
biga6761 likes this.

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #612 of 729 Old 06-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Quote:
That would be a pretty good guess although a dark grey might also look pretty good. In any case, the reason I have begun focusing on aesthetics design is to determine what carpet to install (any thoughts would be welcome) and not to begin construction of the actual panels which I thought was obvious. I would rather take measurements for Nyal with the carpet installed rather than having him "allow" for it in his analysis. In any case I think the panels will have negligible effect on the measurements given that they will not be covering the treatments. So installing them later shouldn't matter.

BTW if I do go black then I will name my theater "The Event Horizon" where light cannot escape.

Haha! Nothing wrong with that. Can I still escape?

What did you have in mind (for carpet)? Do you want a design or do you want as dark black as possible? Do you want soft or durable?

If you are looking for your room to be a Black Hole, this is an excellent resource if you hadn't read it already: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...r-go-back.html
post #613 of 729 Old 06-09-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Just go fifty shades of grey.
BrolicBeast likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #614 of 729 Old 06-10-2017, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
Back in my "Spirit of Diy" thread I made mention of the most non-reflective light absorbing black paint that unfortunately also seems to be made with "unobtainium"
I read about Vantablack some time ago, however, you hit the nail on the head...unobtainium.
biga6761 likes this.
post #615 of 729 Old 06-10-2017, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
What did you have in mind (for carpet)? Do you want a design or do you want as dark black as possible? Do you want soft or durable?
I definitely want it dark in the proximity around the screen. My main concern with a really dark carpet overall is being able to see where you are walking. So maybe a dark carpet (maybe black) with some minimal pattern might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
If you are looking for your room to be a Black Hole, this is an excellent resource if you hadn't read it already: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...r-go-back.html
I haven't read the whole thing but probably should.

p.s. I really miss the feature where you could see all the images on a thread without having to go through each page.
bombertodd and biga6761 like this.

Last edited by mikela; 06-10-2017 at 09:08 AM.
post #616 of 729 Old 06-12-2017, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
p.s. I really miss the feature where you could see all the images on a thread without having to go through each page.
I would LOVE to have that feature

Also I'm all for more black, any other color would seem like a performance compromise
mikela likes this.
post #617 of 729 Old 06-14-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
If you look at the thread's URL, you see that it starts with the number "1946625". Copy the thread URL into Google and delete everything after the number. Go to the front of the URL and insert "[/img] site:" before the URL. Hit enter or click the search icon. Select Images in Google search. You are telling Google that you specifically want to search for pictures in this thread that have the /IMG tag. You will now see most of the pictures in the thread. Even though some pictures have been uploaded to AVS, I think they still don't show up in Google search. I'm not sure why. If you leave off the [/img] tag in the search, you get even fewer results.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1946625-mikela-s-sba-trinnov-theater-build.html

becomes

[/img] site:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1946625

How many of @Scott Simonian 's meme's do you see?

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #618 of 729 Old 06-14-2017, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I also vote black. You've gone this far with it, why stray from it now?
post #619 of 729 Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
You have done an amazing work there.

Ashley HomeStore
post #620 of 729 Old 06-15-2017, 06:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5494 Post(s)
Liked: 5080
something less than black would emphasize the acoustic treatments and unique design of the space. Like a patterned gray. If the room is a black hole it is hard to discern the details.
post #621 of 729 Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
I also realized that I hadn't rerun calibration since installing the bulk of the acoustic treatments. Re-calibration made a significant improvement.
If I am following correctly, the first pic below shows the room after acoustic treatments, but before recal. Did the treatments alone improve the things? I know it is subjective, but would you characterize the improvement from the treatments as 'significant' or 'subtle' ?

Did you save your measurements from your original Optimizer run? That before & after Optimizer run would show how your room measured before acoustic treatments. How bad was the room to begin with and were there things that the Trinnov was unable to correct?

Quote:

post #622 of 729 Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
If I am following correctly, the first pic below shows the room after acoustic treatments, but before recal.
Correct.

