The Wonderboy Theater -- small, but maximized space - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 98 Old 02-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Just read through your build thread...wow! What an awesome job you’ve done especially when limited by space.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bubbrik is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 98 Old 02-06-2018, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fazzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
Just read through your build thread...wow! What an awesome job you’ve done especially when limited by space.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! There's certainly plenty of things I wish I did differently and I absolutely wish I had more space to work with, but it's mine and it's a lot better than what I had before.
Fazzz is offline  
post #93 of 98 Old 02-06-2018, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Fazz, there are many similarities between our builds! I have a question on the rear riser as I'm struggling a bit with ideas for a low (6'8") ceiling.

What's the height in your rear riser area? Any issues with clearance, projector etc?
dennwood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 98 Old 02-06-2018, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fazzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennwood View Post
Fazz, there are many similarities between our builds! I have a question on the rear riser as I'm struggling a bit with ideas for a low (6'8") ceiling.

What's the height in your rear riser area? Any issues with clearance, projector etc?
My ceiling is about 7'1" after the subfloor and drywall. My riser is about 9" high (built with 2 x 8s with two sheets of plywood and carpet on top) so there's about 6'4" of headroom when standing on the riser to the ceiling. I'm 6'3" so I barely clear with no issues. The riser to the bottom of the soffit on the side as you walk down the steps is only 5'6" high so if you're not careful you'll hit your head walking down the stairs. Hasn't happened yet to anyone who's been in the theater since it's been built. From the top of the riser to the bottom of the PJ is about 5'4". You can see in the picture below that the PJ is placed at the back of the last row of seats so there's no way to walk back there. The only way you'd hit your head on the PJ is if you were standing on the chair. I've had no issue with the low height. Sound is fine and even Atmos sounds great.

I wish I had more height to work with as I really would have liked the riser to be 10-12" high, but you gotta work with what you have. 6'8" will be very tight but as you can probably see on this board, anything is possible.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_210803.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	2357244  

Last edited by Fazzz; 02-06-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Fazzz is offline  
post #95 of 98 Old 02-06-2018, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Thanks so much :-) If I do go with a riser, I'll do a two stage one so the chairs themselves are elevated 8-10 inches, but the area immediately in front of them would be at 3-4". This would provide 6'4" clearance if you were standing to access the back row. I figure that might work..and seeing your theatre is inspiration indeed.

What I'm thinking is that the 1st row might be tied into the 4" section of riser stage and open up my room (room is 18'6" long) when the kids want to party a bit. Basically the 1st row seating would push back contacting the 2nd...expandable seating if you will :-)

Aside from great execution in your space, the trim job you did to finish it off looks amazing..great work!
dennwood is offline  
post #96 of 98 Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fazzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennwood View Post
Thanks so much :-) If I do go with a riser, I'll do a two stage one so the chairs themselves are elevated 8-10 inches, but the area immediately in front of them would be at 3-4". This would provide 6'4" clearance if you were standing to access the back row. I figure that might work..and seeing your theatre is inspiration indeed.

What I'm thinking is that the 1st row might be tied into the 4" section of riser stage and open up my room (room is 18'6" long) when the kids want to party a bit. Basically the 1st row seating would push back contacting the 2nd...expandable seating if you will :-)

Aside from great execution in your space, the trim job you did to finish it off looks amazing..great work!
I like the idea of expandable seating. I also thought about doing a platform just under the chairs on my riser to add another 3-4", but scrapped the plan. I figured I could always just put some kind of booster under the chairs on top of the carpet if I decided I needed some more height once things were finished. That way I wasn't married to it once carpet was installed. I don't think I'll put something down, but that would be a nice option for you to make the height work.
Fazzz is offline  
post #97 of 98 Old 12-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Member
 
Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post
The whole space has been painted (at least above where the chair rail will go) except for the columns. Went with a grayish color from Benjamin Moore and black ceilings.
do you remember what specific BM black paint you used for the ceiling? it looks really good. I was thinking of going with their Ben ceiling paint in black (which is flat).
Rooster is offline  
post #98 of 98 Old 01-08-2020, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fazzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
do you remember what specific BM black paint you used for the ceiling? it looks really good. I was thinking of going with their Ben ceiling paint in black (which is flat).
Sorry - wasn't paying attention to notifications on my own thread. The paint I used was BM Regal Select Flat Finish 547 80 black. It's literally just the base black paint color with no colorant added into it. I was told it's the blackest paint color BM offers. It is really dark. Very happy with this paint.
Rooster likes this.
Fazzz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off