Quote:
Did the treatments alone improve the things? I know it is subjective, but would you characterize the improvement from the treatments as 'significant' or 'subtle' ?
Yes. Nyal suggested I listen to the changes as I installed the treatments. Indeed, they were quite noticeable. It's as though the treatments turn your room into a surround processor to quote Sanjay who also heard the room at various stages.

Quote:
Did you save your measurements from your original Optimizer run? That before & after Optimizer run would show how your room measured before acoustic treatments. How bad was the room to begin with and were there things that the Trinnov was unable to correct?
I did compare the "befores" and there were some changes albeit more subtle than I would have imagined. The sound stage and imaging were greatly improved anectdotally.
biga6761 likes this.
post #623 of 729 Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

madVR works with SLI

Looks like Ivan does know what he is talking about.

madVR and SLI
post #624 of 729 Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Looks like Ivan does know what he is talking about.

madVR and SLI

?

Madshi himself has confirmed that sli has no effect on madvr, nor when you logically think about it could it possibly ken any difference.

As always, buy the best card you can before you do sli, only if it doesn't meet your requirements do you go for sli. This obviously doesn't apply for awesome deals and when you only play AAA games.

For any other purposes outside gaming save for very select software packages does it make sense to invest in two cards rather than one monster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #625 of 729 Old 08-17-2017, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Carpet & unRaid server/HTPC

I have decided on this black carpet. I have my carpet crew coming by this weekend.

On another note, I have completed my unRaid server/HTPC. See link for details.

It is an unraid server with Windows 10 running virtually. I have jriver (music), kodi (movies), madVR and MPC-BE installed. Shout out and thanks go to @ivanpino for his assistance. Image quality on 1080p material is near 4K quality to my eyes...very impressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sever build.png
Views:	1340
Size:	941.5 KB
ID:	2269146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack.png
Views:	1321
Size:	792.4 KB
ID:	2269148  

Last edited by mikela; 08-17-2017 at 11:38 AM.
post #626 of 729 Old 08-17-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

It is an unraid server with Windows 10 running virtually. I have jriver (music), kodi (movies), madVR and MPC-BE installed. Shout out and thanks go to @ivanpino for his assistance. Image quality on 1080p material is near 4K quality to my eyes...very impressed.
Thank you Mike for letting me take part.
post #627 of 729 Old 08-23-2017, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Carpet is being installed in about a week.

Carpet is Masland style:Hemingway, pattern:9426, color:899 Deep Sea

Wall fabric is GoM Quadrille 4701 Opus 1012

I will be putting Joanne's velvet about 3 feet out from the screen on both walls and ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Indoor.png
Views:	1274
Size:	963.9 KB
ID:	2272106  

Last edited by mikela; 08-23-2017 at 08:48 PM.
post #628 of 729 Old 08-30-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Carpet is being installed in about a week.

Carpet is Masland style:Hemingway, pattern:9426, color:899 Deep Sea

Wall fabric is GoM Quadrille 4701 Opus 1012

I will be putting Joanne's velvet about 3 feet out from the screen on both walls and ceiling.
What is that fabric on the far right? Is that the covering of a grill of some sort?
post #629 of 729 Old 08-30-2017, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
What is that fabric on the far right? Is that the covering of a grill of some sort?
The object on the right is a Geofusor (diffuser) that has been painted barbecue black (like those already installed) for comparison. All the items in the photo are actually much darker than shown.

Photo of Quadrille from GoM site

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Quadrille.png
Views:	1135
Size:	735.2 KB
ID:	2275390  
AudioJosh and biga6761 like this.
post #630 of 729 Old 09-02-2017, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Carpet installed

Carpet has been installed. The improvement on the screen has been dramatic. It now floats in blackness even with the door unpainted. Yes, that will be happening soon. I left space underneath the steps to install LED strip lights. I have been looking at the Philips HUE system. I will need an extension in order to light the steps on both sides.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carpet 1.png
Views:	1981
Size:	822.0 KB
ID:	2277144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet 2.png
Views:	2010
Size:	842.8 KB
ID:	2277146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet 3.png
Views:	2002